Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

Things you prefer in Doom 1/2 over Doom 2016

Doom 2016 is a really great game. But is there anything that you like in the originals better than the new Doom? 

For me, I prefer the faster gameplay of Doom 1 & 2 of Doom 2016. 

edit: I was actually going to do "Things you prefer in Doom 1/2 over Doom 3". But that's a stupid question. And the lists would be longer than here to Post Hell...

Edited by CzechMate29200

Oh, boy. I could be a while at this. I'll probably get ninja'd.

1. No story exposition, cutscenes, scripted events. The action is constant, and the lore is suggested by the environment.
  2. No blue glowy stuff shouting, "Use me to progress!"
  3. No glow-in-the-dark pickups. The pickups look like a natural part of the game world.
  4. No combat challenges, rune-trials, or other immersion-breaking minigames.
  5. No checkpoint save system.
  6. Easy creation of custom content. I might add abundance of custom content, but that might not be fair, since Doom 2016 is just a year old.
  7. A real BFG. Both of them can clear a room for you, but the old one makes you work for it.
  8. No armored pinkies, for the love of all things!
  9. No pointless "achievements" or "collectibles." Doomguy is supposed to be saving all the living things from extinction -- what is he doing collecting Doomguy dolls?!?
  10. No glory kills. I know, I know, everybody is crazy about them. But I'm not.
  11. Unlimited chainsaw fuel. The chainsaw also used to require strategic consideration -- now it's just instant-kill-plus-cinematic.
  12. The boss monsters aren't so, I don't know, adjective. Nomsayin? They feel like ultra-mega-arcadey segments in an already-sufficiently-arcadey game.
  13. Runs on a toaster. :-)

There, that's what came into my head. I'll stop on lucky number 13.

I think Doom 2016 is everything I wanted from a Doom remake actually. Only two things that rub me the wrong way besides the price and the required specs is

1. The lack of proper modding tools. More often than not, mods are what keep a game's community alive way past it's prime. Limiting the modding possibilities of Doom 2016 to snapmap is not only stupid, but kind of an asshole move.
  2. The boss battles are scripted, and while they are fun, I wish there was at least a non scripted version of the bosses that could be used in regular maps. I mean, there is the Cyberdemon in the Tower of Babel remake, but you can tell he's just a buggy afterthought thrown in there, given how he just walks towards you and continually shoots missiles, without using any of his new attacks.

The monster sprites. I miss older graphics, now everyone is concerned with how "nice" something looks. 

MIDI music by Bobby Prince because I'm a sucker for it, instead of the new dubstep metal soundtrack.

How the Revenants were actually scary, the new versions look great and all but it's not the same.

The fact that the older games have a clear number so I can differentiate between them (Doom 1, 2, 64, etc), instead of using the newer practice of soft rebooting a franchise and just calling it "X" without a number (like Wolfenstein '09 did).

Other than that DOOM 4 looks great, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia and older games. 

I now realized... where are my beloved Arachnotrons in Doom2016? :'(

I think that's pretty much the only things I'm missing in Doom2016 (it doesn't have all original Monsters).

Other than that, I was pretty happy with it.

12 minutes ago, rodster said:

huh, I never noticed that either....the Pain Elementals are not there either (im actually glad those little fuckturds are gone though)

I don't know why they called him the Summoner instead of Archvile. He's a summoner instead of a healer, but so was the Doom 3 archvile, and they still called it by it's original name.

Yeah, the Summoner was ok as an Archfile, I still missed that original burning-blast though, but not too much :D

And yeah the Pain Elementals, didn't miss 'em too much as well. :D

I don't really care about it being 80gigs and shit, but fuck Bethesda. I bought a physical copy of Doom '16 for PC through a friend overseas from Amazon (because it's not available here) just to know that I have to download the rest 76gigs of it. The worst collector item I bought. 

That they stopped trusting me not to give it away to my friends (Yes, I'm talking about you, Steam). To install it/play it I would need to connect to some server somewhere. I don't need to be "connected" to anything to run Doom/Doom II.

I gotta say that I hear people all the time saying "I like Steam. I don't mind that I have to connect to it sometimes, cause it does nice stuff for me." I get it. But, behind the scenes of all that nicety is the real purpose of Steam: To keep people from stealing the content. I can also appreciate dev houses desperately wanting to stop the rampant piracy. I sympathize. But, here's the problem: I don't steal their software, so I don't appreciate the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude, regardless of the difficulties in stopping piracy.

Today, I went to KMart and spent about $120 on stuff I needed. For the first time in 30 years, a guy in a KMart uniform, standing by the exit doors said to me: "Got your receipt?". I said "Yep, sure do" and kept pushing my cart. Then he said, "I'm going to have to see it." I said, "No thanks" and walked out with my stuff. He was not pleased, and continued to follow me outside: "Sir, Sir...". I didn't respond again.

Again, the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude. Just like the Steam thing, when people start accepting this kind of thing as normal, it sends a message that it's ok not to trust me - it's ok to force me to prove that I'm not a criminal. This means that, hey, maybe people will accept even more invasive stuff. How about being searched each time you leave a store? Being X-Rayed? TSA-like security, in department stores. I find the whole thing offensive, to the point that I am compelled to act petty to avoid it.

I love Doom 2016, it was one of my favorite games of the year. But I just prefer the simplicity of the original UD/D2, how much better they feel, how fun they are, and how much better and unrestricted the modding tools are.

4 hours ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

I don't know why they called him the Summoner instead of Archvile. He's a summoner instead of a healer, but so was the Doom 3 archvile, and they still called it by it's original name.

This is one that bugs or makes me question. Another thing is that 200 health and 200 armor can definitely make it a sphere and call it a Megasphere, but I guess most of the time, new players don't care.

7 hours ago, Neurosis said:

MIDI music by Bobby Prince because I'm a sucker for it, instead of the new dubstep metal soundtrack.

THANK YOU!

They're different games. But mainly the unlimited content that is available and actually can feel different from each other in the classics is great. Building for the classics allow for far more creativity in level design.

7 hours ago, rodster said:

I know right, and absolutely NO trace of glorious HD impse? I mean, c'mon. 

If DOOM '16 had the same moddability as the originals I would ditch them and focus on the new game instead. I've played the originals to death by this point anyways and would love to create new content for the DOOM '16 that isn't restricted to SnapMap.

I hate to say, but you can't create slaughter map in Doom 2016 reboot, but in classic game you can do this without any problems.