Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

On 12/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, Somniac said:

I just picked up HROT. Its very brown.

Read your post and couldn't stop laughing. Because it's very true!

I only played the demo so far, but it's most certainly one of the new games I'd like to play in the near future. It's just so... bizarre, in a good way. It teases my imagination.

So to my immense surprise, I got a PS5 for Christmas. I stopped looking for one since I could never find one, and just spent some extra $ on a new PC, figuring that would be fine. I only really wanted a PS5 for the nee Ratchet and Clank anyway. Which I got. Before I started that up, I played through Astro's Playroom. I knew it would be a short game, and that it was basically a tech demo and controller showcase, but man was that charming! So much Playstation nostalgia. Looked great, played well, and was just an overall joy. Also, the DualSense controller is surprisingly cool. The haptic feedback was cool and kind of expected, but the adaptive triggers are something else. I can see that being very versatile in games if developers take advantage of it. The times where they became similar to the Gamecube shoulder buttons, where you push down hard enough to click them, is really satisfying. It does become kind of weird when there's no tension to them and they press in so easily with no click. Almost unnatural to me, lol. 

So Astro took me like 2 and half hours to get all the collectables, then I started Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. I'm honestly surprised that Insomniac is still managing to make this series so fun and consistent 20 years in. Same basic gameplay, but just super refined. Looks absolutely gorgeous. Load times are super quick, which makes the dimension hopping during levels work really well. And the game still has its quirkiness and humor. Only 3 worlds in, but I'm going to be playing this a lot this week. Took the final week off work for the holidays, so I've got time. If you've liked any game in this series since Going Commando, you'll like this one.

battle garegga is finally starting to click with me, after like a decade. playing chitta with either c or abc. my message to the world: take pride in being poor player!

Just finished Outward: Definitive Edition together with my husband in co-op (after previously putting a bit over 100 hours into the "non-definitive" edition).

I love this game. It has a little bit of clunk to it and buggy at times, but it is soooo much fun to play, especially together! And that's one of the very few (if not the only) game that allows you to wear a bird mask. And a bird nerd like myself is furiously happy about.

I also really like the fact that there are no level-ups. The skill comes to you as you keep playing, also with better gear and tactics you come up with. It has nice pace to it, and most certainly it has very, very nice landscapes, especially in Enmerkar Forest region. To me it's an eye candy. I've been taking screenshots featuring landscapes and colours of nature almost all the time, for potential artwork references.

I do really recommend this game to everyone who likes so-called "souls-like" games (although I always frown and call them "blade-like" games instead, because, you know, Blade of Darkness).

Got the Stormworks weapons DLC for christmas, there are few things more satisfying than skimming over the ocean at mach 1, releasing 2 AShMs and watching the trails lazily drift towards some random corvette.

Also I found a really dumb looking ATGM carrier that is actually really effective and would be even more so if I had my friend with me.

been playing persona 5 royal and thoroughly enjoying it. haven't played persona 5 in nearly three years so being soaked back into the gameplay, story, characters plus discovering all the new content has been a great experience even if it feels overwhelming at first, and I imagine I'll be coming right back for more once I'm done with my current playthrough. 

on the other hand I've been playing wolfenstein the new order as well which has also been pretty good, wasn't sure at first if all the mechanics would be worth engaging with but they've all seemed to fit into my experience rather nicely, liking how the narrative's been building up too.

Been playing this little RPG thing called Ara Fell and it really hit the spot, the kind of undemanding, no-skills-required games I usually prefer.

I also began dabbling in Descent mapping, so I'm replaying the game since last time was, like, twenty years ago lol. 

Finished playing through Control.  Same vibes Alan Wake gave me:  they absolutely nail their ideas when it comes to worldbuilding and those concepts are pretty much exactly my kinda shit... but the gameplay is sorta flat and doesn't really rise past 'decent'.  Happy I played it at a discount, though.  Probably be the same way with Alan Wake 2.

Okay so I shifted my focus entirely over to Triangle Strategy. I already finished a run, using split save files to finish the three normal ending routes. I'm neck deep into New Game + to get the Golden Route, and I absolutely adore this game. It's brilliant, and it's the best JRPG type of game I have played in years, maybe since Suikoden V, and the game has a lot in common with Suikoden despite the different subgenres of gameplay. It probably also wins as the best Squaresoft/Square Enix game I've ever played but it doesn't have much competition for that. 

SIGNALIS was super good, hard recommend for anyone into PSX-era survival horror.  Nice to see all of the gameplay trappings of that genre used in their original context.  Find myself wishing its 'evolution' took a different path, as much as I love RE4.

Dragon Quest XI, I bought and started a year or so ago but I was already half-way through Dragon Quest III so I returned to that and was a little JRPG'ed out by the time I'd finished. Returned this Xmas, started a new game as I'd only played a few hours and I love it. It's so completely and unashamedly old school under its pretty 3d graphics, no reinventing the wheel here its just like the NES/SNES games but super refined to perfection. The story is typical Dragon Quest fare but like DQ VIII benefits from nicely done full voice acting and animation which brings the characters to life.

The whole game is like a beautiful nostalgia trip, highly recommended for folks who loved the earlier titles or for people who grew up playing Final Fantasy 7,8,9 and then wanted more but never got it (later titles in that series had to shake up the JRPG genre for better or worse). Hell there's even an option to switch the graphics to 16bit top down style and play the entire game like that if you want!

40 minutes ago, HadleyFlame said:

Bioshock Collection ! Enjoying it so far ! ♡

Cool, Which game out of the collection are you currently playing?

@Wyrmwood I meant to give the demo a shot a while back, but then I changed my mind after I got kind of sick of the Dragon Quest series after playing VIII and IX. Hopefully, I can get myself to play it in 2023!

3 hours ago, ZethXM said:

SIGNALIS was super good, hard recommend for anyone into PSX-era survival horror.  Nice to see all of the gameplay trappings of that genre used in their original context.  Find myself wishing its 'evolution' took a different path, as much as I love RE4.

Oh yeah, I saw Resident Evil superfan Suzi Hunter fangirling about the game recently. I look forward to her video on it, once she finds the time to make it. Speaking of survival horrors, I got Daymare 1998 for free on GOG yesterday. It does not look too great, but again, it is free, so...

1 hour ago, Silhouette 03 said:

Cool, Which game out of the collection are you currently playing?

First one! It's my first time playing hehe

It just occurred to me that "fangirling" might have some negative connotations attached to it, which I did not intend here.

What I meant is that Suzi Hunter clearly loves Resident Evil, so she appears to have been very happy with Signalis.

This reminds me that I got Resident Evil 1 Remake a while back on EGS. Damn, so many games to play... XD

On 12/28/2022 at 11:56 PM, HeatedChocolate said:

Got the Stormworks weapons DLC for christmas, there are few things more satisfying than skimming over the ocean at mach 1, releasing 2 AShMs and watching the trails lazily drift towards some random corvette.

Also I found a really dumb looking ATGM carrier that is actually really effective and would be even more so if I had my friend with me.

Update: Singlehandedly shat on the AI in an improved conquest mod, targeting shipping pays off, folks.

Finally done with Saiyuki: Journey West. Good game, even if some encounters can be a bit frustrating - though nothing on par with the likes of XCOM.

I've just slightly gotten back into playing my xbox... With the OG minecraft... The version that's no longer being supported and has the ability to create custom superflats, has a minigames section where you play locally, local splitscreen, support for guest accounts, host privileges, the OG zombie pigmen... All that wonderful nostalgic stuff... And also ARK: survival evolved which has local splitscreen, support for guest accounts, admin commands, the best character creation mechanics in all of video games...

The more I play Fallout Shelter and the more I feel like the microtransactions are not its biggest issue: the Infestation events are.

It is so infuriating when those happen and they start randomly spreading. If I try sending armed Vault Dwellers to an infested room, the critters will usually leave before they can even get there. Sometimes, you can have a room full of armed Vault Dwellers and the critters will seemingly never die, but some other time, a single armed Vault Dweller can make short work of the invaders. I am not sure if it is related to the size of the room they are in, but it is still maddening... although nowhere near as when after wrecking havoc throughout your Vault, the critters will suddenly stop attacking and the Infestation event will just end. It almost feels like the game is trolling you when that happens.

Since people have to be individually dragged and dropped from one room to another in order to be moved, it makes evacuating rooms so fucking tedious, especially when multiple room come under assault. I so wish there was some kind of "General Evacuation" command to force an entire room population to automatically move to safety or at the very least the ability to select multiple Vault Dwellers by dragging a box, like in real-time strategy games.

Paradoxically, the fact that there does not seem to be an option to buy your way out of these situations using real money makes me like the game more, as it tells me that the game ultimately is not that reliant on microtransactions after all and the hurdles I am facing can be overcome with effective planning. Right now, I am trying to stay as rich as possible so I have the funds to revive the inevitable downed Vault Dwellers, I have several extra Medbays to increase my Stimpak capacity and I have built Weapon Workshops in order to arm as many Vault Dwellers as possible.

Edited by Rudolph