Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

I bought a Nintendo Switch, but still play old familiar stuff (Borderlands) instead of Mario and Zelda.

I find at least some enjoyment out of SS but it does piss me off with the bullshit difficulty at times.

19 hours ago, Ajora said:

Serious Sam is poorly designed, overrated dreck, but I'd hardly go as far as to call it one of the worst games ever made. 

Yeah. That's why I called it one of the worst games I have ever played. :)

7 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I find at least some enjoyment out of SS but it does piss me off with the bullshit difficulty at times.

I played on Normal which I thought would be fine but apparently after 9h I'm still missing something important about they way you're supposed to play because some situations were incredibly frustrating.

5 hours ago, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (steam gave us free back then)

I am not familiar with XCOM franchise but this game not bad nor good

I actually like how you can controll your teammates

Wow, that's like the least representative introduction to X-COM possible.

Giving Doom3: the Lost Mission a go; not overly impressed with bad guys spawning practically on top of you.

7 hours ago, Vermil said:

Giving Doom3: the Lost Mission a go; not overly impressed with bad guys spawning practically on top of you.

I wasn't impressed at all when I played it. In fact, I can barely remember anything about it.

i am playing serious sam for the first time too, trying to beat the game on serious difficulty without midlevel saving.

I made it to level ten but keep getting my ass kicked by snipers, i make it to the end one time but get killed by a horde of skeletons. this game on the highest difficulty is seriously (lol) one of the hardest games ive played that isnt a SHMUP, no joke

i do not to echo any feeling on the matter this games quality, he has a large variety of enemies with almost no redundant ones, and it is the only FPS game i've played that consistently provides fights which cannot be dodged by only simple evasive maneuvers (circle strafing, sidestepping back and forth or running aimlessly) and it manages to do this without spamming hitscan enemies like other games tend to resort to.

I figure I only have a couple of hours left in Avernum 4, so maybe I'll finish it this month. I really want to try out the Geneforge series. It's similar to Avernum, but different enough to be interesting.

I'm still hopelessly addicted to World of Warcraft and it's latest expansion. It's soooo goooood! Can't wait to see where the story goes from here :D

I... uh... had to stop playing Silent Hill. I quite literally started to feel sick when I was playing, and it just got worse the more I played it, to the point where I was stressing myself more than I was having fun.

I'm... kind of embarrassed, heh. The game is too well done, more than what I'm able to handle, apparently.

3 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I... uh... had to stop playing Silent Hill. I quite literally started to feel sick when I was playing, and it just got worse the more I played it, to the point where I was stressing myself more than I was having fun.

I'm... kind of embarrassed, heh. The game is too well done, more than what I'm able to handle, apparently.

That's one hell of a way to know a horror game is any good. If it doesn't mess with you in any way then it belongs in the trash.

3 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Reading this makes me want to play Silent Hill 1. I've only ever played Silent Hill 4: The Room. 

Sillent hill 1 and2 are good. Been playing warframe. About tired of it. Way too grindy,  more hook than it is fun.

So I decided to get into Warframe, I enjoyed it for a time but now I am finding certain problems with it.

4 hours ago, Ajora said:

Reading this makes me want to play Silent Hill 1. I've only ever played Silent Hill 4: The Room. 

If you like well done psychological horror, you're seriously missing out by not playing it.

6 hours ago, KVELLER said:

If you like well done psychological horror, you're seriously missing out by not playing it.

I'm sure I'd really enjoy the first three Silent Hill games. Just don't know when I'll ever get around to them.

I played each of the Frictional Games games (i mentioned them on this forum no less) a bit ago and was personally more freaked out by Amnesia the Dark Descent than any of the first Silent Hills. The prison section in particular had me so stressed out that I actually had to beat it over multiple play sessions, which is pretty unlike me. Probably the most frightened a game's ever made me. The plot's not quite as interesting though.

Working my way through A Machine for Pigs rn, slightly less impressed so far. The opening of the game relies a lot of the spooky underscoring and soundscape, which is pretty immersive, but theres also a lot more 'oooh spooky children' and BANG THE PIANO SHUT CLOSED and theres just way less breathing room between scares. It feels like if the original game was the exorcist, this game is like...the conjuring

12 hours ago, EtherBot said:

Amnesia

First of all, I have to point out that I haven't played Amnesia (and don't intend to). Now, Silent Hill didn't really scare me all that much, and I'm sure other games (hell, even Doom 3 at times) have more immediate scares and potentially stressful areas, but what SH did was get under my skin and torment me even when I wasn't playing. But anyway, that probably differs from person to person.

32 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I'm sure other games (hell, even Doom 3 at times) have more immediate scares and potentially stressful areas

Forgive me if I'm wrong but to me this seems like a specific reference to my comment about the prison section being stressful, and then somehow comparing it to Doom 3(?), or at least to other more 'immediately scary' games like Outlast or the like. Using the prison section as an example, I'd like to point out that there are maybe 4 enemies patrolling that area, and even then it tends to be one at a time which gives the impression that there's only one enemy overall. The area stressed me out because of the lack of encounters, the impenetrable darkness (combined with the lantern oil mechanic) and the impressive sound design that makes it seem like there's always an enemy somewhere nearby in the map even when there potentially isn't. Amnesia is light on jumpscares, I think the only genuine example of one is a door blowing open in the wind in the first level of the game... a pretty far cry from Doom 3.

38 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

what SH did was get under my skin and torment me even when I wasn't playing.

Silent Hill did the same for me as well, but that's just how I define 'being scared' lol.

43 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I haven't played Amnesia (and don't intend to)

You mention having no intentions of playing Amnesia and I can't help but wonder if it's because you perhaps don't have a PC or, aside from Silent Hill, aren't into horror games. Because aside from those I just have to assume you're really badly informed as to what kind of game Amnesia is(?). At risk of sounding like an unwavering fanboy of Amnesia (although it might be too late anyway, despite the fact that I do have reservations about the game) it's pretty freaking unsettling, and more like Silent Hill's brand of dread than any other non-Silent Hill game, imo. I personally found the game scarier, not because of some vaguely more immediate scares or potentially stressful sections, but because of the unrelentingly oppressive atmosphere and buildup, combined with both a genuinely creepy backstory as well as really really tight mechanics that serve to make the game scary instead of thrilling.

This ended up on the longer side, sorry about that lol. I can talk more about horror than anything, except maybe Doom.

53 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

First of all, I have to point out that I haven't played Amnesia (and don't intend to)

Why tho?

3 hours ago, EtherBot said:

Because aside from those I just have to assume you're really badly informed as to what kind of game Amnesia is(?). At risk of sounding like an unwavering fanboy of Amnesia (although it might be too late anyway, despite the fact that I do have reservations about the game) it's pretty freaking unsettling, and more like Silent Hill's brand of dread than any other non-Silent Hill game, imo. I personally found the game scarier, not because of some vaguely more immediate scares or potentially stressful sections, but because of the unrelentingly oppressive atmosphere and buildup, combined with both a genuinely creepy backstory as well as really really tight mechanics that serve to make the game scary instead of thrilling.

Yeah, I guess I was misinformed, sorry about that.

You mention having no intentions of playing Amnesia and I can't help but wonder if it's because you perhaps don't have a PC or, aside from Silent Hill, aren't into horror games.

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Why tho?

It's just that the whole "run away and hide" type of gameplay doesn't appeal to me, no matter how good the atmosphere can be. I played Silent Hill because you have means to defend yourself, even if sometimes it's still a better idea to avoid confrontations.

This ended up on the longer side, sorry about that lol. I can talk more about horror than anything, except maybe Doom.

No problem! I love talking and hearing (reading?) opinions about games :)

21 minutes ago, Marlamir said:

Just finished Quake 2 for another time, i love this game.

me too. i wish there were more mods and custom maps for this game, like there is for the first one.