Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killerklown

Exception when I try to change floor and/or ceiling texture of a sector

Hi there! I'm new in Doom modding and in this forum. I started yesterday hacking around DB2 (I use gzdoom + doom2.wad) but I can't get through a very simple thing: I can't change the default floor and/or ceiling texture from a sector without raising an exception. I attached here the img of the exception and linked the content of the log using pastebin.
I really can't understand what gone wrong. I can run without problems the map with default settings, but when I cange texture, it throw an exception.
Please, can someone help me understand?

error log: https://pastebin.com/UpTqmu0a

error.png

Ok, I figured out it's not just when you change texture. Whenever I open the edit sector window, if I close it clicking on "OK" button, it throws the exception... Can someone help?

30 minutes ago, killerklown said:

Can someone help?

Maybe, I'll take a stab at it.

Since you did not mention which version you installed and neither how you installed it, this is going to be guesswork.

To function properly, DB2 needs some files in addition to the latest revisions. The easiest way that I know of to install those is to download version 2.1.2.1553 from http://www.doombuilder.com/index.php?p=downloads and let the installer do its thing. After that you should be good to go and map away.

Addendum:

You should be aware that Doombuilder2 is old and no longer supported by its programmer.

The successor is GZDoom Builder and more recently GZDoom Builder - Bugfix. Both add more mapping actions and support DOOM/DOOM2 format. But should you consider to map for Boom, GZDoom or Eternity than you can make use of those port features as well.

Edited by Kappes Buur

2 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Maybe, I'll take a stab at it.

Since you did not mention which version you installed and neither how you installed it, this is going to be guesswork.

To function properly, DB2 needs some files in addition to the latest revisions. The easiest way that I know of to install those is to download version 2.1.2.1553 from http://www.doombuilder.com/index.php?p=downloads and let the installer do its thing. After that you should be good to go and map away.

Addendum:

You should be aware that Doombuilder2 is old and no longer supported by its programmer.

The successor is GZDoom Builder and more recently GZDoom Builder - Bugfix. Both add more mapping actions and support DOOM/DOOM2 format. But should you consider to map for Boom, GZDoom or Eternity than you can make use of those port features as well.

I tried both Doom Builder version 2.1.2.1553 installed from doombuilder.com and GZDoom Builder - Bugfix (latest version, also checked with the updater.exe) and I have the same exception thrown... I tried using first the DOOM2.WAD from Steam version of DOOM 2 and then DOOM2.WAD from the GOG version (DRM-free) and nothing changed. I really don't know what could possibly be the problem.
Don't know if it can help: I'm running Windows 10 64 bit

I'm guessing that it's a system problem. Are all plugins, drivers, etc related to Windows updated?

5 hours ago, Voros said:

I'm guessing that it's a system problem. Are all plugins, drivers, etc related to Windows updated?

Yes, all updated.

6 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

In that case it would be best if you uploaded the map for someone to inspect your doings.

It's a very simple map... I just created a sector... Plus it runs flawless in test mode with GZDoom. Btw, here it is.

HelloWAD.zip

I've had this happen a couple of times in GZDoombuilder when I clicked the stairbuilder icon. Not sure what causes it and I haven't been able to reproduce it but quite sure it's not your system unless we both need to update our .NET framework.

Problem solved!
Something really strange was happening: if I doubleclick in "Make sector mode" on a sector, it opens the edit sector window, but it throws an exception whenever I press "OK" to close it. To make it work I have to right-click on the sector in "Make sector mode" and the exception is never thrown.
This is a really bad bug that must be hunt.

4 minutes ago, killerklown said:

Problem solved!
Something really strange was happening: if I doubleclick in "Make sector mode" on a sector, it opens the edit sector window, but it throws an exception whenever I press "OK" to close it. To make it work I have to right-click on the sector in "Make sector mode" and the exception is never thrown.
This is a really bad bug that must be hunt.

It probably doesn't store a reference to the sector you double-click.