Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

6 hours ago, Marlamir said:

For the first time i have pc strong enough to play Half-Life 2

Jesus, what did you have? A 486?

8 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Perhaps a Pentium 4?

I was stuck with one for a decade, and while it could RUN the game, it could never reach more than 30-40fps, on medium settings @ 1280x1024 (well, what, who goes as far as lowering all graphics detail and the resolution down to 800x600 in HL2? Source games look like cartoons on low).

That thing lagged even in GZDoom while playing Doom 2 with all fancy stuff disabled lmao.

Just now, Agent6 said:

Perhaps a Pentium 4?

I was stuck with one for a decade, and while it could RUN the game, it could never reach more than 30-40fps, on medium settings @ 1280x1024 (well, what, who goes as far as lowering all graphics detail and the resolution down to 800x600 in HL2? Source games look like cartoons on low).

That thing lagged even in GZDoom while playing Doom 2 with all fancy stuff disabled lmao.

Well, I was stuck for several years with a laptop that had an AMD 2100 E1 APU @1.0 GHz. It had pretty much the same performance as your P4 in HL2, although I could play with high settings. And GZDoom? It wouldn't go over 40 fps on OpenGL, so I was stuck with software rendering, and only on small maps so the CPU didn't suffer too much. Hell, early 00s games lagged on it, and I couldn't play a lot of earlier games because the fucking thing had Windows 8 and thus abysmal performance on DirectX 7 games.

So yeah, I know how it feels. However, I assumed Marlamir meant he couldn't run the game at all.

39 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Hell, early 00s games lagged on it, and I couldn't play a lot of earlier games

Me neither. If performance wasn't the issue, compatibility certainly was.

I had to use Win 7 on the toaster after the support for XP ended (performance was mostly fine on XP however), and the game performance was utter bullshit, the only games it could run decently were GoldSrc powered games and Quake, everything else had low FPS. That is, unless the maps featured fog and other effects such as smoke, which resulted in, like... 10fps? Just like I said it lagged on early 00s games as well, while I used XP it could run the original NFS Underground on high just fine. On 7? Not a chance, reflections would tank my performance in many areas and even when it was "fine" it never went higher than 40fps. Underground 2 suffered from bigger issues, I'd often run in various unloaded areas and would have to wait for the game to load them lol.

I think the CPU was simply fried after years of usage. Even after the card it shipped with (GeForce 6200 Turbocache) died and I replaced it with a 210 as well as the 512MB RAM stick with a 2GB one the performance barely improved. That thing could simply not handle anything newer than Win XP. You don't want to know how poor the performance was in programs like Office or while browsing the web on Firefox (both Chrome and IE were a big no, but for different reasons). It couldn't even play videos decently in any player... 720p videos lagged and 1080p ones would barely play if at all, they'd often stop after a few minutes...

Edited by Agent6

Couldn't play HL2 (the old version) on my XP with Pentium 4 and everything as low as it could go as it eventually crashed shortly after the chase with the metro cops with the train coming. I could play Doom 3, though, even if it didn't look as intended, or run the smoothest, and would BSOD once in a while likely from running out of memory, from begin to end. With on-board video to boot.

Not really 'currently' but at least on my agenda I'm playing Persona 4, Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ and mostly GZDooM Mods.

To those who doesn't know, Persona is a 'spinoff' of Shin Megami Tensei's mainline, which is at least as far as I know, a dungeon crawler saga where you can explore difficult dungeons and summon demons in-battle to help you in every fight, actually you need to catch more and more demons. You can also fuse them to have stronger demons and stuff.

Persona saga is basically that but those demons are now 'Personas', physical manifestation of one's mind and soul.

I can't explain it well though, but Persona 4 is a pretty cool game and I recommend it to you all.

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ is also one of my favorite (or my number one favorite) rogue-like and I just love to get overpowered builds to one-hit bosses until final bosses.

Lastly uh well, I don't need to explain about GZDooM, but I love to play those DooM II Mods and I have like 30? or something on like 5 different carpets I think lol

19 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Heh you not that far from true, i was using netbooks all those years since i didn't playing games that often i wasn't care since now when i decide for something much stronger. I think it would be possible to run it on netbooks, not sure about the perffomance though.

I'm gonna start playing Minecraft again because why the hell not. I've only got like 3 years worth of updates to go through first though...20180714_181150.jpg.7e60f12c6cf1a4855ab46c226a00ede3.jpg

I finished my second playthrough of Doom 64 today. I died several times in Watch Your Step, and there I was like "Why are there so many enemies? Fucking level... what was it called? Oh yeah, Watch Your Step... Oh! WATCH YOUR STEP!" I legit wanted to bang my head against the wall after that. Also, I was playing with a controller up until the final level, but I just wasn't capable of killing the final boss with it, so I had to switch to mouse + keyboard. And whoever thought of the "rebalancing" for the Lost Soul and Pain Elemental can go fuck themselves.

A couple days ago I started playing Diablo 2 in coop with a friend. I picked the Barbarian and he the Sorceress, complementary opposites. The funny thing is that we didn't even discuss it, it kind of just happened. None of us has played the game before, so we're going in pretty much blind.

Shadowgate has gotten me to going around in circles for hours, and I'm on the brink of ripping my hair out. I've beaten the original game many years ago, but this version seems significantly harder. Good grief. 

Finished Hollow Knight with 82% completion initially, then went back and looked up some stuff that I missed.  Beautiful game and longer than I expected but well worth the time I put into it.  I had also finished Guacamelee a few weeks ago.  I do like my Metroidvanias. :)

Think I'll start A Hat in Time next.

Red Faction Guerilla Re-mars-tered, honestly I am not really seeing much difference from the original game besides increased brightness and blinding sun brightness which I think is overdone. They fixed performance issues I guess but it's got quite a few bugs.

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

increased brightness and blinding sun brightness

I hate developers that think seeing nothing is a good idea.

––

I finished Dying Light this evening. Very good game (the fighting, crafting system, parkour system, atmosphere, etc.) with a story that's complete garbage at best. Most characters are either annoying or psychopathic or both.

"Let's put our differences behind us. For science. You monster."

I played through Portal 2 again, such a good game. I went through it with the developer commentary this time; it's a lot of fun knowing about all the trickery behind the scenes, and the design decisions that had to be made or reworked for the game to play well. I'm currently playing Portal Stories: Mel, and it's been pretty fun so far.

After finishing RFG yesterday I decided to reinstall and play the first Red Faction game along with Dash Faction launcher to run it on newer systems. I really enjoy the sci-fi-esque music in this game and always enjoy the idea that you are on Mars.

@Avoozl Such an incredibly flawed game, I used to love it, one of my favorite games and favorite shooters when I was 14-25. But nostalgia has not been kind to it. Half-Life is another flawed, aged game that's been done better (or rather I prefer its competitor, Unreal, for immersive world building and storytelling) but I still get an itch to go back to it for some reason. Red Faction on the other hand has effectively dodged any sentiment of fun or interest for long when I try to return to it as of the past 3 years (my standards have no doubt been raised). Yeah the soundtrack by Dan Wentz is amazing, same great stuff in its IMHO worse sequel (which could've been a better game if it didn't suffer from severe consolitis), and it has some great weapons and a pretty fun multiplayer. But man is the campaign a haphazard, badly paced and cliche mess.

Without the well written backstory for each character (including some that were left out even in the manual) the game does a terrible job at trying to make you care about them, since it doesn't say much outside of 'this is the good guy/gal, this is the bad guy/gal', and similarly it leaves out important buildup for the story and unfolding revolt. The game starts abruptly and the way weapon progression is handled is unusual and not very good, scenarios sorta just conveniently flow from one to another, any and all NPCs die after moments of meeting them, it's just a mess. The game's formula was clearly very obviously inspired by Half-Life, and a reviewer once even went as far as to call it Half-Life on Mars. But I don't think it's as expertly crafted.

More-so there's an extremely annoying mandatory stealth section pretty early on in the game, and the last half of the game against the new enemy (without spoiling it for those who haven't played) was more frustrating than fun due to the map author(s) seemingly forgetting to add health pickups for stretches of time. Vehicle sections are shoehorned in and underutilized (it was originally meant to be a Descent game interestingly enough before they decided on a new IP), the bosses are annoying, absolute pushovers or lazy, and that last sequence with a timer, good lord who thought that would be fun. It's stuff like this that makes it hard to go back to. The visuals also aged rather badly, especially character models, but the destruction (and the shattering glass effect) is still pretty cool to witness at least, if also horribly underutilized.

How badly some games are aged is quite a subject, it would deserve a different topic, i recently played again games that i loved for the psx and ps2 and God, i can barely go trough them.

I am currently playing World of Goo and Odallus: The Dark Call.

Doom 3
I am very positively surprised, often new parts of classic games lose their climate. Here the climate is different, but the game is great :-)

Path of Exile
Currently, my favorite MMO, I've been playing PoE for three years. A worthy successor to another classic from the game, Diablo 2. The combat system does not stand out, it's fine. Lot of fun with trading and buy or sell poe currency. Great builds, skill tree and lots of fun with PoE currency and orbs. The whole alchemy of this game is fun.
If you want to produce fast and efficiently strong and tasty food and people who also respect the laws of axioms and what we can call ourselves as people. Human action and trading on the market are so great and create an economy, they create currencies and barter - thanks to them you can trade and buy poe orbs safely - if you pay with a card, and I give you cash and I will know everything about what you do. If you dream of buying a poe currency then you can fulfill your dreams and dreams that the groats will break out, then buy exalted orbs :-)
I really respect all people who strive to make people respect and buy poe currency (Path of Exile)
So let's BUY POE CURRENCY ;-)

Edited by Pytel

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords, With The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod. Can't play without it.

I've gone back to Severance: Blade of Darkness and I just finished the level with the ice golum boss at the end. This game can be quite brutal, I am beginning to understand why people are calling this Dark Souls of 2001 although I don't usually like to say an older game is like a newer game, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Edited by Avoozl

Around 1 week ago i find game called overlord. Didnt expect much from this but i fall in love with this game. Is refreshing for me to play as a bad guy, i really like the theme and mood in this.

I got into the Sly Cooper games since last year, I left my playthough of the first game on hiatus until today when I finally finished it and have moved on to the second game already. I used to want these games when they came out but I was a Nintendo player back then and had a Gamecube.