Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slimz

Lets talk about demons on Doom 2 and 1.

1 minute ago, Maisth said:

The real demon here is the player

Hmmm....probably. Also, what about the Icon of Sin aka John Romero? If you can't kill him, it will continue to spawn monsters left and right (fortunately no bosses but still)...

You are a revenant. You don't know what you were in a previous life, were you human, demon or something else? All you know is what the ugly demon teacher taught you, you like and hug other demons.. And kill the annoying punching bags that refuse to follow food chain and die to feed demons. 

One day you graduate by punching a stupid hell knight to death after it called you a useless glass canon, that idiot sure didn't see it coming. You were awarded with a cooler armor that has rocket launchers similar to those you saw in the cool predator movie, Your parents would be so proud of you if such a thing actually existed. You can't wait for the next step of your life, it has to be a good one right? 

You get to stand before the spider mastermind, the great planner that aspires to get the biggest amount of food to end the world's hunger. It sees great potential in you, it takes a while to figure out your lifetime's job; You are an arch guard. sounds good!

Until you meet the ungrateful bastard they call an archvile. He slaps you whenever you speak, you can't understand anything he says because he talks in reverse and he spends all day staring at a stupid yellow skull for some reason. at least you have your 2 friends to entertain you! A cool revenant you play cards with at day time (you are cursed to never fall asleep, sadly) and a cacodemon that is pretty much a giant cuddly dog.

One day your friends go to the blue key temple to get some grocery; skulls, guts and a jar of eyes for dessert. They usually take 30 minutes but it has been 4 hours and neither returned. You begin to worry and ask your boss if you may go check on them, he slaps you and tells you some crap you don't understand. You beg him and he continues to incoherently blabber at you. You give up and go back to standing there guarding him from nothing. Suddenly a marine in blue armor rushes into the room and looks at you for a second, You wonder how the hell he managed to get here but remember your job is to protect the archvile at all costs.

The human drops the pistol he is holding and tries to get one of the HUGE number of guns on his back helplessly, not to mention the guns are covered by a backpack for some reason but it doesn't matter as much. You manage to punch him in the face that he flips and gets thrust into the wall, you could even hear bones crackling as your fist connected with his face. He curses your mother and takes a huge shotgun out somehow.

He rushes to you and gets at point blank range. You realize something is wrong and dodge to the side at the very moment he fires, he looks at you in a shocked way for a second, did he expect you to stand still and get hit? You try to punch him another time but he dodges and reloads his weapon rapidly. The archvile comes into the room to see what is going on.

The marine shoots you from a distance, you managed to block some of the damage by covering yourself with your armored arms, one of the only good things you have over other revenants. The human utters a frustrated gasp and runs behind the wall, dropping his shotgun on the floor.The archvile rushes to the door and locks it somehow. The marine comes out and shoots a rocket toward the archvile, you don't know why but you instantly decide it is smart to jump infront of the rocket and block it for the archvile, All you could hear is sinister whispers as it happened.

The marine quickly shoots another time, this time it tears your left arm off and stuns you in place, you slowly shamble backward as another rocket hits you in the face. All is void of a sudden. You can't see or hear anything. This place is eerily familiar, you realize it; you've died again. Your friends probably got killed by the marine as well. What a tragic ending. You hope your asshole boss dies slowly and painfully, along with the mastermind that put you there in the first place.

The entire place lights on fire, it never happened before! "What is going on? Why am I back here!?" as you see the marine aiming at you with his rocket launcher again. He shoots but both you and the archvile behind you easily dodge it. The marine tries to shoot again but his weapon clicks, must be out of ammo. the archvile emits a terrible shout as he points at the marine, probably ordering you to finish him. the marine rushes to the shotgun and that is the most stupid thing he could do, you upper cut him as he grabs it, smashing both his helmet and blue armor. He is helmet-less and in a soldier uniform. You fire your own rocket in revenge on him before he lands on the floor. sending him to the wall. He smashes into the wall and falls covering the whole place in blood.

What the hell? He stands up like nothing hit him and rushes toward the archvile, the vile jumps behind you and uses you as a meatshield while the marine tries to get a shot on him. The two run around you trying to dodge each other. "FUCK YOU" screams the marine as he shoots you, it hurts extremely and you almost fall but regain balance in the last second. The archvile slaps you pushing you toward the marine. you try to punch the marine but he crouches at the very last second. He shoots you in the face! 

You feel that you've died again, but before it even happened you are alive and fully healed. "STOP DOING THIS" you scream at the archvile as he kept using you as a meatshield. You punch the marine again, he tries to block it with the shotgun but your punch destroys the weapon. The marine crawls quickly to the door and attempts to open it to no good.

The archvile slaps you away and raises his arms into the air, fire begins to glow all over his body and the marine's at the same time! The marine screams in horror as he tries to open the locked door while fire burns him alive, Suddenly you hear the sound of a blast, the marine launches into the ceiling and explodes into burned bones. It is done, revenge is served with the fury of hell.

The archvile stares you in anger and begins to slowly walk toward you as he mutters more indiscernible words. "I RISKED MY LIFE.. I DIED TO SAVE YOU ASSHOLE, YOU SHOULD BE GRATEFUL", you try to punch him but fall to the floor as more whispers cloud your thoughts, very loud whispers. The archvile raises his arms and begins to burn both himself and you, this time you die.. And never wake up.

Edited by Pegg

Nice story man. And one lesson...never trust the archvile. That multiple personality, skinny, backstabbing jerk...

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

I have a question: why do some demons have mechanical stuff on them? I don't know if I missed something in the manual, but it's weird to me.

Because it's sinful to contaminate bodies with modifications? My theory is that the Spider Mastermind and Arachnotrons once were an alien race capable of controlling various machines and creating dimensions by thought. Something went wrong when SM's brain got corrupted by an unknown exterior force that resulted in warping a chunk of the alien dimension to Hell which in turn got mechanized. The spiders then became malicious killing machines and the SM's thought was used as a gateway to corrupt UAC's teleports.

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Here ya go! ;-)

(picture)

I do have the Cacodemon one, but I can't resist squeezing it, so I put it in a wrap and set it aside ;P

3 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

PE's are the WORST Doom monster! Especially in ZDoom-based ports, which don't limit the lost souls. A few of these in a busy room, or a horde of these in a slaughtermap, and you can easily spend 10 minutes and all your ammo cleaning up the mess. Ugh!

That is why we

A) Avoid ZDoom based ports when we can, or

B) Use compat settings to keep things reasonable.

I hate when an arch-vile resurrects barons, I end up wasting a lot of rockets.

21 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

That is why we

A) Avoid ZDoom based ports when we can, or

B) Use compat settings to keep things reasonable.

Question, PE has a limit using compatibility settings? and how much?

12 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Question, PE has a limit using compatibility settings? and how much?

Vanilla Doom limited the PE to only spawning a LS if there were less than 21 LS's already in the map. If there were 21 or more, the PE was absolutely helpless and harmless. I know Boom-compatible and I think limit-removing source ports maintained this limitation. However, in [G/Q]ZDoom/Zandronum, there is a boolean inside compatibility settings that lets you turn this on or off. It is off by default.

21? Thanks. And yes, without that limit, it's a pain...

I generally use Zandronum and GZDoom and I can tell the suffering of many players dealing with the PEs

Yes dawg just go to Compatibility Options and find "Limit Pain Elementals Lost Souls" I think its called. Anyways I love both lost souls and pain elementals (the souls are awesome and cute while the pain elemental makes you prioritize it, which is why I LIKE it) and hate cyberdemons and mancubi (both are really annoying when you least expect it).

The only shitty monsters in Doom are barons and masterminds and a small handful of people still manage to use them well very rarely

Ok, assuming that by "demons" you mean the whole bestiary of Doom and not just pinkies, I would say I like them all and they all have their own features that add something interesting to the game. This is a good opportunity to express a few thoughts about each one. Warning: there's a lot of words in this post.

Zombiemen: these are the first guys everyone has found the first time they played Doom, the weakest one and in my opinion one of the funniest. Just turn IDDQD and play with one lonely zombiemen, look at his angry face while pew-pew-ing you, it's hilarious. But in maps where are abundant troopers, unlike health supplies, they might add more danger than relief. A horde of zombiemen killing each other is priceless.

Shotgunner: doesn't it happen to you that when you're low in health/armor, suddenly their accuracy gets better?... These are not jokers, they can be deadly when they come in packs. I like them the same time I don't, these can force you to camp behind doors or pillars, and it's important to memorize where the provided health/armor is in case these guys decide to slow your adrenaline. Harmony uses a stronger/more dangerous/more annoying sprite replacement, and I don't like that the shotgun is weaker but that's another story... 

Chaingunner: Oh these are Plutonia's main course. Even more dangerous than the previous ones, either because of their weapon or because of their HP. A good thing, and a feature that makes them serious opponents, is they can mow down a revenant, cacodemon, or in rare cases a mancubi. A bad thing, if you are a blind target, you can say bye to your life, they don't give you time to retreat. I like them but there's specific situations in which they are not fun to deal with, e.g. a distant chaingunner whose accuracy is almost perfect but yours is, not... blame the mapper for that

Imp: I can't reproduce their roaming sound in text, but it's one of my favourite sounds in the game. They are usually not a threat for me, but put them in packs in a compact room and I might say goodbye to my life. Not my favourite monster, sometimes they are more of a plague than a menace.

Cacodemon: I love these red fluffy fellows. Although they are not the strongest enemies, cacoswarms against a cyberdemon is a nice show, until the cyber falls and I applaud the winners. The only thing I don't like when dealing with these guys, is their ability to rush back when I shoot them, and I have to wait three minutes until they return to my spot. Oh and the fact you can't walk under them, grrr...

Hell Knight: Not too much to say, the revenant vs. hell knight is a classic. Usually they do not represent a threat for me, and the worst way to use them is on tall ledges where they have plenty of space to walk and avoid your projectiles. I like their sounds.

Baron of Hell: Same with hell knights, and I deny their popular reputation as "ammo sponges". Sure they do take some time to beat, but it's the mapper's fault if their sole purpose is to fill the space and consume your limited ammo. Personally, dealing with a Baron with the regular shotgun or chaingun is not a problem for me. There are ways to make the Baron a dangerous opponent, I think a well example is E3M1 of No End In Sight. But put four barons in a closed room without proper weaponry and no space or time to retreat, that's a bad use, and I've seen that. 

Demon/Spectre: They can be funny or annoying depending on the situation. Pinkies are fun to chainsaw and punch. They are really funny guys, for example in Plutonia's map 29 you can walk the pinkies and it's hilarious to watch them following you like dogs... On the contrary, spectres are almost always annoying, in my opinion. I hate when I can't see where they are and I shoot at nothing. And a very bad use is in pits where due to infinite height they can bite you from below and you can't jump to the next part because they are blocking your way. Oh and think of rocketing a baron and suddenly you eat a rocket but you don't understand what happened, and when the screen tones down the tint, you see a dead spectre in front of you, ugh...

Lost Soul: Another funny creature, yes they can be annoying sometimes but that depends on how they are used. I personally love when a lost soul charges to (or at?) a bigger monster and he gets pwned. AAAAAGGGHHH... *explodes*

Mancubi: This one used to scare me, its voice is deep and creepy. I like this guy, he's powerful, his projectiles are not easy to dodge, although once you know how to you never forget. In infightings he is very helpful, he can kill a Baron, that's says a lot. 

Arachnotron: One of my favourite enemies because of his consistent projectile attack, useful to lure them to infight other guys. I think these guys are underrated, they are not used as common as other mid-tiers (at least in the wads I know). Plus they do represent a threat in almost every way they can be used. These guys rules.

Revenant: Eww I hate these motherfu****, their stupid homing rockets ruin at least 70% of my runs. But I have to admit, they do represent a different challenge, you not only dodge a rocket, you pay attention to where the rocket is going. Good thing is that they are kind of weak, the bad thing is that in infightings they cannot resist that much against other higher-tier enemies. Another thing that make them tedious insects is that they have a very narrow target, and they easily can avoid projectile-based shots. 

Pain Elemental: Please don't hate what you don't understand. I think these guys don't deserve all that hate, just look at them, they become inoffensive when you hug them. Plus, they're cute. Yep, I said it.

Archvile: The one that gets all the attention, well yeah you should pay much attention to him. I like to call him "the barbecuer", this guy can turn the tables when you kill his fellow monsters. Well, temporarily fellows, because he can target whoever hits him. I wonder if the other enemies can see the archvile, it's really odd to see everyone ignoring the archvile. Maybe he's invisible to their eyes... Anyway, as time passes, I learned to like archviles.

Spider Mastermind: I call her "the lady", she is badass, my second favourite enemy. She can kill whoever she wants. I've seen SMMs beating cybers as much as the opposite. And I'll never forget that time when one single SMM offed a horde of over 100 various monsters. The negative side is that, due to her sprite being too big, she doesn't have too much mobility and can get stuck easily. When infighting various guys, she has the propensity to become paralyzed and, no matter the number of enemies attacking her, she won't do anything than wait to die. Another negative side is that is very rare to see her being well used as real threat. She doesn't belong to small rooms with cover, she is best used as a sniper, as a turret, or as a roamer. I myself opt to never use the BFG with her, unless it's "mandatory". Something I don't like is the fact that two big spiders can infight each other. This creates an obstacle to use more than one in the same map, in case you need them to be threatening or for infighting... Nevertheless, I will always cheer for her.

Cyberdemon: Well, the most powerful, "the sir", never take him as a joke. Back then when I faced him the first time, he used to scare me a lot (him and the lady). I used to shoot him from a very long distance, really the sound and the surprise effect their rockets have make him one serious opponent. I've seen him used well throughout the wads I played, but in some cases, they have been used in very cramped rooms where I had no other choice than pray for his sudden death. They are great when infighting, sometimes I'm amazed of how he can survive hordes and still walk like nothing happened. I like them, when they come one by one. It's always fun to watch them dying.

SS Nazis and Commander Keens are just easter eggs so I don't have an opinion about them. And the Icon of Sin is heh... 

Going in alphabetical order:

Arachnotrons - I think Mother Spidy has a huge and infestive web around Hell. These fellas sure keep you on your toes, spamming the entire area around with destructive plasma firepower.

Archviles - Slender, burning and explosive. Also moves around quite swiftly, and is apparently a shaman who ironically would turn against its revived one a split second should they accidentally hurt them. For some reason, any other hellspawn doesn't attack them on a deliberate level even after, but their splash is destructive enough to harm even their own kind.

Barons of Hell - Bulky ammo sponges when encountered apart from Phobos Anomaly. They inflict enormous damage and are not to be joked with unless you have appropriate weaponry. Their encountering howl and dying moan would always be amongst my personal top best sound effects, they're just so expressive.

Cacodemons - Flying, possessed raspberries with incredibly tasty-looking blue blood juice. Yum.

Chaingunners - Why don't make Mother Spidy into something much smaller and easier to dispose of, yet posing about the same level of danger in the sequel? They can even come in groups to make players' lives harder, but luckily, they would infight as well. Let's just hope they wouldn't be made snipers from a faraway window.

Commander Keens - Early examples of Cartoon Violence. I find myself lucky they can't use their Neural Stunner on me.

Cyberdemons - Oh well, classics of the genre, the partially cybernetic Harbringer clones who would inpopulate as many terrible custom levels as possible. But on the serious side - these fellas would never miss a chance to blast and gib you into a bloody mush, and you should never underestimate their power lying in the splash damage you'd still get even if you escaped the main impact. Beware, bad things happen in threes!

Demons - Similarly to the Dopefish, their brain system would only consist of "Walk, walk, bite", given how cluelessly they often seem to roam around. Being a melee-only monster, however, doesn't come with disadvantages only, given their speed and rather painful chomp. Better be disposed of fast, because if several, they can easily make ranged monsters' encounter more complicated.

Hell Knights - The absolute mid-tier, and also a replica of the Barons, only they're paler and more feminine in voice. They'd still give you the same huge amount of beating, but you're also prone to finish them off half a time earlier.

Icons of Sin: Talk about a rather dark easter egg, how you're supposed to kill the severed head of one of the major saviors of the game itself just to win it and come out triumphant. .siht ekil klat ot si tiart niam sih dna ,hO

Imps: Somewhat the most mainly encountered foes throughout, but it still doesn't make them tedious, at least in general. Impressive that they can still cause surprises, for example, gibbing Zombiemen for good. Implementing them either in solo or in groups can make or break levels throughout a well-thought set of maps. Impossible not to make even more puns of them. Impredictable this next one was, too.

Lost Souls: The major arch-enemy of players who prefer the Rocket Launcher. They also greatly can take advantage of marines on ledges, like any other flying enemies, but these in particular launch themselves instead of projectiles, sometimes making an utter waste on a well-aimed shot that would've made life better. The good news is, they'd always flinch back if shot.

Mancubi: About the same type of gross and ugly as dangerous it is. They might somewhat be related to the Cyberdemons, even though those are muscular and these are utterly obese - they're both partially cybernetic, they both release destructive firepower and they both do it in threes. Partial Invisiblity is not advised against these guys, unless they're surrounded with foes whom they'd receive a big beating from, but ironically this time, PI is rather a must. Surprisingly for their firepower, but mostly due to how slowly they react and how easily they get stunned, they oftentimes turn out to be the underdog against even weaker opponents. And if they do, gore they'll emit bad.

Pain Elementals: Brown Cacos full of flammable gas, which makes them the ability to fly and blow up if they die. Apparently they're also the source of all the rage Lost Souls inflict on unwary players. In fact, despite the R-Strategy type of how fast Lost Souls can be born, their arms would just wants to give a hug of the freshborn flaming skullies, indicating a K-Strategy level of caressing.

Revenants: Glass Cannons, similarly to Chaingunners (and HKs to a lesser extent), and unironically they're all sequel-only encounters. They're surprisingly vocal for being only a moving set of dem bones. Also, their knuckles are liable to do an equivalent of a badly messed up plastic surgery on your visage. Moving farther from them doesn't make the situation any better, because then you'd be given even more heat to your body by a missile seeking for the already existing one. EXTERMINATE NOW.

Shotgun Guys: They punish you bad if you let them and worse yet if you let them close. Just finish them off and harvest - take advantage of something intended to be a foe instead.

Spectres: Only pose real danger when in darker areas or areas designed with DOORTRAK only. And the latter ones are rarely a worth-play, so make your choice wisely. For the dark areas: if you hear a "Demon" encounter you, but don't see it anywhere, take suspect and be aware, those chomps still aren't joke.

Spider Masterminds Mother Spidy: Why on Earth should anyone make a victory such easy in Dis, I hardly can even start to fathom. Still you shouldn't be so easy if your weaponry is not proper enough.

Wolfenstein SS: I still can't make out their muffled "Schutzstaffel" perfectly, and they'd still be dangerous enough, despite being puny secret level-only encounters - at least for a somewhat well-mannered levelset.

Zombiemen: The absolute butt monkeys of the entire Doom universe. Heck, even in this list they're last.

2 hours ago, Cell said:

Why on Earth should anyone make a victory such easy in Dis, I hardly can even start to fathom.

It looks easy now, but what were your thoughts back then when you met the "Mother Spidy" for the first time?? 

I myself, died a lot of times, and was a little scared of her, plus no knowledge of the truth power of the BFG. 

When I saw that pixelated mastermind for the first time in SNES....I didn't knew what to do because of her super chaingun attack

16 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

It looks easy now, but what were your thoughts back then when you met the "Mother Spidy" for the first time??

I actually met Mother Spidy for the first time playing Doom 2 on UV in MAP06, which was an even easier victory, though I received quite a few bullets just on the way down the elevator. I pressed the switch on an instinctous level, and basically that was it.

But, as for Dis, I really did suffer, indeed, though I could still triumph over her without even strafing and only using the Plasma Rifle. I was about 20% HP by the time I finished, and I entered with 170% roughly as far as I remember. Still not bad from an 11-year old.