Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

1 hour ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Just started Dread Delusion again. Adored the demo when it first dropped, and purchased it the instant it came out, but I haven't found time for it until today.

Very simple indie RPG, with a vaguely King's Field-ish/Morrowind-but-on-the-PSX graphical style and dog-rough collision detection that leads to jank combat. And while the palette and use of a wobbly texture filter for "PSX visuals" is obviously not going to be to everyone's tastes, the graphical choices and world-building as a whole creates a completely alien atmosphere. Mechanically, it's simple and easy to understand; but aesthetically it makes the player feel that they don't understand how the rules of this world full of floating islands work... so they have to explore and interact with it all. And that is something that an RPG hasn't made me feel compelled to do in a long, long time.

Oh, wow! This game looks amazing. I have checked it only because you've described it as "King's Field-ish/Morrowind-but-on-the-PSX". It's an absolute bummer that the game is in Early Access though. 😞

10 minutes ago, PKr said:

Oh, wow! This game looks amazing. I have checked it only because you've described it as "King's Field-ish/Morrowind-but-on-the-PSX". It's an absolute bummer that the game is in Early Access though. 😞

Small dev and it's in beta until it ain't. I'm enjoying it enough now, and the likelihood of it improving from here is just icing on the cake - no bummer about it.

2 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Small dev and it's in beta until it ain't. I'm enjoying it enough now, and the likelihood of it improving from here is just icing on the cake - no bummer about it.

Goddammit. I really need people to stop recommending games that look like I will absolutely love them. That looks like a gem of a game, and I'll have to check it out.

2 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Just checked it out after reading your recommend, looks really nice, love the colors, it's like Morrowwind on LSD. How's the RPG elements, looks more story driven/action focused like Strife than full on fantasy life simulator like Morrowwind but that's fine for a small indie title.

25 minutes ago, Wyrmwood said:

Just checked it out after reading your recommend, looks really nice, love the colors, it's like Morrowwind on LSD. How's the RPG elements, looks more story driven/action focused like Strife than full on fantasy life simulator like Morrowwind but that's fine for a small indie title.

I've never played Strife for comparison, but I'd pitch it closer to Morrowind-(ultra)lite. It starts off kind of narrative focused, in the "tutorial" area, but from then on the main story kind of dries up, and I don't know how much of it has actually been programmed into the game as of yet. Which is fine, because being left to my own devices and wandering about, messing with the multiple factions and completing side quests, has been enough for me thus far. I think buying the new in-game manor before upgrading my gear was dumb, though, because it doesn't even come with a bed; and when I rested in the caretaker's lodge, I woke up with nine coins less in my purse...

I am really enjoying it a lot so far, but the more time I spend with it, the more it reveals itself to be a beta with a lot of work still to be put in on QA. Maybe just keep an eye on it until the next big update, or wait until it gets out of early access?

Edited by Daytime Waitress

Definitely intrigued, will take your advice and wait though, I've a huge back-log of games to get through anyway, keep getting side-tracked by Doom wads (pretty sure that's a common issue for folks here).

Sounds like you better keep an eye on your purse around that caretaker!

I've definitely been interested in Dread Delusion but I'm willing to wait for it to be finished before diving in. I did get ExZodiac in early access though which if you liked Starfox is awesome.

But I've been playing River City Girls and the Doomsday levels on Doom 64 CE myself lately.

8 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Had you played Turok back in the day? And did you enjoy it more or less this time around?

Not back in the day, but I did play it for the first time in 2009. It wasn't on the N64 however, it was a PC version that I downloaded from a (now defunct) site called Arcades 3D. I remember liking what little I played of it.

After having just completed the Steam version, I think it was more good than bad, but there were some flaws that made it difficult for me completing it...one thing about the level design that I didn't like was that overuse of teleports, it made the gameplay rather unpredictable. Then there were a few frustrating platforming sections but other than those two criticisms, I found myself liking the maps on the most part, and being impressed at the thought that the N64 could render such large, lush and fully polygonal worlds.

Currently I am playing Jupiter Hell, on Apocalypse difficulty of course.

Occasional forays into W40K mechanicus, Synthetik, and W40K Relics of war.

@Daytime Waitress I have never heard of Dread Delusion before now. Color me intrigued from your description.

Just bought a switch and some games for it

Quake. Really fun with the controller motion controls

South Park The Fractured But Whole

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3

Civilization VI

Finished the main story on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Nintendo Switch) so onto post game!! and maybe chose something from my crippling backlog to play next!

Metal-Hellsinger (for those who don't know it's a rhythm shooter game). So far i'm having a mental breakdown over beast mode because of how ridiculously hard it is

image.png.6d3f8e0d9b772a7a8b5ddf9bf5123625.png

Every year when autumn comes, I have the undying sinister urge strike. The urge that can only be satisfied by the act of playing Hexen!

On 9/16/2022 at 8:12 PM, MrFroz said:

I completed Nightdive Studio's remaster of Turok: The Dinosaur Hunter yesterday. Today I started playing PowerSlave Exhumed.

How is PowerSlave: Exhumed? I played the original and loved it. I've been thinking of picking up this awesome remaster/re-release. Is it as good as the screenshots/reviews make it out to be?

HYPER DEMON, a (surprise!) new first person abyssal arcade shooter from sorath.
much faster from the start of a round than devil daggers, but currently making my entire computer crash and reboot :(, hope it's an issue that can get sorted out one way or another

the 15 or so minutes i've been able to play of it, i can safely say that sorath is the only developer that has been able to take the abyssal nature of many pre-84 arcade shooting games (y'know, actual lead-containing boomer shooters) like tempest, robotron, defender, centipede, galaga, etc and apply it to the first person. they have done so twice now, and this time it also looks like something jeff minter would have made. looks and sounds very intense. sound especially, and probably better than any other first person game aside from marathon 2/infinity and shadow tower abyss, but that was also the case with devil daggers.

hopefully my issues aren't related to my machine and get fixed soon, if i need to upgrade for this shit, so be it.

1 hour ago, heliumlamb said:

much faster from the start of a round than devil daggers, but currently making my entire computer crash and reboot :(, hope it's an issue that can get sorted out one way or another

the 15 or so minutes i've been able to play of it, i can safely say that sorath is the only developer that has been able to take the abyssal nature of many pre-84 arcade shooting games (y'know, actual lead-containing boomer shooters) like tempest, robotron, defender, centipede, galaga, etc and apply it to the first person. they have done so twice now, and this time it also looks like something jeff minter would have made. looks and sounds very intense. sound especially, and probably better than any other first person game aside from marathon 2/infinity and shadow tower abyss, but that was also the case with devil daggers.

hopefully my issues aren't related to my machine and get fixed soon, if i need to upgrade for this shit, so be it.

That was a truly lovely write-up, and while I didn't stick with DD for long and this new outing looks like it will make me blow chunks, I'm definitely sad I didn't see this post before picking up Return to Monkey Island and a bunch of racing game DLC. On to the wishlist it goes...

9 minutes ago, Daytime Waitress said:

That was a truly lovely write-up, and while I didn't stick with DD for long and this new outing looks like it will make me blow chunks, I'm definitely sad I didn't see this post before picking up Return to Monkey Island and a bunch of racing game DLC. On to the wishlist it goes...

don't be too sad, as of right now it just makes my computer shut off within seconds of launching 6 out of 7 times despite definitely exceeding the fairly low minimum specs? not too surprised though, i did buy a brand new video game less than 24 hours after release in 2022 after all. i liked what i was able to play, and hope a patch may fix this issue soon enough.

so that's got me playing devil daggers again, didn't really play more than 10 minutes of it until last year, and i finally understood that it was the closest to robotron that any first person shooter has ever been. you're going to start having to plan your blinks around 3 minutes into a round.

On 9/19/2022 at 7:10 PM, Alex S. said:

How is PowerSlave: Exhumed? I played the original and loved it. I've been thinking of picking up this awesome remaster/re-release. Is it as good as the screenshots/reviews make it out to be?

Some hours ago I just finished the game and got the bad ending (which, surprisingly, less people get than the good one). I didn't play the original but I loved this Nightdive Studios release, and the Metroidvania-like progression of the game, I think its all very nicely packaged (the music, the graphics, etc.). Can't wait to play it a second time in the nearby future.

Couple days ago I decided to try out Terraria, its pretty fun. Not sure why Iv'e been rejecting it for the past couple years.

Picked up a GZDoom game called Hands of Necromancy during Realms Deep sale, it's actually a very nice Heretic style game, first few maps have been a lot of fun, well designed and look great. Seems to have a slight Metroidvania progression to it and some cool touches like reviving vanquished foes as (slightly crap) allies with single use items or transforming into various creatures for puzzle-solving or combat. Only downside so far is a few of the weapons feel a little underwhelming, I've mostly used the starting sword and fireball staff.

Edited by Wyrmwood

After a Pause of two Months Cyberpunk 2077 again (haven't loaded the Edgerunner Update yet), just love this Game.

Wanted to play it "lazier" with a Controller, but i feel lost when a Battle comes up :D...

Well I'm playing a lot of New Vegas at the moment, trying out different character builds.

Otherwise, Half-Life 2 VR released recently and I've been enjoying that a lot.

Finally tried playing a few hours of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. I'm definitely into it but I think I'm still partial to Blood Omen. Underappreciated series though.

Also played the first few maps of the ps1 Powerslave. It's so smooth and polished.

I've been playing tons of Doom 3 in order to release an update for a mod, and I like to play through the entire game several times to make sure it's balanced properly.

But I have a hard time sticking to one thing for too long and started playing Left 4 Dead 2 again and can't tear myself away from it. And the worst part is that I only really play singleplayer. I've only played one online campaign in all the hours I've played, and it was fine but nothing is better than the ability to shut off the game at a moment's notice with zero consequences. But with the right AI mods, singleplayer is totally servicable, though on harder difficulties it can still get janky, but it's still better than not being able to pause.

22 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

image.png.e9e6efcc456445791a3d91b42a7323b0.png

I haven't played that since it first came out but I remember having a lot of fun with it, and always planned to revisit.

Felt like this new Shovel Knight Dig game came out of nowhere, I didn’t realize I was living under a rock.

@Lippeth  Tag me when that mod’s updated, I had a lot of fun with it!

Also going to second Mercenary Kings being neat. It’s just fun in general when it’s Paul Robertson sprites and I liked the game’s mission structure. I first found out about Paul after playing through that Scott Pilgrim game.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:13 AM, heliumlamb said:

Hyper Demon has ensnared me in its clutches. There's practically nothing like it. Even Devil Daggers feels vastly different despite being so incredibly similar.

Latest PB is 67.281 - 1474/9109 on the leaderboards as of this post. And I feel like I'm still only scratching the surface.

5 hours ago, Gothic Box said:

Hyper Demon has ensnared me in its clutches. There's practically nothing like it. Even Devil Daggers feels vastly different despite being so incredibly similar.

Latest PB is 67.281 - 1474/9109 on the leaderboards as of this post. And I feel like I'm still only scratching the surface.

i was able to get a few more rounds in without my pc having its problems but all i can say is: Biblically Accurate Angel Daggers

on the other hand, maybe it is a good thing -for my sake- that my psu has started to nope out on anything that uses a bit of gpu. once i get that replaced its probably over for me.

Natural Selection 2. Was surprised by how amiable the community seems to be in comparison to other games', despite today being my first time playing the game online.