Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stonedbaroness

Possible Co-Op Megawad Project Ideas if any?

I've been wanting to make some sort of Co-Op Project with the community, That doesn't mean I want to start yet and throw the project at you guys without me releasing some maps first. I've been trying to brainstorm any possibility of some sort of like idea on what we could map for or something. It sounds like Zandronum in Doom 2 format would be the best since it supports 8 player spawns, also as well as making all the maps aligned to a 32 grid? That way you could add a little bit of more detail to some structures, but not too much to distract. People never want to work with UDMF which is completely fine and even I understand it can be possibly the most time consuming, non productive map format because of all of its features and how easily it can be to get too experimental with its stuff. So Thats why I've come to the conclusion that the best middle ground would just be Zandronum in Doom 2 format thanks to GZDoom builder. I'd like to hear some input from you guys, don't just start mapping unless you are real tempted. This is mostly another one of my Ideas threads.

Well i was thinking of a WAD to make pretty recently in which take's place in a Building and you gotta work your way down kinda like Die hard

16 minutes ago, Maisth said:

Well i was thinking of a WAD to make pretty recently in which take's place in a Building and you gotta work your way down kinda like Die hard

Sounds good! would be a great cooperative map in a mapset of 10 or 20 or so

14 minutes ago, Flesh420 said:

I want to do this!  Have thought about making coop specific maps for years.

What format would be best in your opinion for the task? Ive contemplating between zandronum in doom 2 or gzdoom in doom 2 (The zandronum format has the skulltag weapons which i kinda dont want, but thats up for your guys's say.)

Honestly, any map with more than 2 players should be more slaughterish, since it would give players a lot more to do. But I mean, it sounds like a really good idea, a mapset that is DESIGNED for co op.

2 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Honestly, any map with more than 2 players should be more slaughterish, since it would give players a lot more to do. But I mean, it sounds like a really good idea, a mapset that is DESIGNED for co op.

Exactly! especially slaughterish and add some co-op traps, Ammo Rooms, Starting weapons if the player had not collected the such items from the previous map already, etc. It sounds like itd be really good!

here is a good recipe if u actually finish something for zandronum:

-map format doesn't matter but keep it friendly for software (no sloped 3d floors and bright enough to see)

-for the love of carnevil don't blindly go for a 32 map megawad

-keep the maps short and sweet (hard without filler) so maps don't take an hour to beat and can be restarted painlessly in survival

-short maps are preferred because of the survival gamemode. long ass maps aren't good for pub, only private groups

-make it difficult because even some of the hardest stuff on singleplayer falls to pieces with 8+ players. we do at least have these things called 'gameplay mods' to add crazy weapons and much more difficult monsters however (or gasp entirely different ways to play). good 1/2+ of the servers run complex doom and some brutal doom. zandronum 3.0 beta is upping the gameplay wad amount, more stuff from zdoom

-new monsters preferred over new weapons, as new weapons clash with weapon mods.

-nobody cares about skulltag content and its boring ass monsters, don't even bother there (exception: invasion mapsets)

ok good luck

22 minutes ago, Combinebobnt said:

here is a good recipe if u actually finish something for zandronum:

-map format doesn't matter but keep it friendly for software (no sloped 3d floors and bright enough to see)

-for the love of carnevil don't blindly go for a 32 map megawad

-keep the maps short and sweet (hard without filler) so maps don't take an hour to beat and can be restarted painlessly in survival

-short maps are preferred because of the survival gamemode. long ass maps aren't good for pub, only private groups

-make it difficult because even some of the hardest stuff on singleplayer falls to pieces with 8+ players. we do at least have these things called 'gameplay mods' to add crazy weapons and much more difficult monsters however (or gasp entirely different ways to play). good 1/2+ of the servers run complex doom and some brutal doom. zandronum 3.0 beta is upping the gameplay wad amount, more stuff from zdoom

-new monsters preferred over new weapons, as new weapons clash with weapon mods.

-nobody cares about skulltag content and its boring ass monsters, don't even bother there (exception: invasion mapsets)

ok good luck

Thanks for your advice man! And by the way I was only thinking of maybe a 5-10 level wad to test the waters :) Yea I didnt want to bother much with skulltag either, so I may just stick this to GZDoom in Doom 2 format to reduce any possibility of using any of Zandros built in skulltag things by accident.

There is this thing that some mappers do with coop maps where there are two switches that must be used by two players in order to proceed. Please don't do that. Sometimes, a coop server only has one player on, and this type of thing makes the map unplayable.

5 hours ago, UAC-Janitor said:

What format would be best in your opinion for the task? Ive contemplating between zandronum in doom 2 or gzdoom in doom 2 (The zandronum format has the skulltag weapons which i kinda dont want, but thats up for your guys's say.)

To me the best option is just straight Zdoom in Hexen format, only because MOST ports support it.

2 hours ago, Flesh420 said:

To me the best option is just straight Zdoom in Hexen format, only because MOST ports support it.

I kinda like GZDoom 2 in doom format better only because its more towards simplicity. is that bad?

11 hours ago, Maisth said:

On 6/25/2017 at 2:24 PM, Empyre said:

There is this thing that some mappers do with coop maps where there are two switches that must be used by two players in order to proceed. Please don't do that. Sometimes, a coop server only has one player on, and this type of thing makes the map unplayable.

This is also needs to be considered to. We need:

- Short to medium length maps perfect for Survival

-Minimal detail (Make maps with just 32x grid so you can do some smaller polishing) so we can focus more on gameplay

-Storyline? probably not but its always fun to have one

-Plutonia style Teleporters at the start and end of each level would be cool to.

-No extra monsters or weapons, we need this to be as mod compatible as possible

-Use Features that zandronum provides, such as 3D Flooring and Dynamic lights/ colored lights/ fogs / ambient sound effects

-Mp3's because why not? Nah, just kidding we'll use midis for the base wad then include an optional mp3 file.

-Im thinking CC4 Resources

-Only New actors we include are props themselves, like different colored columns or something. Nothing else besides that.