Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Just finished Stephen's Sausage Roll. It boggles my mind how its extremely simple mechanics get explored to such ridiculous depth. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys puzzle games. I'll probably get Stephen Lavelle's other published game - English Country Tune.

Currently playing through Braid and The Witness, which are also remarkably fun games. Honestly, Stephen Lavelle and Jonathan Blow have become my favorite puzzle game developers alongside Zach Barth.

Also playing through DmC: Devil May Cry. It noticeably easier compared to the previous installments in the Devil May Cry franchise, but the fluid combat, fun soundtrack, and great level design make me enjoy it a lot. Also the creativity for some of the mission locations is sensational! I really hope Devil May Cry 5 takes a few hints from here...

@SGS Man It's honestly not a bad reboot, I like the Dante design, enemy design and the whole Limbo concept and general theming and setting. Great soundtrack too, and a real spectacle in terms of the battles and weapons. But I think the bosses are terrible, especially Mundus's Spawn, and the style rank system hands out S's like candy. Rank system in general is also too forgiving compared to the series' Japanese counterparts. Sadly, amidst all the positives the game has it managed to sell worse than DMC 4, so the likelihood of a sequel is probably unlikely. Total cliffhanger ending too.

E: Well, out of all of them I'd say Bob Barbas is the most interesting boss.

I have been meaning to get into the Devil May Cry series but I just haven't been able to get myself to yet.

I got a 3ds not long ago, so I've been playing Starfox 64 3D, some dungeon crawler that is reminiscent of Eye of The Beholder, and some Mega Man-esque games.  Next month I might get a Kirby game for it that I remember playing and really liking... (Triple Deluxe I think?).

7 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I have been meaning to get into the Devil May Cry series but I just haven't been able to get myself to yet.

I've played through the third entry a couple of times. It's easily one of my favourite PS2 games, although Dante is pretty irritating throughout the adventure. 

Avoid the anime series. It's very lackluster. 

Edited by Ajora

I'm playing some Mortal Kombat 9 today, it's been a while since I last broke someone's bones.

Oh boy, DMC!

I have only played the third one on PC on normal (I have the old Special edition thingie, with the clown boss and the keyboard controls are a bit clunky, but you get used to that).

Pretty fun game, good weapons (it even has an ELECTRIC GUITAR DAMN IT!!!) , awesome demon forms, effective abilities and brings a sense of self accomplishment to the player.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

Vergil kicked my ass a lot in the final boss. I even dropped my sword ability and swapped it for the dodging one, which was level 1, but with it I managed to kill him. That final sword blow I gave him was one of the most satisfying things I've done in a game.

But back to the topic, I finally got to play Unreal and the name says it all. The graphics and level design are beautiful even by today's standards, the weapons are fun and dear God, are those enemies or armed acrobats???

It took some time getting used to them and this surely adds to the charm of the game.

10 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

But back to the topic, I finally got to play Unreal and the name says it all. The graphics and level design are beautiful even by today's standards, the weapons are fun and dear God, are those enemies or armed acrobats???

It took some time getting used to them and this surely adds to the charm of the game.

Make sure to play the expansion when you finish it :)

On 1/11/2018 at 8:49 PM, Avoozl said:

Still, the monster models are quite wobbly.

You're probably playing at a super high resolution?  Like the jumping lines thing in Doom, model wobble seems like something where the lack of precision didn't matter at the resolutions that were feasible at the time.

I've just finished Deus Ex and Dragon Age: Origins and now I'm playing Witcher 3.

I'm actually blown away by the quality of these 3 games (especially Deus Ex, I was actually upset when I finished that as I wanted it to keep going).

Did a couple of Trials today in Street Fighters V, ahead of time before Arcade Edition changes how Fight money is earned. Also played a bit of Dragonball FighterZ open beta.

9 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Make sure to play the expansion when you finish it :)

You mean Return to Na Pali? If so, I am surely going to play that too!  :D

Keep in mind that it's refurbished unused content, so there'll be some weird same-yness at times and a general sense of unfinished or a lack of polish. It's not that bad, but it does come off as fan fiction-y. Then again it's developed by a different team, but if you wanted a sense of closure after the original game it does just that. The new music is lovely!

Finally finished Soldier of Fortune 1 for the first time and I have to say that the ending was a bit disappointing, even Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix had a better ending. I guess I could fire up SoF2DH for a new playthrough but I haven't finished the last one yet since I am only up to the last set of levels.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:01 AM, DMPhobos said:

Wolfenstein II, can't say im having a blast... but im still gonna try to finish the game

I'm trying to get through it right now as well, and I agree. The New Order and The Old Blood I couldn't stop playing. I've had TNC for over a month now and I still haven't finished it; right now I just want to slog through it. I just can't get into it. It's just... boring. It's 10 minutes of cut scenes followed by 10 minutes of gameplay, and honestly the gameplay isn't exciting. Almost every level is just a linear corridor, with the greatest diversion being "Do I want to go on the upper catwalk, or the lower floor"? The AI is dumb as shit, today in the first New Orleans level I literally stood to the side of a door and just knifed guys as they ran into the room for about 10 minutes. There's nothing interesting about the combat, it's boring and repetitive, and the only reward is a 10 minute cutscene of BJ being a blubbering baby about how mean his daddy was. I don't know where along the line they lost the magic since TNO and TOB, but they lost it.

Anyway, aside from TNC I'm stilling working on Breath of the Wild. Despite it's flaws I'm loving the game, when I actually have a few hours to sit down and play it.

Also just finished A Hat in Time. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves 3D platformers, cute as hell, it oozes character, and all in all I had a really good time with it. My only complaint is that it's on the short side, even with achievements and collectables, and it feels like it gets really rushed towards the end. But if you can get it on sale, go for it. Haven't had that much fun in a platformer in a long time.

Finished with Braid. It's a really fun puzzle platformer that has held up quite well (ignoring the occasional Jonathan Blow bullshit moments).

@cyan0s1s I agree. The sad thing is that Devil May Cry 4 is an incomplete game whose only redeeming quality is the combat system (although it has the best combat system I've ever seen). It outsold DmC: Devil May Cry, which had ideas I would have loved to have seen in a sequel. A spin-off DmC series with difficulty appropriately adjusted running parallel to the DMC series would be great, although that seems extremely unlikely as of now...

@Jello I second A Hat in Time. It's an excellent homage to early 3D platformers, and although I would've preferred some original concepts, its charm, levels, and moddability make it an excellent experience. In all honesty, I enjoyed way more than Mario Odyssey. I would love to see A Hat in Time 2.

Also started Hollow Knight. Hoo boy...

Yeah I heard DMC 4 is unfinished, not sure what happened, you spent half the game as Nero and the other half as Dante, re-playing Nero's path but in reverse or something? The difficulty is increased on Dante's run, but I think you also fight the same bosses too. The setting is very similar to DMC 1, however, which I enjoy.

Furi is the latest game to really grab my attention. After hearing one song from the soundtrack I just had to buy the whole game, DLC and OST bundle on Steam. The soundtrack is incredible and really scratches my itch for 80's inspired dark synth music. I'm not particularly good at the game, you could say it's a difficult and twitchy bullet hell game, much like Cuphead which I played last year and was somehow able to finish. Despite not having the reflexes to be amazing at the game, it still feels like a thrilling and fair challenge due to the awesome control scheme and the game's whole atmosphere. What an experience. In fact I just remembered I'm not listening to the OST right at this very moment, so I'm a go fix that.

I've been playing through a bunch of Half-Life 2 mods, including Prospekt, which is not worth the $10 asking fee.

On 17/1/2018 at 3:57 AM, Jello said:

I'm trying to get through it right now as well, and I agree. The New Order and The Old Blood I couldn't stop playing. I've had TNC for over a month now and I still haven't finished it; right now I just want to slog through it. I just can't get into it. It's just... boring. It's 10 minutes of cut scenes followed by 10 minutes of gameplay, and honestly the gameplay isn't exciting. Almost every level is just a linear corridor, with the greatest diversion being "Do I want to go on the upper catwalk, or the lower floor"? The AI is dumb as shit, today in the first New Orleans level I literally stood to the side of a door and just knifed guys as they ran into the room for about 10 minutes. There's nothing interesting about the combat, it's boring and repetitive, and the only reward is a 10 minute cutscene of BJ being a blubbering baby about how mean his daddy was. I don't know where along the line they lost the magic since TNO and TOB, but they lost it.

So far it's been an infuriating experience, the gunplay it's frustrating since combat it's short and more linear and the gunfight's are limited since every enemy it's a hitscan, the whole gunblazing approach the game boasts it's just impossible, not to mention that the whole "you're stuck at 50 health for quite a bunch of the game" it's stupid and quite frustrating. Also the story, B.J. saying thing such as "caroline will you lend me your wings?" sounds like something straight of the star wars prequels and it's rather bad, and i don't know if this is because im not american, but the whole story doesn't resonate with me (i find grace to be a rather annoying) and it's not as compelling as the TNO and TOB... it's disappointing so far.... i really want to like this game since i loved TOB and liked TNO and every reviewer was just singing praises for TNC, but as it is i'd rather play the whole wolfstone easter egg rather than the main campaing.... still im gonna try to finish it eventually

Also on topic, since i haven't got the time to play wolfenstein lately, i've been playing bomber crew in short sessions, it's quite entertaining and fun

Great game. I've always been a fan of the Ghosts n Goblins series but never had this game until recently. I's awesome :D

Welp, bought myself all the Elder Scrolls games over Christmas. Started into Arena, which seemed kinda balky and awkward at first, but is actually kinda fun now that I'm figuring it out.

2 hours ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

Great game. I've always been a fan of the Ghosts n Goblins series but never had this game until recently. I's awesome :D

That game right there, along with Contra: Shattered Soldier and Rygar were the reasons I bought a PS2 from a pawn shop back in 2002. I bought Army of Zin a year ago and I still need to finish it. It's good, but it's not Ghosts to Glory good; I really don't find the same satisfaction in fighting a bunch of clockwork enemies.

Funny that this was brought up, just the other day I was thinking that Capcom really needs to make a new Gargoyle's Quest game.

*Edit to remove quoted video.

3 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Welp, bought myself all the Elder Scrolls games over Christmas. Started into Arena, which seemed kinda balky and awkward at first, but is actually kinda fun now that I'm figuring it out.

I hope you didn't buy Arena and Daggerfall. Those are freeware.

It's disheartening to hear The New Colossus being so meh seeing as the previous games were mostly pretty good. I wonder what happened during development.

Picked up a used copy of Spider-Man 2 for the PS2. Combat is just okay, but it's a lot of fun just to swing around New York while looking for random things to do and collect. It's a really good game, but I don't think it's on the same level that Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is. 

I also picked up all of the Legacy of Kain games. I played through Soul Reaver 1 a long time ago and absolutely loved it, so it'll be neat to finally see the entirety of the story play out from the beginning.