Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

OpenMW is not Morrowind's original engine, it's an open source recreation of it. Of course Skyrim's engine is more advanced than Morrowind's original engine but many things unique to Morrowind weren't present and would need to be hardcoded into the engine in order to work, but that's not happening any time soon since bethesda haven't released Skyrim's source code, this is why I said Skywind would be held back by Skyrim's engine limitations and be an inferior version of Morrowind.

Edited by Avoozl

32 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

haven't released Skyrim's source code

I don't remember any source code release for a TES game, although that would be a very good idea to provide the possibility to fix all the engine bugs.

---

The next release of OpenMW will have shadows and a better navigation system for the NPCs.

Might try OpenMW, as for the roll of dice combat, I can tolerate it, but I use a mod called accurate attack I think
Don't get me started on Dagerfall, just getting it running was a pain in the ass (I'm bad at using DOSbox) but it's combat is just one thing I can't get over...come to think of it, DF was around the Doom era, any source ports for it? (I'd google it but I'm going to bed)

Keep in mind that OpenMW is not done yet but you can still try it out. As for Daggerfall you might be interested in Daggerfall Unity.

OpenMW and Daggerfall Unity are pretty much the only things TES related which I look forward to these days.

Edited by Avoozl

There was a guy making DaggerXL, in the years before Daggerfall Unity, and it looked really promising. I used to post on the old forum.

I'm excited for Tamriel Rebuilt (Morrowind) so, who knows? Maybe by the time TES VI has come out I'll be too busy trying to recreate Morrowind in Daggerfall...

Since beating Call of Duty 3 I've been on a bit of a spree. Aside from my continued racking up of points on Forza Horizon 4, I've also beaten the campaign on Battlefield 3 (PC), Kid Icarus (on the NES Classic Mini), Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection on XBox 360) and beaten the first 3 stages of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (also SMUC), collecting all of the chaos emeralds early on.

Battlefield 3 was just a genuinely good game and a very welcome change from how much I didn't like 2: Modern Combat on the XBox 360. Improved graphics (massively, running everything maxed out at 4k on my PC), better controls and handling (a bit more like CoD) and a much more plot-driven campaign with less unwelcome arcade score attacking.

Kid Icarus is a shining example of why old games aren't fun anymore, as falling off the bottom of the screen on half of the levels kills you despite the fact you just climbed from there, it starts off brutally hard with an under-powered player character and it's only the save states of the NES Classic Mini that even gave me half a chance. In the end, I tried out the "cheat" password from the walk-through I was looking at, which maxed out health and strength (attack power) whilst also equipping all weapons and maxing out all pickups (effectively granting infinite health). This didn't exactly trivialise the game, but addressed some of the issues I had with it, giving me a more modern experience where I could checkpoint myself at certain points of each level and then had a decent fighting chance of making it through the nastier bits. All told, I didn't like the game and didn't mind cheating to beat it. The Eggplant Wizards in the fortresses are frustrating and the game deals way too much damage to the player, making the health system something of a joke. Still, that's 1986. Games were made to steal money from kids through repeated attempts... Even on home consoles.

Dr Robotnik's MBM is a fun falling-blocks (beans, in this case) puzzle game where you match colours in patterns of 4, in competition with an opponent (AI or otherwise), with a really tough campaign. I went through on Easy in the end after Normal turned brutal remarkably quickly. It was still a tough game that had me using save states to checkpoint the start of each new match (rather than relying on what I suspect were limited continues). I liked that the opposing AI personality had an impact on how they played and that their animated portraits reflected how they thought they were doing. The fact that larger matches messed with the other player can get a bit silly, but once you've learned the game a bit you sort of can deal with it.

Sonic 2 is a classic platformer that I'm really enjoying, merely using save states to cut the lives system out of the game for enjoyment purposes. I did also use the save states on the special stages to beat them. I don't think having access to Super Sonic will change much for me as the game gets harder and the rings are more difficult to keep hold of, so I figured I'd overcome the challenge by learning and trial and error to get more out of the game.

As well as continuing on with Sonic 2, I've lined up Battlefield 4 (PC), Galaga (NES classic mini) and Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES classic mini... Also, what a ridiculous name) to take on.

@phobus Nah, old games are the best. The first world of Kid Icarus is very difficult, but if you can get past the first two worlds then you're in the home stretch as the game gets significantly easier and easier the further it progresses. For the most part, I didn't find Sonic 2 terribly difficult, but the final boss kicked my ass and I eventually wound up setting up a save state right before him. Comparatively, the final boss battle in Sonic CD was insultingly easy. 

I'm of two minds about the original Syndicate. On the one hand, the pathfinding sucks, it's uncomplex, the AI is idiotic, the vehicle controls are crippled, certain sections aren't on the vertical plane they appear to be on, and the economy is broken. Technically, I'm playing the game right now as I have the game running in a window, while I sit back and rake in my tax revenue. I'm apparently the most charismatic human being alive because for all the grievances the UK has with the European Union, they're "very happy" with me taxing them for 30% of their entire worth. Buildings obscuring targets is also a huge problem and has often resulted in mission failures beyond my control.

And yet for all its faults, I find myself always wanting to play more of this game, even though a part of me keeps telling myself not to. It's an extremely charming and immersive game and really gives you the feeling that you're operating within a living, interconnected world. For all his present misgivings, Peter Molyneux had some truly brilliant ideas in the 90s, and a lot of the charm and imagination found in Dungeon Keeper can also be found here. I don't know if I'm going to play through the entirety of it or not, but I have for the most part enjoyed my time spent with Syndicate, even though it doesn't actually play very well and is replete with problems. Hail Cobra. 

Edited by Ajora

Dark Souls Remastered. It's p fun, never played the DS series, and decided to give it a whirl before I try Sekiro. I've got a lot to get through (kind of dreading DS2, I hear it's hard just for the sake of it and I'm having enough trouble with DSR). Really enjoying the level design and general atmosphere. I'm in Blight town right now, and even though I don't have the luxury of the original experience (low framerate, etc.) I can see where it gets its reputation. This is the first single player game in years that had me vocal about what's happening in the game, whether it be the excitement of beating a boss or the devastation at losing 10k+ souls. So yeah, sorry about being late to the party, but Dark Souls is good.

Also, I've been playing Overwatch. Haven't played it in about a year or so, so seeing all the new characters is pretty cool. I like Ashe, because she has a pretty versatile move set and a high dps output. Casually playing this game really reminds me of playing TF2 back when I was in high school. You hop on a PUB with a friend or two and just fuck around. I'm a big fan of games where you can just turn your brain off and casually play while listening to podcasts or talking with someone. Haven't tried competitive, it just doesn't interest me whatsoever. The art is probably one of the biggest selling points, it's a great looking game with vibrant colors. Great game to wind down with after work.

@Ajora It's that lack of a traditional difficulty curve that makes Kid Icarus a bad game IMO. I agree with you on Sonic 2 - having no rings for Metal Sonic and the Robotnik Mech makes those two fights pretty tough. I would argue that the level before was also pretty hard and, without save states, collecting the chaos emeralds would be very tough. Still, with save states and perseverance, the game is very possible to complete, and I wouldn't need them just to beat the game, I reckon.

I've beaten the high score of 30000 on Galaga, amusingly subtitled "Demons of Death" in America. Only took me about 6 attempts over half an hour to get there. Pretty simplistic, but a good mechanic that is enjoyable enough. I think my next NES Classic game will be Punch-Out!!! Starring Mr. Dream. No Mike Tyson for me...

My girlfriend has encouraged me to get in on her PS4 collection too, so that's another 8 games or so on my list. I'm starting with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, as I only recently beat CoD3. It's harder than I remembered, but looks incredible and is the modern classic I was expecting, so that's cool.

DOOM '16 'no upgrade' run on UV. Mostly. I rounded armor off at 100 because 50 bothers me, and the first player upgrade is mandatory to finish the second level. Otherwise no weapon mods / alt-fires, no health or ammo boosts, no rune enhancements, as close to the 'vanilla' game as possible. It's pretty damn fun actually, just reached the first Hell level. So far not too challenging, but some much needed additional tension, and an increased risk of failures if playing carelessly. Ammo is limited with the default values, which I like.

E: Also using centered weapons, for that nostalgic vibe. I also shun glory kills, so I just blast enemies to pieces. The chainsaw is fine, though, same with the berserk and any other power ups for that matter.

This last days I played to X-piratez, a total conversion mod of UFO enemy unknown which can only works with Openxcom, an enhanced source port.
Currently I pass the first four months of the game and the last mission was a real pain in the ass because of a assault rifle dude, the last standing ennemy of the mission, before, the other enemies has been dazed and deprived of their weapons.

Firstly it was impossible for my pirates mutant soldiers to get closer of him without pass away so the best solution was to wait until he wasted all this ammo.
After the duck shot session my soldiers were able to get closer of him, the revenge was close but after several dozens hits of baseball bat agaisnt him, he was still standing, so I understood he was resistant to daze dommage like the necropirates I met in one of the previous mission, fortunately after the necropirates meeting I equipped all my soldiers of daggers in their inventory.
Finally one of my soldiers stabbed him with one hit of dagger and he instantly died, end of the mission.

I'm still playing through that Enderal TC for Skyrim since it appeared on Steam. It's pretty decent but I think I'm finding the whole arcane fever thing to be a bit annoying. I guess it's supposed to stem your overuse of potions and magic but I find I'm using the magic I want to use anyways and just have this silly fever mechanic to deal with. Good thing my Rockjoint doesn't keep getting worse when fighting all these wolves. I'd hate to have to drink a pile of cure disease potions to keep it down.. haha. Other than that it's pretty fun, but the game could use more mod compatibility. I'd actually be tempted to design a few locations for it but can't be arsed to go through the agony of setting up the editing tools for it.

Hexen, now that a new version of GZDoom with a much-needed hardware gamma fix got released.

And I'm enjoying it, reached the swamp portion again, now it's time to beat it. I'm playing as a Fighter this time around since those centaurs were quite annoying when I was a Cleric.

28 minutes ago, seed said:

Hexen, now that a new version of GZDoom with a much-needed hardware gamma fix got released.

And I'm enjoying it, reached the swamp portion again, now it's time to beat it. I'm playing as a Fighter this time around since those centaurs were quite annoying when I was a Cleric.

So u already started playing it. Nice.

Also I recommend to save scum at hub 4. It has potentially gamebreaking bug near the end of that hub(boss fight area) in the Gibbet map. To avoid the bug, you will have to keep 3 Chaos Serpents alive in the throne room.

For skills 1, 2, and 3, you just need to wait a few seconds after the 3 Chaos Serpents appear (don't kill any though) before the doors open. For skills 4 and 5, 4 Chaos Serpents appear instead of 3, so you'll need to kill one AND ONLY ONE if the doors are to open.

31 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

So u already started playing it. Nice.

Also I recommend to save scum at hub 4. It has potentially gamebreaking bug near the end of that hub(boss fight area) in the Gibbet map. To avoid the bug, you will have to keep 3 Chaos Serpents alive in the throne room.

For skills 1, 2, and 3, you just need to wait a few seconds after the 3 Chaos Serpents appear (don't kill any though) before the doors open. For skills 4 and 5, 4 Chaos Serpents appear instead of 3, so you'll need to kill one AND ONLY ONE if the doors are to open.

Yeah, since Adonis is done I thought it was good to change some things and play something else before moving on with more Doom stuff, and now that 4.0.0 is out, that something else is Hexen.

I did see some mentions of that glitch, noted for when I get there.

Finished Sekiro today, now starting Yakuza 0.  A co-worker wanted me to try it and I've never played one before so we'll see how that goes.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:07 PM, Egg Boy said:

Dark Souls Remastered. It's p fun, never played the DS series, and decided to give it a whirl before I try Sekiro. I've got a lot to get through (kind of dreading DS2, I hear it's hard just for the sake of it and I'm having enough trouble with DSR). Really enjoying the level design and general atmosphere. I'm in Blight town right now, and even though I don't have the luxury of the original experience (low framerate, etc.) I can see where it gets its reputation. This is the first single player game in years that had me vocal about what's happening in the game, whether it be the excitement of beating a boss or the devastation at losing 10k+ souls. So yeah, sorry about being late to the party, but Dark Souls is good.

DS1 is great until you reach Lost Izalith, and some parts of the Tomb of the Giants is incredibly frustrating. The Great Hollow can fuck right off too.

If you ever get the chance, play Demon's Souls. If you think DaS1 is difficult, Demon's Souls is on a whole other level. I'm cringing at the thought of going through the Valley of Defilement or Stonefang Tunnel again. It's a fantastic game though, with a lot of cool ideas for its time (facing the Old Monk, who was actually controlled by another person online), the world tendency system, and the Nexus central hub. The former two aren't the same now unfortunately since the servers for Demon's Souls are gone, but it's still worth a play.

3 hours ago, R4L said:

DS1 is great until you reach Lost Izalith, and some parts of the Tomb of the Giants is incredibly frustrating. The Great Hollow can fuck right off too.

If you ever get the chance, play Demon's Souls. If you think DaS1 is difficult, Demon's Souls is on a whole other level. I'm cringing at the thought of going through the Valley of Defilement or Stonefang Tunnel again. It's a fantastic game though, with a lot of cool ideas for its time (facing the Old Monk, who was actually controlled by another person online), the world tendency system, and the Nexus central hub. The former two aren't the same now unfortunately since the servers for Demon's Souls are gone, but it's still worth a play.

Right now I'm at the Smough and Ornstein fight, I've been playing without the online functionality, but for this fight, I summoned Solaire the first time I fought them and got to the second phase first try. I'm not usually the type for hard games but something about DS1 is really immersive and I get excited every time I beat a boss. I can only play about 3 or 4 hours a day before I get frustrated, after that point it just stops being fun. But other than that, I've been having a blast. I do have a ps3, so I could play Demon's Souls and I'll definitely consider it once I beat the Dark Souls games.

1 minute ago, Egg Boy said:

Right now I'm at the Smough and Ornstein fight, I've been playing without the online functionality, but for this fight, I summoned Solaire the first time I fought them and got to the second phase first try. I'm not usually the type for hard games but something about DS1 is really immersive and I get excited every time I beat a boss. I can only play about 3 or 4 hours a day before I get frustrated, after that point it just stops being fun. But other than that, I've been having a blast. I do have a ps3, so I could play Demon's Souls and I'll definitely consider it once I beat the Dark Souls games.

Haha same. You have all the DLC for DaS1? Smough and Ornstein are tough, but the Four Kings are way worse... I was a pure dex build my first playthrough, and it took me a long time to beat them.

3 minutes ago, R4L said:

Haha same. You have all the DLC for DaS1? Smough and Ornstein are tough, but the Four Kings are way worse... I was a pure dex build my first playthrough, and it took me a long time to beat them.

Remastered has all the DLC right?

I did it! I fucking did it! I beat Ornstein and Smough (Solaire was there to, but don't tell anyone).

CoD: MW Remastered is still pending (I've apparently only beaten the prologue and act one...), as are Battlefield 4, Punch-Out!!!, Shining in the Darkness and Street Fighter 2. I've just beaten the XBLA version of Banjo-Kazooie, getting 100% collectables (including Shop(Stop?) 'n' Swop), which was pretty heavy going by the end, but a nice trip down N64 memory lane. I've made a slight start on Banjo-Tooie, just to get save data in to allow the collection of the extra items in the previous game.

My girlfriend and I were introduced to the Overcooked! games by my brother and his wife over the weekend, so we bought those on PS4 and have beaten the main campaign in the first one before bogging down in the free "The Festive Seasoning" DLC. Very frantic game that one and the first I've done a full-length, day-long co-op session through in a long time. I'm hoping we do the sequel and any other DLC in shorter goes, as the button-mashing didn't feel good for me at all.

I intend to make a start of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition soon, as that's the only game I've paid for this year and not played already.

Cities Skylines, just as I started to get an understanding of it, my population was halved by a sewage tsunami, illness, and and a distinct lack of services to remove the dead...
I think I might not be well suited to urban planning.

Still Hexen, nearing the end now.

And I still think it's a brilliant game that's pretty underrated, quite ambitious, atmospheric, and well crafted I dare say, but I do get why other people hate it. Sure it does have some problems, such as the first boss who was... strange, and the way you could cheap that battle is... I'm glad I chose otherwise.

It actually gets less confusing later on, my biggest problem was with the second hub (not surprising since that's where I dropped the game the first time), and particularly Caves of Circe. Difficult to find your way through it, someone must have cranked the dungeon crawling to 11 in that area (and hub), so I wasted some time there.

Thanks for the walkthrough videos @42PercentHealth :D.

I set up Quake III: Arena the other day and was playing it. I set it up without a source port since i didn't feel like doing all that work (yeah i'm lazy). I just ran it in 4:3 so i didn't have to go into the .cfg file and adjust the FOV or screen height/width to 1920x1080. It seems to run just fine. I forgot how much of a twitch type shooter it is and it really makes me tense up while playing it (it's really fun though). So it tends to make the muscles in my neck hurt too much so i can only play it in spurts unfortunately.

I might just install Quake and/or Quake II and get those working, probably with source ports though for these ones. I find single player games to be less stressful to play for some reason. Since there is no multi-player with bots that i know of in the original Quake, unless you added them in via a mod of course, i should be just fine. 

I have the GOG versions of all of these games as i bought them some years ago so i'm just using those :) Also as always i'm still playing multiple Doom WAD's as that seems to be the only thing that i can concentrate on lately (and that's barely concentrate on certain days).

Edited by CyberDreams

Finished Hexen and now moved on to Deathkings.

So, not much else to add to the previous post, but now at least I can have a full opinion on the game. And it's the same, I think it's a fantastic game, but it has a few problems. It could use more enemy types since later on the Centaurs are encountered in noticeably larger numbers and they can get a bit irritating, in addition to one or two more weapons per class, although the fact that there's plenty of items you can use to kill enemies doesn't make it too big an issue from my POV. It could also use one more boss as the Heresiarch is used twice for some reason, and the second to last hub has a few unintuitive puzzles. Don't see other problems, and I definitely don't think it's rushed, unpolished, or anything like that, quite the contrary actually. But, as I already said, I perfectly understand why others don't like it, and it's certainly not for everyone.

Deathkings seems to be the Plutonia equivalent of Hexen. One can tell from the very beginning that its much more difficult and challenging than the original game, so it's probably going to be quite the ride.