Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

I revisited Soul Reaver 1 about a month ago. I was a huge fan of it when it came out, but unfortunately, it hasn't aged well. The controls and combat are way too clunky, and the puzzles are tedious. Soul Reaver 2 plays a lot better, but it's unfortunately way too dark. I can't see jack or shit. Oh well, I'm primarily here for the story, and the Legacy of Kain series is superb in that regard. The voice acting also deserves a lot of recognition. 

I remember breaking a Ps2 memory card over one of sr2's puzzles, can't for the life of me remember which one though, tossed the controller on the floor and hit the console instead, disk drive never opened or closed right again either after that.
I only remember that because of how expensive those damned things were.

trying to clear the second loop on Dodonpachi (the most level I can get to is 2-3 on 1 credit, but i can finish first loop without bomb now).

the true final boss is really fun but to defeat him without losing much lives and bombs will be very hard XD

8 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Thats why I'm buying an Nvidia card for my next pc, nothing spectacular, probably a gt1030 or something, but I can't put up with the weird AMD compatibility for much longer.
The fact that it couldn't render 2D sprites at one point is both funny and sad.
If it wasn't for my igpu being shit on it's own, I would've just trashed the card by now.

I swore by AMD cards for quite a while, wouldn't even look at an NVIDIA. Then the driver support started sucking; games refused to run properly on them. I think it was when RAGE came out and it took months to get it working properly on AMD cards that I just said fuck it and bought an NVIDIA card. I've never looked back, and you probably won't either.

2 hours ago, Jello said:

I swore by AMD cards for quite a while, wouldn't even look at an NVIDIA. Then the driver support started sucking; games refused to run properly on them. I think it was when RAGE came out and it took months to get it working properly on AMD cards that I just said fuck it and bought an NVIDIA card. I've never looked back, and you probably won't either.

I was considering switching to AMD for my next PC (far future), because they do have some interesting features, but then I learned about their abysmal driver support and how OpenGL is on them. Yeah, whatever made me consider them in the first place, for the sake of trying something else than Intel/NVIDIA considering I have been using their products my whole life, is gone now.

NVIDIA's drivers have shitty bugs popping up every now and then, since I keep track of their releases the 4xx series has been pretty crappy as of late, and they apparently outright refuse to add support for features Linux has on Windows for a while (dithering is a prime example), but the overall support seems to still be infinitely superior.

3 hours ago, seed said:

but then I learned about their abysmal driver support and how OpenGL is on them.

Their OpenGL drivers are really bad. I have a laptop with integrated GPU (intel HD 620) and dedicated GPU (AMD radeon 530). The dedicated GPU is only roughly 20-25% faster than the integrated GPU, but nonetheless it should still perform better.

But NOOO. Most OpenGL stuff runs worse. And GZdoom runs roughly 50% slower on the dedicated GPU than on the integrated GPU.

Still AMD's future offerings are worth checking out. Especially their CPU side of the things. Quite excited to see the 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs + Navi GPUs and how they fare in the performance/price chart.

Edit: Also when GZdoom gets the Vulkan renderer, the performance for AMD will drastically improve.

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Their OpenGL drivers are really bad. I have a laptop with integrated GPU (intel HD 620) and dedicated GPU (AMD radeon 530). The dedicated GPU is only roughly 20-25% faster than the integrated GPU, but nonetheless it should still perform better.

But NOOO. Most OpenGL stuff runs worse. And GZdoom runs roughly 50% slower on the dedicated GPU than on the integrated GPU.

Still AMD's future offerings are worth checking out. Especially their CPU side of the things. Quite excited to see the 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs + Navi GPUs and how they fare in the performance/price chart.

Edit: Also when GZdoom gets the Vulkan renderer, the performance for AMD will drastically improve.

Problem is, Vulkan will matter most to people who actually play plenty of games built on it. As I don't (and probably won't), Vulkan won't be that big of a deal for me. I'm also rarely playing anything in GZDoom as most stuff I check out is usually limit-removing or Boom-compatible, and not using any of its features or enhancements.

But you're right nonetheless. Their GPU driver support might be abysmal, but their Ryzen CPUs have received a lot of praise and are finally able to compete with Intel's, not to mention they are far cheaper, and in this day and age where almost everything is expensive, it's fantastic to have good, but cheaper alternatives.

Doom (2016), obviously, which nudged me to sign up here. It's the first FPS I am playing on my PS4, although I've played all PC-installments of Doom before. And buy, do I suck at aiming on the gamepad. :-D I noticed it says it has the “aim support” option on in the game menu but I am so bad that I didn't notice any support I was apparently given. 

I am also playing the latest AssCreed for mindless grinding, Styx: Master of Shadows when I want to stress myself with stealth and a couple of platformers, including completing the hardest challenges in Guacamelee 2. 

Damn, I really have to keep my currently playing list lower. :-(

After the kind of delays that one should expect from moving house, I've gotten back in the groove and beaten Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. A game that harkens back to the arcade score attack days and is therefore terribly frustrating as a result. There's no difficulty settings, but you get rated on a 1-10 star scale for the missions and a 1-3 star scale for the challenges. The missions are all over the place in terms of challenge, with the last mission being a severely time limited pain in the arse. The challenges are mostly very difficult and getting a good score would require learning them through repetition. Something I'm not doing, as I managed to unlock and score at least one star on everything.

Positive points? The relatively unique "hot swapping" mechanism of being able to switch which soldier you're controlling is kind of nice, and gives you a lives system in each mission which sometimes is effectively infinite. It mitigates the very rigid class system that the game has, although a lot of missions limit what classes are being spawned.

I really appreciated the story, with NATO and the PRC in a war over oil in Kyrgyzstan, which was presented through obviously biased news reports showing how propaganda changes perspective. The twist at the end with a Bond villain style third party trying to launch nukes after one side has defeated the other (you can play it either way, which changes the second to last mission entirely, but keeps the frustrating final one the same) is also pretty nice, albeit somewhat gratuitous.

Anyway, I moved on to Call of Duty 3 after that on the Xbox 360 and intend to play Battlefield 3 on the PC. The former I'm already halfway through, having dropped from Hard to Normal on the second mission so that the achievements for sticking to certain weapons were easier to get. I'm enjoying CoD3 so far, which isn't a surprise to me as they're generally fun single player campaigns. The less usual Canadian and Polish perspectives on WW2 are welcome!

I can't stomach another minute of Soul Reaver 2. The puzzles are insultingly easy, yet it's infuriatingly difficult to know where I'm supposed to go on account of how samey-looking and dimly lit the environments are. The swimming controls in this game are somehow even worse than the swimming controls in SiN. Combat's no party, either. This game can fuck off.  

Oof, yeah I was thinking of buying Soul Reaver 1 and 2 for nostalgia's sake, was it that bad?
I might have to reconsider...

Screw Fallout 3, I can't even get the damned Bethesda splash screen to come up.
Tried everything I can find to fix it's bad compatibility and absolutely none of it worked, I used to like it but now it just gives me a headache thinking about it, and I haven't actually seen the main menu since late in 2015, no point in bothering with the Xbox version either, apparently the dlc doesn't even work.
Bethesda needs to update their shit.

I am currently playing through Marathon 2: Durandal. I have encountered quite a few frustrating levels later on where I have even raged over them, and I haven't raged over a game in more than a decade and a half.

While the Marathon games do have some unique gameplay mechanics over Doom and the majority of 2.5D Doom clones, their level design is very mediocre and leaves a lot to be desired.

24 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I am currently playing through Marathon 2: Durandal. I have encountered quite a few frustrating levels later on where I have even raged over them, and I haven't raged over a game in more than a decade and a half.

While the Marathon games do have some unique gameplay mechanics over Doom and the majority of 2.5D Doom clones, their level design is very mediocre and leaves a lot to be desired.

Never played the games, but the gameplay footage makes them out to look really, really dull.  

Hey, you know what game doesn't suck? Member Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land for the Gameboy? What a delightful game this is. Excellent level design, fun enemies, lots of hidden secrets and treasure to search for, and a ton of personality. But I swear, the gambling minigame is rigged! Who doesn't love Wario?!

37 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Hey, you know what game doesn't suck? Member Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land for the Gameboy? What a delightful game this is. Excellent level design, fun enemies, lots of hidden secrets and treasure to search for, and a ton of personality. But I swear, the gambling minigame is rigged! Who doesn't love Wario?!

That was a really, really good game. I think I still have it around here somewhere. Might have to dust off the Supergameboy and give it another playthrough. It was far superior to Super Mario Land 2 in all respects. Because Wario is awesome. 

I beat Call of Duty 3 in the second sitting on Normal. Didn't get the "hidden" "achievement" for dying 20 times in one level and finishing it anyway, which I'm glad about. I kind of like the character driven stuff, to an extent, as it makes the game feel a bit more like a war film... Although the fact that you can just not look at what's going on is pretty dumb, particularly in the scripted cut scenes. Still, a pretty decent game!

On 3/29/2019 at 1:22 PM, Ajora said:

Never played the games, but the gameplay footage makes them out to look really, really dull.  

It's more the case of me wanting to play through 2.5D FPS games which I haven't played before, I probably won't pick the games up again after I finish them each. But there does appear to be multiplayer and I will probably try that out if there's a Co-Op mode.

Vigilante 8:2nd Offense, never played Twisted Metal until a short time after TM Black came out.
Vigilante 8 is like a 70's B movie set in the 70's with guns strapped to cars, as a kid, I couldn't ask for more.
V8 2 is still a 70's B movie set in....you guessed it, the 70's but now there's time traveling bad guys.
I miss vehicular combat games, the only thing close I can find today is Crossout, it's not bad but it's not the same for me.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:15 PM, wolfmcbeard said:

Bethesda needs to update their shit.

Careful with what you wish for. They might break things even more :)

On 3/28/2019 at 11:22 PM, Ajora said:

They're nothing to write home about in the gameplay or level design department, but they stand out as some of the first story-driven FPS games, with interesting characters and some pretty good writing. The atmosphere is really cool too, if strange.

Sekiro and apex legends. after this I'll prolly kick through my large resident evil backlog.

Nothing right now. Trying to decide if I want to play Morrowind or Oblivion, I keep both constantly modded and installed on my secondary HD. :P

I used to be very purist about RPG mechanics and so I hated Oblivion. Morrowind's clunky, and took time to grow on me, but it reached me at the right age. Now I just don't care anymore. Skyrim is still boring, right?

1 hour ago, StoneFrog said:

I hated Oblivion. Morrowind's clunky, and took time to grow on me, but it reached me at the right age. Now I just don't care anymore. Skyrim is still boring, right?

Skyrim is boring without mods, I can't even remember the last time I played it vanilla, I don't really mod Morrowind mainly because I haven't looked too much, still trying to build a good list for skyrim and New Vegas.
Got any recommendations for Morrowind?

Agreed. Vanilla Skyrim can be pretty boring.

After I completed all quests on my first playthrough years ago I came to the conclusion there just isn't a whole lot of content in the game, so after finishing everything once, you've also seen everything. My list of must use mods contained the Immersive addons (creatures, weapons, armors) and Revenge of the Enemies AI Overhaul (the rest I don't remember, but these were musts), which made some things real nuts, but also offered a challenge after reaching lvl 60 and higher. Which I really needed, after all, at the time I knew how to craft 147% Fortify Smithing potions (combined with the armor pieces and jewelry... I think it went over 300% total, you can just imagine how OP I was... Master difficulty was super easy at that point, but Legendary was cheap AF and annoying, as all it does is double everyone else's damage output and health).

Meanwhile, not playing but I've watched a walkthrough of Max Payne total. And unholy shit this game looks fantastic. I'm definitely getting the games when I'll have some spare money.

A rant: I got stuck at a certain part in Skyrim due to a bug so i restarted playing it with the unofficial patch and then just added a few enhancement mods such as a mod to keep track of what books i had read/picked up, lanterns in the streets, better readable signs ect.

I was playing it on XB1 so it was the "Special Edition" and it was my first time playing it so i couldn't no clip or reset the AI to fix 'em so i had to restart. Luckily you can mod that version so i had to "study up" on mod load orders and i added a few things and it ran pretty really good. It was actually my first time playing Skyrim (this was last year too believe it or not) but i sunk about 200+ hrs into it and i played as an Orc haha!

I still am not too fond of Morrowind since i played it on Xbox although i really love the atmosphere & OST. I can't stand the combat and how it's based off of dice rolls or w/e. I had played it on Xbox back in 2003/2004-ish and damn was the load times slow. Stealing things was so much fun though as well as being a vampire (i think that happened to me). The journal was confusing as all hell too. I didn't mind reading things instead of hearing people talk, it was just that keeping track of quests was so damn tedious. Even the Xbox version of the GOTY edition didn't fix that for some reason.

I played Oblivion on my laptop and thought that was pretty fun although i played it years after it came out, probably 2012/2013. Combat was heaps better for me since i'm more into combat/melee then magic anyways and i didn't grow up playing the 90's ones so the way those ones work is rather confusing too me. So the more "casualness" of Oblivion and Skyrim is something that i rather liked, not that Morrowind is bad. I'll probably replay it someday on PC this time with a few "enhancement" mods and i'm sure i'll really like.

New Vegas on XBOXOne since my old 360 save is permanently lost to a dead machine. :(    Oh well, the game is still fun and I get to play with the dlc this time around so it will have some surprises in it for me.   

This is another game I've tried modding for but need to dedicate a year just to figure out the editor (at least it feels that way to me, even after watching the videos).

@CyberDreams Oblivion never really appealed to me, so I don't regret missing the opportunity. Besides, I've heard it's just as crash happy as the original 32-bit version of Skyrim. CTDs are the main reason why I have prevented myself from reinstalling Skyrim as much as I would have liked to replay it recently, but I absolutely cannot stand just how unstable that thing is, especially with mods. That, and mods are always a risk with these games, I had a few save games corrupt after putting dozens of hours in the characters, such as a level 100+ Dunmer.

Morrowind is great, and honestly, it appeals to me more than Skyrim did. Hell, I'm going as far as to say I almost take Dragonborn's Solstheim over the entire base game. I just love the enemies, characters, and amazing atmosphere, it's brilliant. Bethesda did a great job at re-imagining parts of Morrowind in Skyrim. Too bad Skywind is not coming out anytime soon iirc :(.

But there's no need to pretend anything here, the dice combat in Morrowind is shit. It's a great game, but all have their own shortcomings. No game is flawless.

OpenMW (Open Morrowind) is a much better project than Skywind, it aims to open source Morrowind's engine and will allow further possibilities for the game, Skywind is held back by Skyrim's engine limitations and many things unique to Morrowind can't be implemented. Skywind will simply be an inferior version of Morrowind with high graphics.

1 minute ago, Avoozl said:

Open Morrowind is a much better project than Skywind, it aims to open source morrowinds engine and will alow further possibilities, Skywind is held back by Skyrim's engine limitations and many things unqiue to Morrowind can't be implemented. Skywind will simply be an inferior version of Morrowind with high graphics.

On Morrowind's engine? But wasn't it inferior to Skyrim's?