Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

On 7/28/2022 at 6:04 AM, Lippeth said:

Though if you play online, be prepared to get nauseated by the repeated special move sound effects from being spammed by other players.

It only took me a couple of levels with a few friends-of-a-friend to realise that I much prefer to play it with: a) max two players and, b) a gentlemanly agreement on the limit of supers. I guess the whole point of four or even six (!) players is that you just steamroll everything, but for me that got old pretty fast.

On 7/28/2022 at 6:04 AM, Lippeth said:

While I do prefer the more nuanced move set of Turtles in Time, the dodge mechanic in Shredder's revenge is a nice touch. It's more of a button masher than the combo-focused Streets of Rage 4,

The devs have obviously worked hard to give the player a huge amount of moves in their arsenal, but the gameplay can still be pretty simplistic at times. I guess that's just them trying to make it as approachable as possible for people not into beat 'em ups, whilst giving it a little more depth.

Having put more time into it now, I feel like self-imposed limits for supers (i.e: only against bosses and the tanky rock boiz) is how I'm gonna enjoy it more in the future.

But thank you for describing SoR4 as "more combo-focused". I've been umm'ing and ahh'ing about whether I'll give it a shot, figuring I could get a fix with SoRRemake, but I do like the idea of a more detailed combat system.

On 7/28/2022 at 3:02 PM, Daytime Waitress said:

The devs have obviously worked hard to give the player a huge amount of moves in their arsenal, but the gameplay can still be pretty simplistic at times. I guess that's just them trying to make it as approachable as possible for people not into beat 'em ups, whilst giving it a little more depth.

Having put more time into it now, I feel like self-imposed limits for supers (i.e: only against bosses and the tanky rock boiz) is how I'm gonna enjoy it more in the future.

But thank you for describing SoR4 as "more combo-focused". I've been umm'ing and ahh'ing about whether I'll give it a shot, figuring I could get a fix with SoRRemake, but I do like the idea of a more detailed combat system.

Overall I enjoy the simplicity in the combat. Most of the variety comes from the attack pattern variety from enemies, which is always fun. The only move I really miss from Turtles in Time (and occasionally accidentally try to do) is being able to press attack after almost landing from a jump to kick halfway across the screen. But being able to double jump, dodge, and perform supers without using health makes up for it overall, though taunting does trivialize things a bit.

The biggest thing I appreciate from most of the older beat 'em up titles is that the move sets are often just as, if not more complex than newer games, but they don't tell you what the moves are, so half the fun is discovering new moves and strategies. Every time I come back to a game like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe or Turtles in Time I seem to almost always discover a new layer of combat. Where in newer titles, it's a simple as reading them from a list, or in the case of Shredder's Revenge, it plays the tutorial before EVERY game.

SoR4 does play more like a fighting game than a beat 'em up, with very complex combo attacks. It turned me off after realizing that, but yeah if you like combo focused combat, this will be your jam. I don't inherently dislike that element, it's just way too much for me to want to try and memorize or commit to muscle memory.

On 7/28/2022 at 3:02 PM, Daytime Waitress said:

It only took me a couple of levels with a few friends-of-a-friend to realise that I much prefer to play it with: a) max two players and, b) a gentlemanly agreement on the limit of supers. I guess the whole point of four or even six (!) players is that you just steamroll everything, but for me that got old pretty fast.

Spoiler

"Deep breath!" "Party Dude!" "HAhahahahahahahaaaa!" "Just a minute!" "Any comments?" "Om..." "Batter up, scuz bucket!"

"Deep brarty Dude!" "HAhahahaust a minute!" "Any Om..." "Batter up, scuz bucket!"

"Deep brty Dude!" "HAhahahst a minute!" "Any comscuz bucket!"

"Any commeep breathBatter upParty DHAhahahust a Om..."

"Om..." "Om..." "Om..." "Om..."

Hidden Deep, it's a really awesome indie game where you traverse deep caves full of monsters, I loveee it's grappling hook!

I'm playing Mario 3D Land on 2DS. I was blown away when I beat Bowser and 8 additional worlds unlocked.

This overlooked gem on the Playstation Portable, which I believe is a compilation of several Japanese-only titles: 

Been using little doom breaks to play Subnautica, both the most relaxing and most terrifying game I've ever played. I definitely watched Jaws too many times as a kid.

4 hours ago, Rudolph said:

This overlooked gem on the Playstation Portable, which I believe is a compilation of several Japanese-only titles: 

Spoiler

Oh, I remember this from gaming magazines back in the day - never got around to playing it. Hey, this laid-back soundtrack is adorable, I'm totally grooving to i- SCREAMING ANIME CHILDREN!!! jfc who edited that trailer?

It is nice so far. Kind of easy, though, even if the random encounter frequency is quite high, and basic attacks are generally enough to deal with regular enemies. Thankfully, the game has AI options to automatically manage battles for you.

I've been trying to play through games for a few months and I always get burned out on them. Borderlands 3 comes to mind; it's a great game, but it feels like a grind to play it. And I got it for free, so I can't really complain. And I do enjoy the grind when I feel it, but I just haven't felt it.

The last game I finished was Psychonauts 2. And that is a masterpiece of a game, and anyone who appreciates great story telling and can put up with somewhat janky 3D platforming should play it. The atmosphere just oozes out of it, and the only complaint that I have about it was that it wasn't longer. It's a beautiful follow up to an amazing game. I wish that I could wipe my mind and play it again for the first time. Not quite as much as the original Psychonauts, replaying that for the first time would be fantastic. They're beautiful games, albeit a little janky, but they still get a strong recommendation from me.

Recently I've just started playing through Nightdive's excellent remaster of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Again. After doing it again.

It's just damn fun, and without the omnipresent fog from the original N64 version it's really damn good. I loved the original game on N64, so I might be biased, but they did an amazing job with the remaster. The arsenal was above and beyond what I would've expected of a game at the time, the environments were lush, and the enemies were something that I had never seen before. It had a Triceratops that shot rockets. And I love the "Wyaaah" sound when you kill poachers.

Being able to play it on mouse and keyboard was amazing the first time, and every subsequent time. It was a great game, and it's a really damn good port. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

DYsJm69.jpg

New POE league means new MS Paint build shitposts

You forgot to add a 1 for framerate due to screen spam.  (+2 to cleave radius, woo!)

░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░

░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░

░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░

░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░░░░░░░░░░

░▌▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░▌░░░░▄███████▄░░░░░░

░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐░░░░▐███████████▄░░░

░░░░░le░░░░░░░▐░░░░▐█████████████▄

░░░░toucan░░░░░░▀▄░░░▐█████████████▄

░░░░░░has░░░░░░░░▀▄▄███████████████

░░░░░arrived░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀██████░░

Edited by vyruss

Huh. So, apparently, Popolocrois is a rather popular franchise in Japan, so much so that they made quite a few video games out of it - including the PSP one, which is the only game that was released outside of Japan, unfortunately - as well as a couple of anime series that actually act as sequels to the games. I have never understood the point of the latter, especially when the stories they tell could have worked as video games (looking at you, Advent Children and Danganronpa 3), but the Popolocrois animes look sweet, so I might give them a watch anyway - if I can find a way to watch them, that is, because, you have guessed it, they were never released outside of Japan either!

Edited by Rudolph

Warsim,

a Text Kingdom Strategy/Manager/Adventure Game.

Gog says 26 Hours of Playtime...

I am Azuris, Imperator and Megalord of Surkovia (you can chose your Title and how People talk to you, Lord was too cheap :P).

I crushed those damn Rebels, they wanted that Leaders get voted by People, insane Stuff.

Our Tradition to get the Leader with a Tournament is the one and only Thing.

I am currently at War with the Southshore Seers, their damn Hell Warlocks are really strong and they seem to hate me.

Glad that the Star Elders, apperently born from a falling Star, are my Allies.

1 hour ago, ZALGO said:

Xenoblade 3. I've been having a blast with that game :D

It's a wild ride :P I'm on chapter 7, it's been awesome!!! don't want it to end :(

I got Fashion Police Squad, and enjoying it so far. I also got through the first level of Project Warlock 2, now they got the controller issues it had sorted out, and it definitely shows a lot of promise. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:57 PM, Mr. Freeze said:
Spoiler

DYsJm69.jpg

New POE league means new MS Paint build shitposts

Picking this up again after 10 months makes me wonder if I might actually have early-onset Alzheimer's, because not a single goddamn thing looks familiar. Christ on a cracker why did I reinstall this?

And what are you running this rodeo?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 in co-op. Awesome. This game is purest fun.

There's also Tomb Raider 2 (that very old one) and Gex 2: Enter The Gecko to finally complete on my list of suddenly dropped games.

I'm currently playing Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance on my PC for the first time and, so far I'm really impressed. I had to use a fan patch called V's Fix to get widescreen and full resolutions. I also had to use my Xbox 360 controller while playing, since it is a lot easier. At first, I never really paid attention to the Metal Gear franchise until now. It seem like something I'd enjoy and I did. I really wish I had played this game a lot sooner

The 2015 Mad Max game!

It's a miracle this game was ever able to get finished and released. It's an even bigger miracle that the game turned out to be great.

Finally done with Popolocrois on Playstation Portable. Neat little game, but very easy and unfortunately not the complete experience: for whatever reason, instead of porting the entirety of PoPoLoCrois Monogatari I and II to the PSP, Sony reportedly chose to condense the two games into one instead and add in an original but rather short and forgettable "filler episode"-esque middle chapter bridging the two games. At least, they commissioned brand-new anime cutscenes for the occasion; from what I have seen, the PS1 ones still hold up, but the new ones still look better. I hear there are more Popolocrois games, but aside from a 3DS Harvest Moon crossover, none of them were released outside of Japan. Bummer.

EDIT: Now, I am playing Saiyuki: Journey West, a tactical role-playing game loosely based on the classic Chinese novel Journey To The West - which notably served as an inspiration for Dragon Ball, hence the presence of a character called Son Goku.

So far, so good. It reminds me of a similar, more recent game I played on the PSP titled Jeanne d'Arc. That one is also worth checking out: it is a nice fantasy reimagining of the story of Jeanne d'Arc, complete with magic spells, transformations and monsters.

Edited by Rudolph

ffxii again lol, zodiac age version
i was wondering about optional challenges to increase difficulty
last time I played Fran-only with no other restrictions but this time it's Fran-only, no buying weaponry armor or consumables at the shops, no summons except during boss fights, no doing anything but advancing the story while there's a guest character in yr party, no kiting enemies endlessly around trees (probably isn't necessary as a rule with a single character, but the idea is just to take everything on the chin) and no treasure grinding for the super weapons (seitengrat etc.) which'll probably extend to no manipulation on the cerobi steppe... the idea is to arrive at a fun level of difficulty where you have to concentrate on what's happening and do a lot of preparation without it being insanely hard (like the no licenses, initial equip people)

already noticed that if you don't prepare for the Dreadnaught Leviathan section by getting armor from treasure chests you can get trapped there forever, being underleveled while constantly alerted enemies rush over to you and start supporting each other. it might be possible to get around if you tour through the whole ship before hand and unlock the short cut so you don't have to be fleeing from dangerous magic-casting enemies for minutes on end? but it's an encouraging obstacle

i eventually wanna stream some casual playthroughs of the game with various character classes and want to know the route i'm imagining is doable