Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slimz

Lets talk about demons on Doom 2 and 1.

I just wanna talk about demons on Doom 2/1 Cause I'm bored and nothing to do.
I thinking myself cacodemons are like Christmas decorations and such.

Cacos always reminded me of crunchberries. Though in a Christmas themed wad, I'd imagine they could work pretty well as the hostile decorations of some giant xmas tree within an arena.

The SFX of a missile being launched by a Revenant never fails to make me think that it's actually saying "around you".

The demons are extremely good at killing everyone but doomguy. Enough to force humans to flee the planet in doom2. Maybe they grow stronger depending on fear around them and doomguy happens to completely lack that feeling. 

I'm gonna list it from the best to "fuck it, fuck this map, fuck you, fuck this gay earth!"

1- Barons

2- Caco (to be honest, I skip killing cacos on almost all of my playtrough. they're just too adorable for me to kill.)

3- Mancubus

4- those formers (including chaingunners)

6- Revenant

7- Imp (remembers the box ghost in Danny Phantom? the gang's reactions to him is my exact reaction to it)

8- Demons (playing pistol start and suddenly there's bunch of it in front of me. nope)

9- Archville.

10- Spectre (again fuck spectres in dark corner)

Barons - Good and keep up the pace

Hell Knights- id Software obviously ran out of ideas, but they still keep up the pace

Lost Souls - absolutely fucking annoying

Pain Elementals - uuuggggghhhhhh

Revanants - not horribly annoying, but they really give you a good challenge

Mancubus - I personally cant find a good use for them, but they do serve there purpose in Doom II

Former Humans - I like what @rdwpa said about them, they are fodder and just plain fun to gib. But they can be used in later levels for a better gameplay over all. which demands strategy on the players end.

Imps - they make for a tougher SOB over the former humans. but they are an excellent reflex challenge on Nightmare! difficulty.

Cacos - Rhymes with my favourite food 😀. Excellent for high levels like The Chasm. And they are always happy! 

Archviles - A freind of mine says i look like one because Im very tall, skinny, and have huge hands 🙂. With that aside though, they are a demon that should defintely be on the top of your killing priority list. Thats when Doom II shows that it really doesnt give a shit about coddling you.

Demons & Spectres - i hate them, intry to use them as least as possible in my maps

I think the demons of Doom are bunch of negative thoughts and who-knows-what merged into a single shape.

In combat, they're meat shields and shotgunning a horde of them is like watching ice melt. Would prefer to dispatch them with the rl or BFG9000. In -fast command, they become more fun to fight.

Cacodemons has always been my favorite, I would love to have a cacodemon as a friend in all honesty, They always look so happy... 

Archviles has always been the monster I always hated, Really a pain in the rear to kill without it attacking you at the same time. 

Not to mention the fact that it HAS TO REVIVE EVERYTHING IN THEIR PATH, And why does he kill them after reviving them... Doesn't make any sense. 

I have a question: why do some demons have mechanical stuff on them? I don't know if I missed something in the manual, but it's weird to me.

21 minutes ago, Ghost-Cat-Sarah said:

Cacodemons has always been my favorite, I would love to have a cacodemon as a friend in all honesty, They always look so happy... 

Archviles has always been the monster I always hated, Really a pain in the rear to kill without it attacking you at the same time. 

Not to mention the fact that it HAS TO REVIVE EVERYTHING IN THEIR PATH, And why does he kill them after reviving them... Doesn't make any sense. 

Archviles aren't nice supports. They are abusive selfish bastards who don't care if everyone dies as long as the archvile remains alive, Demons he find unworthy get blasted into hell again!

Surprised that the bosses are not included because they are demons too...

a lot of people think pain elementals are annoying, but i think their attack is a cool idea and they're cute too. especially the noise when they get hurt. all of the doom enemies are great in their own ways, though

15 minutes ago, Ghost-Cat-Sarah said:

Archies are my favorite monsters! :-) As for balance, they do have 2 key weaknesses: they won't target you if you are more than 896 map units away, and it takes them something like 3 seconds to complete their attack. This lets you avoid or escape damage in most cases.

As for why they keep killing and reviving enemies, they have unusual behavior compared to other monsters. All other monsters have a "targeting threshold" which governs their infighting behavior. Let's say there's a baron and a caco in the room with you. If you don't shoot, and the caco hits the baron with a fireball, then the baron becomes "angry" at the caco and attacks it. You have 3 seconds to attack the baron without it retaliating -- its angry at the caco and nothing else will distract him (this is particularly useful for boss monsters). When that 3 seconds is up, it will continue attacking the cacodemon (if the caco is still alive), but he will now change targets if damaged by something else. If you did hit the baron before the caco did, you would notice that the baron will continue attacking you for those 3 seconds, and ignore damage from the caco...

The arch-vile does not behave this way. It always attacks the last monster/player to damage it. This can be a good thing: if you need the arch-vile to stop targeting you, it's relatively easy to make something else in the area hit him. It can also be a bad thing. If you're lobbing rockets into a horde of infighting monsters, and your splash damage touches an arch-vile in the middle of attacking another monster, he can turn on you and grill you instantly.

To answer your question: The monster being revived probably hit the arch-vile, so he roasted it. Then he was like, "Hey look, a corpse! I know what to do with these..." and he revived it.

i really like how they handled demons in Doom 2016. i had a lot of trouble killing them in that game at first. it takes a while to get used to taking them down, where in the original Doom they're almost defenseless.

edit: i'm assuming that by "demon" you mean pinkies and not just demons in general

5 minutes ago, moonboot said:

a lot of people think pain elementals are annoying, but i think their attack is a cool idea and they're cute too. especially the noise when they get hurt. all of the doom enemies are great in their own ways, though

Pain elementals are brown (Not trying to be racist) and creepy.

Then I see one of them... I save and jump to lava.

they are super adorable with their big red eye and those two little horns! plus they can't hurt you if you hug them. truly the sweetest and best Doom monster.

2 minutes ago, moonboot said:

they are super adorable with their big red eye and those two little horns! plus they can't hurt you if you hug them. truly the sweetest and best Doom monster.

This thing I know... with big red eye looks adorable but spawning stupid lost souls on my face is not cute.

1 minute ago, moonboot said:

PE's are the WORST Doom monster! Especially in ZDoom-based ports, which don't limit the lost souls. A few of these in a busy room, or a horde of these in a slaughtermap, and you can easily spend 10 minutes and all your ammo cleaning up the mess. Ugh!

Just now, 42PercentHealth said:

PE's are the WORST Doom monster! Especially in ZDoom-based ports, which don't limit the lost souls. A few of these in a busy room, or a horde of these in a slaughtermap, and you can easily spend 10 minutes and all your ammo cleaning up the mess. Ugh!

This is true.

you guys focus too much on the unimportant stuff like gameplay. the only real way to rank the monsters is by their cuteness.

Just now, moonboot said:

plus they can't hurt you if you hug them.

Well that's... An interesting way to deal with them...

13 minutes ago, moonboot said:

they are super adorable with their big red eye and those two little horns! plus they can't hurt you if you hug them

It's harmless, we know that but....let them live for a while and you'll regret it :D...and hope that you have berserk if you're out of ammo...

10 minutes ago, moonboot said:

you guys focus too much on the unimportant stuff like gameplay. the only real way to rank the monsters is by their cuteness.

Here ya go! ;-)

sig-3967594.ku-xlarge.png

i got the cacodemon plush for christmas one year but they stopped selling the pain elemental before i could get it!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr

maybe it's on amazon or something, but it's totally gone from the bethesda store