Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stonedbaroness

Good "Refreshing" Doom mods for Zandronum?

I'll be a little more clear. Are there any mods for Zandronum that don't alter the game play TOO much, but add some nice an nifty things? I came up with a Combination of Mods that seem to keep the gameplay pretty vanilla, but with some nice touch ups!

(NONE OF THESE ARE MADE BY ME, THEY'RE JUST RECOMMENDATIONS)

Mods:

-mr_enhan.wad

-Pickups Randomizer V1.0.pk3

-D64WEAPX.WAD

The mr-enhan.wad is a mod that randomizes the enemies you encounter, but not too much randomizing, its more of things like nice little variants such as stone imps or Cacoliches, Occasionally with some more special enemies that'll make you rethink some strategies. Enemies such as Flesh Wizard would cause some rethinking. The best part about this mod, is that It doesn't just put a pile ton of zombie men variants into your gameplay, but rather keeps it minimalist with a few new touches. That new touch is the Chaingunner for the ultimate doom, meaning you can finally face chain gunners in doom 1! (Although they have different sprites from the actual chaingunners, they fit the game!) Also I cant forget to mention that it does change in some spawning mechanics for the zombie classes, including that sometimes you maybe might find a zombie man in a zombie sergeant spawn or the other way around to mix things up a bit when encountering large swarms of them. Each enemy in the game has atleast 1-2 variants (Except for the Arch vile I think..) So in turn, keeps gameplay refreshing on a slight setting. Now, how about the other mods?

The Pick ups randomizer randomly puts different size pick ups within the original spawns of such items like ammunition or health points. This mod can either benefit you or hurt you depending on how much you can find, as well as additional pick ups that give a different percent of either Armour or health depending on the item. It goes really well with the Monster randomizer.

Now finally, is this D64WEAPX. This mod contains most of the weapons from the D64: Unabsolved mod without the menu and leveling system, which means you can finally equip an Uzi as its own weapon. In replaces certain weapons with a different kind of weapon that stays within the same class. So for example, if I were to go up on a chaingun spawn, I maybe might find an Uzi instead. Each weapon is actually pretty balanced with the mods Listed above and all in all, makes the vanilla experience much more refreshing and fun to play again! Try these on your server and put em up for the test to see if they're as functional as I thought they'd be!

This actually sounds quite fun, like a mini version of Complex Doom without the Complex. I could probably do without the D64 weaponry, but if I remember (my memory is dogshit) I'll put one up on Doomshack with a fun map pack to go with it. Interesting suggestion!

40 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

This actually sounds quite fun, like a mini version of Complex Doom without the Complex. I could probably do without the D64 weaponry, but if I remember (my memory is dogshit) I'll put one up on Doomshack with a fun map pack to go with it. Interesting suggestion!

The D64 weaponry actually fits pretty well despite its different graphics, I strongly suggest you try it!