Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Stupid Doom save spam that I did.

Ok, I was just mad from one thing I did. I should learn to not save spam.

It's not the "saved right when I was hit and died".

It's a bit worse or better depending. I was approaching a line that ends the level. And saved just right there. Usually when I end the level without knowing a button or a line would end, I load back because I wanted to complete all secrets. Now, everytime I load I will trip the line and finish the level and no time to go back or idclip. Never got duped like this by my manic savespam.

Then I said what the heck, I just have to play the level from autostart save. But when I do some back happens (the map is Osiris) and the dead shotgunners spawn shotguns. It's very weird. So I am afraid it will create later problems in the game and will lose more time.

The reason I savespam is maybe my fear I will lose time by an unexpected trap. I finish levels like this, maybe a bad habit.

Can you bind idclip to some button and press it immediately after loading the save?

3 hours ago, Optimus said:

The reason I savespam is maybe my fear I will lose time

Lose time? I'm curious to this one - Doom, and gaming as a whole, is just a time killer, so you're not saving time per se. :P

Hitting ALT+F4 and doing something more useful with one's life might be considered saving time! :)

Spoiler

Yep, insulting myself and everyone here by saying that all we do is waste time. Whoops! :P

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Yep, insulting myself and everyone here by saying that all we do is waste time. Whoops! :P

Time/money spent on a hobby is time/money well spent.

I totally agree, otherwise I wouldn't have pumped a few thousand hours into Doom mapping. It was more just stating that you're not really saving time, per se, rather they are 'speeding up' their gameplay. :P

One time I saved while moving forward and ended up in an inescapable nukage pit back on Doom II for XBLA while doing the UV achievement. Luckily I had a second save at the very beginning of the level. Since then I always keep (at minimum) a two save system: one for the very beginning of the level, and another for the progression of said level. That way if I ever screw up bad enough I can restart the level. Usually these days I keep four saves instead: one at the beginning, and the other three on a rotation for map progression. I save after every major encounter. Save scumming is an art IMO.

5 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Save scumming is an art IMO.

It would be interesting if the game counted how many times you save\load per minute or overall. I remember Blade of Darkness did that and it would insult you for very high save count. Someone, make a ZDoom mod like that!

At least your progress wasn't overwritten outright by a save from another pwad. Using multiple saves is really the best way to go. Save into the second slot when picking up a key, then after the next key the third, and just rotate between them. Can't go wrong there.

There are many many topics about saving, and people telling people not to save. It is the best though, saving is the best. Take the saves from my cold dead hands! Keep on saving, Doomer!

Plus what we're talking about probably isn't even save-scumming, that was coined to describe reloading a bunch to cheat in gambling mini-games and stuff like that. Odds are you're just saving, frequently/as often as you want, as was allowed in FPS games since the dawn of mankind. True that with spamming the button you may want to go to the menu and alternate some save files though.

Edited by PsychoGoatee

4 hours ago, Linguica said:

Theoretically you could hex edit the save file to change your velocity...

Or could he edit the map with SLADE and move the linedef further away without rebuilding nodes etc? Would the savegame work then?

^ Depends on engine I suppose? Pretty sure ZDoom does some kind of check (checksum perhaps, might only be filename? Never tested it) of the file to know if the save is compatible.

Ah, that same thing has happened to me a fair few times before as well, more or less (and probably to most of us). I remember the last time it happened I saved right on the knife-edge of a blind dropoff with no way back up (which I didn't know at the time) with just a tad too much momentum, and so sort of save-locked myself out of exploring the rest of the level. A little easier in my case since I could just IDCLIP the issue away, of course (though I chose not to!), but take this experience as an illustrative example: compulsive/obsessive saving has risks. No matter how much apologism you may see on its behalf, it can easily become a bad habit and can feed into other bad habits in your playing as well, and I stolidly maintain that for many of the most hopelessly afflicted players it actually wastes more time than it saves by solidifying bad situations, many of which may not even directly be your fault. Pragmatism aside, someday you might consider trying to play a level with something like a self-imposed limit on the amount of saves you make, or something like that--you might be surprised how much of a positive impact it can have on your enjoyment of and immersion in the game. @NoisyVelvet was doing that in the DWMC's recent playthrough of New Gothic Movement 2 (a slaughter WAD with no implementation of difficulty settings), for example, and it seemed to work well for him, a fine idea.

All that being said, if you decide you're happiest savespamming away instead, more power to you, but you'd probably be well-served in taking the advice everyone else has already given you, and taking the trouble to use more than a single slot, so that you can better avoid self-imposed oopsies like these. ;)

Restart the level from the beginning or just fuck it and continue on to the next map. You can get secrets in other maps too.

Personally, I just save at the beginning of each level, then I hope for the best.

13 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

what port are you using? If the port has a console you could just open it instantly and type noclip.

I didn't think of that, yet I was trying to press escape after loading to pause with the menu and still would finish. Damn, I don't have the save to reproduce it anymore, it would be interesting.

I also thought of editing the level to remove the trigger, then move back save again, edit the level to add the trigger, but of course I knew it would not work because of checksum. There are a lot of things I could have done, but didn't know enough about save game files or other, so I thought I'd waste more time than just even replaying.

Also, in another note, I realized the bug I mention about spawning ammo is a problem with this wad (possibly the deh file) and zdoom. A pretty funny one :)

Due to fuck ups like the one described in this thread, I'm now used to stop, make sure no one is in my immediate vicinity, and then save.

That's because I save to 2 save slots: one in beginning of the level, and in the middle.

^ I think I remember the Halo games had some sort of autosave feature, but it tried to detect if you were safe before using the autosave.  I think it was more than simply checkpoint based saving, at least.  Although, I don't know for sure how it was implemented and my memory of it was from a long time ago.  The saving mechanism seemed to autosave whenever the player slowed down and no monsters were firing at you, regardless of situation.  And in the off-chance it fucked up and accidentally saved as you were driving off a cliff, it would just revert to the previous save after several deaths, or something like that.

Anyways, that's what this thread reminded me of for some reason.