Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flump

Recommend Any Maps For A Doom Newbie?

I want to get hooked by Doom!

But I haven't found the time or maps that interest me enough to continue playing... So I highly appreciate any recommendations!

Hell Revealed (that one's tough though... beware)

Memento Mori I

Memento Mori II

Requiem

Alien Vendetta (also tough)

Scythe

Ancient Aliens (also tough)

Valiant

Well, I started with Scythe, which is pretty good. Not too tough, but harder than the base game. From there, try some of the older classics -- Alien Vendetta, Memento Mori, Hell Revealed, and start to figure out what your favorite style is. Do you prefer exploration? Combat? Atmosphere? Story? Do you prefer vanilla-style, with all the same monsters and limitations of the original engine, or do you prefer new monsters, new weapons, scripting, etc.?

Newer stuff tends to look better, but is usually quite a bit more difficult, so that's why I recommend starting out with oldies-but-goodies.

I'm not actually sure what to recommend here. If you're entirely new to doom, I would honestly suggest at least playing through the later levels of doom II on ultra violence before tackling the more "difficult" stuff like scythe, or speed of doom, or alien vendetta... Just to get somewhat comfortable with the game...

When that's out the way, and you have an idea as to which maps you liked and which ones you didn't, then it might be a lot easier to recommend something that suits your tastes.

A lot of us are speaking from a perspective that tends to play on the Ultra Violence skill only. If youre getting adjusted to the game, there really isn't any shame in playing anything on I'm too young to die because the threshold for general player skill has gotten very high over the years.

Some level designers dont take skill levels very seriously though, so expect to have your skills tested and try your best to keep up if you want to have a good time!

57 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

Hell Revealed

<jk>Gee, he asking us for some maps suggestion, not throwing him straight into a pitfall</jk>

jokes aside, yeah. I'd recommend you both HR and HR2 as well. those are good wads. :D

49 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm not actually sure what to recommend here. If you're entirely new to doom, I would honestly suggest at least playing through the later levels of doom II on ultra violence before tackling the more "difficult" stuff like scythe, or speed of doom, or alien vendetta... Just to get somewhat comfortable with the game...

When that's out the way, and you have an idea as to which maps you liked and which ones you didn't, then it might be a lot easier to recommend something that suits your tastes.

If he doesn't want to stay with the IWADs, he could try Doom The Way id Did series and Need More Details series too.

Edited by Deadwing

Doom: Damnation

UAC Military Nightmare (also the fan-made sequel), this is for the truly hard-core ones, though

Echelon

T 3 S T

edit: @Maisth I just haven't completed it yet, so can't recommend. :]

Edited by bzzrak

4 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

Doom: Damnation

UAC Military Nightmare (also the fan-made sequel), this is for the truly hard-core ones, though

Echelon

T 3 S T

You forgot its amazing Pre-quel Before the Nightmare

If you're completely newbie, we need more information about your experience in Doom so far to actually recommend you something that you may find according to your skills. Since there exist a huge variety of wads for all styles and tastes, it would be better to know what you're looking for in general as 42PercentHealth said. Also what Nine Inch Heels is important in my opinion, getting to know better the original iwads (Ultimate Doom, Doom II, to name a few) it's good to practice and incorporate the basic mechanics, if that what's you are aiming for. Also, for maps similar maps to the iwads, in terms of gameplay, you should try what Deadwing said, and my personal recommendations are Memento Mori I & II, Requiem, Icarus, FreeDoom, Heretic which is another fun game with similar mechanics from Doom, Scythe if you want something a bit harder. Those for beginners are perfect, in my opinion. 

I still emphasize you should tell us what you're looking for.

If you want to do some window shopping and find something that seems to pick your fancy, the Cacowards showcase the best work of the community. They do tend to be challenging, so don't play them on Ultra Violence. I'd recommend starting with one of the first 2 difficulty levels for anything past 2010.

https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

If we're considering id tech 1 games, then you must play Strife too. It's a FPS-RPG mix in a sci-fi medieval theme.