Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

@Avoozl The Reckoning is probably my favorite of the Quake II games.

Finished ep1 of NBlood on Well Done (yay no more difficulty bug!) and starting on Dungeon Siege.

On 2/14/2019 at 5:15 AM, Avoozl said:

Right now I'm playing the The Reckoning mission pack for Quake 2 via KMQuake 2 with the hi res texture pack and a few hi quality weapon models.

I have to replay Quake 2 and the mission packs again soon. 

Meanwhile I got back into playing Doom 2016.  Just made it back to Mars after going to hell.

even though there's strictly speaking, more stuff in Ground Zero (including a new boss, since The Reckoning just recycled the old boss), I also found it extremely annoying to play with all the HP padded turrets in almost every room all over the place. The Reckoning was just overall more fun to play. It did have problems with HP padded monsters that weren't much threat (the phalanx gladiators), but at least it didn't have turrets. heh

Ground Zero on hard was a nightmare, and turrets were only half the battle, I only realized just how much power armor trivializes the game when it is not included. That shit is too OP so I avoid using it now in the regular game. Even the power ups like quad damage feel like strange leftovers from Q1 and seem outta place given the Strogg's environment, and make your already powerful weapons excessively damaging, cheesing the bosses.

ShenMue on the PS4. My DC disc 1 is scuffed, and having it resurfaced didn't fix it. Blazing through the PI portion just so I can spend more time practicing moves.

I resumed my first playthrough of F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate which I have left on hiatus since 7th July 2015 as said on my last save. I only ever played the other expansion pack Extraction Point once and a similar situation happened where I had to put it on hold after getting a new PC at some point and because of a stuttering issue on more modern PC's.

In the middle of ep2 of Blood in NBlood on Well Done, my favorite episode in the game. Beat ep1 of Heretic in Chocolate Heretic on skill 4 since I'm having a Raven kick once again (but with no mid-level saving). Got my first NPC buddy in Dungeon Siege recently, really unique game if you haven't heard of it, like a blend of ARPG and squad-based RTS that allows up to a total of eight NPCs in your party. Starting unit 4 in Quake II via KMQuake II (playing on hard and ignoring/dropping the power armor).

On 2/14/2019 at 5:55 AM, Ajora said:

I recently played through about 90% of Alex Kidd in Miracle World. As with Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, which I finished on the PS2 maybe 5 years ago, it has some neat ideas and fun powerups, but poor controls and wonky hit detection. The game is far removed from being difficult but can be really annoying and cheap at times. Having to fight bosses by playing rock paper scissors was a stupid idea then and it's a stupid idea now. I've often thought of Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle as the most average game I've ever played but seeing as how it retained most of the annoying design features of the original Alex Kidd, without really improving upon much, I can safely say that my respect for that game has dropped, though I definitely had more fun playing it than I did with Miracle World. I have no desire to play Miracle World ever again.

Having played Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle on the XBox 360 Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection around about a year ago, I think you've got a similar opinion of it to the one I left with. The majority of the game just doesn't really come together very well. The last level was both longer and better than a lot of the rest of the game, though. The only downside? It still ended on rock paper scissors, for some reason. Truly baffling game design.

I did finish Secret of Mana on the SNES Classic Mini at some point a couple of weeks ago, which ended on a boss fight that seemed to expect me to see perspective in some dodgy sprite-based 3D... Not quite as difficult to work with as navigating the world riding Flammie was, but still not exactly intuitive. On the plus side, I was slightly over-levelled and therefore fully capable of keeping myself in the fight long enough to luck through it. The story ends on a bittersweet note, which felt appropriate for a game that tries it's best to pull at your heart strings at various points, whilst essentially being an upbeat and colourful experience. Really good game, for all I've noted about it not being intuitive. 

Next on my to-do list, courtesy of RNGsus, is Ecco: The Tides of Time. I really liked the original Ecco the Dolphin when I played it early last year, even if it did enter a special world of kicking my arse near the end of the game, so I'm looking forward to making a start on this when I get/make the time.

im obsessing over celeste and slay the spire recently

feel like I don't wanna revisit FPS stuff unless people from these boards have a hand in it

plus slay the spire is moddable and you can see the code
and an official celeste level modder is rumoured now and then

also learning how to mess with the pico-8, i'm already pseudo-handy with the internal tracker

@yakfak I'm a big fan of Celeste too :D It's one of those special games that nails the gameplay, presentation and emotions. Killer soundtrack as well. Up there on my best Christmas purchases :)

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (ridiculously long title) on the switch with the kiddo a lot lately. Loving it so far

I started Away-Journey to the unexpected.

They need to fix the controls (very floaty mouse acceleartion, also I need to be able to remap)

Game looks gorgeous but from the reviews I see it's a bit short and repeatitive. Might catch up with it if they update the controls.

After finally completing the last F.E.A.R. expansion for the first time I decided to play through the main game again, I didn't finish my last play through of it from 2013 but I decided to start from scratch again. This time I am actually aiming to use the pistols and they do pack quite a punch I even randomly gibbed an enemy with them somehow, I don't know why I was avoiding them during my many past playthroughs of the game,  I am finding the highest difficulty to be a real cake walk though, I already saved up the maximum of 10 medikits. The last expansion actually added some new challenging enemies and weapons which they were using.

Edited by Avoozl

The FEAR 1 pistol is underrated, it deals a whoppin' 40 points of damage per shot, when paired it is extremely deadly against all but the most armored Replicas. Even by itself it can still take down a typical Replica in seconds regardless of what weapon he's using.

Not counting Doom or Quake; I've recently been playing:

-Kingpin: Life of Crime

-GTA 3

-Max Payne 1

-Diablo 2

-Medieval II: Total War

-ARMA 2

-and sadly, the first Counter-strike.

And a bunch of other stuff. Depends on how many days I'm off.

Continuing my run through of CI's shooters with Code of honor 2 and 3 and Shadow of Stalingrad. 

On 2/18/2019 at 11:50 PM, Catpho said:

@yakfak I'm a big fan of Celeste too :D It's one of those special games that nails the gameplay, presentation and emotions. Killer soundtrack as well. Up there on my best Christmas purchases :)

yeah :3 the game really appeals to me despite me not normally playing anything that isn't turn-based :))

much as I'm enjoying grinding on the optional levels I think that if I ever got my hands on a level editor I would be making a explore-y strawberry hunt rather than some sort of kaizo challenge. 5C is already a kaizo challenge lol

I'm playing They Hunger. It's pretty good. Some neat touches and fun set pieces. The pistol seems to be a bit overpowered, and most of the other weapons seem a bit underpowered. Sometimes I'll just explode for no reason. One of the zombie voices reminds me of Hans Moleman.  

Finally decided to play Undertale, in preparation for Deltarune. I was originally planning to do a full "true ending" run, but I'm just now at the Core on the first, pacifist run and... I'm loving it but I feel like, by the time I finish the game, I'll be too burned out to go for another, like, two playthroughs right off the bat. When I'm done with that I might go ahead and finally play Dark Souls.

Other than that, Taiko no Tatsujin on the Switch. Bought it on a whim after an hour of the demo (I've always been a huge fan of rhythm games) and even without the drumkit, I'm having a lot of fun with the motion controls (yeah, I know, absolutely nuts). Might invest on the drum next month tbh.

Been playing Apex and anthem. I'v mixed feelings on anthem. I feel like I paid 60$ for a game that will be drip fed to me and is incomplete. when it runs well there is fun to be had though. as for apex it's my favorite pvp game right now, I hope they make more fixes to netcode.

Replaying through the Dark Souls series, including DS3 which I haven't played before. 2-handed Zweihander build!

I don't think I've ever encountered a bigger bullet sponge in all of video gaming than the final boss of They Hunger (on hard mode, anyway). I was good at conserving my ammo, and was very careful to aim squarely for his head. Eventually, I completely exhausted my ammo supply, so it was either cheat or go back a fair bit. After everything I pumped into his skull before cheating, he still wasn't anywhere close to being dead. I think this is probably the first first-person shooter I've ever beaten by resorting to cheats. The guy who wrote the gamefaqs guide couldn't beat him, either. 

Edited by Ajora

@Ajora Arbitrary difficulty is the worst, especially when it comes to grossly exaggerated health pools. Blood II is still the largest offender in the 3D 90's FPS for this, even on normal, but hard especially as I had to resort to cheating, though only in two of the Nightmare Levels. Whereas Unreal may be the best case, because it's so gradual with each difficulty mode, enemies get really tough and your weapons do feel less effective, but it's never bullshit. Half-Life is just annoying on hard, plain and simple.

Um, Half-Life does not increase the Health of enemies on hard, it changes how fast slaves attack, how often grunts lob grenades and enables assassins cloaking behavior, reduces how much health you get from stations and pickups and increases enemy damage. It does not increase enemy HP. that boss just sucks.

You sure about that? Try the MP5 against the HECU on easy, normal and then hard. You use more of it up on hard, making it less effective overall. Also use the shotgun's alt-fire on each difficulty. They can friggin' survive the double shot on hard. Body shots with pistol against Mawmen on each difficulty. Even headshots take a bit more as it ramps up!

I'm playing Project Eden and am up to the 11th and final level, the ambient music in this game is great, this is actually my second ever playthrough.

1 hour ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Um, Half-Life does not increase the Health of enemies on hard, it changes how fast slaves attack, how often grunts lob grenades and enables assassins cloaking behavior, reduces how much health you get from stations and pickups and increases enemy damage. It does not increase enemy HP. that boss just sucks.

Not true.

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Half-Life/Enemies