Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

58 minutes ago, SFFlowerBoy said:

Been playing a bit of the castlevania advance collection, mainly Dracula X. It is my first classicvania type game so I am getting my ass beaten.

Although the SNES soundchip does justice to the soundtrack, Dracula X is considered to be an inferior port/remake of Rondo of Blood. Not that Rondo of Blood is not difficult too, but it is better made and also you can unlock a second playable character.

I did it, I have finally beaten Plutonia 2. It is good, but much like its predecessor, it can be quite exhausting with all the difficulty spikes.

On 1/10/2023 at 4:43 PM, Rudolph said:

Although the SNES soundchip does justice to the soundtrack, Dracula X is considered to be an inferior port/remake of Rondo of Blood. 

Yeah I heard as much. I find it weird that there is no official port of the pc engine game for modern Plattforms besides the requiem port exclusive to ps4.

8 hours ago, SFFlowerBoy said:

Yeah I heard as much. I find it weird that there is no official port of the pc engine game for modern Plattforms besides the requiem port exclusive to ps4.

There is also The Dracula X Chronicles for the Playstation Portable, which contains not only the remake and the original Rondo of Blood, but also Symphony of the Night.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:14 PM, Rudolph said:

There is also The Dracula X Chronicles for the Playstation Portable, which contains not only the remake and the original Rondo of Blood, but also Symphony of the Night.

Interesting. I will look into it.

A reworked version of Symphony of the Night, I should have specified: reportedly, they recorded a new English dub and redesigned Maria Renard - which is an addition from the Sega Saturn port - as a playable character.

Edited by Rudolph

Started playing Resident Evil: Remake. Good game, but those tank controls combined with the fixed camera angles are not easy to get used to. I do like the fixed angles and the suspense they contribute to, but like with every horror game, a scary encounter will stop being scary and start being rage-inducing after too many failed attempts.

Finally got around to playing Prey (2017).  It was alright.  Has some neat ideas, but it definitely runs out well before the finish.

11 minutes ago, ZethXM said:

Finally got around to playing Prey (2017).  It was alright.  Has some neat ideas, but it definitely runs out well before the finish.

What do you mean?

Just now, Rudolph said:

What do you mean?

Game starts strong with stuff like Mimics and the GLOO gun, but it hits its stride before the third act (especially in the threat department) and by the time Dahl showed up I was past ready for the game to be done.  Nothing super bad about it, but by then the core gameplay mostly felt like work, and stuff like the turrets you spend parts on just breaking when enemies respawn really puts me off.

Will say that what kept me invested enough to finish the game was figuring out the story.

6 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

@ZethXM Out of curiosity, have you played System Shock 2?

Not since it came out!  And only at a friend's place.  They had all the cool shit from around that time, like C&C Red Alert 2.  I remember being into what I did play, but haven't thought about it much since.

Silent Hill 2, with the additions from the Enhanced Edition fan project (like the PS2-quality FMVs that are really nice!). I have just completed it some minutes ago and this time I got the Rebirth ending which is the first time I get it. I love this game and I hope the remake by Bloober Team ends up doing right by it.

Since my PS5 came with God of War: Ragnarök, I finally decided to open my copy of GoW '18 and start that. It's been a very long time since I've played an action game like this, as I tend to gravitate toward platformers and shooters. So this whole close-quarters combat with dodge rolling and blocking thing is something I need to get used to. I imagine the combat is very Dark Souls-lite; idk, I haven't played any of those games. So far, I am enjoying it, even if I'm kinda sucking at the combat. I need to get out of button mashing mode. The game looks absolutely gorgeous, and I'm assuming the PS5 has upgrades for it. Love the whole presentation as a one-shot scene with no cuts during cutscenes. Very cool. I also really like the character interactions and relationships so far. I only ever played the original GoW on the PS2 back in the day, but I don't think that game had characterizations like this. It's definitely a more emotionally mature game for it. I just got to that big lake and woke up the giant snake on the back of the game case, so I'm not too far in. 

25 minutes ago, TJG1289 said:

I only ever played the original GoW on the PS2 back in the day, but I don't think that game had characterizations like this.

Yeah, the contrast is really outstanding, given how original Kratos was a permanently roid-raging insufferable self-righteous asshole.

Silent Hill 3. I really like that the PC port out of the box is way better than the shoddy one Silent Hill 2 had, and even though this is probably the fourth or fifth time I'm playing it all the way to the end, I got a really good scare yesterday while playing at night. That damn hospital...

Dota 2, only one more match win to get out of the Low Priority Matchmaking Pool.

Replaying through Half-Life 1 right now. It can be frustrating at times, but Xen is surprisingly nowhere near as annoying as I remember it to be.

Decided to try some old school rpgs I'd been collecting on GOG. First I played Ultima World of Adventures : The Savage Lands. Very old fashioned interface but an extremely impressive dialog system where you basically type in what you want to ask, nice pixel graphics and cool setting and story (think the Land Time Forgot). Unfortunately also extremely frustrating and very easy to get completely lost in the jungle. Combat's pretty basic also though the tribal magic used by combining skulls with reagents is pretty cool. I may return to this one but probably should of been writing notes and drawing maps it's that sort of game. If anyone likes the sound of it, it's free on GOG so at least worth a try.

Lately switched to Might and Magic 4 and 5 The World of Xeen. Not to be confused with the "Heroes of" series, these games are grid based dungeon crawlers in the style of Eye of the Beholder or the more recent Legend of Grimrock games. Graphics are pretty well drawn, gameplays quite basic but there are tons of spells and items to collect and two whole worlds to explore. You play all of 4 on one World then all of 5 on another, then when your finished both a final campaign unlocks that sees you traveling back and forth between the two. It's a little confusing sometimes, the games are very non linear and clues are well hidden but I personally enjoyed the lack of hand-holding and figuring things out. UI sucks though, I won't go into details but it's heavily flawed, I believe the intent was you could play with mouse only or keyboard only but I've found elements of both to be quickest. All in all, decent old school rpgs with surprising depth for such old games but also a ton of flaws. Can't be too bad though I've finished 4 now and playing 5, sunk around 50hrs so far.

Modern games or anything other than GZDoom and Zandronum or whatever I feel like playing on my DosBox or whatever emulator? Pretty much Absolutely Nothing. Negative. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. 

Last thing I played on my DosBox at the time of this comment is Blake Stone: Planet Strike (tried it for the first time, beat the first map on Veteran difficulty, first map spoiled Aliens of Gold for me, which I haven't currently gotten awfully far in either beyond my first secret level in the first episode)

Yeah just felt like posting in this thread as an excuse to confess that, when it comes to video games, I'm mostly out of touch with the modern/contemporary stuff outside of whatever I see or hear from on Discord or YouTube from friends or other random people.

I seem to focus more on movies, tv shows, and cartoons/animation nowadays.

I hope I ain't alone here. I feel like quite the oddball even on this forum lol.