Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

I've been playing Forsaken Remastered mostly, which is I have to say a very fun, but very challenging game. Still more reasonable than the Descent games. 

Recently picked up Terraria after along break. Along with that I tried using Terraria mods and am playing the "Calamity" Mod. It adds around 2000 new items and 30 new bosses so it adds a lot. Am having a lot of fun with it and I would recommend.

I've been playing Sacred 2 Gold and The Witcher III. I never did finish either game and it's been 2 years since I played them. Since I just finished Prey, I've been trying to stick with what I'm playing and see if I can't get more games finished, rather than giving up and playing something else.

Max Payne 2.

The original was amazing, although the way you're supposed to take down the chopper was a bit unintuitive imo (didn't expect to need to shoot the tower). I think it aged great.

MP2 seems to be even more grim and noir than the first, which is awesome, although bullet time isn't as spectacular, and Max appears to have a specific reload animation that always triggers when using it. But it's still just as satisfying as the first.

A few. I am, right now, focusing on the Mass Effect games (NOT Andromeda, at least yet). I am also playing a little bit of Modern Warfare and Black Mesa.

I'm trying to do a solo run on Terraria and beat the game for the first time. I have a problem picking up a game and completely forgetting about it and I really hope I can play for longer than 2 weeks.

Aside from replaying FF9 and playing River City Girls, I started playing through BroForce after buying it during the current Steam sale. Fun time-waster of a game with nonstop explosions and blood and guns. Also surprisingly tough too.

Still playing Postal 2 and various mods. And playing Postal 4 trying to figure out ways to break the game. It's pretty impressive how responsive Running With Scissors is when bug reports are made, usually they get fixed by the next update.

I really do need to finish Farcry 5 though. I'm at the point where I've put enough effort into it that I want to finish it, but it's just not that fun. Virtually every weapon in the game functions exactly the same (all the rifles are the same, all the machineguns are the same, all the submachine guns are the same, all the pistols are the same), and I'm just killing the same people over and over. The story is boring as hell, aside from a few side characters that actually have personalities. I had the same problem with Farcry 4, so I'm not sure why I bought 5, besides the fact that it was on sale. But again, I've put enough time into it that I would like to see it through. I just wish it wasn't so damn boring; plus I could use the space on my SSD.

Just finished Super Mario Sunshine with 75 Shine Sprites. Definitely my favorite 3D Mario, lots of distinctive levels and the moveset for Mario is so fun to use. FLUDD also adds a new layer to the platforming which is a welcome change.

Just finished Amid Evil on hard. I really ended up enjoying it a lot more than when I first started. I was worried that the platforming sections in later levels would drive me nuts but running this game around 100 fps about 90% of the time feels great, the movement is just so fast and precise. The platforming was actually fun and in my opinion the game just keeps getting better with each new area. Every new section has it's own aesthetic and I was really surprised with how gorgeous some of these areas are, with some really nice lighting that just sets a mood. Also, I wasn't expecting the music to be as good as it is.

This game has left a lasting impression on me. After finishing it, I kind of just want to play more but I still haven't beat DUSK or the new WRATH early access build. I did just buy Outward on sale and looking forward to that, but I think I'm still craving more fast pace shooter goodness.

What a great year 2019 has been with the resurgence of these old school shooters. Ion Fury, Amid Evil, Dusk and Hedon (honorable mention to 2018's Project Warlock as well, recently completed that). I'm 38 and reliving the 90s and early 2000s with a shit-eating grin on my face. This is how I will spend my midlife crisis!

5 hours ago, Jello said:

Still playing Postal 2 and various mods. And playing Postal 4 trying to figure out ways to break the game. It's pretty impressive how responsive Running With Scissors is when bug reports are made, usually they get fixed by the next update.

I really do need to finish Farcry 5 though. I'm at the point where I've put enough effort into it that I want to finish it, but it's just not that fun. Virtually every weapon in the game functions exactly the same (all the rifles are the same, all the machineguns are the same, all the submachine guns are the same, all the pistols are the same), and I'm just killing the same people over and over. The story is boring as hell, aside from a few side characters that actually have personalities. I had the same problem with Farcry 4, so I'm not sure why I bought 5, besides the fact that it was on sale. But again, I've put enough time into it that I would like to see it through. I just wish it wasn't so damn boring; plus I could use the space on my SSD.

I'm right there with you on your Farcry 5 impressions. I had to force myself to finish it too and I actually enjoyed 4 more than 3, so I went in with pretty high expectations. But yea, the guns just don't feel good. I'm not a fan of the movement either. The mantling especially sucks, forcing the camera downward, it's just way too excessive with its animation.

7 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

Aside from replaying FF9 and playing River City Girls, I started playing through BroForce after buying it during the current Steam sale. Fun time-waster of a game with nonstop explosions and blood and guns. Also surprisingly tough too.

IX is my favorite of the PS1 era FF games! I hope you are using this mod if playing on PC: https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/

It makes a huge difference. The pre-rendered backgrounds are beautiful, they look like oil paintings.

I got off to a pretty decent start with my "Beat 100 games/DLC" goal yesterday, managing about 5 minutes of Ghosts 'n' Goblins game play progress in half an hour of save scumming and trial and error on the NES Classic Mini. It's a horrendous game, so when it gave me the old "not a true ending! Play through again, but on a higher difficulty!" routine (in a hard game with no settable difficulty settings), I just ticked it off my list. The SNES Classic Mini iteration got me with that shit, but that console has rewind and save states!

I then used save states in place of the lives system to get to level 81 (of 100) on Bubble Bobble (again, NES Classic Mini). The ability to bounce on bubbles is incredibly unintuitive and seemingly unreliable even when you know what you're doing, but you're not getting past level 35 (JUMP!) without it! Good thing we have the internet these days, as we don't have instruction manuals. I bogged down where I did because levels are increasingly expecting me to climb bubbles off the top of the screen to wrap around to the bottom, but also try and move precisely horizontally (to avoid enemies and vertically fired projectiles) whilst I'm at it. I suspect it'll take some serious save scumming as we get nearer to the end.

Oh, and a few hours of NES controller time was making my thumb hurt.

10 hours ago, Yourfacedotcom said:

What a great year 2019 has been with the resurgence of these old school shooters. Ion Fury, Amid Evil, Dusk and Hedon (honorable mention to 2018's Project Warlock as well, recently completed that). I'm 38 and reliving the 90s and early 2000s with a shit-eating grin on my face. This is how I will spend my midlife crisis!

Way ahead of you, man

games.jpg.8ef93ecb54d147efbf54e934e7ce855b.jpg

Edited by hybridial

Duke Nukem Forever on Xbox 360.

The game never was mean't for those consoles and it highlights how the Duke Engine rarely accounts for it (Multithreading wise).

Speaking of Duke Engine, one can instantly tell its UE1 based whenever you fire a rocket and debris or gibs are to be expected. I recall from earlier UE1 games that at times when lots of detailed geometry were involved, the engine would ''stall'' in terms. This was especially apparent with Unreal Tourney levels that were either excessively detailed or poorly made - The engine can't keep up, and for good reason.

This same ''bug'' (It really isn't a bug anyway) is also present in DNF. Whether this is correct or not, but that's how i would know its an UE1 based game, because going over to UE2 (Not Postal 2's Warfare build), that problem was fixed.

Regarding the game itself, its okay. Its hardly a Duke game tho, more like Edgy Teen writes a Game, the Game.

Given the recent ''new'' footage of DNF 2001, its clear we missed out on a brilliant game, and instead got this ok-burger.

6 hours ago, Phobus said:

I got off to a pretty decent start with my "Beat 100 games/DLC" goal yesterday, managing about 5 minutes of Ghosts 'n' Goblins game play progress in half an hour of save scumming and trial and error on the NES Classic Mini. It's a horrendous game, so when it gave me the old "not a true ending! Play through again, but on a higher difficulty!" routine (in a hard game with no settable difficulty settings), I just ticked it off my list. The SNES Classic Mini iteration got me with that shit, but that console has rewind and save states!

I then used save states in place of the lives system to get to level 81 (of 100) on Bubble Bobble (again, NES Classic Mini). The ability to bounce on bubbles is incredibly unintuitive and seemingly unreliable even when you know what you're doing, but you're not getting past level 35 (JUMP!) without it! Good thing we have the internet these days, as we don't have instruction manuals. I bogged down where I did because levels are increasingly expecting me to climb bubbles off the top of the screen to wrap around to the bottom, but also try and move precisely horizontally (to avoid enemies and vertically fired projectiles) whilst I'm at it. I suspect it'll take some serious save scumming as we get nearer to the end.

Oh, and a few hours of NES controller time was making my thumb hurt.

When it comes to Bubble Bobble, you're much better off playing it in its original arcade form via MAME.

28 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Duke Nukem Forever on Xbox 360.

The game never was mean't for those consoles and it highlights how the Duke Engine rarely accounts for it (Multithreading wise).

Yeah I think the state of the console versions were the reason some reviews of the game were really, really bad.I only played the PC version and so I didn't really get some of the like 3/10 scores until I figured the console versions are likely a rushed mess. The PC version is just a mediocre game but it worked at least. 

And when you look at it like that, if Gearbox had really cared, the console ports would have came later so they could do a better job of them. It seems to me at some point they just decided to rush out the ports banking on notoriety instead of trying to give the series the care it deserved. 

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Its hardly a Duke game tho, more like Edgy Teen writes a Game, the Game.

That sounds like the definition of a "Duke game" to me, at least if you forget the first two sidescrollers like everyone does.

Eh I'd say Duke Nukem 3D was very nod nod wink wink about it, I'd liken it to Commando, a movie which I love because it knows exactly how dumb it is. Duke Nukem Forever felt like they didn't get that memo at all. 

On 1/2/2020 at 4:07 PM, hybridial said:

And when you look at it like that, if Gearbox had really cared, the console ports would have came later so they could do a better job of them. It seems to me at some point they just decided to rush out the ports banking on notoriety instead of trying to give the series the care it deserved. 

There are limits to this. DNF had such a troubled development and wasted so much funds they could not delay it any further under any circumstances. After over 10 years they had to ship something, whatever that was, and so we got, what we got. When you're in such a troubled situation, caring about the quality of the product doesn't really matter anymore. It must be shipped, it's imperative.

DNF was a game that was dated from all POVs when it came out. Dated graphics, humour, poor writing, clunky combat, crappy vehicle physics, etc. If it came out earlier than it did it would've probably been a bit better received, but it would've probably aged quite poorly anyway.

Edited by seed

@seed One aspect about DNF that really creeped me out was how everyone in that universe that wasn't evil worshipped Duke Nukem as a god and didn't have any personality traits other than being obsessed with Duke Nukem. Duke Nukem was also capable to the point where he was the greatest in the world at everything he ever attempted on his first try. Yahtzee and Gabe talked a bit about this on their livestream of the game and described it as a sort of ego hell. A life that has absolutely no sense of challenge and therefore no reward is one I find rather depressing to think about. 

50 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Yeah I think the state of the console versions were the reason some reviews of the game were really, really bad.I only played the PC version and so I didn't really get some of the like 3/10 scores until I figured the console versions are likely a rushed mess. The PC version is just a mediocre game but it worked at least. 

Former 3DR staff created a new studio just to finish up the game. At the very least GB gets some merit for providing funding.

Unfortunately GB also had (And still has) Randy Pitchford, normally i am not down for openly criticizing a member of the industry but Pitchford really makes easy for himself to dislike him as a figure. When i read that by providing funding, he was going to ''save the Duke in his time of need'', little did i know how far reaching that statement was, to the point where he effectively cocked up any release of DNF 2001 over ''QA testing'' excuses.

The more reasonable response is that DNF 2001, judging from what is seen and what works, is a superior product to DNF 2011. A Duke that shares certain Deus Ex mechanics and actually looks a bit more serious than the try-hardfest that was DNF 2011? Well... letsbePitchfordaboutit.jpg

15 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

That sounds like the definition of a "Duke game" to me, at least if you forget the first two sidescrollers like everyone does.

Not the good kind of edgy. Duke Nukem 3D was a product of the 90's and as such, its jokes and universe are written as such.

DNF tried to mimic that same universe but using low quality jokes of the 2010's. Combine that with Duke still trying to be like how he was in Duke 3D and there is no surprise people considered Duke in Forever to be Douche Nukem. Because that's what he was. A douche.

9 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Eh I'd say Duke Nukem 3D was very nod nod wink wink about it, I'd liken it to Commando, a movie which I love because it knows exactly how dumb it is. Duke Nukem Forever felt like they didn't get that memo at all. 

Precisely. Duke 3D is more comparable to a 90's Arnold Schwarzenegger flick, whilst DNF 2011 is more comparable to Jack & Jill from Adam Sandler.

4 hours ago, hybridial said:

Way ahead of you, man

games.jpg.8ef93ecb54d147efbf54e934e7ce855b.jpg

Love Blazing Chrome. I still need to get Xenocrisis and Valfaris.

EDIT: Oh and Overload as well! Its just under 10 bucks on Steam at the moment. Getting it now.

Edited by Yourfacedotcom : Overload hype.

I'm kind of in a gaming limbo at the moment. I was quite close to the end of Avadon 2, but my motivation for that just dropped like a rock.

Now I'm thinking about a bunch of different games, but I'm finding a hard time getting into any of them. I've been trying to play Rollercoaster Tycoon again. I want to learn Age of Empires 2. I also want to learn to play Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I'm not sure what I will end up playing next to waste away my life.

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

@seed One aspect about DNF that really creeped me out was how everyone in that universe that wasn't evil worshipped Duke Nukem as a god and didn't have any personality traits other than being obsessed with Duke Nukem. Duke Nukem was also capable to the point where he was the greatest in the world at everything he ever attempted on his first try. Yahtzee and Gabe talked a bit about this on their livestream of the game and described it as a sort of ego hell. A life that has absolutely no sense of challenge and therefore no reward is one I find rather depressing to think about. 

Indeed, a life like that would be just boring and... empty. Impossible to feel any sense of accomplishment and satisfaction if there's no real reward and payoff.

But I dunno, that would at least be better than my current situation, because it's literally the opposite end of the spectrum: achieving everything & being good at everything vs achieving nothing & being bad at everything.

A game that took me over twenty years to finish....PO'ED !!! Who else knows about this crazy game? Hitting ass-on-legs with a frying pan...

I first bought it either '96 or '97, but definitely before the release of Resident Evil 2. That game laid a curse on me. Every damn copy that I got- there were three of them- was invisibly damaged, scratched or once even stolen by some shithead. I would never see the end of that weird game due to told reasons. Until today. I found a used copy of it in a pawn shop last week and I finally finished this piece of shit today. 

Playing this game after all those years felt like a virtual torture though. I'm glad it's over, haha ! 

a couple of Screenshots from the web:

ff.png

2 hours ago, 4everDoomed said:

A game that took me over twenty years to finish....PO'ED !!! Who else knows about this crazy game? Hitting ass-on-legs with a frying pan...

I first bought it either '96 or '97, but definitely before the release of Resident Evil 2. That game laid a curse on me. Every damn copy that I got- there were three of them- was invisibly damaged, scratched or once even stolen by some shithead. I would never see the end of that weird game due to told reasons. Until today. I found a used copy of it in a pawn shop last week and I finally finished this piece of shit today. 

Playing this game after all those years felt like a virtual torture though. I'm glad it's over, haha ! 

This is one game i still want to get for my PSX, but the 3DO original is hugely impressive too on a technical level. Its a full 3D engine, texture mapped and all, and even with reflections, on a 3DO in 1995. Pretty epic stuff. And the story is even better, just the right kind of ''Get high on your own supply'' magic.

More games should be like this.

Finished the Wrath early access build. Lots of fun! Looking forward to full release hopefully later this year.

I should probably finish Witcher 3, and I reallly want to get back to Dusk but now I'm the mood to start Dragon Quest 9. Dilemma of choice!

I suppose I can do DQ9 with playing Dusk on the side to mix things up.

DOOM 2016 for the first time (technically since I only played the Xbox One version years ago and only played until MAP03) and frick, is it rad!

That's a sign that I need to stop living my life in the 90s' and be in the modern times more