Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
belphegore

How to remove an unused sector with Doom Builder

Question

I would like to edit a map that has four unused sectors and one of them is tagged as secret. I want to remove that secret sector so all secrets could be reach in Doom.

If I open the wad in Doom Builder 2 the program said under Error and Warnings that four sectors were unused and removed. But after saving the map this secret sector is still in it when I play / test the map. 

So how it is possible to remove this unused secret sector even Doom Builder does not display this sector?

6 answers to this question

Try remove manually and adjust linedefs or incorporate it in main map if this not large. 

This sounds more like there's either something wrong with the map (corrupted, perhaps), or there's something wrong with your version of doombuilder. Usually sectors outside of the playable area don't just get removed, even if they're empty. Also, a sector outside of the palyable area could be a clue that the map is in boom format, and the secret is possible to reach if there's a linedef that transfers the "secret property" to another sector in the playable area.

14 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

sectors outside of the playable area don't just get removed, even if they're empty.

The term "unused sector" doesn't mean "a sector outside of the playable area", it means "a sector with no linedefs around it", therefore having no location in the map and only existing in the map's internal table of all sectors. It gets created when the mapper uncarefully deletes linedefs - he ends up deleting all linedefs that once neighbored with a specific sector, but the sector remains existing in the map's internal data. Deleting sectors should always be done in sector mode by deleting the sector itself, not in vertex or linedef mode by deleting linedefs around it. Also, don't delete 2-sided linedefs between different sectors unless you join or merge these sectors first.

Edited by scifista42

15 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

having no location in the map and only existing in the map's internal table of all sectors.

So, what you're basically saying is that such a sector, if created on accident, could only be deleted by accessing the map's table of sectors, and there's no other way of doing that?

Doom Builder's "Map Analysis" mode, as well as "Find and Replace" mode, can still find such sectors, so that they get selected and then you can just press delete to get rid of them. It might be a good idea to try this manually, even though the OP mentioned that "the program said under Error and Warnings that four sectors were unused and removed", which was supposed to do the same thing automatically and therefore doing it manually shouldn't have been needed.

Edited by scifista42

Thanks for all answers!

I found a way to correct it. I load the map in Slade and saved it. That's it. The unnecessary secret is gone.

I tested the map before in Slave and the secret was not counting also later with GZDoom.

A pity that Doom Builder can't do that ;)

Doom Builders "Map Analysis" mode didn't find that.

It is not a Boom Map. It's an old Doom 1 map.

Edited by belphegore