Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

I remember enjoying Condemned: Criminal Origins well enough, but I hear its console-exclusive sequel pretty much jumped the shark.

Anyway, I would argue that Condemned has a much better story than F.E.A.R. in the sense that you actually do get to take part in it rather than just being a passive observer. Like, really. The Point Man in F.E.A.R. could have called in sick that day and everything would have unfolded almost exactly the same, no matter how many Replica soldiers get blown to smithereens. Once you notice this and also the clear delineation between action sequences and story/horror sequences, you cannot unsee it and the whole thing accidentally turns into a Monty Python sketch.

Thankfully, Condemned and even the F.E.A.R. sequels were an improvement in that regard.

Various visual novels and a lot of Genshin Impact. Today I finally pulled Childe, at pull 77. Funny, since I lost the 50/50 to Qiqi on Yoimiya's banner at pull 77 too xD

21 minutes ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Tabasco Glazed Marmots?

ARCADE ARCHIVES Treacherous The Grid Making on my no longer dusty switch and Treacherous The Grid Making 3: Terror Instinct for the Taito Type X hardware

Edited by heliumlamb : it's type x, not x1

Finally got around to finishing ROTT and it was a stellar experience. Can only imagine what it could have been hadn't Carmack been his usual prissy, bitchy self.

Particularly impressed by the texture work, enough to dig around for modding tools 

Been grinding away at Assassin's Creed Origin for the completionist achievement; think I only have left one elephant and that southernmost ancient machine to activate, and about 4 papyrus scroll locations to find.   

3 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Finally got around to finishing ROTT and it was a stellar experience. Can only imagine what it could have been hadn't Carmack been his usual prissy, bitchy self.

How the hell did you manage not to constantly fall off the map boundaries because of those bumpers? :o

Granted, I only played The Hunt Begins, but I ended up rage-quitting because of those fucking things.

6 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

How the hell did you manage not to constantly fall off the map boundaries because of those bumpers? :o

Granted, I only played The Hunt Begins, but I ended up rage-quitting because of those fucking things.

Skillz.

Jk, I guess you get used to them eventually, just like Doom's damaging floors.

I guess, but at least, there are ways to avoid taking damage from damaging floors in Doom. One false movement in Rise of the Triad and it is over.

Oh, well. :(

Hooked on "Vampire Survivors". Such a simple, but amazing game. In an alternate universe, it is what cell phone games would have become.

8 hours ago, heliumlamb said:

ARCADE ARCHIVES Treacherous The Grid Making on my no longer dusty switch and Treacherous The Grid Making 3: Terror Instinct for the Taito Type X hardware

Fascinating. What part of the world are you from where Tetris The Grand Master is known as Treacherous The Grid Making?

Fallout 3's Mothership Zeta DLC.

Much like Operation Anchorage, it feels more like playing a mediocre mid-2000s shooter than a Fallout game due to the lack of NPC interactions (thus making Charisma and Intelligence-related skills rather useless), the mandatory combat scenarios and the linear level design made exclusively of cramped metallic corridors. At least, this time, Bethesda thought of adding in some fun supporting characters as well as allowing the player to grab loot, which the DLC is thankfully brimming with, so it is at least an improvement in that respect, and both the setting and the overall plot remind me of the Skedar Attack Ship level from Perfect Dark, which is nice. However, it is still baffling that this was the final DLC released for Fallout 3.

Edited by Rudolph

Played through The Callisto Protocol.  Profoundly disappointing in every way, except audiovisual fidelity and acting.

1 hour ago, ZethXM said:

Played through The Callisto Protocol.  Profoundly disappointing in every way, except audiovisual fidelity and acting.

Yeah, I saw The Sphere Hunter's review. Even thought I was not particularly looking forward to this title, this is really quite surprising nonetheless.

At the very least, I would have expected something on par with Dead Space 3.

4 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Fascinating. What part of the world are you from where Tetris The Grand Master is known as Treacherous The Grid Making?

my own Heck

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Yeah, I saw The Sphere Hunter's review. Even thought I was not particularly looking forward to this title, this is really quite surprising nonetheless.

At the very least, I would have expected something on par with Dead Space 3.

At least Dead Space 3 has a kinda-fun combat loop.

I'd love to believe Krafton screwed them, the game kinda has some "roll with what we got" hallmarks of a sudden swerve in development, especially late game.  But... well, some of the ideas are just bad.  And with such a big-spending marketing pushed centered around "Mastering Horror" and making the scariest game ever, I feel deeply embarrassed for Glen Schofield.  Because this is incompetent horror on a basic level.

Callisto Protocol turned out to be a fucking joke. The PC version is a real horror alright. Reminds me of when I played The Order on PS4 except with added performance issues - just like that game, this one deserves a place in the bargain bin immediately. The reviews it got are generous in my opinion. I think it's a piece of shit, irredeemably bad. Looking forward to the Silent Hill 2 remake, but I have little faith in the developers. Maybe RE4 remake will at least be fun?

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Are you going to play the PS4 one?

yes both 2018 and ragnarok. i actually bought the gow 3 remaster for the ps4 yesterday and i will play it on there once i get to it.

1 hour ago, ZethXM said:

At least Dead Space 3 has a kinda-fun combat loop.

I'd love to believe Krafton screwed them, the game kinda has some "roll with what we got" hallmarks of a sudden swerve in development, especially late game.  But... well, some of the ideas are just bad.  And with such a big-spending marketing pushed centered around "Mastering Horror" and making the scariest game ever, I feel deeply embarrassed for Glen Schofield.  Because this is incompetent horror on a basic level.

Yeah, one of the reasons why I initially did not even care about the game was the announcement that it was going to be set in the PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds universe, somehow. Also, weirdly enough, people (including The Sphere Hunter in her review) keep talking about Glen Schofield as if he was the creator of Dead Space or something, but from what I understand, he was merely the executive producer.

Recently bought Rise Of The Triad: Dark War. So far (E2M6 as of this comment), really good game with brutally good music, a couple of levels suck though.

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Yeah, one of the reasons why I initially did not even care about the game was the announcement that it was going to be set in the PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds universe, somehow. Also, weirdly enough, people (including The Sphere Hunter in her review) keep talking about Glen Schofield as if he was the creator of Dead Space or something, but from what I understand, he was merely the executive producer.

The PUBG thing got dropped pretty early on.  From what I understand, Schofield was co-creator of the original Dead Space along with Michael Condrey, and the two followed each other to various projects working together.  Until Activision bought Sledgehammer and they went their own ways. 

There was a number of OG Visceral staff at Striking Distance.  I'm fairly alright with them calling Callisto "from the creators of Dead Space", apart from failing utterly to live up to it.

i watched an hour of that callisto game being played and it seemed more depressing than anything

locations that are simultaneously corridors and too randomly directional to be fun to look around on a joypad

planet terror-style gore paired with the plodding sub-arkane pseudo-immersion of the last ten years of gaming

i don't understand who it's for

42 minutes ago, yakfak said:

pseudo-immersion of the last ten years of gaming

i don't understand who it's for

I feel this very sentence contains its own (sad) answer.

Games are no longer about fun, they are (((art))) so they must center on (((issues))) and (((gritty verisimilitude))).

At least when I game, can I be allowed not to think about how much of a sad mess being alive is? Just let me breathe ffs.

Edited by Thelokk

i dunno hee i don't think this game is focusing on issues

it's more of a weird horror/disaster thing, i just don't think the parts fit together well

(i generally like indie games which talk about how much of a sad mess being alive is giggle

i like doom wads about how much of a sad mess being alive is too

i don't really think big studios can match a single creator's control over that theme though)