Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kb1

Do you miss the reputation indicator?

I prefer it visible myself. Here's my thoughts:

• The actual magnitude of the number, especially compared with others doesn't mean much. But that it increased does hold some meaning.
  • You could tell that a thought you conveyed resonated with another person, so you knew you were on the right track
  • You could look and see who liked your message, and therefore knew who was interested (you still can, but see below):
  • Seeing the number change prompted me to go look to see who liked the message, and to see if they replied.
  • Knowing you likes your message is a way to get to know people a bit better. Because there's no "Dislike" button, you are getting a rather true indication, without needing a reply.
  • You can't really "game" the system, unless you collaborate with a buddy. But why would anyone?

Now, I know that you can still get all this information without the numbers being visible. But, for me, without the number changing, I am too lazy to go investigate each thread I post in. It's important to me, when someone agrees with some idea I communicated, and that number was the very thing I used to prompt me to go look.

Did it put some major burden on the server, or the page size?

Was anyone actually trying to "farm" reputation? Was someone making obviously cool statements to gain rep?

"Doom Rulez, yeah!"

"People that play Doom rock!"

Personally, I miss them.  ( Can I get a "like", people? Heh heh :)

"Doom Rulez"

Heh. Memories.

Anyways, I don't miss it at all. It's just a number of how many likes a person received.

That number can motivate people to farm likes, meaning either smart posts or witty posts or stupid posts will be more frequent.

My notifications tell me when someone likes a post. That's all I need.

57 minutes ago, kb1 said:

Now, I know that you can still get all this information without the numbers being visible. But, for me, without the number changing, I am too lazy to go investigate each thread I post in. It's important to me, when someone agrees with some idea I communicated, and that number was the very thing I used to prompt me to go look.

You get notified when people like a post of yours, also the amount of total likes you received still can be seen. Without these green numbers below avatars, the forum looks slightly more cleaned up.

Frankly, none of the numbers that are on display here actually say anything in particular. Amount of likes doesn't matter, the date you registered also has its pros and cons in terms of how people are perceived by others, and post count can be as irrelevant as the question what you had for breakfast or not.

25 minutes ago, Voros said:

Heh. Memories.

Anyways, I don't miss it at all. It's just a number of how many likes a person received.

That number can motivate people to farm likes, meaning either smart posts or witty posts or stupid posts will be more frequent.

My notifications tell me when someone likes a post. That's all I need.

I haven't really tried to set up notifications. I generally find one way to do what I want, then stop looking. I realize that makes me a "dumb user". It's the kind of thing that annoys me about users of software I've written, so I have no excuse!

On the farming thing: I guess people could get away with it a couple of times, but not surely for long, right? Then again, if it makes people post interesting stuff, is that a bad thing? I don't really see the downside, but I admit that maybe I'm missing something.

If something is genuinely interesting, why wouldn't the poster share it? People post interesting stuff left and right.

The reputatation system is actually misleading. It's not reputatation. It's the total likes the person managed to gather up. Likes don't define one's reputatation. Reputatation is a personal thing recognised by those within the community.

Why is skillsaw so well known? What's with Linguica?
Sergeant_Mark_IV?
Zeromaster?
Jimmy?

We recognise these guys for their work. That defines true reputatation.

Sometimes it was kinda heartwarming to see someone had a high reputation, because it was like "yep, this person's pretty cool, I'm glad other people like them" (EG, essel, rdwpa). Other times it was like "who the fuck is clicking like on this twit's posts" (examples withheld to protect the innocent). On the whole I thought it was quite fun and harmless, tbh. Even if people were "farming" likes or whatever, who really cares?

Nope, reputation systems promote politics, it's all about image so I never paid much attention to it. You get a better idea of who a user is by reading their posts :)

3 minutes ago, BadLuckBurt said:

Nope, reputation systems promote politics, it's all about image so I never paid much attention to it. You get a better idea of who a user is by reading their posts :)

Somebody gets it.

Not particularly. The thing I wanted way back before the forum software change was the ability to just like something when I couldn't be arsed to type a response, but not the pointless number. I'm glad both that and postcount aren't directly on display, a good decision in my opinion. It also makes the pages generally nicer to look at as mentioned by NiH.

1 hour ago, Grain of Salt said:

(EG, essel, rdwpa)

Don't forget me 8)

Edited by Doomkid

18 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I'm glad both that and postcount aren't directly on display, a good decision in my opinion.

I still see the postcount under the forum group but maybe you were talking about something else.

I don't miss the counter directly, but I do dislike having to leave the page to see someone's rep. Would be nice if it was present on the little popup-box that appears when you hover a username, alongside their post count. I do agree that is it somewhat pointless but as a whole it still serves as a good motivator, if only for me. I guess just like in MMORPGs I get enjoyment from seeing an arbitrary number rise. :P

As soon as I signed up, they took the reputation indicator away, so ya know...you're welcome, doomworld. :P

3 minutes ago, BadLuckBurt said:

I still see the postcount under the forum group but maybe you were talking about something else.

Oh yeah I just mean on threads, not in general. What Dragonfly suggested with it being viewable in the profile or the little popup box thing would be okay, but the threads just look cleaner without it. If Ling does decide to bring it back, it would be cool if it was changed to say "likes" rather than "reputation" as well since the two really aren't interchangeable

4 hours ago, kb1 said:

It's important to me, when someone agrees with some idea I communicated

This is far too easy to read into.

I'mn glad it's gone.

From the last numbers I saw it became very clear, that it disproportionately favored people who post in 'opinion' threads (the more polarized, the more points were probable) rather than ones who post in threads about the actual game. This one here is a good example. Lots of opinions, lots of 'like's, but ultimately very little actual value to be found.

24 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Oh yeah I just mean on threads, not in general. What Dragonfly suggested with it being viewable in the profile or the little popup box thing would be okay, but the threads just look cleaner without it. If Ling does decide to bring it back, it would be cool if it was changed to say "likes" rather than "reputation" as well since the two really aren't interchangeable

Mystery solved :) It's only hidden in the Doomworld skin, I was using the Plain White one.

I agree, 'likes' does convey the meaning of that number much better than 'reputation'.

Calling it "likes" is weird. Why even count the number of likes a user has? Pointless.

7 minutes ago, Voros said:

Calling it "likes" is weird. Why even count the number of likes a user has? Pointless.

Some people need the illusion of being popular, thank social media for that :)

Whatever for me, but I understand why it was removed.

I think the "like" feature was a pretty good addiction, though. Now I can tell that I agree with someone without needing to post a response D:

I liked the reputation indicator because it made me feel less like a useless speck on a massive rock floating in the void of nothingness.

I like it because I know who I should be paying attention to in a sea of messages. Now its just Ling and Fonze that will stand out to me. Tough to ignore their avatars.

3 hours ago, Memfis said:

I miss it in Doom.

Yeah, I'm really glad id decided to create an intricate social networking game instead of just another Wolf3D. For me, being able to talk to the monsters, ignore what they say, and vote for my favorite ones based on implicit bias so that the popular ones get more popular and the less popular ones gradually get pushed out of the in-game society has always been the most important part of what makes Doom the game it is. Can you imagine if they'd gone with their first instincts and made it some kind of pure action game? What a weird alternate universe that would be!

Reputation numbers made me feel important, lol. Now, I'm returned to casual member status. For serious note, it doesn't change anything in life, I'm here for Doom and some people ;)

Find it completely stupid and a way to stomp on opposing opinions on all sites I've seen it used on, At least it didn't have the even more obnoxious downvote feature that has yet to enhance any meaningful discussion. 

a big plus for me is that nobody can see my very low score. ;P

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

jokes aside, though, i couldn't really understand how that was a "reputation".  it just looked more like a "whos the popular kid in school" thing. Not downing anybody that did have a huge reputation though.... 

like what Linguica said, a better reputation is how long you've been here.  and that really is a good reputation that nobody can "farm" for...

Edited by CzechMate29200

25 minutes ago, CzechMate29200 said:

a better reputation is how long you've been here

Yeah but being here forever means nothing. You could have joined on October 2000 and still be a colossal twat, for example.

*cough*

Is there anyway to view the total number of likes you received? Or is it completely gone?