Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I got Brutal Legend a few months back, it looks awesome as hell and I want to play it, but it's either got hella pc requirements or is badly optimized.

It really shouldn't be, it was released on the 360. The updated version on PC was slightly upgraded, but it shouldn't take much to run it. Windows 7, Core2 duo at 2.5ghz, 2gb RAM, and a Geforce 650 are recommended specs for the game.

Edited by Jello

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Yeah that really doesn't make sense to me. It might have something to do with the game not playing nice with the AMD card, but it's still a 1GB card; same as the 650.

I'm running it on Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB RAM, GTX760 4GB, Core I7 4770 @3.4 GHZ, and it's a constant 60 FPS. Because it's limited to 60FPS, I'm sure I could run it at a higher FPS. But yeah, with your setup I really can't see a game this old running at 3 to 15 FPS. I wish I had more advice to give you, but, I don't see a reason why your computer shouldn't be running it just fine. Unless it's a compatibility issue with the video card.

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe that's the problem, isn't AMD cards that have finicky compatibility with games? I swear I've heard that from somewhere.
I figured Brutal Legend would run far better than something like Fallout 4, I get an easy 30-40fps in that.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Maybe that's the problem, isn't AMD cards that have finicky compatibility with games? I swear I've heard that from somewhere.

 

ATI/AMD's drivers have always been shit. I used an R7 250 a while ago and I had frame drops on fucking Terraria, while Intel's integrated graphics ran the game flawlessly. A specific version of the drivers also prevented GZDoom from rendering sprites.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

 

ATI/AMD's drivers have always been shit. I used an R7 250 a while ago and I had frame drops on fucking Terraria, while Intel's integrated graphics ran the game flawlessly. A specific version of the drivers also prevented GZDoom from rendering sprites.

Thats why I'm buying an Nvidia card for my next pc, nothing spectacular, probably a gt1030 or something, but I can't put up with the weird AMD compatibility for much longer.
The fact that it couldn't render 2D sprites at one point is both funny and sad.
If it wasn't for my igpu being shit on it's own, I would've just trashed the card by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I'm stopping my current 7 days to die game, satisfied with my progress and getting over dead be daylight so in the meantime I installed Mad Max again. Pretty decent game but I'm remembering how repetitive and tiring it can be.

Edited by Chezza

Share this post


Link to post

Currently fluctuating between Doom, Bloodborne and Diablo 3.  Three wildly different styles but hey.

Share this post


Link to post

Getting back into Quake duel.  So far my SR is mid-1500's in Quake Champions, a far cry from the 1900's I worked to in Quake Live.  

  

Gonna see how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Soul Reaver 2. 

I think Legacy of Kain is one of those series that gets overlooked way too much, good to see people still enjoy it. 
Curently forcing my Dell-O-Tater to run Skyrim SE.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I revisited Soul Reaver 1 about a month ago. I was a huge fan of it when it came out, but unfortunately, it hasn't aged well. The controls and combat are way too clunky, and the puzzles are tedious. Soul Reaver 2 plays a lot better, but it's unfortunately way too dark. I can't see jack or shit. Oh well, I'm primarily here for the story, and the Legacy of Kain series is superb in that regard. The voice acting also deserves a lot of recognition. 

Share this post


Link to post

I remember breaking a Ps2 memory card over one of sr2's puzzles, can't for the life of me remember which one though, tossed the controller on the floor and hit the console instead, disk drive never opened or closed right again either after that.
I only remember that because of how expensive those damned things were.

Share this post


Link to post

trying to clear the second loop on Dodonpachi (the most level I can get to is 2-3 on 1 credit, but i can finish first loop without bomb now).

 

the true final boss is really fun but to defeat him without losing much lives and bombs will be very hard XD

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Thats why I'm buying an Nvidia card for my next pc, nothing spectacular, probably a gt1030 or something, but I can't put up with the weird AMD compatibility for much longer.
The fact that it couldn't render 2D sprites at one point is both funny and sad.
If it wasn't for my igpu being shit on it's own, I would've just trashed the card by now.

I swore by AMD cards for quite a while, wouldn't even look at an NVIDIA. Then the driver support started sucking; games refused to run properly on them. I think it was when RAGE came out and it took months to get it working properly on AMD cards that I just said fuck it and bought an NVIDIA card. I've never looked back, and you probably won't either.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jello said:

I swore by AMD cards for quite a while, wouldn't even look at an NVIDIA. Then the driver support started sucking; games refused to run properly on them. I think it was when RAGE came out and it took months to get it working properly on AMD cards that I just said fuck it and bought an NVIDIA card. I've never looked back, and you probably won't either.

 

I was considering switching to AMD for my next PC (far future), because they do have some interesting features, but then I learned about their abysmal driver support and how OpenGL is on them. Yeah, whatever made me consider them in the first place, for the sake of trying something else than Intel/NVIDIA considering I have been using their products my whole life, is gone now.

 

NVIDIA's drivers have shitty bugs popping up every now and then, since I keep track of their releases the 4xx series has been pretty crappy as of late, and they apparently outright refuse to add support for features Linux has on Windows for a while (dithering is a prime example), but the overall support seems to still be infinitely superior.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, seed said:

but then I learned about their abysmal driver support and how OpenGL is on them.

 

Their OpenGL drivers are really bad. I have a laptop with integrated GPU (intel HD 620) and dedicated GPU (AMD radeon 530). The dedicated GPU is only roughly 20-25% faster than the integrated GPU, but nonetheless it should still perform better.

 

But NOOO. Most OpenGL stuff runs worse. And GZdoom runs roughly 50% slower on the dedicated GPU than on the integrated GPU.

 

Still AMD's future offerings are worth checking out. Especially their CPU side of the things. Quite excited to see the 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs + Navi GPUs and how they fare in the performance/price chart.

 

Edit: Also when GZdoom gets the Vulkan renderer, the performance for AMD will drastically improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Their OpenGL drivers are really bad. I have a laptop with integrated GPU (intel HD 620) and dedicated GPU (AMD radeon 530). The dedicated GPU is only roughly 20-25% faster than the integrated GPU, but nonetheless it should still perform better.

 

But NOOO. Most OpenGL stuff runs worse. And GZdoom runs roughly 50% slower on the dedicated GPU than on the integrated GPU.

 

Still AMD's future offerings are worth checking out. Especially their CPU side of the things. Quite excited to see the 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs + Navi GPUs and how they fare in the performance/price chart.

 

Edit: Also when GZdoom gets the Vulkan renderer, the performance for AMD will drastically improve.

 

Problem is, Vulkan will matter most to people who actually play plenty of games built on it. As I don't (and probably won't), Vulkan won't be that big of a deal for me. I'm also rarely playing anything in GZDoom as most stuff I check out is usually limit-removing or Boom-compatible, and not using any of its features or enhancements.

 

But you're right nonetheless. Their GPU driver support might be abysmal, but their Ryzen CPUs have received a lot of praise and are finally able to compete with Intel's, not to mention they are far cheaper, and in this day and age where almost everything is expensive, it's fantastic to have good, but cheaper alternatives.

Share this post


Link to post

Doom (2016), obviously, which nudged me to sign up here. It's the first FPS I am playing on my PS4, although I've played all PC-installments of Doom before. And buy, do I suck at aiming on the gamepad. :-D I noticed it says it has the “aim support” option on in the game menu but I am so bad that I didn't notice any support I was apparently given. 

 

I am also playing the latest AssCreed for mindless grinding, Styx: Master of Shadows when I want to stress myself with stealth and a couple of platformers, including completing the hardest challenges in Guacamelee 2. 

 

Damn, I really have to keep my currently playing list lower. :-(

Share this post


Link to post

After the kind of delays that one should expect from moving house, I've gotten back in the groove and beaten Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. A game that harkens back to the arcade score attack days and is therefore terribly frustrating as a result. There's no difficulty settings, but you get rated on a 1-10 star scale for the missions and a 1-3 star scale for the challenges. The missions are all over the place in terms of challenge, with the last mission being a severely time limited pain in the arse. The challenges are mostly very difficult and getting a good score would require learning them through repetition. Something I'm not doing, as I managed to unlock and score at least one star on everything.

 

Positive points? The relatively unique "hot swapping" mechanism of being able to switch which soldier you're controlling is kind of nice, and gives you a lives system in each mission which sometimes is effectively infinite. It mitigates the very rigid class system that the game has, although a lot of missions limit what classes are being spawned.

 

I really appreciated the story, with NATO and the PRC in a war over oil in Kyrgyzstan, which was presented through obviously biased news reports showing how propaganda changes perspective. The twist at the end with a Bond villain style third party trying to launch nukes after one side has defeated the other (you can play it either way, which changes the second to last mission entirely, but keeps the frustrating final one the same) is also pretty nice, albeit somewhat gratuitous.

 

 

Anyway, I moved on to Call of Duty 3 after that on the Xbox 360 and intend to play Battlefield 3 on the PC. The former I'm already halfway through, having dropped from Hard to Normal on the second mission so that the achievements for sticking to certain weapons were easier to get. I'm enjoying CoD3 so far, which isn't a surprise to me as they're generally fun single player campaigns. The less usual Canadian and Polish perspectives on WW2 are welcome!

Share this post


Link to post

I can't stomach another minute of Soul Reaver 2. The puzzles are insultingly easy, yet it's infuriatingly difficult to know where I'm supposed to go on account of how samey-looking and dimly lit the environments are. The swimming controls in this game are somehow even worse than the swimming controls in SiN. Combat's no party, either. This game can fuck off.  

Share this post


Link to post

Oof, yeah I was thinking of buying Soul Reaver 1 and 2 for nostalgia's sake, was it that bad?
I might have to reconsider...

Share this post


Link to post

Screw Fallout 3, I can't even get the damned Bethesda splash screen to come up.
Tried everything I can find to fix it's bad compatibility and absolutely none of it worked, I used to like it but now it just gives me a headache thinking about it, and I haven't actually seen the main menu since late in 2015, no point in bothering with the Xbox version either, apparently the dlc doesn't even work.
Bethesda needs to update their shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I am currently playing through Marathon 2: Durandal. I have encountered quite a few frustrating levels later on where I have even raged over them, and I haven't raged over a game in more than a decade and a half.

 

While the Marathon games do have some unique gameplay mechanics over Doom and the majority of 2.5D Doom clones, their level design is very mediocre and leaves a lot to be desired.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I am currently playing through Marathon 2: Durandal. I have encountered quite a few frustrating levels later on where I have even raged over them, and I haven't raged over a game in more than a decade and a half.

 

While the Marathon games do have some unique gameplay mechanics over Doom and the majority of 2.5D Doom clones, their level design is very mediocre and leaves a lot to be desired.

 

Never played the games, but the gameplay footage makes them out to look really, really dull.  

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Hey, you know what game doesn't suck? Member Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land for the Gameboy? What a delightful game this is. Excellent level design, fun enemies, lots of hidden secrets and treasure to search for, and a ton of personality. But I swear, the gambling minigame is rigged! Who doesn't love Wario?!

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Hey, you know what game doesn't suck? Member Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land for the Gameboy? What a delightful game this is. Excellent level design, fun enemies, lots of hidden secrets and treasure to search for, and a ton of personality. But I swear, the gambling minigame is rigged! Who doesn't love Wario?!

That was a really, really good game. I think I still have it around here somewhere. Might have to dust off the Supergameboy and give it another playthrough. It was far superior to Super Mario Land 2 in all respects. Because Wario is awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post

I beat Call of Duty 3 in the second sitting on Normal. Didn't get the "hidden" "achievement" for dying 20 times in one level and finishing it anyway, which I'm glad about. I kind of like the character driven stuff, to an extent, as it makes the game feel a bit more like a war film... Although the fact that you can just not look at what's going on is pretty dumb, particularly in the scripted cut scenes. Still, a pretty decent game!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2019 at 1:22 PM, Ajora said:

 

Never played the games, but the gameplay footage makes them out to look really, really dull.  

It's more the case of me wanting to play through 2.5D FPS games which I haven't played before, I probably won't pick the games up again after I finish them each. But there does appear to be multiplayer and I will probably try that out if there's a Co-Op mode.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×