Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, MrFroz said:

Playing Resident Evil: Code Veronica. I think it's a bit of a step down in regards to Resident Evil 3: Nemesis in terms of gameplay, I guess Capcom didn't want to tinker much with the gameplay given that they were making the leap to full 3D environments. I do appreciate the knife being much more useful than in previous games, as well as the more limited amount of ammo and ink ribbons, as opposed to the PlayStation games which I find to be too easy after having completed them many times.

The game is infamous for its softlocks, so be very careful.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

The game is infamous for its softlocks, so be very careful.

 

I have certainly noticed that happening in a previous playthrough where I got very close to the end but didn't finish it. Code Veronica is the only RE game besides Resident Evil 0 that features tank controls that I haven't played to death. I really liked what they achieved with the 3D environments and the more dynamic camera angles, and the constant switching between characters is also quite neat, although I wish the game dropped some sort of hint before transitioning in order to store items to use with the next character that you'll have to play with.

Share this post


Link to post

I really like RE 0, played the hell out of it on gamecube. Once you get off the train the game really opens up and the back and forth with Rebecca and Billy is a little bit better. 

Share this post


Link to post

Jedi Outcast, it's one of my favourite Star Wars games, but I'm having a try of it on the original Xbox. I noticed a few changes, particularly they made a really obtuse section where you had to wait for a platform to come out of a wall below a ledge at a precise second, this is at the mining level on Artis Prime. Anyone who's played will know what I'm talking about. Well this time I got stuck because they made that part different on consoles, you just go into a room and find the shaft.

 

It must have actually taken them some time to change that for the console port, but they probably guessed such nonsense hasn't been seen in a console game since the infamous Barrel section in Sonic 3. That said I love the game and the retro level design is part of the charm. It's still better than most modern games because you feel like you're overcoming something at every section of the game. You're almost always having to think in Jedi Outcast. Like a, well, jedi...

 

Anyway it looks excellent on Xbox One for and OG Xbox game, but it has been running a little choppy. I recommend the Switch Port or the Patched version wrapper for Windows, get the GOG version and find the wrapper. 

 

Aside form that, the graphics and atmosphere are just perfectly done, just like Knights of the Old Republic, all of the Star Wars games were so authentic at getting that Star Wars feel.

 

I was going to maybe buy Jedi Survivor today but I found out it wasn't out, so since I was in the mood I figured I would get Jedi Outcast for ten bucks and well, I kind of knew Jedi Outcast would be better anyway. It's never a waste of time to play Jedi Outcast.

 

It's made with the Quake 3 engine, so it's obviously a must play.

 

SW.png

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, MrFroz said:

I have certainly noticed that happening in a previous playthrough where I got very close to the end but didn't finish it.

I am impressed that you just did not rage-quit the game at that point. XD

 

I certainly did with Resident Evil Remake after dying an entirely avoidable death all because the game just will not let you aim for the fucking head... -_-

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I am impressed that you just did not rage-quit the game at that point. XD

 

I certainly did with Resident Evil Remake after dying an entirely avoidable death all because the game just will not let you aim for the fucking head... -_-


 

That’s ironic for me since I’m going back to the original Resident Evil’s after the RE2 remake, where pistol headshots did so little damage! I was so surprised, I had apparently been watching gameplay footage on the easiest setting prior to actually playing it.

 

I was still sold on it though, I valued how much a headshot still caused them to reel back so I could escape without getting bit. The game also made me understand how much zombies need legs, and I had fun having to keep track of those guys and which rooms I left them legless in.

 

Going in with that expectation and starting with Jill for the PSX original, I’m pretty surprised at how many heads I’ve been exploding with this shotgun.

 

Spoiler

Now I’m to the point where the hunters show up and oh boy these guys don’t mess around, OW.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, BGreener said:


 

That’s ironic for me since I’m going back to the original Resident Evil’s after the RE2 remake, where pistol headshots did so little damage! I was so surprised, I had apparently been watching gameplay footage on the easiest setting prior to actually playing it.

 

I was still sold on it though, I valued how much a headshot still caused them to reel back so I could escape without getting bit. The game also made me understand how much zombies need legs, and I had fun having to keep track of those guys and which rooms I left them legless in.

 

Going in with that expectation and starting with Jill for the PSX original, I’m pretty surprised at how many heads I’ve been exploding with this shotgun.

 

  Hide contents

Now I’m to the point where the hunters show up and oh boy these guys don’t mess around, OW.

 

Stop it... Don't open that door!

*le Hunter casually opening door behind you*

Hunters used to give me friggin' nightmares as a kid.  I still hate 'em.  Not scary now to me, but more the fact they could really easily ruin a run by deciding to oneshot you.  OG Resident Evil or Dualshock edition?

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, vyruss said:

Stop it... Don't open that door!

*le Hunter casually opening door behind you*

Hunters used to give me friggin' nightmares as a kid.  I still hate 'em.  Not scary now to me, but more the fact they could really easily ruin a run by deciding to oneshot you.  OG Resident Evil or Dualshock edition?

 

For something that initially just looks like a “swamp monstah” they are certainly causing an interesting feeling of panic and concern, not something I run into often with other games. 

 

I settled on trying out the OG western release. I think I have the director’s cut somewhere nearby but I really wanted to experience the initial version I was first exposed to.

 

I actually got into these “survival horror” games with Silent Hill 2 and it’s “2D control” scheme so many years ago. I’m surprised at how much I’m starting to come around to and prefer tank controls, they really complement these switching camera angles.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BGreener said:

That’s ironic for me since I’m going back to the original Resident Evil’s after the RE2 remake, where pistol headshots did so little damage! I was so surprised, I had apparently been watching gameplay footage on the easiest setting prior to actually playing it.

 

I was still sold on it though, I valued how much a headshot still caused them to reel back so I could escape without getting bit. The game also made me understand how much zombies need legs, and I had fun having to keep track of those guys and which rooms I left them legless in.

 

Going in with that expectation and starting with Jill for the PSX original, I’m pretty surprised at how many heads I’ve been exploding with this shotgun.

Is there a way to blow off their heads or legs without having to wait for them to be almost on top of you? That is the only way I have been able to do so and even that does not always guarantee a hit. And in Remake, if you do not blow a zombie's head off or burn the body, it will revive as a Crimson Head, which forces you to do even more backtracking and leads me to the other thing that really annoys me, i.e. the inventory management: a key will use the same space as a weapon and there does not seem a way to combine an item on the floor with one in your inventory.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Is there a way to blow off their heads or legs without having to wait for them to be almost on top of you?


Through the original RE I’m playing through right now? I’m not aiming much at their legs, just the heads with the shotgun, and so far only in close range with timing the “upaim” right before they strike - very satisfying.

 

The next weapon up that I’ve grabbed so far is the grenade launcher which has been one-shotting the zombies anyways and hasn’t needed any headshots, but I’m saving what I can for the hunters right now.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vyruss said:

OG Resident Evil or Dualshock edition?

I'd go with either the OG version or the Directors cut but not the dual shock edition initially as it has a new soundtrack which is legendary for it's controversey. It's got one or two awful tracks made by an infamous composer. So I actually would play it or check that out but definitely not first as it's not the original game in my opinion. It does have some interesting new bgms and one or two are better but nah, the new soundtrack was put in as a real botch just to have an excuse to sell it again.

 

You can find out more about this here, it's pretty hilarious honestly:

 

https://youtu.be/l9g-IQOB87s

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, BGreener said:

Through the original RE I’m playing through right now? I’m not aiming much at their legs, just the heads with the shotgun, and so far only in close range with timing the “upaim” right before they strike - very satisfying.

Oh no, I meant the GameCube Remake that has since been ported to the PC, notably. There is a lot to love about the game, but it is so infuriating to be unable to adjust one's aim vertically; it is not like the console was not equipped for that. :S

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Oh no, I meant the GameCube Remake that has since been ported to the PC, notably. There is a lot to love about the game, but it is so infuriating to be unable to adjust one's aim vertically; it is not like the console was not equipped for that. :S

 

Been a while since I played those but pretty sure you can aim up and down but only to a fixed point. So to headshot a close target you press fire as the up look starts, you get used to it but its not like the laser beam free look in 4 onwards. I think these games would be stupidly easy with modern controls, half the battle is with the controls.

 

Oh and I loved the inventory management in those games, it was a little game within a game. Trying for the 3hr finish for the rocket launcher, the inventory was the hardest enemy in the game, you had to really consider what you took.

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Wyrmwood said:

Been a while since I played those but pretty sure you can aim up and down but only to a fixed point. So to headshot a close target you press fire as the up look starts, you get used to it but its not like the laser beam free look in 4 onwards.

Yeah, I did just that and for the most part it seemed to be working well enough, only to randomly fail on one occasion and causing me to lose easily at least 30 minutes worth of progress. I had it at this point and I desinstalled the game because I was just not having fun anymore.

 

I am (mostly) fine with the tank controls and the fixed camera angles, but I do not understand why they did not let the players aim freely while maintaining the fixed camera angles; since it would have been much slower than pressing the aim assist button (which in turn would have been faster, but less precise), it would have been a fair compromise. It just does not feel right to me to be unable to properly aim for the head in a zombie game.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

It just does not feel right to me to be unable to properly aim for the head in a zombie game.


Some people can’t play Doom without some proper vertical aiming stating similar reasons, “don’t feel right”. Some people prefer how it’s initially meant to be played, some can’t, and both are okay. For RE games themselves there are plenty of other entries that give you that kind of aiming control.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BGreener said:

Some people can’t play Doom without some proper vertical aiming stating similar reasons, “don’t feel right”. Some people prefer how it’s initially meant to be played, some can’t, and both are okay. For RE games themselves there are plenty of other entries that give you that kind of aiming control.

Yeah, but what I meant is that given how much the game insists on the importance of aiming for the head, it is ironic that it actually will not let you do that. It is like having a stealth game that does not allow you to sneak. :S

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know if this will make it better or worse, but "headshots" in  that game are a crit chance that's extraordinarily low with the handgun (5%!). shotgun's the only weapon in the game where the direction of the gun and distance from the enemy matters. so if you ever go back to it, just keep that in mind and don't bother aiming up or down with anything else. 

 

as for my own gaming times, I'm slowly plodding through Doom 2 on UV (which I've never done before, only HMP), and after testing RAZE by "just playing the first level", I got four levels in and decided I was playing duke3D again. 

I do still intend to finish all of revelations raid mode some day. ...some day. eventually. probably. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

...Ouch. XD

 

How is your experience so far?

Just like when I played it for the first time... I just love it. While I know that the game had a very troubled development wich has litterd the game with bugs and stuff I love it as a game for its unique atmospere and that you are always in danger to die from anything or anyone.

 

While I like what the community mods have done for the 3 (now 4) games of the series I can't but love the original.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DeathWalkerGT said:

Just like when I played it for the first time... I just love it. While I know that the game had a very troubled development wich has litterd the game with bugs and stuff I love it as a game for its unique atmospere and that you are always in danger to die from anything or anyone.

 

While I like what the community mods have done for the 3 (now 4) games of the series I can't but love the original.

Ah, so you are familiar with the series. Good to know!

Share this post


Link to post

Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters. Have great memories of playing this in co-op mode with my siblings, now I have to make due on my own but I think the game still holds up really well. Currently trying to go quickly through the Aztec era since I don't like it much, but I recall the next ones being a lot more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post

A lot of WWE 2k23, I finished both story modes and now I'm really getting into the groove of the endless sandbox the game is. 

 

I also just finished chapter 2 of RE4make. It's not bad, now I'm definitely in a better mood and more up for playing something different. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Egyptian Guardian said:

Just Finished Dissolution of Eternity DLC for Quake. I'm about to start playing Scourge of Armagon. 

How are the DLCs so far? Compared to the base game

Share this post


Link to post

Resident Evil: Dead Aim. The zombies in this game really scare me. I also really like how seamlessly you can go from room to room and switching playable characters is also quite smooth. The save room music is great as well.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, KissTheCarpet said:

Marathon Infinity, kinda sus, feel like a traitor Among Us.

What do you mean?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×