Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Zandronum & GZDoom are unable to tell the difference between Doom BFG & Doom non-BFG

Can you post the startup log when launching Doom2.wad?

You get that when starting GZDoom with 'gzdoom +logfile log.txt' from the command prompt.

1 hour ago, The Doommer said:

How is this possible while I have the original IWADs ?

You are yet to actually prove this. SHA1 hashes or bust.

Try to confirm that the only IWADs on your computer are in C:\IWADS. This can be done by moving all IWAD files to another drive (like a USB stick). If there are no IWADs available, you'll get a screen like this:

jDNNerM.png

(EDIT: To avoid confusion, the screenshot was with GZDoom 3.0.1 but I just retried under 3.1.0 and it's exactly the same.)

Granted you don't have to remove every IWAD just to check the Doom1/Doom2 cases, but please be thorough (considering this still isn't resolved).

Your Ultimate Doom and Doom II non-BFG IWADs are confirmed valid, but the same can't be said of the BFG ones. You can check MD5/SHA-1 hashes with this online utility and compare them to the DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD DoomWiki pages (relinked for convenience).

Edited by CapnClever : clarification

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

You are yet to actually prove this. SHA1 hashes or bust.

Actually he did give the SHA1 hashes in this post

Well then, it looks like ZDoom is screwing the pooch somehow. This just got interesting.

Doesn't GZDoom log in its console the full path of the IWAD it loads? If not, it should. Maybe log the hash, too. It is doing the hash operation anyway, right? So there is no extra overhead to jist output it in the console.

On 27.6.2017 at 9:13 PM, The Doommer said:

And if it was a hacked IWAD why QZDoom & ZDoom are able to identify them as Doom II : Hell on Earth & The Ultimate Doom ?!

Makes me wonder if the GZDoom's cfg is different from QZDoom or ZDoom configs. Does your gzdoom-username.cfg have lines such as: 

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=c:\some_edited_iwads

One could try to backup or rename the GZDoom's cfg file and copy and rename the current ZDoom cfg in it's place?

k guys no more bickering im here to solve everything.

hey op, why the hell would you want the bfg edition as opposed to the originals, the bfg edition has a stupid pill on the health packs and the nazi levels arent even nazi anymore rofl just delete the bfg edition and be more happy

That was stupid and uncalled for.

As for the problem, it's a doozy. Where exactly did you get your version of GZDoom, OP?

It's really hard to make heads or tails out of this, esp. since the rate of replies to the OP far exceeds the OP's willingness/capability to keep up and cooperate.

The only hard facts so far seems to be that the OP has the original doom.wad and doom2.wad, and that's it. No positive proof of him even having the BFG edition somewhere. I hate pointing fingers, but we're not being  given the whole picture here.

9 hours ago, VGA said:

Doesn't GZDoom log in its console the full path of the IWAD it loads?

That was precisely why I was asking him to post the startup log.

I'm sorry but we need more information here. Something is off and it's very hard to tell what because there's no info.

23 hours ago, Edward850 said:

You are yet to actually prove this.

The WADs are extracted from DOS versions of "The Ultimate Doom" & "Doom 2". No need for proof.

21 hours ago, xttl said:

Actually he did give the SHA1 hashes in this post

I changed the wads to the extracted ones from the original DOS games. And I just mentioned here and said running GZDoom had the same result.

Edited by The Doommer

10 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

That was precisely why I was asking him to post the startup log.

Startup.txt ?

EDIT : forget it , I found the answer.

Edited by The Doommer

Mystery solved: there's a nondescript "./doom2.wad" being loaded from GZDoom's folder, therefore the IWADs in C:\IWADs are NOT the only ones on your system and search paths.

14 hours ago, Maes said:

there's a nondescript "./doom2.wad" being loaded from GZDoom's folder

Well it seems right.

There was some IWADs inside GZDoom folder and actually I didn't noticed them.

Well , sorry for taking everyone's time. That's the only thing I can mention for not getting a warning or offensive comments...

EDIT : 

Just for proving the whole thread wasn't a joke or sth I need to say that Zandronum isn't even showing the doombfg.wad and doom2bfg.wad this proves that the detection in Zandronum is based on name.

Edited by The Doommer