Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

So I ran into some videos of my childhood NES games and decided to download an emulator to play some of them. Mesen seems to do an amazing job at emulating, the games look really nice and can't spot visible differences from how they looked on the actual consoles, and if they do look different, they look even better. And run butter smooth too.

I played a little bit of Contra Force but damn if I don't suck with the controls, couldn't make it past the first level as of right now. Very easy to get that controller feeling from years ago, to say so, on the keyboard if done properly, but with all these jumps, shooting, shooting while jumping, yeah, stuff's pretty hard a decade later lol.

Can't wait to play some more, and other games as well, when I'll eventually discover their long forgotten names. I want to play a Japanese fighting game and an adventure/action one really bad, but damn if I can find their names...

gfs_45492_2_8.jpg

Edited by Agent6

Replaying Thief Gold and Thief 2 after a really long time. I also get Thief: Dark Shadows recently. Hopefully, that is as good as the first two...

Managed to finish Contra Force today, a much better run than last night, and getting used to the control setup more and more.

Gonna check out the Batman NES game now.

Actually running in fullscreen, but appears very small in the image for some reason. Great stuff nonetheless.

saddas.png

Edited by Agent6

I'm surprised to have gotten the best ending in Papers, Please on my first go. Even after finishing it, I'm still hooked on playing endless mode. 

@Agent6 That game has an amazing soundtrack. The Adventures of Batman & Robin for the SNES, The Adventures of Batman & Robin for the Genesis, and Batman Returns for the SNES are all also really good.

On 3/1/2018 at 4:47 PM, Avoozl said:

I finally got my hands on Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, it was actually fitting that the first SS game I played before it was SS3BFE since that was a prequel.

Thanks for bringing this up. I bought BFE when it first came out, and I was pretty excited about it. Then I realized the first half of the game at least was supposed to be a modern shooter before they ditched that and made it a Serious Sam game. And it shows. Reloading, modern weapons? Check. Cramped, linear levels? Check. Grey, grey, and more grey? Check. Eventually I got sick of it and stopped.

However seeing your post, I'm going back through it, and it's a lot more fun this time around. Maybe it's because I've gotten over the "It's not Sam for so long" feeling I got the first time, but it's not a bad game. Plus I went in and modified some of the weapon damage, so the starting weapons aren't a complete waste of time. So I doubled the pistol damage and changed it from infinite ammo to using assault rifle ammo, so I can't just sit back and spam everything with it indefinitely. Changed the single barrel so it's firing slugs. Just took the 7x10 damage it originally did and turned it to 1x70, added a spread at distance so it's not too OP. Still takes the same amount of shells to kill something at point blank. Left the M29 alone, in fact I could probably turn its damage down a little bit. Changed the DB to fire 18 pellets instead of 14, to put it more in line with a real shotgun firing 00 Buckshot, and upped its damage slightly, but increased spread slightly. Originally it did the exact same damage per pellet as the single barrel, so I wanted to give myself a reason to use the double at close range. Everything else I've left alone so far. 

So yeah, technically I'm 'cheating' by modifying damage. But it's fun dammit; and I'm in modded mode so I'm not cheating for achievements. But yeah, it's quite a bit funner this time around.

I think you'll enjoy the originals though, there's really no down time in them. I think The Second Encounter was my favorite though, because it had three distinct environments. South America, Mesopotamia, and Medieval Poland; the variety helped keep it from getting stale. Honestly by the end of TFE I was completely sick of sand.

31 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I'm surprised to have gotten the best ending in Papers, Please on my first go. Even after finishing it, I'm still hooked on playing endless mode. 

@Agent6 That game has an amazing soundtrack. The Adventures of Batman & Robin for the SNES, The Adventures of Batman & Robin for the Genesis, and Batman Returns for the SNES are all also really good.

I'm going to check the rest of the Batman games. The Batman & Robin ones at the moment however, I don't know, that remains to be seen. I think I'll check Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden after I'm done with these Batman games.

Yes indeed, the soundtrack is fantastic, and so is the art, in fact I'd easily rank this game high up there with the Rocksteady titles, but this game is ridiculously hard, no doubt about this. Barely at stage 4 I think, and gosh those sewers and the boss battle in the area that follows are fucking nightmare in flesh. I'm just so glad Mesen has a save/load feature otherwise I would've probably lost my mind due to the frustration and canned the whole thing.

23 hours ago, SGS Man said:

Replaying Thief Gold and Thief 2 after a really long time. I also get Thief: Dark Shadows recently. Hopefully, that is as good as the first two...

Being able to get the first 3 Thief games (i.e. the good Thief games) for the price of a happy meal is an amazing deal.

I've been hooked on Into the Breach since it came out, and I also just started Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Thief 3, which I paid for through steam trading cards and PUBG crates.

Believe I'm almost done with Resurrection of Evil in the D3 BFG package, yawn, still don't get why some people like this game so much. On level 5 in Turok 2 (finally for the first time conquered my timeless enemy the cave level!), recently went back to Borderlands, am somewhat late game. Finally gave up on BloodRayne 2 after only 2 hours of gameplay because it wasn't getting any better sooner and I live in the age of choice, so if a game is wasting my time it can go fuck itself.

Seriously, horribly designed game, fancy new graphics and fuck all to do with them, boring and repetitive gameplay mechanics, gimmicks galore, it made the first game look god-tier in comparison and even then it's only a decent third person shooter in the long run but at least it was straightforward and fun. So I guess I can see why the series died then.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

I'm going to check the rest of the Batman games. The Batman & Robin ones at the moment however, I don't know, that remains to be seen. I think I'll check Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden after I'm done with these Batman games.

Yes indeed, the soundtrack is fantastic, and so is the art, in fact I'd easily rank this game high up there with the Rocksteady titles, but this game is ridiculously hard, no doubt about this. Barely at stage 4 I think, and gosh those sewers and the boss battle in the area that follows are fucking nightmare in flesh. I'm just so glad Mesen has a save/load feature otherwise I would've probably lost my mind due to the frustration and canned the whole thing.

I haven't played the older Ninja Gaiden games, but the 3D ones are unbelievably good action games. Each remake offers something new, warranting multiple copies of the same title. Like seriously, the first Ninja Gaiden has 3 versions (Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Ninja Gaiden: Sigma 1), the second has 3 versions (Ninja Gaiden 2, and Ninja Gaiden: Sigma 2), and the third has two versions (Ninja Gaiden 3, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge). All of them are distinct games, and each warrants multiple playthroughs.

I can only dream for a PC release...

Or a Ninja Gaiden 4

Anyway, I recently decided to check out Doki Doki Literature Club. I have to say I'm immensely disappointed with it. An arduous trudge with some of the most paper-thin characters I've seen in a while, all just to kill them in the most hilariously contrived ways imaginable. The only thing remotely interesting about it is the occasional file manipulation which comes off as a barely conceptualized gimmick, rather than a fully fleshed out mechanic. That's five hours I regret spending on this tripe.

Edited by SGS Man

Managed to finish the Batman NES game today. Oh by the Devil what a difficult game it was, but I eventually triumphed. This great advantage of bosses typically having one great weakness to beat them, without that, you're dead and done. I suppose all this frustration paid off in the end.

Started playing the other 2 games but... no the sequel Returns doesn't work at all for me, it's totally different from the first, and not in a good way at all... so I abandoned it and picked up the next one actually, and it's much better, though it has its inconveniences as well. By now, I guess it can be clearly said that the first game in the series is the best by far, the 2 sequels are not on par, and Returns is terrible... imo anyway...

After playing all the Batman Arkham games I tried to look for older 3D Batman games and came across Batman: Vengeance, but I found many glitchy and broken parts in the game and I don't know if the PC port was always that way or if it's just having issues on modern computers. After many tries I managed to get through most of the broken parts but my god were they a pain in the arse. I really wanted to like the game since I enjoyed the art style in it, but the broken parts of the game ruined it a lot for me and I just stopped at one of the few remaining levels of the game and uninstalled it. It's a shame how most of the 3D Batman games in the early to middle 2000's didn't have PC ports.

Overload. This game isn't kind of like Descent, it is Descent. This is the Descent 4 everyone has been waiting for for 19 years, and it's really fucking good.

I played through Streets of Rage for the first time. It's decent but nowhere near as good as Final Fight. Some of the bosses and sub-bosses were obnoxiously unbalanced. I hear the sequels are a big improvement. 

Played a bit of Metroid and now checking out Battletoads.

Battletoads is legendarily easy so don't know why you'd want to bother with that, can finish it in literally less than 15 minutes if you just gun for it.

Budokai Tenkaichi 3, downloading a mod that adds all characters from Super until last week's episode.

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

Battletoads is legendarily easy so don't know why you'd want to bother with that, can finish it in literally less than 15 minutes if you just gun for it.

I dunno, no harm in checking it out, not like I'm busy with another dozen of games atm :v .

4 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Um... I assume this is sarcasm. Battletoads is notorious for being batshit hard.

1 hour ago, SGS Man said:

Um... I assume this is sarcasm. Battletoads is notorious for being batshit hard.

Was going to say this... you beat me to it.

6 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Playing the original F.E.A.R. for the first time in years. Such an amazing game!

Criminally underrated as well.

7 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Playing the original F.E.A.R. for the first time in years. Such an amazing game!

*sighs and unzips*

guess it's time for me to reinstall it

Is the first FEAR really that underrated? IIRC it's the most popular of the three games. I would say Extraction Point is underrated however, and I like to consider it canon.

I played the original, Extraction Point and Fear 2, but I preferred the former two over the latter. I did eventually get Perseus Mandate but I haven't played it that far and for quite a while now.