Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Black Mesa, which I haven't touched since around 2012 when it was still a free mod, following a Half-Life 2 + Episodes re-visit.

Mostly Diablo 2 resurrected on Switch.

Was playing Diablo 1 with the source Port and i wanted to play more, but with Controller.

Since i didn"t found a proper source Port for the second, the Remake was the next Option.

And, i really like it.

You see that it wasn't done by Blizzard directly (... what a frase).

Sad they incorporated Vicarious Visions, i am sure the Quality will be gone soon.

Blizzard is just a sheeeeet Company.

As mentioned I am replaying all of Bioshock, as while I love the games dearly I had yet to play the remasters. I am currently up to Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den, and just accidentally stumbled onto something.

You can use the Telekinesis plasmid to pick up and throw corpses. And with Bioshock 2, you dual wield weapons and plasmids. So I am now gaining endless amusement from shooting enemies while simultaneously telekineticly beating them with the corpses of their fallen comrades. Glorious.

13 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

You can use the Telekinesis plasmid to pick up and throw corpses. And with Bioshock 2, you dual wield weapons and plasmids. So I am now gaining endless amusement from shooting enemies while simultaneously telekineticly beating them with the corpses of their fallen comrades. Glorious.

Ha. It's been a very long time since I played Bioshock 2, but I remember enjoying it fondly. It's a pity it's not as talked about as the original game. I remember it had the original's deep focus on narrative and environmental storytelling, giving the player the opportunity to piece together what happened. It's not something you see very often today. I'm also one of the few people on the face of the planet who actually likes infinite. Make of that what you will.

11 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

Ha. It's been a very long time since I played Bioshock 2, but I remember enjoying it fondly. It's a pity it's not as talked about as the original game. I remember it had the original's deep focus on narrative and environmental storytelling, giving the player the opportunity to piece together what happened. It's not something you see very often today. I'm also one of the few people on the face of the planet who actually likes infinite. Make of that what you will.

I enjoyed the whole franchise. I have soft spot for Minervas Den. The actor playing Porter was great and the surprise about who was who blew me away. The ending was touching too.

1 minute ago, Murdoch said:

I enjoyed the whole franchise. I have soft spot for Minervas Den. The actor playing Porter was great and the surprise about who was who blew me away. The ending was touching too.

I haven't played Minerva's den, though I should probably give replay them all. Even though you know the first game's genius twist, it's still a joy to play through. Same goes for two and infinite.

9 hours ago, Silent Wolf said:

I haven't played Minerva's den, though I should probably give replay them all. Even though you know the first game's genius twist, it's still a joy to play through. Same goes for two and infinite.

You should. It's more Bioshock 2 and as I said, it's actually very cleverly written. I just Googled the guy who played Porter - Carl Lumbly. I remembered him from Alias. Great actor, good sense of gravitas.

I do not get the hate for Bioshock 2 at all. The dual wielding makes for much more dynamic combat, the environments are still wonderful, and the idea that your behaviour influences how Eleanor behaves is really cool.

I also don't get the hate for Infinite. I loved it. Really mind-bending with fun combat. I googled it before, supposedly people have an issue with it's violence (oh no, look at all the violence in this game from a series known for violence!) and also racism? Yes, there was racist shit in it. That's period accurate and glossing over that helps nobody. History is not to be liked or disliked, it's to be learned from. Depicting something historically accurate is not the same as endorsing it and people need to learn the difference. Calling Bioshock Infinite racist cause there's historically accurate racist behaviour in it is like calling Wolfenstein pro-Nazi because it has Nazis in it. Or Doom pro Satanism as it has demons and hell in it even though you're redecorating the place with the insides of said demons. It could not possibly be more anti-Satanism.

Finished Doom '16 on Hurt Me Plenty, altogether a really awesome experience. I missed a lot of secrets, so I might replay it on Ultra Violence so I can properly have my ass handed to me.

The fight that killed me the most times was the cyberdemon, the second phase took probably ten attempts or so. Several of the arena battles were tough as well, notably the one in Kadingir Sanctum with something like 4 barons and a bunch of revenants and mancubi.

Gonna start up Doom Eternal this weekend.

Edited by Megalyth

16 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I also don't get the hate for Infinite. I loved it. Really mind-bending with fun combat. I googled it before, supposedly people have an issue with it's violence (oh no, look at all the violence in this game from a series known for violence!) and also racism? Yes, there was racist shit in it. That's period accurate and glossing over that helps nobody. 

Well, first off I will say the problem with the racism in the story was the depiction was just strange. It was present but felt too watered down to actually be worth anything, there's no real commentary, there's no real connection with the plot, and it wasn't really focused on enough if anything. But that was just a weird element to me, the reason I think it's utter trash is the plot is some of the worst writing I've ever seen. Bioshock 2 and particularly Minerva's Den, by contrast have some excellent writing, Infinite could not be further from that kind of quality. It's a complete mess that is just infuriatingly bad. Also the gameplay itself is watered and a bad version of Bioshock 1 and 2's design. 

Doom, Doom, some Doom. Also recently been thinking about playing the new game Doom.

8 hours ago, hybridial said:

Well, first off I will say the problem with the racism in the story was the depiction was just strange. It was present but felt too watered down to actually be worth anything, there's no real commentary, there's no real connection with the plot, and it wasn't really focused on enough if anything.

Why does there need to be any commentary? It's accurate to the period. It's shameful and disgraceful, but that's what it was like in America (and really much of the world) back then. It made me angry like all racism does, even fictional depictions. So to me, it had an effect.

8 hours ago, hybridial said:

But that was just a weird element to me, the reason I think it's utter trash is the plot is some of the worst writing I've ever seen.

Fair enough. I did not find it that way, but one person's gold is another person's trash so it's all good.

Edited by Murdoch

Been playing Killer7 for some time ago and it's a blast, I'm at the second half of the game (Target04: Alter Ego) and the more I play, the crazier everything gets.

I am currently playing Borderlands 3. For a good while, I was ready to call it the best entry in the series yet... but then, it turns out that it is one of these games that do not know when to end and keep going even after what should have been a fitting climax. I mean, that does not make the game itself less good or anything, but after The Pre-Sequel, which I thought had the perfect length, it is kind of jarring. In many ways, this reminds me of StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, but at least, that game had the decency of making the extra missions into a separate epilogue.

I guess it also does not help that the Borderlands series are the kind of games that forces you to play through them at least once so you can unlock higher difficulty settings, and in Borderlands 3, monster and loot scaling as well as extra game mechanics. As such, I have been trying to rush through my first playthrough, skipping most secondary quests, in order to unlock the True Vault Hunter mode, so imagine my dismay when I found out that I still have to go through at least one more map (EDIT: Nope, there is one more after that!), which looks like the biggest one yet...

Plus it would have been neat to end the game on Pandora. I do not know, maybe it still will, but I feel like the Great Vault should have been it.

Edited by Rudolph

Went through The Quarry. It was alright. Definitely better than Hidden Agenda and much more consistent than Man of Medan (I have not bothered with Little Hope), but it feels a bit too much like a rethread of Until Dawn - albeit not as problematic, but also not as memorable either. In many ways, it reminds me of the movie Pumpkinhead, which might not be a coincidence, considering the presence of Lance Henriksen.

I guess Until Dawn and to a lesser extent House of Ashes are tough acts to follow!

I do not get why it was not part of Supermassive's Dark Pictures Anthology, however; the developers said it is because The Quarry is lighter in tone, but it really does not come across to me.

Edited by Rudolph

Just played through both the entire story mode and arcade mode in TMNT: Shredder's Revenge. Great art style, catchy music, cathartic sound effects and surprisingly deep gameplay for a simple beat 'em up. After watching the trailer I was a little hesitant to buy it, something about the song they used and the chibi look with some of the characters didn't excite me all that much but am more than pleasantly surprised with the final experience. So far I've really enjoyed everything Tribute Games has produced and this might be the best thing they've done so far!

It came out at the perfect time, I was in the middle of playing Rage for the 100th time and decided to try and give Rage 2 another chance, and maybe I was just looking for an excuse to stop trying to enjoy it, but as soon as I saw TMNT was available, that was it. I'll probably still keep trying with Rage 2; as flawed as Rage 1 is I still really enjoy it, almost in the same way I enjoy a bad action B movie, but Rage 2 is so bland so far it's insulting, from the weapons, the characters, the menus and the music. I try really hard to not skip every line of dialogue, but so far I have skipped every line of dialogue. I don't know why I keep trying, but there is a part of me that hopes I'll eventually enjoy it.

On 6/13/2022 at 6:34 PM, Kontra Kommando said:

Magic: The Gathering - Arena

What colour (or colours) is your library/deck?

11 hours ago, Lippeth said:

Just played through both the entire story mode and arcade mode in TMNT: Shredder's Revenge. Great art style, catchy music, cathartic sound effects and surprisingly deep gameplay for a simple beat 'em up. After watching the trailer I was a little hesitant to buy it, something about the song they used and the chibi look with some of the characters didn't excite me all that much but am more than pleasantly surprised with the final experience. So far I've really enjoyed everything Tribute Games has produced and this might be the best thing they've done so far!

Despite being a massive OG Turtles cartoon mark when I was a kid, and an even bigger fan of the Konami beat 'em ups, I was completely indifferent to this before release, assuming it was going to be a "muh nostalgia" cash-run.

And now I'm tossing up whether to pick it up on Steam or Switch.

The animation looks adorable and is filled with so many neat little touches, like giving generic enemies thematically-relevant weapons (spoons if they're in a kitchen, etc.) that give it a lot of life. And Tee Lopes had some massive fucking boots to fill with the soundtrack, but has utterly knocked it out of the park.

I'd still like to know what timeline we're living in, though:

5 hours ago, LucasRafael132 said:

I'm playing, by far my favourite Quake game: Quake II

Wait, how do you digest all that techbase slurry?

@Daytime Waitress yeah, we've come a long way from Vanilla Ice's Ninja Rap (which is still a guilty pleasure for me). There are only a few songs I disliked from the soundtrack, one being the main theme sung by none other than Mike Patton, one of my favorite singers. It's cool they got him to sing it, but the vocal delivery feels oddly rushed and the melody is off, and the half-time drums kill it for me. The animation is stellar though, so I can sit through it.

The music for Technodrome Redux and the vocals in the Skyline level bugged me as well. I really wish they did some sort of reference to the SNES Technodrome music like they do with other songs, it's the longest level and the music becomes grating after a while. The vocals in the rock song sound like Dexter Holland from The Offspring doing a bad Dio impression, and I love both Dio and The Offspring so it comes off a bit weird for me, it's just the wrong voice for the song. The turtle lair music almost bugs me because it's so close to the cartoon's turtle lair music that it makes me think they didn't have the rights to the original music of the show other than the main theme, but even that has a slightly different melody.

Anyway, sorry for the whole music rant. Overall it's excellent along with the rest of the game. I'm not a beat 'em up expert but this game hits me just right.

No need to apologise for the rant - and I'm not just saying that because I agree with you regarding the vocal tracks.

2 hours ago, Lippeth said:

The vocals in the rock song sound like Dexter Holland from The Offspring doing a bad Dio impression

lmao I'm not gonna be able to unhear that!

I've only listened to the OST on youtube, so I don't know how well certain songs pad out a level on multiple listens. But so far I've thought that the callbacks - when present - were just subtle enough to be endearing. Lopes is clearly familiar enough with Konami's DNA to where he can replicate their feel without straight up using exact bars from past Turtles games. Getting a big bang of Mystical Ninja from both of these, for example:

Spoiler

Spoiler

And I fucking love the Goemon games.

Edited by Daytime Waitress : Broken links

1 hour ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Getting a big bang of Mystical Ninja from both of these

The links aren't showing up for me, but Legend of the Mystical Ninja is one of my all time favorite soundtracks and games in general!