Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Finished Amnesia today.

Damn good game, glad I played and finished it and they did an awesome job with the sanity system, that alone constantly messed with my mind and make me hyper-attentive, which also resulted in quite a number of small heart attacks when monsters took me by surprise. And that nightmarish chase music...

I also liked the torture chambers and the methods employed to extract vitae from the victims, disturbing and cruel, and although those flashbacks were generally only audio dialogues they felt more than just reliving past events and experiences. Among those few that were also visual is the sacrifice performed in the Chancel area, quite the experience to witness Daniel's lunacy in action, the way he was talking and cutting the flesh... And that Shadow chase near the very end, intense action, same for the invisible monster, an enemy I completely forgot about, so the first encounter scared the shit out of me, roaring creature closing in with intimidating steps to eat me alive... O_O . It was equally fascinating to watch it devour the body parts I threw to distract it and advance. Too bad they didn't explore the nature of the Shadow and this creature more, we do know what's important but there's still some questions left.

Unsurprisingly, I stopped Alexander so I didn't get any of the alternative endings, though I could go back and experience them as well for curiosity. I liked the premise, basic as it was it was presented in a believable way, and I liked the characters, Alexander, Daniel, and so on, but Agrippa is probably the most interesting of all. But eh, just got his head and did nothing with him afterwards this playthrough :v , I'll go back to a very recent save to experience the other possible endings later.

All things considered, I loved the game, and it kept me on the edge almost all times, so I don't want to relive the experience from start to finish anytime soon, I first need to recover my sanity from it's current level of " ... " :v . So no, this means I won't check out the sequel yet.

vis.gif

12 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

"review"

Glad you enjoyed Amnesia, one of my favorites too :)

The sequel is something else however, basically it made me feel that this is not a amnesia game, but rather a source walking simulator :(

31 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Glad you enjoyed Amnesia, one of my favorites too :)

The sequel is something else however, basically it made me feel that this is not a amnesia game, but rather a source walking simulator :(

Yeah, heard it's quite different and it attracted quite a bit of negativity, but I guess I'll see how it is for myself when I'll regain my sanity :v .

You should check out the Amnesia Lore series on youtube :) it gives more details on the events of Amnesia and some other stuff that the game doesn't fully explain like the origin of Alexander, his intentions and the Shadow.

Also don't forget to play Amnesia Justine before you jump to a Machine for Pigs :p

I'm playing Soma, but it hasn't grabbed me yet. Amnesia wasn't my favorite Frictional game. For some reason, Penumbra really clicked with me, the feeling of going deeper and deeper underground in almost complete isolation.

I've recently bought Kerbal Space Program just to launch rockets into the moon and have cheap laughs.... and now i can't stop playing it, it's really unoptimized, lacks a lot of polish in carrer mode, stock music it's annoying, but it's been really fun, quite addicting too, my type of game i guess

Getting ready to play Hexen. I've beaten Heretic but I'm a bit iffy about whether or not I wanna play the bonus episodes included with Shadow of the Serpent Riders, so instead I'm playing the sequel/spinoff/whatever.

I'm playing Hexen 2. I played the demo a long time ago and hated it. It's better than I remember, but it's not exactly setting my world on fire. Some good ideas, but the combat feels sloppy, and a few of the puzzles are a bit obtuse. I'm amazed that I haven't gotten stuck yet. I've heard a few times that it's literally impossible to beat the game without a walkthrough, but I'll see if that's true or not.

Edited by Ajora

I hear Game of Tomes improves the combat of Hexen II, while making the RPG elements actually mean something. But I've yet to try it out, still want to play the other classes and the expansion a few more times.

You'll be fine on puzzles until you get to Thysis, there's a rather infamous puzzle on there that is not explained well and you may render it near impossible to finish without having foreknowledge as to how it works.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

I am currently at level 6 of 15 and so far I am loving it, although the combat can become a bit hard at times (thank God there is that shield powerup).

The graphics are mostly polygons everywhere, but I love the way it looks and it doesn't burn my eyes like earlier 3d games. I don't know what happened, but I even sat a few moments and looked at the sky and the sun and I felt like it was beautiful, in its own unique way.

And at its core, the game contains a shit ton of jokes and funny moments!

Some funny stuff here:

Spoiler

But the main thing I like in it, is its sense of mobility. Each level is quite large, but you have some special moves depending on the character (jetpack, fast leaps that cover great distances, e.t.c.), that make traversal really easy and enjoyable. In fact, you don't need to walk all that much. The movement is like jetpack for 5-10 seconds, walk for 3 seconds until the jetpack recharges and repeat and you get such a great sense of momentum, each time you use those moves.

@ShotgunDemolition Mate I loved Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

A real shame is how I never managed to play the game on Multiplayer. I wanted to play with 3 factions, 2 base building and 1 Giant Kabuto messing things up.

5 hours ago, Chezza said:

A real shame is how I never managed to play the game on Multiplayer. I wanted to play with 3 factions, 2 base building and 1 Giant Kabuto messing things up.

That I would really want to see! I am guessing that there still might be a really small community for multiplayer in the game. I saw that it definitely existed, on a video from a youtube channel called RagnarRox, though it has been 10 months since that video was uploaded, so maybe the community is dead now (will search for that, once I finish the game).

Also, I am really looking forward to playing the Kabuto and wrecking shit up, but until then, I will get used to the bow of Delphi (I swear, I prefer leaping on the enemies and cutting them down with the sword, which is really fun, instead of using the normal bow - the explosive one is really helpful though).

Citizen Kabuto is one of those games I'm definitely looking forward to playing. I 'member seeing it in an old PC magazine back when it was minty fresh and finding it pretty interesting (although I was a bit too young to care about more serious vidya at all). Stumbling upon it on Steam and GOG out of the blue was a really nice surprise. Pretty cool that such a niche title has reemerged and is getting the attention it probably deserved long ago.

I'm cycling between all 4 original Devil May Cry games. There's something to like about each of them (yes, even 2), but replaying them has cemented DMC3 as one of my favorite games outright. I honestly think 1 holds up pretty well, while 4 is a disappointment as a game.

1 has great atmosphere, level design, bosses and paces itself remarkably well. It still is one of the best introductions to the Character Action genre.

2 exists. It does a great job reminding you of how the other games are far superior.

3 is a masterpiece of gameplay depth. It has the best level design in the series, the best story (although that's not saying much), the most weapon and style variety, and the best bosses by far (although Credo from DMC4 and Vergil / Hollow Vergil from DmC:DMC are comparable in terms of overall quality). I would recommend this game to anyone, even non-fans of Character Action.

4's Dante is arguably the deepest character in the Character Action genre, but every other aspect of 4 disappoints. Nero is good but is relatively easy to master. The Special Edition messes gameplay balance to an outright comical level. Seriously, DMC4SE's balance is so broken it makes DmC:DMC's Style meter look well-crafted by comparison. Vergil, Trish, and Lady obliterate the already paper-thin enemies due to their sheer damage output. 4's Vergil is a flashy combination of DMC3SE Vergil and DmC:DMC Vergil without an understanding of the design choices in the respective games. Trish and Lady have no originality in their move-set whatsoever as they are merely combinations of the move-sets of Dante, Nero, and Vergil. The icing on the cake is that you can play through the campaign 3 times to use all characters, but the campaign involves repeating the same levels twice, and the same bosses (with no changes) thrice.

Yeah, I'd rank the games as :- 3 >= 1 > 4 > 2

With the reboot :- 3 >= 1 > Reboot > 4 > 2

Anyway, I've been considering 'Ori and the Blind Forest' and 'Wings of Vi' recently. Both seem pretty fun.

I decided to play terraria once more, because I miss one achievement and good times with preparations for boss fights and cleaning those tiles before hardmode. 

I recently started playing Unreal Tournament 3 and Diablo 3 on PS3. I haven't had much experience with Unreal games or Blizzard games, for that matter, but I'm really enjoying both. 

I also just got Duke Nukem Forever on PS3, but have yet to play it.

I am still slogging my way through Unreal and I am currently up to Mothership Lab. I don't think it's a bad game but I just haven't been enjoying it much now, I have been doing the same playthrough of it over 5 years now as I have left it for a while and came back to it quite a few times. It was a bit more fun when I first got into it 2013.

Edited by Avoozl

5 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

@SGS Man DMC 2 has a great soundtrack, but that's about it.

I guess that's sort of true. I just remembered another thing the newer DMCs have forgotten-

"Easy Mode is now Selectable"

The sheer condescension of that quote is pure comedic gold to me.

Lol dying in DMC 1 three times just for it to ask if you want to go on Easy Automatic. One of the high points of humility in my teenage life.

@SGS Man, I had a go through the Devil May Cry HD collection and DMC4SE recently. My brief thoughts on the matter:

DMC1: A stone-cold classic that I remember fondly from my playthroughs on PS2, but it does suffer from Resident Evil camera quite badly. I'm better now than I was then, so I chewed through it on Normal capably enough. Maybe I'll go back for a higher difficulty, or try to get and beat all of the secrets one day, but with all the games I'm still yet to play that I own, that day is a long way away.

DMC2: This was my first DMC, so I'm biased towards it. I'd agree it's relative simplicity in playstyle; very shallow plot; zoomed-out, barebones aesthetic and the repetition between the two discs are all notable detractors and it isn't as good as the other two from the PS2 era, but on it's own it's still a good game. I remember the fish boss on Lucia's disc being a roadblock I never overcame on "Must Die" difficulty and the Trismaga doing the same to Dante on his equivalent, so I was content to just rip through it on the highest difficulty available at the start. I liked a lot of the bosses, even if they're not given much dialogue or weight compared to the ones in the original and I could happily go back to this on higher difficulties again, too, although whether I'd get any further these days isn't something I'd care to speculate on. The soundtrack might actually be the best in the whole series, as people have mentioned!

DMC3SE : I'd never played the Special Edition before, so this was my first time with the very-obviously-inserted clown battles, the gold/yellow orb life system and Virgil's gameplay. I found the game held up very well to my memories of it as the best of the three and enjoyed the revist immensely. Revisiting the bosses so obviously at the end did strike me as tiresome, still. Particularly when I was replaying the game as Virgil anyway, although his insane damage output did trim that down a bit. Also "The time has come and so have I..."

DMC4SE: Another Special Edition I'd not played before, but aside from throwing the balance out with all of those points and OP optional characters, the main thing this did was just add to the repetition the game already suffered heavily from. I mean, playing through it three times means doing most of the game six times. That wouldn't even count the great deal of difficulty modes that each character can play at. I found the permenant DT characters a bit of a laugh, though, just for sheer overpowering of the enemy cast even at high difficulties.

I look forward to trying out DmC at some point as well, as I own it and the Virgil DLC. As things stand in my own current gaming, I've got 20 parks left in RCT2: TTP and I've just landed the Forza Driver's Cup in Forza 7, meaning I've now unlocked all of the elite events and still have a fair few events in the Driver's Cup to beat. Probably another month at least, in there. Hopefully tomorrow's move is to somewhere with internet so I can keep up with everything.

I also revisted StarWing (now called Star Fox in the UK as well) on the SNES Classic Mini, beating all three routes. Great game that is almost visually overwhelming when blown up on a 47" TV at the end of a bed. The soundtrack is fantastic still, with great Star Wars-inspired tracks sitting alongside rock-influenced action pieces and other styles that do a good job of setting an atmosphere of menace. I wish I made more time for that console, as I'm always enjoying it immensely on the rare occassion I do play it and the games normally aren't too long.

Edited by Phobus

@Phobus DmC is polarising game. For people who associate strongly with the original characters, DmC is a bastardization of the original cast. And even when viewed as its own entity, it is very inconsistent in story and characters. Gameplay-wise it is mechanically inferior to DMC 3 and DMC 4 (albeit only barely). However, DmC excels at level design, downtime between combat, and locational variety. The Vergil DLC is remarkable though. I find DmC Vergil to be the best character gameplay-wise after DMC4 Dante and DMC3 Dante. (Plus he gets his own levels and boss)

Dead Rising 4: Frank's Big Package, on the PS4. It's a fun game. Not really focusing on the story (but, really: who plays any of the DR games for the story?). Mowing down hordes of zombies is hilariously awesome in this game. I like to get into a tractor or a muscle car and push the big ass circle hay bales into crowds of zombies. Cracks me up every time, without fail.

2 hours ago, SGS Man said:

@Phobus DmC is polarising game. For people who associate strongly with the original characters, DmC is a bastardization of the original cast. And even when viewed as its own entity, it is very inconsistent in story and characters.

As much as I think the final game is pretty good for what it is I kinda wish they would've stuck with their original style portrayed in the 2010 trailer, Dante was more punk-y, the atmosphere was darker, it looked more grounded as well. I think they were scared by the backlash received and with each new trailer and teaser after that they wanted to the game to appeal to a more broad audience, especially longtime DMC fans.

Recently got Ghost Recon Wildlands. It's a fun sandbox open-world shooter with a Huge map, but lacks certain polished gameplay mechanics that are implemented better in GTA 5 - such as driving, player movement, missions, variety of cars and peds etc.

I've completed the time-management game Cook, Serve, Delicious! recently, and the surprising thing was that this was the first time in a long time when I've been truly satisfied and exhilarated by finishing a game. Odd, because its ending is technically nothing that spectacular, the game basically congratulates you enthusiastically. But it feels a lot more warm and pleasant than say, the ending of the game completed before that (Dead Space), which (as typical for horror games) is basically "HA HA JOKE'S ON YOU, THINGS ARE STILL GONNA SUCK."

I've been stuck in the middle of Last Express for a few months now. I originally wanted real bad to complete the whole game by myself, and spend some free time to think extra hard on puzzles and plan out of my moves and so on. But right now, I don't know if I shouldn't just give up and glance at a walkthrough to get past this tricky part.

I do love the game's emergent structure, and the way all its puzzles feel like "natural" things to do -- you don't think like a gamer, you think like a character of an adventure story, and it's fantastic.

I'm playing Doki Doki Literature Club, or more precisely, not playing it. Horror games like these just require me to be in a specific mood. So far the game deserves credit for being genuinely scary and disturbing, but on the other hand, after completing the first part damn near gave me nightmares, I've been putting off playing it, again and again.