Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

On 19/01/2018 at 4:15 AM, cyan0s1s said:

It's disheartening to hear The New Colossus being so meh seeing as the previous games were mostly pretty good. I wonder what happened during development.

Honestly, I think the problem is that it's basically the same game, but without the novelty that The New Order had or the exploration of a briefly-used theme that The Old Blood had. I know that I've struggled to get into it even though I was quite excited to buy it and I rather suspect that is because I've been given exactly what I wanted (i.e. more of the same) and so it feels like I've already played it. I'm sure I'll get through it once I get going, but with Forza 7 being such an attractive lure still (an example of "more of the same" being done well), it'll be a while yet!

Recently finished DmC: Devil May Cry and started on Vergil's Downfall. Also recently finished Turok on Hardcore difficulty, cheesed the Campaigner with all three shots of the Chronoscepter for the first time, felt good man. Been also playing Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, reached act III.

On 6/30/2017 at 5:57 PM, ShotgunDemolition said:

Currently playing Rocket League (it is fun doing all those try-hard accidental shots and goals) and Heretic (almost finished the first episode and it seems great so far).

FUCK Rocket League. That is all. Haha, it's a very frustrating game to play, especially if you have teammates that are terribly defensively AND think they can do mid-air shots ALL THE FUCKING TIME....ugggh, sorry for the rant/venting.

So, I'm one of those people that think Quake 2's difficulty is a joke, so I decided to revisit it with a few challenges:

• Hard+ skill
  • No BFG10K
  • No Quad Damage
  • No Invulnerability
  • No Adrenaline pickups
  • No Power Shield
  • No secrets

And holy shit... you can actually see the difficulty curve then! I died in this run. Do you have any idea of how many years have passed since a Quake 2 enemy was capable of killing me? When they actually shoot you on sight instead of just bouncing around hallways, they're somewaht dangerous! Who would've thought!

While not using Quad Damage, Invulnerability or the BFG and not getting secrets certainly helped raise the difficulty, I'm convinced the Power Shield is fucking broken. Seriously, don't use it. Just don't. I'll have to replay it again sometime without the challenges (maybe keeping Hard+) but without the Power Shiled just to make sure that's the whole issue.

I'll still take Quake 1 over the second game any day, though :P

Yep the Power Shield is OP AF. It's probably why Ground Zero doesn't have one in it period, at least when I played on Hard, and it was the toughest Q2 experience I had. Then again it did have some unfair new enemies like the BS turrets and the new weapons not being all that useful compared to The Reckoning.

But it also trivializes a lot of encounters when you can just store away power ups to use as a buster button, nullifying any challenge whatsoever. Yeah, Q1 is just the superior game altogether.

I think Quake 2 is the best example why an inventory is a bad idea. It might seem like a fun idea at first, but it makes the quad damage, invulnerability and the energy armor incredibly overpowered that even the beefier enemies can be killed in seconds. And if it wasn't bad enough, you can deactivate the energy shield without any negative consequences.

Have you tried to ignore the inventory, i.e. activate the powerup as soon as you pick it up and to keep the energy armor active after picking it up until the cells run out? That should mitigate the worst problems. I haven't tried that, but I usually do not use the energy armor at all.

6 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

FUCK Rocket League. That is all. Haha, it's a very frustrating game to play, especially if you have teammates that are terribly defensively AND think they can do mid-air shots ALL THE FUCKING TIME....ugggh, sorry for the rant/venting.

No problem!  :)

It's good to hear the other side of the story, because many times I would be the one to do the stupid failed jumps, in order to hit the ball and I was wondering what my teammates thought of me.

But I eventually found the perfect vehicle for me...

The van!

I am not kidding at all. When I started playing with it, I was hitting goals more frequently (due to larger vehicle size) and I even got a reverse goal. Plus, it is pretty speedy for a heavy vehicle.

I had great fun there.

But I haven't touched the game in months, so I might start replaying it sometime.

1 hour ago, Manuel-K said:

I think Quake 2 is the best example why an inventory is a bad idea. It might seem like a fun idea at first, but it makes the quad damage, invulnerability and the energy armor incredibly overpowered that even the beefier enemies can be killed in seconds.

Maybe it they took away the player's items after some point (like in Heretic and Hexen) it wouldn't be so bad. But yeah, Quad Damage + BFG10K and the Makron is dead in less that 30 seconds (it'd be even less if it wasn't for the animations lol).

1 hour ago, Manuel-K said:

Have you tried to ignore the inventory, i.e. activate the powerup as soon as you pick it up and to keep the energy armor active after picking it up until the cells run out? That should mitigate the worst problems. I haven't tried that, but I usually do not use the energy armor at all.

Hmm... maybe it would. I have to try that in the future. I hardly ever run out of cells though, since I mostly ignore the Hyperblaster and BFG.

14 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

But I haven't touched the game in months, so I might start replaying it sometime.

If you value your sanity, I wouldn't. The "teammates" kill it for me and I can't really play solo because I'm not good enough (I think). I somehow always get matched up against pro-level-e-sports players and my teammates are either new to the game, are AFK, dumb as a box of rocks (which is an insult to rocks everywhere) or a combination of all of these. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Chewyninja69 said:

If you value your sanity, I wouldn't.

Eh, in that case, I might just check it for one match or something, because I got curious.

Challenge Run Time!

I'm almost done with a SL1 Pyromancer run of Dark Souls. I've also started a SL3 Sorcerer and SL2 Cleric run as well. In terms of difficulty I'd say SL1 < SL3 <= SL2. I'm considering some challenges like Dagger-only, Fist Weapon-only, Gravelord Sword-only runs. I'm also working on a SL1 PBWT Demon's Souls run.

Also SSS-ranking DmC: Devil May Cry. Hell And Hell was a nightmare, Heaven Or Hell + Must Style was a nightmare, Gods Must Die + Turbo Mode is a nightmare, Dante Must Die + Turbo Mode + Hardcore Mode is a nightmare, Son of Sparda + Turbo Mode + Hardcore Mode + Must Style will be a nightmare. 

To relax I'm replaying A Hat in Time. So it's all balanced I guess...

I've played quite a few games in the last week...

Forza Motorsport 7 - yep, still plugging away here. Disappointingly I didn't have enough saved to have my brother buy the Specialty Dealer Lamborghini Reventon this week in my absence, so that's that missed for another few months at least. I've nearly completed the third cup of the six at last. This will get a lot more focus now that I'm not away from it 5+ days a week.

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack - I've beaten another two parks now, but the problem I'm mostly faced with is that, when they've built a park for you as a scenario, it's usually crap and you spend half of your time battling that. Only 4 more challenging parks left, then it's the "Real" and expert parks... The former of which are all likely to be crap timesinks.

Sniper Elite V2 (Xbox 360) - I beat this in about three sittings with the simulation and tactical indicators on the highest difficulty but the AI in the middle. I had my usual stealth game problem of not being much good at it, but the sniping was mostly fun and that's what it's really about. Blowing up tanks by hitting the fuel filler cap was a definite highlight. Especially on the last mission when I did it through a patrolling guards head.

Frontlines: Fuel of War (Xbox 360) - literally the most average shooter ever. I beat it in near enough one sitting... I liked the depth of backstory and how Tom Clancy it felt. The controls are very Halo (which meant the vehicles were a nightmare to get used to) and the general design feels like a Modern Warfare/Battlefield hybrid. However, on the highest difficulty the game does a remarkable job of feeling laughably easy whilst inflicting bullshit deaths on me just often enough to be frustrating. I like the set pieces, such as a tank battle within fallout range of a tactical nuking, or the game ending in a bloody march on Moscow to take Russia out of the war and isolate China. You end up battling in the streets of Moscow to take two key ministries with mushroom clouds blooming amongst the battles raging in the background. I will note that the soundtrack was much better than the game deserves, though.

Sega Megadrive Ultimate collection: E-SWAT: City Under Seige - The most obvious unlicensed Robocop game in the world, I suspect. On easy this platformer/shooter was still pretty tough. Particularly the last couple of levels for sheer difficulty and the third level, in which you have to try to adapt to suddenly being a bigger target that can't duck under shots anymore, but can hover/fly a bit. With some major save scumming, as the SMUC allows, I got through in about 2 hours (over half of that was deaths and trying again).

SMUC: Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head - I'm only about halfway through this bizarre platformer, but with saves this is pretty fun. Annoyingly taking damage takes away your better ranged weapon, so I'm treating this like I can't be hit once. The potions are all explained in-game, but for the life of me I don't know when they'd need using. The one that wipes out all enemies on the screen is pretty common, but pointless as everything respawns as soon as the screen goes away and comes back. Plus points for the relentless puns and being able to skip the second boss if you've explored the level before getting to him.

Hidden and Dangerous 2, love this game but it's just too bad it got overlooked since it was released around the same time as CoD1, it is a much better WWII game imho as it requires more strategy and careful tactics and isn't just run and gun like CoD1 is.

I played the first Hidden and Dangerous. And it was really great. A fantastic tactical shooter that I would recommend.

A lot of PUBG 

It is way more fun than I expected, even when I'm just playing hide and seek on my own, crouching in the corner of the bathroom of some house, chortling and farting to myself.

Beat Max Payne 2 not long ago, almost done with Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam, been playing Terran in StarCraft.

Dunno if it's the right thread to ask but does anyone play some Blizzard games? Would be cool to have some Doomworld guys on B.net. 

7 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

Dunno if it's the right thread to ask but does anyone play some Blizzard games? Would be cool to have some Doomworld guys on B.net. 

I have Diablo 2, but I have never tried going online. I wanted to finish it single player first and it has been some time since I last played with my Paladin (he is a Zealot in the making).

8 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

I only have Star Craft II and Diablo II, I would love to play a co-op game of DII.

Finished up The Last Guardian which kicked my heart in the ass several times. Am now on to Halo.