Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Uberskunk

"Maple," a hellish fight in Suburbia

Recommended Posts

It's a doom map. Based on suburbia. Nothing at all contentious about that.

 

Play it on a Z-Doom based source port, map 27. REQUIRES TNT RESOURCES.

 

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zusl5rwwfkd1p35/Maple.wad?dl=0

 

 

General Tips:

 

-Salvation is indoors! Visit the houses often, as most of what you'll need to survive are only indoors.

-Don't stay inside for long! It won't take long for a house's perimeter to be swarmed with monsters. Get in, get your supplies, and then get the hell out.

-Windows are solid! It would seem the residents of this little neighborhood are used to American life by now and have bullet proof panes. Don't bother trying to shoot monsters through them (but it's a good way to see what's happening outside).

-Think creatively about secrets! There isn't a lot of room for a simple hidden door in a place like this. Take a good look around to find some good bonus stuff.

 

 

YKkwm8x.png

dwofPfW.png

5cezUDt.png

Edited by Uberskunk

Share this post


Link to post

- Plays on the map 27 slot. 

- Almost every action is 0-tagged, so will probably need a ZDoom-based port. 

 

Colorful descriptions are always cool, but including essential info is even cooler. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

- Plays on the map 27 slot. 

- Almost every action is 0-tagged, so will probably need a ZDoom-based port. 

 

Colorful descriptions are always cool, but including essential info is even cooler. 

 

It's been added. I trust the lord will forgive me for the momentary lack of info.

Edited by Uberskunk

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Uberskunk said:

The map should be played "classic" style

 

11 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

- Almost every action is 0-tagged, so will probably need a ZDoom-based port. 

lol

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cynical said:

 

lol

I said classic, not "vanilla." Even if the 0-tag thing wasn't present, it'd surely crash a vanilla-doom based port. I more meant it shouldn't be played "brutal" or what have you.

Edited by Uberskunk

Share this post


Link to post

When you act the way you are acting, shitposters will sense blood in the water and swarm like a pack of sharks. Shitposters are attracted to shit posts, which you introduced into your own thread from your response to rd's warranted (and helpful) reply. My guess is Cynical saw that and followed your already-established lead. Doesn't help what you said about DW in the OP, even if that was a joke purely in the spirit of fun.

 

That said, best of luck to you; I love cute sector furniture :)

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Fonze said:

When you act the way you are acting, shitposters will sense blood in the water and swarm like a pack of sharks. Shitposters are attracted to shit posts, which you introduced into your own thread from your response to rd's warranted (and helpful) reply. My guess is Cynical saw that and followed your already-established lead. Doesn't help what you said about DW in the OP, even if that was a joke purely in the spirit of fun.

 

That said, best of luck to you; I love cute sector furniture :)

EDIT: Well I mostly respond to what I'm given. Don't mind being corrected. The rest didn't seem so necessary. If the opening post is that inflammatory, well, I removed most of it in the hopes of keeping the focus on the map itself. Didn't seem that bad, but, you know, internet. Forums. It's all an ordeal.

Edited by Uberskunk

Share this post


Link to post

You should fix up all the tags so more people can play the map, cause i thought it was pretty fun.

 

The only thing i didn't like was the burning barrels in the floor which blocked me in a bit of an annoying way. I liked the pressure of being pretty swarmed from the start with no real way of fighting back and having to go into houses for (very limited) resources, ammo was ultra tight here and the fact that the SSG was the best weapon available (at least from what i found) added to this kinda zombie apocalypse type feel of the map. At one point i was down to 4% after an incident with a vile, and having to enter houses became pretty scary for a bit after that, it was neat. I also liked the 'possessed' exit house.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

You should fix up all the tags so more people can play the map, cause i thought it was pretty fun.

 

The only thing i didn't like was the burning barrels in the floor which blocked me in a bit of an annoying way. I liked the pressure of being pretty swarmed from the start with no real way of fighting back and having to go into houses for (very limited) resources, ammo was ultra tight here and the fact that the SSG was the best weapon available (at least from what i found) added to this kinda zombie apocalypse type feel of the map. At one point i was down to 4% after an incident with a vile, and having to enter houses became pretty scary for a bit after that, it was neat. I also liked the 'possessed' exit house.

Thanks for checking it out. I was thinking about fixing the tags but there are so many doors it seems...unrelentingly tedious. BUT...I might. I mean I did think I might repost it again with some edits down the road.

 

I was unsure about the in-floor fire barrels. If the "actors indefinitely tall" tag is on then, yeah, they can get kind of annoying. They create a cool visual but it depends on what kind of settings the player has. I figured I'd leave them because they weren't level breaking but if I do a new version I might move them all to locations that the player is less likely to traverse.

 

I intentionally made the guns mostly conventional and kept ammo a bit scares. As you said, it has the "zombie apocalypse" feel and I didn't want the player to ever get too comfortable with his supplies. Nice to know that the feel was well-received. Glad you found the Super Shotgun, by the way. Wasn't sure if players would think to do that which gives it to you.

 

Thanks again for giving it a look, and thanks for the feedback.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty fun stuff. Not too easy, not too hard, finished with one rocket remaining, 400 bullets and 100 shells, so I think Scotty might want to cause some more infighting. :)

Found all secrets, too. Love the garage one.

 

Since it was dead obvious getting the keys would spawn monsters, I made a run to get all three as fast as possible, and the map pretty much changed name to Infight City.

 

Couldn't find the SSG, but I did find a blue armor in a drawer, which was kinda cool but also pretty unmarked.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

Pretty fun stuff. Not too easy, not too hard, finished with one rocket remaining, 400 bullets and 100 shells, so I think Scotty might want to cause some more infighting. :)

Found all secrets, too. Love the garage one.

 

Since it was dead obvious getting the keys would spawn monsters, I made a run to get all three as fast as possible, and the map pretty much changed name to Infight City.

 

Couldn't find the SSG, but I did find a blue armor in a drawer, which was kinda cool but also pretty unmarked.

Infighting is certainly an ideal strategy. While I had friends and family trying it, they noted that running around outside for a while to stir up trouble between demons helped a lot. Nice job on the secrets. I felt inspired when I came up with the one you mentioned.

 

Thanks for giving it a try, really appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed this map. The highlights were the strategic infighting, especially with the spider mastermind and the barons. The archvile was a challenge because of my weak arsenal. I only ever obtained the rifle and the chaingun. I don't know if there were more powerful weapons hiding about, but I never found them.

I probably only killed about 15% of the enemies in this map, the rest died from infighting.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, spiritmaze said:

I enjoyed this map. The highlights were the strategic infighting, especially with the spider mastermind and the barons. The archvile was a challenge because of my weak arsenal. I only ever obtained the rifle and the chaingun. I don't know if there were more powerful weapons hiding about, but I never found them.

I probably only killed about 15% of the enemies in this map, the rest died from infighting.

Thanks for giving it a play. Infighting is definitely a strong strategy to take. The shotguns and chainguns are the easiest to stumble upon. I made sure to play the level with only those to ensure that it could be realistically beaten with weaker guns.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Uberskunk said:

Thanks for giving it a play. Infighting is definitely a strong strategy to take. The shotguns and chainguns are the easiest to stumble upon. I made sure to play the level with only those to ensure that it could be realistically beaten with weaker guns.

Definitely beatable on UV with only chain gun and shot gun....and I'm only an average doomer. I died about 10-15 times and took me 2-3 hours to beat this map. Another important strategy, aside infighting, is familiarizing yourself with which houses are best for cover and items/health.. Getting the backpack early on is essential too. 

I forgot to mention I also really enjoyed the enemies spawning in after each key is collected. It really felt like a war zone.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, spiritmaze said:

Definitely beatable on UV with only chain gun and shot gun....and I'm only an average doomer. I died about 10-15 times and took me 2-3 hours to beat this map. Another important strategy, aside infighting, is familiarizing yourself with which houses are best for cover and items/health.. Getting the backpack early on is essential too. 

I forgot to mention I also really enjoyed the enemies spawning in after each key is collected. It really felt like a war zone.

Most of my maps are tougher than I expect them to be, given that I generally aim them at the more casual fan. Hardcore fans of...anything, really, are not where my interests lie. When I first watched friends and family try this one, I joked to them "God, why don't YOU remember the houses as well as I DO?" It was easy for me to know where the ideal ammo and items were having spent a long time building it.

 

I often like to have a lot of activity in my maps. An exception would be my "Prison" map which was decidedly low on monsters in favor of atmosphere. Either way, that "warzone" feel was a lot of the feel I was going for and often go for. I like for the player to feel like just one piece in a big, moving machine. The key-spawning thing seems obvious in hindsight but it wasn't my original idea. I realized after a while that skilled players would be able to clear out the map before ever collecting a single key and then have nothing to do for the rest of the map, so it was a way to ensure that there was always something to fight, throughout.

 

Thanks for the additional feedback, appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×