Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

@nxGangGirl ut2k4 was fantastic. Even playing with bots was a blast. Is there still an online community for it?

I'm currently playing through Duke 3D using eduke32's polymer renderer and the fancy dynamic lights.

31 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

ut2k4 was fantastic. Even playing with bots was a blast. Is there still an online community for it?

Not that I'm aware of. To be honest I haven't kept up with the community of the older UT games. According to the servers, most people are playing Onslaught. There aren't a lot of servers, or players, on any other game mode.

oh man, i forget about pirate doom. played few years ago and didn't finish it. I definitely need to play this again soon.

Getting into the Misery 2.2 mod for Stalker. Man... I forgot how difficult it is. The beginning is definitely the most challenging. After a couple restarts my third attempt is gaining traction, with exception of failing most of my missions (but are ultimately rewarding).

I purchased a new set of armour, which is a good sign of progress.

Edited by Chezza

@CARRiON What's that last screen shot from? It looks familiar but I can't place it. It reminds me of Normality but I don't think that was an SNK game.

Just finished Dying Light and it's DLC... It's quite bleak.

I'm now going to play through Dragon Age Origins, because apparently that's the next logical step.

6 hours ago, Megalyth said:

@CARRiON What's that last screen shot from? It looks familiar but I can't place it. It reminds me of Normality but I don't think that was an SNK game.

Your memory serves you well, it's the one SNK game I'm not playing right now! :P

Last game I played and finished was Turok 2 Remastered but now I have mixed feelings about that game, I can't find any incentive to play it again. I also played UT2004 two days ago with some custom characters and maps, I played a Last Man Standing match with the instagib mutator with 20 lives and many custom characters from other franchises with around 25 or more players at one time, and I also used a gibs mod while increasing the gibs by 5x, it was fun as hell.

On 9/11/2017 at 4:51 PM, CARRiON said:

Bottom line is it's shit.

Oh boy, we could have a long talk about this for awhile. All things considered, if I had to make a list of favorite FPS games, then Shogo would easily be in my top 10 or whatever, maybe even higher. I don't really like lists like that, but strong opinions are cool and your post was hilarious. #TeamShogoMAD

34 minutes ago, reflex17 said:

Oh boy, we could have a long talk about this for awhile. All things considered, if I had to make a list of favorite FPS games, then Shogo would easily be in my top 10 or whatever, maybe even higher. I don't really like lists like that, but strong opinions are cool and your post was hilarious. #TeamShogoMAD

Do you find Shogo nostalgic? Or do you think it has actual worth? I'm just curious. To me Shogo is a solid example of a kusoge. Glad I could make you laugh and you didn't take offense though.

For me personally, I played Shogo way, WAY back at a much younger age. However I rarely look at a game through rose-tinted glasses. I try very hard to not let nostalgia taint my view of the games I play because I want to see them for what they're worth now. Shogo is just barely passable on the other difficulties. But on the MADNESS it is an absolute nightmare hell ride. After the first few hours it felt like I had opened Lemarchand's box and realized I had fucked up bad for attempting this. There was no turning back either because the game made it personal with me. I had to know if this lunacy was legit beatable. Of course, it was not.

3 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

I prefer '99 but I have '04 and am open to the idea.

99 is my favorite to, but, Idk, the game has really weird mouse setting, maybe some incompatibility, but Its almost unplayable with that strange mouse feeling.

29 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

how many people here play UT2004? perhaps we can all get together and play sometime.

I haven't played it online before, I have played it with friends at a lan party in 2007 though.

4 hours ago, CARRiON said:

I try very hard to not let nostalgia taint my view of the games I play because I want to see them for what they're worth now.

This is absolutely the key. I find it helps to look at a game both "what it is in itself" as well as "the environment it was made in", especially with older games that might feel clunky or outdated by today's standards.

Game design and associated talk can be colored with subjective things like nostalgia and personal taste, and while these are valuable, they also are the factors that can really complicate the discussion. You can't play a new game without at least _some_ comparison to other games you have played, especially when the games are in the same genre. Shogo has many poor qualities, but I would personally say the same for Quake or Half-Life for example, both largely accepted as "good" games. Apparent flaws might not be as many or obvious, though my "complaints" across all three games are very similar. Boss fights is the first thing I can think of to compare.

As a fan of Shogo and EXTREME difficulty settings in games it surprises me now to think I've never actually even played the game on "madness", and of course this would have huge effect on the gameplay experience, that goes without saying... I could go into each bad point in Shogo but your post has made that redundant lol. The worst offenders like the AI/confusing storyline stand out for sure. Stopping my kickass giant robot mission to rescue a cat is not my idea of great times, in that instance hehehe

I had to look up what kusoge means (Beat Takeshi made that amazing one for the Famicom) and I would agree, Shogo tries to be, but maybe doesn't carry that across very well... cat rescue level is a good example. I have a fondness for sewer levels, and that's the only reason I don't use the secret they put in and kill the cat lady to skip the level >_>. Shogo is one of the casualties of the "engine wars" of the 90's, when every big dev studio seemed to be also developing their own 3d engine to handle all the new and cool stuff happening. Mobile Armor Division feels like a pet project that didn't get enough time. Quake also didn't get enough time in a perfect world, but there are so many factors involved in something like that. I like the QTEST maps more than almost any levels in the actual game, and I suppose my preference in FPS is a little strange, since it's not necessarily my favorite genre.

So I can excuse something like the AI, even if it's this bad, because at the time 3d games were "new", and standout flaws like that were not uncommon in popular titles. Between PC's and consoles you can see over time the development of 3d gameplay, once they essentially became the mainstream standard. Highly rated games are hopefully free of these major errors. I've always been really into making maps/levels so when playing something for the first time especially, I can't help but look at the geometry and structure of everything. Shogo is too difficult even on lower settings yeah, and largely a result of the flaws in the enemies/AI. Placed around blind corners, the enemies are quick to attack with little to no uptime, high chance you're dead unless you have max health/armor. Rocket launcher enemies placed in frustrating camp spots and you can tell it's entirely on purpose lol. You make mention of how in the later mech stages the enemies have mini-nukes, and yeah I would agree that part is pretty ridiculous. The enemies are hard to spot and the explosion they fire happens without warning. From what I remember it's at the end of the level too, so you might not have saved in awhile, that's a real pain. The sound of an enemy scoring a critical hit, followed by the menu music, is seared into my brain for all time. The levels have rough spots but the gimmick of giant robot vs. interiors is a thing that makes me wish the game was twice as long regardless.

If personal taste is any worth for deciding what "good game design" is, I'll give a few more recent examples - I'm a huge fan of fallout 1 and 2 but I've never fully completed any of the new FPS ones. I like 3d dungeon crawlers more than most things but not a fan of Skyrim, for a number of reasons. Doom is one of my favorite games but I probably won't get Doom 4, even though Snapmap is integrated and ready to go. Again it's a long story, and there are tons of other "giant mech" type games besides the one in question, of course. I try to keep up on the news but it seems we're far into another golden age of indie development, like when 3 dudes could make a game in their spare time and change up the whole scene. There's so much good stuff coming out all the time and all these awesome games over the years, but Shogo will always be a classic to me for what it actually manages to do correctly. It's clear from the main menu that user maps were intended for a wide LithTech user community, and an expansion was underway but cancelled due to the game's performance in the market.

I honestly can't remember any weird "path blocking" type glitches you mentioned, like barriers popping up and improper water heights, the only real trouble I saw getting through the game was the wonky difficulty of the combat at times. You could get on top of the buildings in some spots and walk up to the edge of the skybox which broke immersion in a way, but that's the worst case I can think of for that sort of thing. I keep games I like partly for level reference, and it's literally sitting on my desktop as I type this lolz. Lots of games are better in many ways but it's just high up on my list for the blend of things it does well in my book. Didn't mean for a wall of text but the original post was obviously well constructed. Nice screenshots. Thanks for giving me a chance to defend a bad game and good luck on the SNK fighting games ehehehehe

Edited by reflex17

Finally started playing Terraria, after owning it for like 2 years.

@nxGangGirl Playing online? I happen to play on the "Fair-Gamers" Torlan-only server quite regularly.

Torlan, Torlan, Torlan was the reason I got bored of UT2004. Nobody ever played anything else. :/

Finished Carma 1 on hard, was very fun. Wasted the Suppressor on my third attempt and used it to finish the last three races, to pure cathartic effect. Nothing says 'I won' like a six-wheeled indestructible APC intended for the police. I need to get back to Max Payne 2.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:48 PM, YukiRaven said:

video

The game reminds me to at least three other old school ones: Gods, because of the character and how she moves; Titus the Fox, some of the tiles (background, walls, floor, decoration) are clearly rip-offs from the game, in fact the second level looks almost exactly to TTF's level 05, yeah the palettes used are the same; and Inner Worlds, also because of the character and a few enemies. I would also add The wiki says it has been compared to the Castelvania series, but I've never played those.