Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

I'm currently playing persona 3 portable and far cry 3, quite a weird combination of games.

I also have a lot of games that i put on hiatus like fallout 4, doom 64 (a replay in this case) and wolfenstein 3d.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:21 AM, seed said:

I always found it interesting how the game actually punishes you to an extent if you don't play on the highest setting, as not only do the enemies' shots not register sometimes, but neither do yours, so it works both ways, you're not doing yourself much of a favor to play on lower skill settings in this series.

Yeah, I eventually figured that out in Shadow of Chernobyl. I played it for a few hours on normal, and I kept wondering why I could empty a magazine into someone at point blank range and only hit them a quarter of the time. So I did some searching and realized how messed up it's hit detection inherently is. I downloaded a mod that changed the hit detection to the same algorithm it uses on the highest difficulty setting regardless of which setting you choose, and I loved the Hell out of that game. I didn't feel like I was cheating, because the enemies hit chance was also increased accordingly; so I could hit them, they could hit me. I still can't understand why they went that route with the hit detection; a first person shooter isn't fun if you can't hit the people who are trying to kill you.

Absolutely amazing game though, one of my all time favorites. The atmosphere is so depressing, oppressive, and overwhelmingly dreary that you could cut it with a knife. And it's really impressive how they managed to make you feel overpowered by the end, without making the end too easy. The start of the game is just a struggle to get through, but by the end you have enough supplies and equipment to make you feel like a demi-god. But you still have to watch your ass in Pripyat. I'll have to play through it again some time.

I loved Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyart, I could easily add one of them to my top ten favorite FPS games.

6 hours ago, Jello said:

Shadow of Chernoby - The start of the game is just a struggle to get through, but by the end you have enough supplies and equipment to make you feel like a demi-god.

I almost gave up at the end as I was ambushed and I thought there was no way out but I managed it eventually, then I got a gauss gun and I was blowing people away for fun. I love how unforgiving SoC is. You really need to put in work if you want to get anything out of the game. I'm hoping STALKER 2 can give players the same sense of dread and hopelessness that I got from SoC.

14 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

I almost gave up at the end as I was ambushed and I thought there was no way out but I managed it eventually, then I got a gauss gun and I was blowing people away for fun. I love how unforgiving SoC is. You really need to put in work if you want to get anything out of the game. I'm hoping STALKER 2 can give players the same sense of dread and hopelessness that I got from SoC.

The fact that it's so unforgiving is exactly why I fell in love with it. It just wants to hate you the entire time, so when you do succeed it feels really good. 

I've returned on playing SMT IV after a while and I've been trying to beat the all the DLC Bosses (the four Archangels, Ancient of Days, Sanat, Masakados). I've defeated Sanat just now and he was a pain in the ass, it took me three tries to beat him. I really hate Gaea Rage and he loves spamming it, for those who don't know it deals heavy Almighty damage (an element that no one can null or resist) but also can get demons Lost (they get blown away from the battlefield and you have to go through an encounter to get them back). Sanat also nulls everything but Gun and Almighty.

Since I was always the last one left in the fight, I decided to grind to level 99 (Sanat was 95) and upgrade Megidolaon to +7 (could have maxed it to +8 but I was already broke). My party was Ancient of Days, Vishnu, and Shiva. Because they either get Lost or die in the first few turns, their only purpose is to buff me and debuff Sanat. I didn't bother charging up Megidolaon since it was already dealing a good amount of damage . After Vishnu and Shiva got Lost and Ancient of Days got killed, I took on Sanat solo. 

The entire battle at that point was me and Sanat throwing attacks at each other, he spammed Gaea Rage for all his turns (he gets to act three times in one turn) and I was spamming Megidolaon at him. When I was low at health or MP, I would heal up and continue attacking him. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, I managed to finally beat him and it felt great. Here's a pic of his defeat:

Spoiler

sanat.png.af4978f78992c024e8607c34bdc4c538.png

This fight had worn me out so I stopped playing after that. I'm going to take on Masakados tomorrow so hopefully I can beat him too.

Edited by BrassKnight

Started playing Doom II on the XBOX last night for some easy achievements (plus I wanted to shoot things).   Pretty good port but I still prefer the PSX version of Doom so far (movement and weapon switching seemed better on PSX).  

Replayin' Duke Nukem 3d and it's expansion paks. I've never beat Duke Nukem 3d, I just left it in 2016.

I'll also play God Of War 5 and TitanFall 2.

I'm thinking of trying to climb that Hexen hill one more time, from the start. I've made it to hub 4 in the past, so I'm blooded, but I was just too weak to finish.

Maybe this time I'll do it. 

Its a game where I really do run the gamut emotionally, I guess its like only Dark Souls except I don't hate it and wish all the posers would shut up about it and stop comparing it with everything. 

The next post is going to say "Hexen is the Dark Souls of Doom games" and I want you to know I want your head to explode as you type it.

:P

I wanted to quickly get my 900th post, so I'm just gonna say Duke 3D: World Tour for PS4, and celebrate my accomplishment!

Having finished all of Serious Sam Fusion 2017 up to BFE, I'm now playing BFE. It looks even better than I remember, and is a lot of fun (secrets are fucking EVERYWHERE!), but I can feel a difference in tone between "Serious Sam 1" and Serious Sam 3 that is reflected in everything. Mechanically, the two games are quite similar, although the "fun with gravity" and other more video-game physics challenges have been left behind, as (obviously) have the power ups from TSE.  In a lot of ways, the actual game play harks back to TFE, strangely enough, with lots of individual close-range ambush Kleers in response to you finding secrets. There's even some of the silly "grab one health potion, deal with Major Biomechanoids up close" stuff going on still!

One thing that does seem to have changed in the years since I last played SS3 is that some of the enemies now have special attacks (apparently this limited to Serious difficulty). The main ones I've noticed are the Kleers having a horizontal, electrified version of their ranged balls-and-chains attacks (still done in pairs), the Beheaded Rocketeers occasionally firing homing missiles (truly concerning to have a few of those looping round you - they seem to climb though, which is odd), the Spiders (both hatchlings and juveniles) are firing off blue-green fast shots every now and then (they seem to need to charge them?), which aren't following the normal trajectory, and the Minor Biomechanoids letting loose with a sprayed arc of lasers. Gnaars seem to have a super punch (animation, at least) that they're letting off, but it doesn't feel like changed behaviour like the other three I mentioned do. Can't say I've noticed the Kamikazes, Werebulls, Witch-Harpies, Major Biomechanoids or either Arachnoids doing anything different, although the Biomechs seem to be a lot more free and easy with their continuous streams of rockets than before - I feel like they only used to do that on low health (aside from the boss fight one).

Still, halfway through and I've been checking a guide to keep on top of the secrets (I've done a legitimate run multiple times, so why not grab the hidden early/extra weapons?), so I'm nearly at the Space Monkeys... Which suck still, I suspect.

Just started Blasphemous, Was on the fence about it as I didn't enjoy Deaths Gambit at all and it looked very similar. 

However it's the closest I've played to SotN which really surprised me and would recommend checking it out. The pixel art is gorgeous and some of the music has reminded me of Diablo. 

It even beats out Bloodstained for me. 

(It's also just received a free update which adds quite a lot)

Got up to halfway through the final level on SS3: BFE before running out of time. Weirdly, the space monkeys weren't that bad, for the most part. Still the odd moment where one of them is hidden in a grid of pillars and not keen to come out, but it seems like going in aggressively with the shotgun and knowing roughly what height they operate at takes a lot of the tedium out of them. Still the worst part of the game, comfortably, IMO, but at least I'm better at dealing with them. On top of the notes I had above about enemy behaviour, I've seen Scrapjacks launching volleys of grenades, which is one of those attacks that looks threatening, but is pretty easy to avoid and they often bounce past harmlessly. I'm not entirely certain the Technopolips used to fire rockets on Serious either, but they've been doing it now, although it's more their manoeuvrability that makes them difficult still - very easy to miss them with the explosives. Looking forward to finishing up and getting on to Jewel of the Nile, then I'm ready to wait for SS4. Shame I'm pretty busy at the moment, or I'd get more gaming done...

I did finish Hexen, for the first time. The last hub was rather thankfully straightforward. And I had a blast, I really appreciate the game's qualities, and appreciate how much more advanced its environment design is compared to Doom vanilla (before the community started regularly making stuff like that), and also unlike Heretic it doesn't really feel like a Doom clone as such, it has its own feel.

Makes me sad we didn't see Hecatomb. 

3 hours ago, hybridial said:

I did finish Hexen, for the first time. The last hub was rather thankfully straightforward. And I had a blast, I really appreciate the game's qualities, and appreciate how much more advanced its environment design is compared to Doom vanilla (before the community started regularly making stuff like that), and also unlike Heretic it doesn't really feel like a Doom clone as such, it has its own feel.

Makes me sad we didn't see Hecatomb. 

I would've been fine even with a Hexen 3 honestly. I hated some of Hexen 2's maps due to their obtuse nature though, the Egyptian hub had some stinkers and the castle maps... don't get me started...

I definitely like Hexen as a game more than Heretic too, it's much more unique and while sure not without issues, it's a really underappreciated game. I wish more people would map for it.

Finally got myself to seriously play Mental Omega mod for C&C Yuri's Revenge. I think any fan of Command & Conquer series should definitely give it a try.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:36 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

Post count doesnt matter, people arent gonna judge you on that

Anyway steam had all the SEGA Genesis games in a $15 bundle pack and i considered that a steal, been running through the Golden Axe series and Kid Chameleon  

I have a lot of bad games I want to play just to experience them.

I just finished Deus Ex Invisible War, I will be forever baffled on who thought that drek was acceptable, genuinely awful story, shoddy gameplay and horrendous stealth, ghoulish.

Now I play Daikatana.

Everyone who said this isn't as bad as everyone says it is has lied to me, I was assassinated by 2 elevators, had an army of enemies stuck on at doors at least 4 separate times and had my save corrupted because I saved on a lift (because I didn't trust it).

Ghost Recon Breakpoint, got it for $10 on console... I was a huge fan of Wildlands, so I decided to finally get Breakpoint during a sale.

What to say about it... well, it's got fun action and gameplay elements. A lot of potential for character customization, a lot of tactical choices, and survival elements throughout. It plays like a hybrid of The Division 2 and Wildlands. Basically, it involves a crapload of RPG elements mixed with an arcadey open world shooter like Red Dead Redemption.

It's not for everyone, especially if you're looking for a straightforward, simple shooter... but it's pretty fun, I'll say that.