Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Currently playing Going Under, a nice action-roguelite about failed startups. It unfortunately came out as the same time as Hades and was completely forgotten because of it :/

Beat Halo 5: Guardians on Heroic* last night. Massive cliff-hanger ending, but I know why the next game is called Halo: Infinite now, at least. 5 is quite a different beast from even 4, and I think that's more down to the inclusion of four-member squads as protagonists, where you can actually direct your squad mates and help each other up when "your armour jams" (although leaving your buddies to die means they'll just come back out of nowhere at some point), rather than just playing as the Chief (or other protagonists) with occasional help. Movement-wise, you've got a dedicated dash button and rapid mantling, plus a ground-pound and other sprinting/dashing melee attacks, making the Spartans you play as feel quite similar to the Doom Slayer in Doom 2016 (a year later than this came out...), although with a two-weapon limit and regenerating shields and health.

Visually I'd say it wasn't a huge step up over 4 (although the Promethean Knights and Forerunner weapons were stylistically distinct from before), but things seemed clearer playing on the same console and TV in some way. Having all of the "Intel" logs to find in each map was a bit of a chore, though, so I only got about 60-70% total, and only found one skull of the thirteen. I'm unlikely to replay it any time soon, so that's no big deal.

*My preferred first play-through difficulty for Halo, as deaths aren't particularly frequent, but the difficulty demands a bit of skill/cover seeking to keep it that way.

Still got Forza Horizon 2 underway (54/168 car championships down, I think), and I'll resume my play of either Final Fantasy (NES Classic Mini) or Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4) next.

Been getting back into Diablo 2 again, such a fun game I keep losing myself in.
Trying to get summon build druid going and there are points where I think I'm doing good and the game takes the time to remind me, that I'm not ready for an are further along.

My Summer Car has been an absolute blast, very fun game that I'm about to start a new save in since I lost the sewage truck to the lake, always remember to turn on the parking brake.

I found out about 2 Doom-like sprite based FPS games, Rebel Moon from 1995 and its sequel Rebel Moon Rising from 1997, Rebel Moon Rising in particular gives me Doom 64 and Quake 2 64 vibes due to its use of coloured lighting, prerendered 3D sprites and ambient and techno music in levels. I'm really liking the latter so far. I don't know how I haven't heard of these games before now but I really am enjoying playing the second game.

rmr1.jpg

rmr2.jpg

D U K E

N U K E M

077.jpeg

It's weird, I've always been a casual fan of the character for his memelord status, but I never really tried any of his games. We actually owned Time to Kill for the PS1 but my parents never let me play it (you can guess why). I was always kinda put off by the game's crass sense of humor, and the gameplay looked to me like just Doom with a somewhat weaker enemy roster. So I never really had the motivation to give it a shot.

But I recently started playing a Duke Nukem knockoff character in my latest DnD campaign so I figured I should at least try to play through the game (sadly I'm using the cursed randy version tho). 4 levels in, and I gotta say... it's not bad. I do prefer the Build engine's snappier movement physics, and all the guns feel really good to use. Also I will endlessly appreciate having a quick melee option, even if it actually feels weaker than Doom's fist.

I'll get a little further in and then edit this post on how I feel later. I have two concerns at the moment:

1- I'm hoping the level progression doesn't start to feel overly obtuse. It's been okay up to this point, except for the water level, but then again it's also a water level.

2- I'm worried I'll just start to feel like I'd rather be playing Doom. That's actually the reason I have a hard time getting into Quake, it ironically feels like a more primitive Doom despite clearly being a design evolution of it.

Playing a few games right now.

First, Cave Story: my friend really wanted me to finish this one ever since I started back in late 2018, but I've only just recently gotten around to it. It's cute and fun. Music is pretty good, too, but it's nothing too special if you ask me. There are points that I think are a little too frustrating for my own liking. The bosses are especially mean to me sometimes. Maybe I'm just bad? No, no, of course not... Blame the game, I'm not lackluster, it's the game! But yeah, I was convinced because my friend was like "play Cave Story and I'll play Super Metroid that you keep telling me to play" so hopefully she gets around to that soon.

Persona 5 Strikers: continuation of the Persona 5 story, which I enjoyed. It's alright so far, I feel like I'm totally spaghetti at the gameplay, but I still have fun with it. The characters are fun as always. Music is fantastic, as expected from Persona. Overall, not bad, but I actually haven't even gotten that far into it yet. Oopsies.

Minecraft: this game is fun.

Of course, I've also been playing a lot a lot a lot of classic Doom lately. I've recently finished Alien Vendetta, map 25 was a personally favorite of mine for how terrible it made me feel, but in a really magical way that I enjoyed. I'm currently playing through Going Down, and geez these maps are brutal actually. I played up to map 11 the other day and I just died so so much, it was actually insane. It's pretty fun though, the really weird ass music gives it a nice touch. I've also been loading up miscellaneous maps to record and upload to my youtube channel, mostly for my own amusement, but I do share them with some people because I think it's cool to share.

Most important of all is The Ancient Gods Part 2 tomorrow, super looking forward to that one!

On 3/16/2021 at 12:43 AM, HQDefault said:

D U K E

N U K E M

077.jpeg

-Snip-

I'll get a little further in and then edit this post on how I feel later. 

-Snip-

Yeah, I'm continuing to enjoy it.

The base combat loop continues to satisfy me, although I still think the enemy roster isn't as good as Doom. The confusing level design does become an issue every now and again, but the game also has a built-in level select, so if something's really pissing me off I can just skip it.

As of yesterday, Rage 2.

Edit to add: also, my wife and I are playing Syberia together.

Edited by Capellan

5 hours ago, Capellan said:

Edit to add: also, my wife and I are playing Syberia together.

I've got the entire Syberia series at discounts (or for free), but never played one yet (such is my first world problem of having more games, mostly free at this point, than time to play them). Any pitfalls I should be aware of for when I finally get round to it?

As for me? Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part Two. Beat the first level on UV last night and marvelled at the heat my PC was chucking out. I think adding a water cooler to the CPU has helped it stay cool, but reconfiguring the fans and case to suck air in through the top and vent from the rear and (predominantly) the front seems to be adding to the heat my GPU experiences (as opposed to the old method, which heated the CPU more). An intense two-hour session with a middling ambient room temperature lead to no performance issues or throttling on the optimum 4k settings for my setup, however, and I'm not convinced I've got it in me to beat two levels in one sitting, so this should do nicely.

I am tempted to try reversing the exhaust fan, so rather than venting some of the warm air from below the water cooler radiator, it's pulling in more cold air to be blown down by those fans to the GPU. I feel like pulling heat out from near the radiator might still be working better, though.

12 hours ago, Phobus said:

I've got the entire Syberia series at discounts (or for free), but never played one yet (such is my first world problem of having more games, mostly free at this point, than time to play them). Any pitfalls I should be aware of for when I finally get round to it?

Just the usual old school graphic adventure things: some measure of pixel-bitching, plenty of obscure puzzles without clear expectations, etc.  It has definitely been helpful to have two sets of eyes to say "hey, is that something we can click on?"

So I recently went all in on Retroarch, going through it with a fine tooth comb and setting everything up exactly how I want it it needs to be to be playable. Thing is, it had been an absolute age since I checked out the N64 emulation which has, outside of Mario and Zelda, been slightly below dog shit.

Damn, it only took a couple of tweaks to get BOTH QUAKES running almost flawlessly. Almost. There was a time when it came down to a choice between being able to see through walls or having the game crash as soon as you went underwater, but my joy at seeing both of these games be fully playable outside of my dusty old CRT was a revelation. I'm already on my third run of Q264 and all I have to deal with are a few rogue pixels here and there. Shit's come on leaps and bounds since I last checked, even if it still isn't perfect.

Now, if only something can be done about that pesky OG Xbox...

Spoiler

20210320192632_1.jpg.5c3f40c88b386dff13e523e8e80349d1.jpg

For the last week or so, I was locked in an endless war between me as Balthasar Gelt of the Golden Order and the orks of Grimgor's 'Ardboys and finally at turn 182 did the Orks finally die, after a long effort of rooting them out of the mountains, fighting them in distant lands using vassals (particularly the Dwarves, love those helpful guys) and stalemating in the desert, they finally died as their last army, no more than 40 orks, charged into artillery.

We were stuck in the outer lands losing army after army against eachother, thousands and thousands of men and orks alike have died trading blows in the mountain passes and the arid deserts, it took a complete rethinking of battle strategy and unit composition to finally gain ground, only then did I finally take out the ork hordes from the eastern border and finally push deep south, at the start of the war, me and the orks were the two world superpowers, we controlled the most land and had the best armies so it took forever to kill eachother.

Loved it though, had a lot of fun, now I just need to move my forces back, take the last few missing sections of the Empire from the Wood elves (who I tricked into fighting Chaos for me) and then I'm golden. Might play High Elves or Dark Elves next, Warhammer 2 is great I recommend it.

Playing NBlood for the first time. Don't know how it compares to all the other ports, but it seems pretty damn good so far.

Doom 3. Haven't played it since it 2004. So the BFG version was on sale on Steam so I bought it. I primarily just wanted to take some screenshots because of designing a map using the Doom 3 textures and wanted some ideas. Anyhow, my map is done and I'm still playing through it.

Been cycling between doom and Morrowind (Skyrim negative 2) these days since a friend gifted me Morrowind, which is nice because before that I was playing Daggerfall (Skyrim negative 3) and it's a nice game but definitely nice to play a newer game, well 2002 is new-ish.

I've been playing Tekken 6 for a few days now and I'm learning how to play Kazuya. Playing the game now, I don't remember the AI being very challenging to fight against even on Easy. I lost a ton of times against my opponents especially Jin in Arcade Mode, his AI doesn't fuck around at all. I also beat Nancy (Arcade bonus boss) yesterday, I never thought I'd be able to beat it at all but I did.

I'm gonna continue playing this game and eventually move to Tekken 7 once I have the money to buy it (I once bought Fallout 4 over it, big mistake).

Would you believe it's still Forza Horizon 2? 60 more car championships to go and I'm done with the game, though. I'm also trying to hit the achievement for 175 cars, but building up the money for that is best done slowly, as I get weekly rewards for having played a load of Forza titles that help significantly with in-game money.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury

I swear Bowsers Fury is one of my favourite Nintendo games now but it's only an expansion to a nearly decade old game.

Just found my old cds for Rogue Spear: Black Thorn, Freespace 2 and F1 season 2000 so i'll be trying to run those.

Dragon Age: Origins. It is incredibly interesting and fun. I was shocked by how well it runs with maxed graphics and in native resolution (1366x768) on my HP Elitebook 8460p with i5 2520M CPU and Intel HD 3000 GPU.

I have been playing a lot of Deathmatch Classic and Wolfenstein 3D, looking to buy Quake II and Spear of Destiny sometime!