Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Huh. What do you know, I am already done with the Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remaster. Somehow, I ended up going through the final level without knowing it and then the game was over. I guess I could always go back and get the few remaining secrets, but what is the point now that I have beaten all the bosses? I guess I could always start a new game on a harder difficulty setting, but the game was already frustrating enough as it is on Normal; your melee attack range is so short, it just does not seem possible to hit a moving enemy without taking a hit yourself. Maybe I have been spoiled by the likes of Mega Man X4 and Mega Man Zero, but combat just did not feel intuitive here.

Still a nice remaster of a classic platformer, I guess.

I have replayed all the Dishonored games.

Just finished Death of The Outsider yesterday. 

I wanted to do a stealth ,low chaos, no powers run of Dishonored 2, then I did a high chaos and combat run of the rest of the series. 

Also in the middle of this Deathloop got a major update so I also played through that as well. I do consider Deathloop a part of the Dishonored series because of the simularity, and spoiler things.

I love Arkane and I need to play some of their earlier work. 

Currently playing Batman: Arkham Asylum for the first time. Really enjoying it.

16 hours ago, MemeMind said:

i played a good chunk of arx fatalis last year and it really is something else, it was updated a few years ago to get it at least booting and running on win10+, but it still has some issues with the save files eventually messing things up in various ways? for me it was about 8 hours in, there were some distortions and contortions going on with certain npc models that just didnt go away, but didnt happen on earlier saves. other players have reported items disappearing, and other things. Arx Libertatis fixed the savegame body horrors for me, and has improvements to the spellcasting, which is drawing out runes in real time with the mouse.

games media at the time thought it was like morrowind but worse, since that came out a month or 2 before it. it is a polar opposite of morrowind's approach to dungeon crawling, only really matched by ultima underworld, system shock and king's field.

17 hours ago, MemeMind said:

I have replayed all the Dishonored games.

Just finished Death of The Outsider yesterday. 

I wanted to do a stealth ,low chaos, no powers run of Dishonored 2, then I did a high chaos and combat run of the rest of the series. 

Also in the middle of this Deathloop got a major update so I also played through that as well. I do consider Deathloop a part of the Dishonored series because of the simularity, and spoiler things.

Check out Prey 2017 and the DLC MoonCrash if you haven't already. Two of my favorite games of the last decade, and some of my favorite games ever. If you like Dishonored and Bioshock style games, you will really enjoy Prey. :)

On topic, I am playing the usual mix of Jupiter Hell, DRL and throw in a decent strategy game like Stellaris or W40K Mechanicus. (Great games.) And Doom of course.

In typing this, I am due for my every-couple-of-year-playthrough of Prey. Can't believe how good it was. Honestly most immersive game I have ever played I think.

3 hours ago, Kyka said:

Check out Prey 2017 and the DLC MoonCrash if you haven't already. Two of my favorite games of the last decade, and some of my favorite games ever. If you like Dishonored and Bioshock style games, you will really enjoy Prey. :)

On topic, I am playing the usual mix of Jupiter Hell, DRL and throw in a decent strategy game like Stellaris or W40K Mechanicus. (Great games.) And Doom of course.

In typing this, I am due for my every-couple-of-year-playthrough of Prey. Can't believe how good it was. Honestly most immersive game I have ever played I think.

I have Prey 2017 Might have to play it if its this good :)

3 minutes ago, Lemonzest said:

I have Prey 2017 Might have to play it if its this good :)

Please do. I really think it is Arkane's masterwork. The most complex and beautiful execution of everything they learned from all their previous games. Lemme know what you think.  Good luck. :)

6 hours ago, Kyka said:

The ending is super bullshit, though.

I got the game for free on Epic Games Store, but knowing about the ending, I have been highly reluctant to invest much time into it. That and I just cannot bring myself to take the alien threat seriously. I guess it is certainly an unique take - even if I do not like the design of the enemies - and it would probably be scary in real life, but it strikes me as just so silly and immersion-breaking.

Spoiler

I mean, it is a game where you can turn yourself into a toilet paper roll and move around the environment as one. This is basically the premise of deliberately silly simulation games like Goat Simulator and I Am Bread!!!

33 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

The ending is super bullshit, though.

I got the game for free on Epic Games Store, but knowing about the ending, I have been highly reluctant to invest much time into it. That and I just cannot bring myself to take the alien threat seriously. I guess it is certainly an unique take - even if I do not like the design of the enemies - and it would probably be scary in real life, but it strikes me as just so silly and immersion-breaking.

Hide contents

I mean, it is a game where you can turn yourself into a toilet paper roll and move around the environment as one. This is basically the premise of deliberately silly simulation games like Goat Simulator and I Am Bread!!!

Fair enough if you didn't like it, though I feel like you are missing the forest for the trees. The approach to problem solving and exploration is better than anything I have seen. And overall it is very immersive. I don't think the ending is bullshit. It ends like half-life ends. With lots of mystery and clearly hints at a far bigger story than we thought prior to that point. It is not 100% clear and leaves a lot of room for interpretation, and guesswork. :) At least give it a chance, if you haven't played it much. :)

26 minutes ago, obake said:

Nier Automa on Switch. Fun so far.

Got mine yesterday, yet to play it tho :) how is it?

3 hours ago, Kyka said:

Fair enough if you didn't like it, though I feel like you are missing the forest for the trees. The approach to problem solving and exploration is better than anything I have seen. And overall it is very immersive. I don't think the ending is bullshit. It ends like half-life ends. With lots of mystery and clearly hints at a far bigger story than we thought prior to that point. It is not 100% clear and leaves a lot of room for interpretation, and guesswork. :) At least give it a chance, if you haven't played it much. :)

Spoiler

It is actually the opposite of Half-Life, which does not end up revealing that the whole adventure had been just a dream/simulation and thus invalidating everything you have accomplished so far: the alien invasion you thwarted was very real and until Half-Life 2 came along and retconned in a much greater threat, it really felt like you had made a difference and saved the day.

I hear Mooncrash is better in that regard in the sense that it has you puzzle out what happened by reliving the memories of deceased crew members, which feels like a more worthwhile approach to the whole simulation premise.

But yeah, I will probably give it a shot anyway, since I have it on Epic Games Store.

Edited by Rudolph

2 hours ago, Kyka said:

Well this is neat. I just noticed this game made it’s way into my Steam library at some point, how’d that happen? Must have been a gift or a sale, I’ll check my history.

I try to make it a habit to revisit Thief when things start to get colder, darker, and spookier and now I’m going to give this a go as well.

Cheers!

On 10/8/2022 at 12:37 AM, Kyka said:

I already love Prey so much. 

On 10/9/2022 at 4:21 AM, BGrieber said:

Well this is neat. I just noticed this game made it’s way into my Steam library at some point, how’d that happen? Must have been a gift or a sale, I’ll check my history.

I try to make it a habit to revisit Thief when things start to get colder, darker, and spookier and now I’m going to give this a go as well.

Cheers!

Hey if you got it for free, definitely give it a shot.

The thief series was amazing too. Really influenced game design from that point. :)

3 hours ago, MemeMind said:

I already love Prey so much. 

:D yes super amazing.

Metroid Prime 1, although to be honest I'm getting really clueless on where to go and I have to completely rely on hints sometimes.

Same. I played through the first one in Metroid Prime Trilogy, but I got fed up with Echoes real quick. I am not against making Metroid into a first-person shooter, but navigation feels much tedious when you have to work with a first-person view with a narrow field of view.

King's Field which is actually King's Field II. That game.

Anyway, I have heard a lot of good stuff about this game, so I bought the disk at an exorbitant price. Only to find out that it's barely playable on my still working PS1. It runs at what feels like 10~ fps 90% of the time. So I dropped the idea of playing it on an actual PlayStation, and launched it via an overclocked Duckstation.

The game's been very interesting so far.

the remaster of Chasm: The Rift.

Never played the original, can't comment on how it lives up to that, my interest in it is just purely as another old school FPS I can play.

And there's stuff I like about and stuff I don't.

The Good:

Whilst there's some visual glitches here or there, the textures look very nice and detailed for a 1997 game.

The dismemberment system is awesome and very meaningful for gameplay. I'm kinda shocked this idea was never done more, with enemy attacks changing to compensate for them losing their initial weapons.

The weapons are pretty good, for the most part

The Bad:

Janky collision detection all over

Level design; leans a bit too much on the cryptic side and some traps are completely unfair and just evil

With a game like this I can accept the bad with the good, since if nothing else it's clearly a short game, and brevity can make up for some things. 

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

@hybridial Oh, I was just thinking about getting this one. Do you think the current price is fair or should I wait for it to get cheaper?

I felt I was interested enough in the game for it to be worth it, but I do have a very specific interest in retro game experiences, and not a lot else these days, so I don't mind paying a bit of a premium for something I am engaged by. I don't believe the devs are overcharging for the work they had to put in but it's still asking a fair bit for the content.

If you doubt you want it that much, I would err on the side of passing. It's an interesting piece, a bit of a cult piece... not really a classic. That's not the reputation it has, really.  

I do appreciate it having full controller support out of the box though, that tends to be another factor for me, I want to support the devs in this genre who do that. 

18 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Oh, are the original developers behind the remaster?

I believe that's the case, yes, but it's a reverse engineering as the source code was lost.

That's not the kind of thing that bothers me, as in I'm not looking for 100% authenticity.

It is a shame that the level design is reportedly not good: I do like the way the game looks and sounds.

I felt it was time to get into a game I'd never played before, instead of just playing the same old classic Doom and modded Minecraft sessions. So I chose Elite: Dangerous, because I've hardly played any space flight games and it had been sitting on my Steam wishlist for a good while. I even bought an X52 Hand-On-Throttle-And-Stick in order to complete the whole "piloting your own personal spacecraft" experience.

Two months and 360 hours later, and I'm now in my massive Type-10 Defender on my way to Beagle Point at the other end of the galaxy, rendered in glorious 1-to-1 scale in all its 400 billion star glory. Yeah, I think this game has got me.

o7

Currently playing The Sinking City after beating Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the first time, despite first picking it up on the OG Xbox in 2005/2006. Was a very cool experience and really put me in the mood for more Lovecraftian games, films and other media. Also playing through Blood with the Fresh Supply Nightdive version, about time I finally beat that as well as the Cryptic Passage expansion.

Just now, InfernalMonsoon said:

Currently playing The Sinking City after beating Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the first time, despite first picking it up on the OG Xbox in 2005/2006. Was a very cool experience and really put me in the mood for more Lovecraftian games, films and other media. Also playing through Blood with the Fresh Supply Nightdive version, about time I finally beat that as well as the Cryptic Passage expansion.

It's so great seeing other people enjoy Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE. There's a documentary on the making of the game in the works atm. It had a huge development history which spanned many years of development hell, and varying iterations of the game. A solid chunk of the overall game was also cut to meet the release schedule (the current ending of the game was more of a halfway point originally, with the player traveling to the arctic afterwards).

Have also been going through some old favourites; LA Noire, Alan Wake, Resident Evil Remake, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30.