Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

Shin Doomguy Cosplay

Spoiler

Supercon Retro

Spoiler

Florida Supercon 2017

So before Doom 2016 had been announced, I had this idea for a Doomguy cosplay to be quite unlike any other out there. Most Doomguy cosplays I've seen are of the classic variety. After watching a couple of tutorials on how to make armor, I figured that I really didn't have the resources to make some of the more elaborate armor you see in most professional-level cosplays, plus I wasn't really planning on settling on armor made out of cardboard. Plus, I got the idea that aluminum plating would provide a style I'd like to coin as "junkyard samurai," being very angular and jutted. 

Hence, I would dub this work "Shin Doomguy."

Also, I had this idea to have the cosplay look like samurai armor, or armor you'd expect to find in the event that Doom would get an anime. This was mainly due to the fact that I had no idea how the Doom4Guy would look, and I ended up sticking with my original idea when I found that the Praetor suit would be too complicated to recreate with the resources I have.

However, I hadn't started work on the cosplay until the summer of last year, when I became friends with that Canadian cosplayer I keep mentioning, if you follow my posts. I had been looking for a suitable helmet, and as it turns out, not only is this helmet based off of an earlier build of Doom4Guy (before he became the Doomslayer), this is the only helmet of this particular design that will ever be produced.

The rest is history, but I felt that this particular version of Doomguy isn't based on any particular version of the game, so I decided to make it a mixture of classic Doom (primary armor color, Cacodemon blood), Doom 64 (black boots, secondary armor color), Doom 3 (design base of armor plating, pants), and Doom 2016 (helmet, various decals), with a dash of that samurai look I've sought (leg armor) and some original twists (a shotgun bandolier belt with real shotgun shells). 

I also felt it was appropriate to give this cosplay a story of its own:

Spoiler

This armor is a predecessor to the Praetor suit, a transition between the old and the new.
In fact, it is ceremonial armor awarded to the Doomslayer from Argent D'Nur, prior to his official coronation as the leader of the Night Sentinels. It is the Doomguy's classic armor slowly warping into the Praetor suit (Argent D'Nur's potential technology remains something of a mystery). However, various skirmishes with demons have caused the resulting blood on the armor to become part of the armor itself.

Since making my debut a couple of months ago, I've made some additions to the cosplay, namely more armor plating on the arms, forearms, and on the sides of the torso to cover up the straps and create more dimension for the chest plating, as well as additional armor on the shin guards and feet to make the boots look more tank-like. I'm also planning on creating additional props such as a torn-off arm, card keys and skull keys.

I have an appearance for another con due on July 27th to July 30th, and there, I'll post the renovated cosplay.

Critiques and suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by Man of Doom

All right, since Florida Supercon is this weekend, I'm gonna be going with this cosplay. 

Since I still don't have a gun prop as of now, any suggestions on a badass poses that I could do as Doomguy?

Guest Unregistered account

Well, you could do a Carlton freeze frame? It's in the game...

some ideas more to get the imagination going than to use as is:

- "You got a chainsaw, find some meat."

- "You got the BFG9000, oh yes."

- berserk punch

- firing away with the chaingun

- the "two-shotting a cyber with the BFG" dance

- a very relaxed lounging pose.  Badassness isn't necessarily tense.

- anything with a plush cacodemon

- the "picked up a new weapon" grin in general

A pose? How about YOU ARE HUGE THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS RIP AND TEAR

And that was Florida Supercon 2017. If I somehow get more pics of this cosplay floating around, I'll be sure to post them.

Aaaaah that shotgun :3333

I have a question though. Your torso plate/armor thingy, why does it look so... irregular? What do other cosplayers say about it?

Either way tons of points for that shotgun and ammo belt :P

Actually, a Fallout cosplayer let me borrow his double-barrel shotgun. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on a Doom 2016 SSG replica.

As to why the armor looks irregular, it's mainly because of performance and comfort reasons, where one side of the armor plating kept falling off and wouldn't stick and I ended up feeling much more comfortable once I removed some plating. Plus, the Praetor suit is asymmetrical, so I have that going for me.

8 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

As to why the armor looks irregular, it's mainly because of performance and comfort reasons, where one side of the armor plating kept falling off and wouldn't stick and I ended up feeling much more comfortable once I removed some plating. Plus, the Praetor suit is asymmetrical, so I have that going for me.

Have you considered mixing it with other materials, like sewing in sponge or basically anything soft that might buff it up, then adding visual and touchy touches?

Also, do you plan on adding anything (besides the arm and keys)? Suggestion: Some sort of a futuristic square looking backpack as well. I know you already have a belt and all. Still you might disregard me as it is my backpack fetish talking up :D

36 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Suggestion: Some sort of a futuristic square looking backpack as well. I know you already have a belt and all. Still you might disregard me as it is my backpack fetish talking up :D

Heh, believe it or not, there is an official Doom 2016 tactical laptop backpack, and I actually use it as a backpack for my classes. Maybe I could try that for future con appearances. ;)

Bump, but an update:

So starting tomorrow, I will start working on a "Hell on Earth" variant of my Doomguy cosplay. That's not to say I'm finished with my current version, in fact I still have work to do on that. But this way, I still get to knock out two birds with one stone. 

On 31/7/2017 at 6:20 AM, Man of Doom said:

And that was Florida Supercon 2017. If I somehow get more pics of this cosplay floating around, I'll be sure to post them.

Whoa! Amazing job there, one of my dreams, to some day, have this suit. :P