Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Kill The Cyberdemon

A while back I had an idea for a pretty simple multiplayer game mode where two teams each have a cyberdemon that they have to defend, while attempting to kill the opposing team's cyberdemon. Each time a team's cyberdemon would die, the other team would score one point. The cyberdemon would respawn a few seconds later with 100% health again. The Cyberdemons would be the same hp, speed, size, etc. They would also be immune to splash damage but also immune to friendly fire from it's own team. The cyberdemons would of course be colored red or blue per the team they are on.

I talked to a friend of mine many years ago and he very quickly whipped up some code and a test map as a proof of concept, but I can't find it anywhere. I don't know what happened to it. I don't know what script language was used (I don't know anything about that kind of stuff) but hopefully it was something that would work on all three major multiplayer source ports.

I'd like to see this type of game mode explored further. The maps of course would be framed similar to CTF maps, except with Cyberdemons instead of flags and an open battle arena where the flags would be. I think there's potential for innovative map design things too, similar to Cyberdreams, like being able to guide the cyberdemons into crushers or something, or being able to summon monsters for infighting at the opposing teams expense.

Does anyone think this would be a cool/popular idea? Would anyone be interested in working with me on something like this?

nice idea that's why someone literally already made this for skulltag along time ago. It barely got more players than the skulltag gamemode itself and then faded away just like everything else in zandronum now. idk where the wad or filename or anything is but it might have been called 'attack the cyberdemon' or defend or idc. It also had a custom mapset too lol.

now with the wdl and idl in retirement home land I'd spend my efforts on coop/survival and 'party mod' stuff instead. Deathmatch may still have hope, maybe... alot of the new players don't want to bother with the boring grind and losing hundreds of times to get into competitive doom and would rather just go play cooperative instead (I'm already transitioning into survival)

Interesting. I fairly certain that's gonna require ACS, but maybe it can be done by ZScript alone.

I like the idea. Like Bob said its super hard to get people to do ANYTHING but survival/coop, ctf and (on a good day) some deathmatch, great mods like Dodgeball and stuff haven't been played in yonks, but considering making shit is half the fun, I like this idea.

How about "Herd the Caco" or "Cacoball" (essentially soccer) where you have to push the caco into the other team's net. It can be moved by momentum from firing or pushing and can't be killed. Or you could give it HP and there's a penalty for "deflating" the ball. :)

That's not the worst idea job. If someone would code it I could wrangle some people for playing and feedback. Something similar would be Overlord which is a bit fun but has plenty of problems as well.

As for Kill the Cyberdemon, yes it exists and is pretty medicore. If someone were to attempt to make it suck less I'd be curious.

Herd the Cacos?

Well for staters, remove all AI from the Caco, make it pushable, lower mass, give it a bounce effect similar to grenades. Can be done in DECORATE.

Then add a kick attack. Easy enough. No other weapons.

But there needs to be script so that when the cacoball enters a "net" so that the team member gains a point for the team and the cacoball respawns in the field again. The former won't be that much of a problem if it's a duel match.

2 hours ago, Voros said:

Herd the Cacos?

Well for staters, remove all AI from the Caco, make it pushable, lower mass, give it a bounce effect similar to grenades. Can be done in DECORATE.

Then add a kick attack. Easy enough. No other weapons.

But there needs to be script so that when the cacoball enters a "net" so that the team member gains a point for the team and the cacoball respawns in the field again. The former won't be that much of a problem if it's a duel match.

You got it. This is pretty much how I imagined it. Obviously you could have options to enable or disable some of its AI (think quidditch) depending on what you're looking for. The caco possibilities are endless.

Hell, I would LOVE to play caco polo, where you've either got opposing teams of cacos you play as or with the marines mounted on their steeds (more sprite work though), controlling flying directions akin to the fly cheat and shoot fire balls from their caco mount as an alt fire. They would try to score against one another's aerial goals, maybe herding a baby caco or lost soul. Many possibilities IMO.