Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Vigilante 8:2nd Offense, never played Twisted Metal until a short time after TM Black came out.
Vigilante 8 is like a 70's B movie set in the 70's with guns strapped to cars, as a kid, I couldn't ask for more.
V8 2 is still a 70's B movie set in....you guessed it, the 70's but now there's time traveling bad guys.
I miss vehicular combat games, the only thing close I can find today is Crossout, it's not bad but it's not the same for me.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:15 PM, wolfmcbeard said:

Bethesda needs to update their shit.

Careful with what you wish for. They might break things even more :)

On 3/28/2019 at 11:22 PM, Ajora said:

Never played the games, but the gameplay footage makes them out to look really, really dull.  

They're nothing to write home about in the gameplay or level design department, but they stand out as some of the first story-driven FPS games, with interesting characters and some pretty good writing. The atmosphere is really cool too, if strange.

Sekiro and apex legends. after this I'll prolly kick through my large resident evil backlog.

Nothing right now. Trying to decide if I want to play Morrowind or Oblivion, I keep both constantly modded and installed on my secondary HD. :P

I used to be very purist about RPG mechanics and so I hated Oblivion. Morrowind's clunky, and took time to grow on me, but it reached me at the right age. Now I just don't care anymore. Skyrim is still boring, right?

1 hour ago, StoneFrog said:

I hated Oblivion. Morrowind's clunky, and took time to grow on me, but it reached me at the right age. Now I just don't care anymore. Skyrim is still boring, right?

Skyrim is boring without mods, I can't even remember the last time I played it vanilla, I don't really mod Morrowind mainly because I haven't looked too much, still trying to build a good list for skyrim and New Vegas.
Got any recommendations for Morrowind?

Agreed. Vanilla Skyrim can be pretty boring.

After I completed all quests on my first playthrough years ago I came to the conclusion there just isn't a whole lot of content in the game, so after finishing everything once, you've also seen everything. My list of must use mods contained the Immersive addons (creatures, weapons, armors) and Revenge of the Enemies AI Overhaul (the rest I don't remember, but these were musts), which made some things real nuts, but also offered a challenge after reaching lvl 60 and higher. Which I really needed, after all, at the time I knew how to craft 147% Fortify Smithing potions (combined with the armor pieces and jewelry... I think it went over 300% total, you can just imagine how OP I was... Master difficulty was super easy at that point, but Legendary was cheap AF and annoying, as all it does is double everyone else's damage output and health).

Meanwhile, not playing but I've watched a walkthrough of Max Payne total. And unholy shit this game looks fantastic. I'm definitely getting the games when I'll have some spare money.

A rant: I got stuck at a certain part in Skyrim due to a bug so i restarted playing it with the unofficial patch and then just added a few enhancement mods such as a mod to keep track of what books i had read/picked up, lanterns in the streets, better readable signs ect.

I was playing it on XB1 so it was the "Special Edition" and it was my first time playing it so i couldn't no clip or reset the AI to fix 'em so i had to restart. Luckily you can mod that version so i had to "study up" on mod load orders and i added a few things and it ran pretty really good. It was actually my first time playing Skyrim (this was last year too believe it or not) but i sunk about 200+ hrs into it and i played as an Orc haha!

I still am not too fond of Morrowind since i played it on Xbox although i really love the atmosphere & OST. I can't stand the combat and how it's based off of dice rolls or w/e. I had played it on Xbox back in 2003/2004-ish and damn was the load times slow. Stealing things was so much fun though as well as being a vampire (i think that happened to me). The journal was confusing as all hell too. I didn't mind reading things instead of hearing people talk, it was just that keeping track of quests was so damn tedious. Even the Xbox version of the GOTY edition didn't fix that for some reason.

I played Oblivion on my laptop and thought that was pretty fun although i played it years after it came out, probably 2012/2013. Combat was heaps better for me since i'm more into combat/melee then magic anyways and i didn't grow up playing the 90's ones so the way those ones work is rather confusing too me. So the more "casualness" of Oblivion and Skyrim is something that i rather liked, not that Morrowind is bad. I'll probably replay it someday on PC this time with a few "enhancement" mods and i'm sure i'll really like.

New Vegas on XBOXOne since my old 360 save is permanently lost to a dead machine. :(    Oh well, the game is still fun and I get to play with the dlc this time around so it will have some surprises in it for me.   

This is another game I've tried modding for but need to dedicate a year just to figure out the editor (at least it feels that way to me, even after watching the videos).

Posted (edited)

@CyberDreams Oblivion never really appealed to me, so I don't regret missing the opportunity. Besides, I've heard it's just as crash happy as the original 32-bit version of Skyrim. CTDs are the main reason why I have prevented myself from reinstalling Skyrim as much as I would have liked to replay it recently, but I absolutely cannot stand just how unstable that thing is, especially with mods. That, and mods are always a risk with these games, I had a few save games corrupt after putting dozens of hours in the characters, such as a level 100+ Dunmer.

Morrowind is great, and honestly, it appeals to me more than Skyrim did. Hell, I'm going as far as to say I almost take Dragonborn's Solstheim over the entire base game. I just love the enemies, characters, and amazing atmosphere, it's brilliant. Bethesda did a great job at re-imagining parts of Morrowind in Skyrim. Too bad Skywind is not coming out anytime soon iirc :(.

But there's no need to pretend anything here, the dice combat in Morrowind is shit. It's a great game, but all have their own shortcomings. No game is flawless.

Posted (edited)

OpenMW (Open Morrowind) is a much better project than Skywind, it aims to open source Morrowind's engine and will allow further possibilities for the game, Skywind is held back by Skyrim's engine limitations and many things unique to Morrowind can't be implemented. Skywind will simply be an inferior version of Morrowind with high graphics.

1 minute ago, Avoozl said:

Open Morrowind is a much better project than Skywind, it aims to open source morrowinds engine and will alow further possibilities, Skywind is held back by Skyrim's engine limitations and many things unqiue to Morrowind can't be implemented. Skywind will simply be an inferior version of Morrowind with high graphics.

On Morrowind's engine? But wasn't it inferior to Skyrim's?

Posted (edited)

OpenMW is not Morrowind's original engine, it's an open source recreation of it. Of course Skyrim's engine is more advanced than Morrowind's original engine but many things unique to Morrowind weren't present and would need to be hardcoded into the engine in order to work, but that's not happening any time soon since bethesda haven't released Skyrim's source code, this is why I said Skywind would be held back by Skyrim's engine limitations and be an inferior version of Morrowind.

Edited by Avoozl

32 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

haven't released Skyrim's source code

I don't remember any source code release for a TES game, although that would be a very good idea to provide the possibility to fix all the engine bugs.

---

The next release of OpenMW will have shadows and a better navigation system for the NPCs.

Might try OpenMW, as for the roll of dice combat, I can tolerate it, but I use a mod called accurate attack I think
Don't get me started on Dagerfall, just getting it running was a pain in the ass (I'm bad at using DOSbox) but it's combat is just one thing I can't get over...come to think of it, DF was around the Doom era, any source ports for it? (I'd google it but I'm going to bed)

Posted (edited)

Keep in mind that OpenMW is not done yet but you can still try it out. As for Daggerfall you might be interested in Daggerfall Unity.

OpenMW and Daggerfall Unity are pretty much the only things TES related which I look forward to these days.

Edited by Avoozl

There was a guy making DaggerXL, in the years before Daggerfall Unity, and it looked really promising. I used to post on the old forum.

I'm excited for Tamriel Rebuilt (Morrowind) so, who knows? Maybe by the time TES VI has come out I'll be too busy trying to recreate Morrowind in Daggerfall...

Since beating Call of Duty 3 I've been on a bit of a spree. Aside from my continued racking up of points on Forza Horizon 4, I've also beaten the campaign on Battlefield 3 (PC), Kid Icarus (on the NES Classic Mini), Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection on XBox 360) and beaten the first 3 stages of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (also SMUC), collecting all of the chaos emeralds early on.

Battlefield 3 was just a genuinely good game and a very welcome change from how much I didn't like 2: Modern Combat on the XBox 360. Improved graphics (massively, running everything maxed out at 4k on my PC), better controls and handling (a bit more like CoD) and a much more plot-driven campaign with less unwelcome arcade score attacking.

Kid Icarus is a shining example of why old games aren't fun anymore, as falling off the bottom of the screen on half of the levels kills you despite the fact you just climbed from there, it starts off brutally hard with an under-powered player character and it's only the save states of the NES Classic Mini that even gave me half a chance. In the end, I tried out the "cheat" password from the walk-through I was looking at, which maxed out health and strength (attack power) whilst also equipping all weapons and maxing out all pickups (effectively granting infinite health). This didn't exactly trivialise the game, but addressed some of the issues I had with it, giving me a more modern experience where I could checkpoint myself at certain points of each level and then had a decent fighting chance of making it through the nastier bits. All told, I didn't like the game and didn't mind cheating to beat it. The Eggplant Wizards in the fortresses are frustrating and the game deals way too much damage to the player, making the health system something of a joke. Still, that's 1986. Games were made to steal money from kids through repeated attempts... Even on home consoles.

Dr Robotnik's MBM is a fun falling-blocks (beans, in this case) puzzle game where you match colours in patterns of 4, in competition with an opponent (AI or otherwise), with a really tough campaign. I went through on Easy in the end after Normal turned brutal remarkably quickly. It was still a tough game that had me using save states to checkpoint the start of each new match (rather than relying on what I suspect were limited continues). I liked that the opposing AI personality had an impact on how they played and that their animated portraits reflected how they thought they were doing. The fact that larger matches messed with the other player can get a bit silly, but once you've learned the game a bit you sort of can deal with it.

Sonic 2 is a classic platformer that I'm really enjoying, merely using save states to cut the lives system out of the game for enjoyment purposes. I did also use the save states on the special stages to beat them. I don't think having access to Super Sonic will change much for me as the game gets harder and the rings are more difficult to keep hold of, so I figured I'd overcome the challenge by learning and trial and error to get more out of the game.

As well as continuing on with Sonic 2, I've lined up Battlefield 4 (PC), Galaga (NES classic mini) and Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES classic mini... Also, what a ridiculous name) to take on.

Posted (edited)

@phobus Nah, old games are the best. The first world of Kid Icarus is very difficult, but if you can get past the first two worlds then you're in the home stretch as the game gets significantly easier and easier the further it progresses. For the most part, I didn't find Sonic 2 terribly difficult, but the final boss kicked my ass and I eventually wound up setting up a save state right before him. Comparatively, the final boss battle in Sonic CD was insultingly easy. 

I'm of two minds about the original Syndicate. On the one hand, the pathfinding sucks, it's uncomplex, the AI is idiotic, the vehicle controls are crippled, certain sections aren't on the vertical plane they appear to be on, and the economy is broken. Technically, I'm playing the game right now as I have the game running in a window, while I sit back and rake in my tax revenue. I'm apparently the most charismatic human being alive because for all the grievances the UK has with the European Union, they're "very happy" with me taxing them for 30% of their entire worth. Buildings obscuring targets is also a huge problem and has often resulted in mission failures beyond my control.

And yet for all its faults, I find myself always wanting to play more of this game, even though a part of me keeps telling myself not to. It's an extremely charming and immersive game and really gives you the feeling that you're operating within a living, interconnected world. For all his present misgivings, Peter Molyneux had some truly brilliant ideas in the 90s, and a lot of the charm and imagination found in Dungeon Keeper can also be found here. I don't know if I'm going to play through the entirety of it or not, but I have for the most part enjoyed my time spent with Syndicate, even though it doesn't actually play very well and is replete with problems. Hail Cobra. 

Edited by Ajora

Dark Souls Remastered. It's p fun, never played the DS series, and decided to give it a whirl before I try Sekiro. I've got a lot to get through (kind of dreading DS2, I hear it's hard just for the sake of it and I'm having enough trouble with DSR). Really enjoying the level design and general atmosphere. I'm in Blight town right now, and even though I don't have the luxury of the original experience (low framerate, etc.) I can see where it gets its reputation. This is the first single player game in years that had me vocal about what's happening in the game, whether it be the excitement of beating a boss or the devastation at losing 10k+ souls. So yeah, sorry about being late to the party, but Dark Souls is good.

Also, I've been playing Overwatch. Haven't played it in about a year or so, so seeing all the new characters is pretty cool. I like Ashe, because she has a pretty versatile move set and a high dps output. Casually playing this game really reminds me of playing TF2 back when I was in high school. You hop on a PUB with a friend or two and just fuck around. I'm a big fan of games where you can just turn your brain off and casually play while listening to podcasts or talking with someone. Haven't tried competitive, it just doesn't interest me whatsoever. The art is probably one of the biggest selling points, it's a great looking game with vibrant colors. Great game to wind down with after work.

@Ajora It's that lack of a traditional difficulty curve that makes Kid Icarus a bad game IMO. I agree with you on Sonic 2 - having no rings for Metal Sonic and the Robotnik Mech makes those two fights pretty tough. I would argue that the level before was also pretty hard and, without save states, collecting the chaos emeralds would be very tough. Still, with save states and perseverance, the game is very possible to complete, and I wouldn't need them just to beat the game, I reckon.

I've beaten the high score of 30000 on Galaga, amusingly subtitled "Demons of Death" in America. Only took me about 6 attempts over half an hour to get there. Pretty simplistic, but a good mechanic that is enjoyable enough. I think my next NES Classic game will be Punch-Out!!! Starring Mr. Dream. No Mike Tyson for me...

My girlfriend has encouraged me to get in on her PS4 collection too, so that's another 8 games or so on my list. I'm starting with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, as I only recently beat CoD3. It's harder than I remembered, but looks incredible and is the modern classic I was expecting, so that's cool.

Posted (edited)

DOOM '16 'no upgrade' run on UV. Mostly. I rounded armor off at 100 because 50 bothers me, and the first player upgrade is mandatory to finish the second level. Otherwise no weapon mods / alt-fires, no health or ammo boosts, no rune enhancements, as close to the 'vanilla' game as possible. It's pretty damn fun actually, just reached the first Hell level. So far not too challenging, but some much needed additional tension, and an increased risk of failures if playing carelessly. Ammo is limited with the default values, which I like.

E: Also using centered weapons, for that nostalgic vibe. I also shun glory kills, so I just blast enemies to pieces. The chainsaw is fine, though, same with the berserk and any other power ups for that matter.

This last days I played to X-piratez, a total conversion mod of UFO enemy unknown which can only works with Openxcom, an enhanced source port.
Currently I pass the first four months of the game and the last mission was a real pain in the ass because of a assault rifle dude, the last standing ennemy of the mission, before, the other enemies has been dazed and deprived of their weapons.

Firstly it was impossible for my pirates mutant soldiers to get closer of him without pass away so the best solution was to wait until he wasted all this ammo.
After the duck shot session my soldiers were able to get closer of him, the revenge was close but after several dozens hits of baseball bat agaisnt him, he was still standing, so I understood he was resistant to daze dommage like the necropirates I met in one of the previous mission, fortunately after the necropirates meeting I equipped all my soldiers of daggers in their inventory.
Finally one of my soldiers stabbed him with one hit of dagger and he instantly died, end of the mission.

I'm still playing through that Enderal TC for Skyrim since it appeared on Steam. It's pretty decent but I think I'm finding the whole arcane fever thing to be a bit annoying. I guess it's supposed to stem your overuse of potions and magic but I find I'm using the magic I want to use anyways and just have this silly fever mechanic to deal with. Good thing my Rockjoint doesn't keep getting worse when fighting all these wolves. I'd hate to have to drink a pile of cure disease potions to keep it down.. haha. Other than that it's pretty fun, but the game could use more mod compatibility. I'd actually be tempted to design a few locations for it but can't be arsed to go through the agony of setting up the editing tools for it.

Hexen, now that a new version of GZDoom with a much-needed hardware gamma fix got released.

And I'm enjoying it, reached the swamp portion again, now it's time to beat it. I'm playing as a Fighter this time around since those centaurs were quite annoying when I was a Cleric.

28 minutes ago, seed said:

Hexen, now that a new version of GZDoom with a much-needed hardware gamma fix got released.

And I'm enjoying it, reached the swamp portion again, now it's time to beat it. I'm playing as a Fighter this time around since those centaurs were quite annoying when I was a Cleric.

So u already started playing it. Nice.

Also I recommend to save scum at hub 4. It has potentially gamebreaking bug near the end of that hub(boss fight area) in the Gibbet map. To avoid the bug, you will have to keep 3 Chaos Serpents alive in the throne room.

For skills 1, 2, and 3, you just need to wait a few seconds after the 3 Chaos Serpents appear (don't kill any though) before the doors open. For skills 4 and 5, 4 Chaos Serpents appear instead of 3, so you'll need to kill one AND ONLY ONE if the doors are to open.

31 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

So u already started playing it. Nice.

Also I recommend to save scum at hub 4. It has potentially gamebreaking bug near the end of that hub(boss fight area) in the Gibbet map. To avoid the bug, you will have to keep 3 Chaos Serpents alive in the throne room.

For skills 1, 2, and 3, you just need to wait a few seconds after the 3 Chaos Serpents appear (don't kill any though) before the doors open. For skills 4 and 5, 4 Chaos Serpents appear instead of 3, so you'll need to kill one AND ONLY ONE if the doors are to open.

Yeah, since Adonis is done I thought it was good to change some things and play something else before moving on with more Doom stuff, and now that 4.0.0 is out, that something else is Hexen.

I did see some mentions of that glitch, noted for when I get there.

Finished Sekiro today, now starting Yakuza 0.  A co-worker wanted me to try it and I've never played one before so we'll see how that goes.

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2019 at 11:07 PM, Egg Boy said:

Dark Souls Remastered. It's p fun, never played the DS series, and decided to give it a whirl before I try Sekiro. I've got a lot to get through (kind of dreading DS2, I hear it's hard just for the sake of it and I'm having enough trouble with DSR). Really enjoying the level design and general atmosphere. I'm in Blight town right now, and even though I don't have the luxury of the original experience (low framerate, etc.) I can see where it gets its reputation. This is the first single player game in years that had me vocal about what's happening in the game, whether it be the excitement of beating a boss or the devastation at losing 10k+ souls. So yeah, sorry about being late to the party, but Dark Souls is good.

DS1 is great until you reach Lost Izalith, and some parts of the Tomb of the Giants is incredibly frustrating. The Great Hollow can fuck right off too.

If you ever get the chance, play Demon's Souls. If you think DaS1 is difficult, Demon's Souls is on a whole other level. I'm cringing at the thought of going through the Valley of Defilement or Stonefang Tunnel again. It's a fantastic game though, with a lot of cool ideas for its time (facing the Old Monk, who was actually controlled by another person online), the world tendency system, and the Nexus central hub. The former two aren't the same now unfortunately since the servers for Demon's Souls are gone, but it's still worth a play.

3 hours ago, R4L said:

DS1 is great until you reach Lost Izalith, and some parts of the Tomb of the Giants is incredibly frustrating. The Great Hollow can fuck right off too.

If you ever get the chance, play Demon's Souls. If you think DaS1 is difficult, Demon's Souls is on a whole other level. I'm cringing at the thought of going through the Valley of Defilement or Stonefang Tunnel again. It's a fantastic game though, with a lot of cool ideas for its time (facing the Old Monk, who was actually controlled by another person online), the world tendency system, and the Nexus central hub. The former two aren't the same now unfortunately since the servers for Demon's Souls are gone, but it's still worth a play.

Right now I'm at the Smough and Ornstein fight, I've been playing without the online functionality, but for this fight, I summoned Solaire the first time I fought them and got to the second phase first try. I'm not usually the type for hard games but something about DS1 is really immersive and I get excited every time I beat a boss. I can only play about 3 or 4 hours a day before I get frustrated, after that point it just stops being fun. But other than that, I've been having a blast. I do have a ps3, so I could play Demon's Souls and I'll definitely consider it once I beat the Dark Souls games.