Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

I cannot "X", therefore I "Y".

Anyone can stumble upon a problem. Most often, people learn to overcome them like everyone else, but there are times when one designs or implements a radically diffrent method that achieves the goal or is quite close. Not everyone is skilled nor has resources to do the same as anyone else, and the other percentage of people who haven't given up surely managed to come up with their own way of doing things.

So I ask thee, netizens of Doomworld, how did you manage to overcome a certain issue when dooming; when mapping, when playing games, when scripting, anything, and what happened afterwards? Do you still use that method? What people think of the method, those aware of changes?

My example: I had always wanted to make a weapon mod, but drawing and coloring down every frame by frame is annoying to me, and I am not really sure how to do it. So as of lately, I have decided to do it id software style, making "weapons" out of cardboard and paper, then grabbing my smartphone and video-ing myself doing things with it (firing, reloading, aiming), and I am currently learning how to implement the frames as anyone else. I have not dipped into this project yet but it is one of the things I plan to do this summer.

Taking photos and videos like this isn't my first time doing it. I had often made poses and took pictures of myself so I could draw my frame and pose down and add details afterwards. I am still experimenting, but to me, it is a heckuva lot of fun to do, playing around, making poses and silly expressions, then drawing them down later.

So, what do you do when you can't do?

I used to keep getting issues with my maps gameplay wise (still kinda do), because I'd learn they play the map much differently than me.

Now I send every playtest map to my brother via dropbox for him to try before releasing.

Hmm...you can or can't do X sometimes, then Y is another solution....But there's a Z factor to get it...

I actually subverted this.

You know, there's a lot of work with constructing new textures from already-existing, newly-composed, or both patches, especially when you do something like LITE3 (or, worse, STONE). Lots of the same stuff repeated, only offsets are changing, and you have to make each offset one by one. Tedious and time-consuming, and if you happen to use a lump editor messing everything up, make one wrong step and you're basically back to square one for the hell of it.

So, why wouldn't you do it in MSPaint, and make the whole thing into a single patch and then a texture instead?

This above I particularly rejected and went on the hard way anyways.

21 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Just look at my username, I got all the solutions!

And even both numbers used in binary code! That makes it perfect. ^^

Edited by Cell