Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schrody

Super Wad [WIP]

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but I've been playing DOOM years ago,
so finally I decided to download some editors and create my own doom levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg5i8zl3e0zaoo3/SuperWad.pk3?dl=1

It's a little mapset with 10 vanilla levels for DOOM II, with no difficulty setting (for now)
I tested all of them on Zandronum and GZDoom, plus different mods, like Brutal Doom and Project Brutality

I'm planning to complete the entire 32 levels, and add some extra stuff
This is all what I've done until now and I think it's pretty decent for releasing to public

All criticism and recommendations would be appreciated :)

Edited by schrody

My experience based on Level 1 and 2

I think its pretty good however i know this is vanilla compatible and there's gonna be some things that will look weird on Modern source ports but still it looks good

Now my problem here is that there's a lot of Misaligned textures and various door's that don't have Lower unpegged Option enabled If you want your WAD To be Isometric and look good i recommend you work with the standard Grid of 64 or 32, as for Doors most notably they have 32 Linedefs i think? while the Door textures are 64 to 128.

The other thing is that the Maps are very inspired by Doom 1 and 2, the Second map actually felt like Underhalls but re-imagined.

Overall its good but it has some flaws like the textures i mentioned, and if you play on UV you'll have a hard time.

first off, set your dropbox link to be "dl=1" to make it easier and hyperlink it to make it look better. just a pet peeve of mine. anyway I wish I'd be able to play the first level but the first door isn't working for me on GZdoom. Look into that possibly. 

6 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

first off, set your dropbox link to be "dl=1" to make it easier and hyperlink it to make it look better. just a pet peeve of mine. anyway I wish I'd be able to play the first level but the first door isn't working for me on GZdoom. Look into that possibly. 

You gotta shot a Switch that's inside the base you can see it through the window and then it opens the door

1 hour ago, Maisth said:

My experience based on Level 1 and 2

I think its pretty good however i know this is vanilla compatible and there's gonna be some things that will look weird on Modern source ports but still it looks good

Now my problem here is that there's a lot of Misaligned textures and various door's that don't have Lower unpegged Option enabled If you want your WAD To be Isometric and look good i recommend you work with the standard Grid of 64 or 32, as for Doors most notably they have 32 Linedefs i think? while the Door textures are 64 to 128.

The other thing is that the Maps are very inspired by Doom 1 and 2, the Second map actually felt like Underhalls but re-imagined.

Overall its good but it has some flaws like the textures i mentioned, and if you play on UV you'll have a hard time.

thanks, Maisth.
You right, there's many misaligned stuff and problems with doors textures. I was a bit confusing for me to understand at first.
I did a better work on the next levels, so I guess the first ones require a revisited improvement

14 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

thanks for the advice. I'll edit the link in OP
as Maisth said, you need to shot the button through the window
Some friends also got stuck in that part. I better change it for a normal door :P

4 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Getting into the first door is a bit of a puzzle, but it works :D

Pretty enjoyable stuff in here. Rough around the edges for sure, but it looks like the later maps are starting to sort out a lot of the texture issues that are plentiful in the early maps. Cute reinterpretations of the IWAD levels (Super Crusher was probably my favorite of those), but Super Mansion is one of the coolest maps, so I hope for more original maps. In Super Mansion, though, the monsters that repopulate the central area just kinda bunch up around whichever door the player is trying to reenter from, which isn't ideal.

It looks like this was designed for continuous play? I did a combination of continuous and pistol starting, and I was missing an SSG for most of it. I recommend putting in the essential weapons that were given out in previous levels.

Decided to give a few levels a spin. It being hosted on Dropbox was an important factor. 

5 hours ago, Maisth said:

I think its pretty good however i know this is vanilla compatible

Vanilla means it's designed for Doom2.exe, or more loosely (with some inaccuracy), ports like Chocolate Doom, or even more loosely (still more inaccuracy), that it's conceivable that it'd run in such ports. A pk3 won't even run outside of (G)ZDoom, so it's not in the last category either. I think he might mean 'uses only vanilla triggers', but I haven't checked the map to be sure of that. 

Map 01

- Very conventional opening base, as far as gameplay goes. In 2017, everyone has played a lot of 'conventional map01s' so don't feel like this is something that people need, really. If you have fun with it, sure, but if you want to amp up the gameplay a notch or two, don't feel pressured to make your map fit expectations there. Gameplay here is very low key, to the point where I was glad this ended very soon. 

- Texture alignment is noticeably blase, throughout. Very little attention paid to it. For exampleAnd another example. You see the way lots of your textures (including doors) cut off at some point. Looks somewhat sloppy, and it doesn't look like an intentional effort at simulating destruction either, if that's what you are going for, because the computer panels for example are perfect rectangular prisms. Light strips are cut off halfway, too. Many textures can be used without too much attention to horizontal alignment, but textures that have vertically oriented borders or are 'objects' (such as computer panels, or doors, or switches) generally should be aligned in a way that looks reasonable. 

- Big plus: the creative means of progression throughout the map. Early on you shoot a shoot switch to get into the building. Later on there are some interesting transformations. I remember having to find a switch in a monster closet, which isn't the norm. So it's clear that you are putting some thought into level design.

Map 02

- Visually this has a lot of the problems of the first map. Texture alignments here are very messy. Crates too. You have a brown wall texture that isn't really a 'panel' or 'coating' type texture adjacent to this gray flat, which makes the brown texture look like wall paper. The architectural feature at the top of this shot is cut off midway through at an arbitrary point, instead of at the logical seam in the texture itself. This door needs to be shifted horizontally a few units to the left, so the face is in the middle. Some problems persist in later areas, but I noticed a lot in the first area.  I'm not going to point out any further visual issues in subsequent maps, because I think if you study the logic behind alignments and texture use, you'll be able to figure all of this stuff out yourself. I will point out that the sides of doors traditionally are given the 'lower unpegged' flag, so that the tracks don't move as the door does. 

- The layout flows nicely though. It's essentially a modern low-density run-and-gun style map, and I exited in about three minutes without trying to rush, so I think the map led me from A -> B -> C well. Personally I prefer more bloodshed, and harder action (even in a map 02 slot), but the action is fun for what it is. 

Map 03

- Super Gantlet? :D Anyway, probably the most appealing level visually so far. Lots of misalignments still, but the texture scheme with PIPEWALL, the red-and-black light ceiling, and the light brown flat looks nice. 

- The map could use more health. There are plenty of spots where if hitscanners open fire immediately (link to further reading on hitscanner use), you will inevitably take a lot of damage and not be able to do anything about it. For example at the four-sergeant reveal in the red key area, the strategy of killing one shotgunner and diving into his cubby will keep you safe . . . if you aren't unlucky enough to have 2-3 shotgunners take a shot at you immediately, before it's physically possible to get out of harm's way. A similar thing happens when you hit the red key switch and the windows with lots of hitscanners behind them pop open. That sort of gameplay isn't really skilled-based at all. 

- This is a hub-style map, and you repopulate the central area a few times, which is a nice touch. I'd say that for a new mapper, it seems like you already have a good idea of what you are doing gameplay wise. 02 and 03 have been solid 'iwad' style maps, with well flowing layouts and clever staging of monsters. Fighting cacos and hell knights with the single shotgun and chaingun can be dull, but there are only a few of those, and most of the monsters are low-tiers that keep the bloodshed going.

Edited by rdwpa

Continuing. 

Map 04

- I liked the sequence to grab the BK, starting with the button in the computer panel, and the three-switch sequence at the exit. Nothing mindblowing, but a lot of maps will never have you do anything other than press one conventional switch to remove one conventional barrier when you need to transform the environment in some way, and your willingness to mix it up there is refreshing, and I think one of the better things the mapset has going for it so far. 

- Apart from that, though, a lot of the action takes place in basic corridors, and there are a number of doors, so this map felt a lot weaker gameplay-wise than 02 and 03. I think that there are some spots that would benefit from nearby cubby traps (e.g. the yellow key pickup), to get around that. Hearing lots of monsters warp in from afar has a minor element of suspense, but it quickly becomes apparent that they are all going to funnel into a nearby hallway. 

Map 05

- All of the maps have 'Super' in their name, but I'm not entirely sure what that means, as these play more like smaller variants of the Doom II they are loosely inspired by. The architecture is also comparably modest, probably even more so. 

- Another hallway-based layout like map 04, but what this map has that 04 didn't was a really smooth progression going for it. I think your feel for layout flow is your strong point. I sort of intuitively knew where to go next, despite a lack of obvious sign postings. Visually, this map is a bit bland owing to an abundance of 90-degree angles, but the brick texture you are using is one that doesn't require any horizontal alignment, so the visuals were a lot better in that respect. 

- Some gameplay concerns: whenever you have a bunch of monsters warp in at a single teleport destination, beware of a slow trickle. That tends to feel like clumsy design. You can use multiple spots, or give the monsters' teleport closets more redundant teleport lines so that they warp in more rapidly. I think I'm not really noticing the escalation in gameplay that I'd expect as the slots increase. You get the SSG, and lost souls make a stronger showing, including a nice appearance behind false walls, but overall this is still very leisurely. I'd be bored by now if I didn't have fun trying to exit maps like these somewhat quickly. The key trap with the RL was very anticlimactic -- nothing you'd really need to use the rocket launcher against, or have fun blowing up en masse. Personally, I'd make the windows that spring open somewhat larger, and I'd add a lot more fodder monsters for the sheer spectacle of it.  

Map 06

- I didn't really see any reason for this lift to be controlled by a switch on the other side of the room, instead of being usable directly, which would flow better. The one fight with cacos and souls isn't so harsh that you'd need to worry about the player wanting to escape. Also, having to use an arrow to point the player in the right direction feels like a minor failure, so I think you could rethink that part. Perhaps have a light turn on around that teleporter instead.  

- Whenever you use an unpunchable shoot switch that is mandatory for progression, make sure the player can't conceivably run out of ammo for it. I have 20 bullets and 13 shells at this point, and that's after deciding to skip all of the monsters in the room right before this. If I didn't, it would have been quite close. So I'd move a couple of bullet boxes into this side of the room.

- Not a fan of the spectres in the pit in the last room. They don't do anything but troll rocket launcher autoaim, which in this case isn't an enjoyable mechanic -- it's not a tough fight by any means and I just want to pump rockets into the big crowd, but I can't have fun because I'd have to get rid of the spectres first, and so I might as well kill a bunch of monsters in the center with the chaingun and forgo lots of the rocket pumping because some of them are hitscanners. 

- The imps on the lower level of the crusher room don't really do much, since the mastermind isn't down there to snipe at the player through the bars. The pinkies in the nukage pit of the crusher area are just time sinks for a max, and as mentioned, the pit spectres in the final area hurt that fight. 

Map 07

- It's a Dead Simple remix with 16 total monsters. Those aren't really in vogue these days, and most modern players would prefer something a bit complex -- a larger map that happens to use the Dead Simple tags in the context of more sophisticated action or in some clever way. This is just a simple pair of fights with eight mancs and then eight 'trons. The mancubus fight isn't so bad (could use more mancs), but the arachnotron fight feels broken, because you can just hide out behind the mancubus turrets (not rocket science as far as a strategy goes -- just trying to not get hit by a stream of plasma will end up leading you there), and none of the spiders can get around it to hit you, at all. I'd have the 666 tags also lower those turrets. You can stash a medkit on each of them if you feel you need to (I don't think you do). That would improve the map, but a larger overhaul would be even better. 

Edited by rdwpa