Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

A question about the Legacy of Suffering textures

I really like the Doom 3 style textures in the mod Legacy of suffering. Am I allowed to use these textures in my own mods or do they belong only to the people who made LoS?

Read what they put in the readme/licence textfile.

* Copyright / Permissions *

Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of
their resources modified or included in this file.

Hmm that actually is vague

23 minutes ago, BobFromReboot said:

Read what they put in the readme/licence textfile.

Hmm that actually is vague

Do you think what the readme means is that the mod authors they themselves got permission to use the resources? Or does it mean you need to ask them for permission to use it?

Did the mod authors even create the textures in the first place or are they just ripped from Doom 3?

Did you know there's already a Doom 3 texture project going on? Borrow from those guys.

As for the license, it is most likely stating that the WAD author gained permission to use stuff that isn't his. So usage of the assets by others is unknown.

Weren't the authors of LoS Portuguese?  I recall the grammar and vernacular context issues present in that wad and could only expect that their readme file would give the reader just as hard of  time.

The way that their permissions section is worded, it looks like that might be the case.

Perhaps you can request the assistance of somebody who speaks English and Portuguese equally efficiently and they can shed some light on any possible wording issues present in the text file, if any.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/92309-doom-3-textures-for-doom/

1 hour ago, Tracer said:

somebody who speaks English and Portuguese

Hi.

Edit: To me, it sounds like they either used someone else's texture pack, or music, or whatever. Some content may be free for re-use, some may not.

If you want to delve further, there's a email in the readme file, loganmtm at gmail.com. Send him an email, and if worst comes to worst I can translate things back and forth.

Edit 2: Derp, reading more into it, it says "Licínio - Art and design ( liciniosouz@gmail.com )"

Yes, souz, not souza if you happen to know Portuguese surnames. The email is correct, according to his deviantart page, and he seems to be active as of December 2016.

Send this Licínio guy an email and add "Se não fala inglês bem, queremos saber se as texturas do mod Legacy of Suffering pra Doom são livres para uso se a gente dar o crédito correto para você, já que achamos que você fez elas. Pode responder em português, temos um tradutor." meaning "if your English isn't good, we want to know if the textures of the mod Legacy of Suffering for Doom are free for re-use if we credit you accordingly, since we think you made them. You can answer in Portuguese, we have a translator."

Edited by Albertoni

AFAIK LoganMTM made LoS resource-free after the Cacoward it got in 2009 in case anyone is still in doubt, he is not all that active even in the brazilian doom community (or what remained of BRDoom forums in Facebook) but in the few posts he does he answered a guy about the same question and he said it is resource free.

4 minutes ago, Zanieon said:

AFAIK LoganMTM made LoS resource-free after the Cacoward it got in 2009 in case anyone is still in doubt, he is not all that active even in the brazilian doom community (or what remained of BRDoom forums in Facebook) but in the few posts he does he answered a guy about the same question and he said it is resource free.

Oh right, it took me until now to click that a- The creator of Hunter's Moon is Brazilian and b- You made Hunter's Moon. Hue :B