Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flesh420

Serious Sam Bogus Detour

Anyone bought this?  https://www.gog.com/game/serious_sams_bogus_detour

I think it's a pretty damn good game, surprisingly similar to the FPS games in terms of craziness.  There's nods to other games, too.  Like the key cards resemble Doom's key cards ;).  A reference to Mario as well.  The editor is easy to use and I've been having a blast figuring stuff out with it.

So, anyone else playing this?  If so, what do you think?

I've been looking at it for a while, but it falls into a genre of a lot of good looking dual stick shooters.

I know I'm going to sound elitist, but if it's not an FPS, I'm not interested in a Serious Sam game.

Serious Sam also happens to have a lot of 2D fan-games in general, and they've never appealed to me.

I generally don't like the non-FPS Sam games as they generally have nothing going for them outside of general weirdness.

On 28.6.2017 at 10:52 PM, mrthejoshmon said:

I generally don't like the non-FPS Sam games as they generally have nothing going for them outside of general weirdness.

This one actually feels very much like a fully-fledged entry to the series, and has a lot going for it.

It pretty much has all the standard elements of the FPS games: Sam's one liners, the weapons, the enemies, the exploration, the secrets, even Netricsa and all the lore elements you can read up on when you kill enemies or pick up weapons. Compared to the other Indie entries, the developer actually put in a lot of effort to make the game fit in thematically as well - the enemies you fight are mostly drawn from the main FPS entries, as are the weapons, and it actually even bothers to explain things like how the Orcs from Serious Sam 2 fit into everything. There's tons of little details everywhere, like breakable objects, actual Egyptians being present in Egypt, the aforementioned explanations of story elements, the references to classic FPS like Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem 3D etc. etc..

To add ontop of that, there's also Coop, Survival, Deathmatch and full modding support -- the latter being a lot more flexible and easy to use than most modding tools these days.

Furthermore, the music is made by the same composer as the main games, Sam is fully voiced by John J. Dick, and all the sounds are the ones from the main FPS Serious Sam games, with some from the Talos Principle. So while it doesn't exactly look like a full-size Serious Sam title at first glance, it definitely feels like one when playing. Oh, and the pixel art is gorgeous in my opinion, it reminds me a lot of classic Sierra titles. I mean just look at this screen for example:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/862852479107744948/CA9CB77D389FCE21E7C02B047212490638936F0A/

I agree that games like Serious Sam: Double D and Serious Sam: The Random Encounter aren't very appealing compared to the main titles, and have very little in common with them. I don't like the Random Encounter either, and Double D's art style just seems weird and gross to me. They also often go off the deep end when it comes to the weird and wacky stuff. But Bogus Detour on the other hand does keep true to the FPS games, manages to balance serious and wacky elements, and plays great.

Even if you're skeptical from past Indie Sam games, I seriously recommend you to try this one.

I was going to give this one a look in to see if it held up but it turns out it isn't out on my console of choice, which sucks.

Might give it a go though i don't think Serious sam Formula belongs to 2D or Top Down view i think it belongs to FPS only

On 6/29/2017 at 6:06 PM, Doom64hunter said:

This one actually feels very much like a fully-fledged entry to the series, and has a lot going for it.

It pretty much has all the standard elements of the FPS games: Sam's one liners, the weapons, the enemies, the exploration, the secrets, even Netricsa and all the lore elements you can read up on when you kill enemies or pick up weapons. Compared to the other Indie entries, the developer actually put in a lot of effort to make the game fit in thematically as well - the enemies you fight are mostly drawn from the main FPS entries, as are the weapons, and it actually even bothers to explain things like how the Orcs from Serious Sam 2 fit into everything. There's tons of little details everywhere, like breakable objects, actual Egyptians being present in Egypt, the aforementioned explanations of story elements, the references to classic FPS like Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem 3D etc. etc..

To add ontop of that, there's also Coop, Survival, Deathmatch and full modding support -- the latter being a lot more flexible and easy to use than most modding tools these days.

Furthermore, the music is made by the same composer as the main games, Sam is fully voiced by John J. Dick, and all the sounds are the ones from the main FPS Serious Sam games, with some from the Talos Principle. So while it doesn't exactly look like a full-size Serious Sam title at first glance, it definitely feels like one when playing. Oh, and the pixel art is gorgeous in my opinion, it reminds me a lot of classic Sierra titles. I mean just look at this screen for example:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/862852479107744948/CA9CB77D389FCE21E7C02B047212490638936F0A/

I agree that games like Serious Sam: Double D and Serious Sam: The Random Encounter aren't very appealing compared to the main titles, and have very little in common with them. I don't like the Random Encounter either, and Double D's art style just seems weird and gross to me. They also often go off the deep end when it comes to the weird and wacky stuff. But Bogus Detour on the other hand does keep true to the FPS games, manages to balance serious and wacky elements, and plays great.

Even if you're skeptical from past Indie Sam games, I seriously recommend you to try this one.

The gunplay is very satisfying.  SSBD is top quality, for sure. Seems like with the terrible marketing it's going to become a hidden gem.

Edited by Flesh420

Just played it on 3 player co-op and thoroughly enjoyed it, the graphics style is nice simple and clear, there are plenty of weapons to choose from once you unlock them all and theres a nice variety in level design instead of nothing but Egypt.

In terms of complaints the abundance of mines on each level is a bit tiresome, some of the last bosses are rediculously tough and its also rather short, hopefully there will be plenty of additional campagins in the future.