Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

11 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

The game reminds me to at least three other old school ones: Gods, because of the character and how she moves; Titus the Fox, some of the tiles (background, walls, floor, decoration) are clearly rip-offs from the game, in fact the second level looks almost exactly to TTF's level 05, yeah the palettes used are the same; and Inner Worlds, also because of the character and a few enemies. I would also add The wiki says it has been compared to the Castelvania series, but I've never played those.

Yeah, it does kinda remind me of Gods... never played Titus the Fox or Inner Worlds, though.  TTF did come out two years earlier, so if some bits are ripped off from it, I wouldn't be too horribly surprised.  However, if you ever play one of the original Castlevania games, you'll instantly see why that's the game it's usually compared with.  It's essentially a sexy PC-98 clone of it.

skyroads.jpg.8940b8beecfe202df6f2c10c1f64cd4a.jpg

See if anyone knows... I really enjoy this game, and the high difficulty is satisfying. There are similar newer games, but none of them has the same feeling like this.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth, because it's replaybable and every run is not the same as old one. 

Yeah, I've been playing A Hat In Time too. Really liking that each world mixes things up a bit, and go beyond being a simple theme. Battle of the Birds stands out especially. Looking forward to the two additional worlds that'll be added in later on.

I managed to get my hands on an snes classic, so for the past week i've been playing earthbound and enjoying it so far

played the first episode of Dusk. it feels surprisingly good to control and play, and the game looks much better in person than it does from seeing footage of it. i think it could go places if it had some modding support, perhaps, but it's a pretty solid game so far.

after that, i managed to get Hexen 2 running on my computer... fairly well, actually! all you have to do is replace the Steam files with the open-source port files from Hammer of Thyrion, and it runs pretty damn well, much better than the base Steam files do. the physics are incredibly janky though, i'm not sure if that's a thing that always were there or not, and non-transparent liquids like lava have a very bizarre HOM effect going on. but other than that, it works. no gamebreaking bugs or crashes. and the game itself is... interesting, probably not as good as the first Hexen.

Despite its flaws, after experiencing the living world that was Hexen, the sequel was so bland and blocky. I'm not sure I even finished the first hub. I really wanted to like it.

6 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

played the first episode of Dusk. it feels surprisingly good to control and play, and the game looks much better in person than it does from seeing footage of it. i think it could go places if it had some modding support, perhaps, but it's a pretty solid game so far.

after that, i managed to get Hexen 2 running on my computer... fairly well, actually! all you have to do is replace the Steam files with the open-source port files from Hammer of Thyrion, and it runs pretty damn well, much better than the base Steam files do. the physics are incredibly janky though, i'm not sure if that's a thing that always were there or not, and non-transparent liquids like lava have a very bizarre HOM effect going on. but other than that, it works. no gamebreaking bugs or crashes. and the game itself is... interesting, probably not as good as the first Hexen.

Oshry confirmed it will get full modding support.

The physics are indeed that janky, it doesn't feel as nice to play as Quake, which is the same engine that powers Hexen II so that's unfortunate, lending combat to feeling not as satisfying as it did in the prior game. I also see the HOM effect on lava, it's port specific, and Hammer of Thyrion while stable and functional breaks Quake's fullbrights which had never been addressed. There are unofficial patches for H2 and its expansion that fixed a lot of bugs including visual glitches (like the Necromancer's Magic Missile) located here. Unsure if they function with HoT though.

6 hours ago, Megalyth said:

Despite its flaws, after experiencing the living world that was Hexen, the sequel was so bland and blocky. I'm not sure I even finished the first hub. I really wanted to like it.

It's an incredibly OK game at the end of the day, being a Heretic/Hexen junkie I still like it for what it is but do agree it could've been a lot better.

I only got a bit bored of it once I reached one of the later Aztec/Mayan themed maps, but it picked up a bit when I got to the Roman/Greek themed maps. I think it's still a great game regardless of its flaws.

There's that Game of Tomes mod someone brought up a while back, that supposedly improves combat among other things, so I need to check that out when I do.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:08 PM, Anidrex_1009 said:

System Shock 2.

I just have to quote this. The sound design in SS2 blows me away. Such a well-made game in terms of like, survival-horror type thing.

RE: HEXEN II -

I really wanted to like it as well, and thinking back the levels are pretty rough and feel overly simplistic for what the quake engine could do at the time. Raven usually has really good levels, and it seems like Heretic 2 might have better design/atmosphere in terms of the rest of the series. I never got into Heretic 2 because of the combat system but it looks really cool though.

The Egyptian theme levels are my favorite in Hexen II cuz I'm a sucker for that sort of thing, but they all look nice enough, and it's a game that has user content that go beyond what was seen in the base game. That's almost always the case but this is a good example. Some of the puzzles in Hexen are damn hard but I remember the sequel being even tougher to figure out, when it comes to that sort of thing. Maybe that's just me hehehe.

Hexen II shows its age with the outdoor areas, notice how everything is unnaturally boxed off? That wouldn't of been a problem a year later with GoldSrc.

29 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

Hexen II shows its age with the outdoor areas.

Agreed. Some of the coolest areas in Quake are the outdoor areas if you ask me, but it seems like there were more of them in Quake if I remember... 'outdoor area' does just come down to if there's a ceiling or not, a sky is largely atmospheric unless you can get up there. Still the sky in E2 of Hexen 2 balances so well against the other textures/art, I always feel like it should have been used more.

Tomb levels are like that for a reason, mostly undergound, but one of the coolest parts of a tomb/cave map is when you can get a glimpse of the sky, if it happens. There's arguments for not seeing the outside at all, and there's lots of levels like that because it's effective at making the player feel enclosed/build tension. It can depend on if the setting or if it's part of a chain of levels etc.

Hexen 2, I always think of that wall by the catapult. Launching yourself over seemed silly to me the first time I played it. It's a neat physics thing but so early on into the game and it reminded me of stuff like Donkey Kong on the N64 or whatever. It's not a huge puzzle and there's nothing else like it really in the rest, but it just seemed to me to go against the whole dark vibe established in the first game. The archer enemies are pretty badass though.

Been playing THUG 2 Remix on the PSP, a port of THUG 2 on the ps2. great game but the PSP buttons kinda suck dick. Also been playing Fallout 2. Great fucking game. So happy i finally can play the OG Fallout games. Was super disappointed with Fallout 4 so that cured it.

Been playing THUG 2 Remix on the PSP, a port of THUG 2 on the ps2. great game but the PSP buttons kinda suck dick. Also been playing Fallout 2. Great fucking game. So happy i finally can play the OG Fallout games. Was super disappointed with Fallout 4 so that cured it.

50 minutes ago, Percival232 said:

Was super disappointed with Fallout 4

yeah too bad Bethesda won't trust Obsidian even tho New Vegas was the best of the newer games

18 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Binding of Isaac Rebirth, because it's replaybable and every run is not the same as old one. 

A new booster pack is released today.

2 hours ago, Neurosis said:

yeah too bad Bethesda won't trust Obsidian even tho New Vegas was the best of the newer games

Those invisible walls though, those are the worst things ever. Common thing but Fallout 3&4 don't seem as bad to me in that regard. Still rough. 

New Vegas has by far the coolest storyline though, I would agree for sure. 

About halfway through NWN1, for the first time. Finished the main campaign, reached the last part of the first expansion, remains another expansion and a few short "DLC-style" campaigns.

1 hour ago, reflex17 said:

Those invisible walls though

There's a mod that gets rid of invisi-walls in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas over at nexusmods

32 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

There's a mod that gets rid of invisi-walls in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas over at nexusmods

Community patches and updates are some of the best things ever, like new translations of old console games and stuff like that. The idea that an invisible wall removing mod has to even exist in the first place is beyond annoying to me. Fallout 3&NV I played mostly on console, but given the chance, PC would've been my first choice for the reason of modability. The graphical updates and that sort of thing for New Vegas are really cool. I haven't played Brotherhood of Steel or Tactics but all the other games are worth multiple playthroughs in my opinion, invisible walls or not. I really have a short list of unforgivable things in games but that's one of them, right near the top of the list.  

Just cleaned the dust from my laptop, so I can play without overheating. Played Doom64 every morning 2 levels. Maybe I play Dead Space or Red Faction next.

Super Win the Game - fun short Metroidvania that aesthetically draws from Metroid and Link's Adventure. It's mostly about nightmarish platforming, though, much like the original (You Have to Win the Game).

You Have to Win the Game - The game before the above. It draws a lot more from VVVVVV in its approach. I got to the end last time I played it, probably a year or more ago, and Lost the game at a riddle I wasn't prepared for and gave it a break. I'm replaying it.

The Waste Land - another Metroidvania but it's got way more of a Simon's Quest feel that's way less user-friendly but I like the concept and the nightmarish world.

Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner - I've had this for a while but not taken the time to play it. As a Homestar Runner fan, it's a must.

Cuphead - fantastic. I love the art and the music I love pressing through and learning the boss fights.

I've been playing Heretic Treasure Chest with this enemy replacer I assembled:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/32vugucag11f49t/Yuan-Ti_Replacer.wad

Adds an arch-vile like enemy that can resurrect most heretic enemies, replaces weredragons with a fast yuan-ti, and replaces ghost golems with the hexen 2 archer. Its a lot of fun and more of a subtle enemy replacer, as the main enemy types are left entouched

4 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

Just cleaned the dust from my laptop, so I can play without overheating. Played Doom64 every morning 2 levels. Maybe I play Dead Space or Red Faction next.

If you want some more Doom64, try these 2 mapsets:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Doom64EX/index.php?s=43c7500e14821fc8d04b0f65c198f50e&showtopic=66

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Doom64EX/index.php?s=43c7500e14821fc8d04b0f65c198f50e&showtopic=143

Currently playing Rexaura, a Portal 2 mod. Then after I will play either The Talos Principle or Dragons Dogma: Dark arisen.

As far as the cat rescue in SHOGO thing, that's actually a winking reference to a common filler tactic in anime during the 90s where an episode would have the protagonists doing something completely inane so they could drag the plot out a little longer. It's also worth pointing out that you can just kill the cat lady and her husband to continue, but you don't get the superhealth reward.

Anyway I haven't played anything of substance for weeks due to a microstutter I've been unable to squash, though I've played simple and short games that I can put up with microstutter from or where it's irrelevant.

I have a new PC inbound, so here's hoping I can play something good soon. I did, however, play through the original Barista, just to slake my thirst for Marathon.

I tried to play Mankind Divided again but it still ran poorly with extreme stuttering no matter how low I set the graphics options, looks like I will have to get more ram since the requirements was 16gb and I only have 8gb.

Edited by Avoozl