Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Only just found Project Warlock on PS4, Holy shit it's good, really scratchs that Doom feeling. 

Does Ion Fury ever go on sale? 

Been playing the pants off Pokémon Red and Blue (the old gen 1 ones) recently :-D

Man it brings back so many good childhood memories :’-D

Even remembered how to do the Missingno. and Mew glitches 15-20 years later XD

Duke 64 via Rednukem.

This version of Duke is quite nice honestly, with its difference to the maps, weapons, and sprites. The sprite work is definitely better here than it ever was on the PC version, particularly the Troops, who seem to be based on an old design from back when they were blue, much their features are a lot more detailed now than ever.

The new effects are pretty cool too, although they can sometimes make seeing things a bit more difficult, notably bosses, but not to extreme levels. The RPG was also replaced with a grenade launcher of sorts in this version, and the Chaingun is now an SMG akimbo.

Some maps reference areas seen later in the game, while others make an early entrance, like a Duke Burger building already existing and being visited as early as E1L2, which was also renamed from Red Lights District to Gun Crazy.

Some alterations do seem to have been made due to technological limitations however. The original sky on E1 is gone now, replaced with a blue one, so the episode is technically set during day time now. And while it brought some visual enhancements, it also has some drawbacks. For one, the sector lighting is quite flat, and the paletted look is completely gone. I could live without the palette, but the darkness of various maps and areas was surely lost now that the game is flat as a pancake. Some secret exits are also gone, and the map order was changed in places as a result.

Duke's voice acting is slightly different too, same for his lines, and the ladies can no longer be interacted with at all, or killed, but can be saved, so it seems to have some censorship put in place, but due to the way it was done, I don't mind it at all, I've seen way worse. So all things considered, I'm quite liking this version so far, but I feel that it could have been even better. I would have surely loved to see colored lighting a la Doom 64 or PSX Doom here, but I guess you can't have them all.

On 10/19/2020 at 2:13 AM, seed said:

the ladies can no longer be interacted with at all, or killed, but can be saved, so it seems to have some censorship put in place

Just wait til you find what they did to the hanging cocooned women lol. They figured since violence doesn't seem to be an issue, why not showcase the hypocrisy of that. It won't be until Dark Side tho.

Also wait, you can just play Duke 64 on PC now like the release of the PS1 version's exclusive fourth episode? Never tried Rednukem btw.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. I started a new game and have made it passed whatever stuff I was doing the first time. I have yet to do the final battle and I started exploring parts of the Bitterblack island. Pretty fun RPG with a nice combat system and a limited open world map. The map is... decent but it should have been more open with more ways to travel between the larger areas. You end up going through the same narrow paths to get to the slightly larger area which becomes tedious at times. At least there's a fast travel system where you can plop down destination crystals and beam to them whenever you want and you can move them about but you only have several to place. Some of the enemies are hard as hell until you level up, which is nice and you're able to run away from battles that aren't going well. lol The inventory is kinda ok, bordering on meh, which is a grid system but for some reason things like potions are not alphabetical so it's hard to find and there's a lot of different potions and samey looking icons. For some reason the equipment menu is in the ummm menu but not in the inventory tho you can equip armor / weps in the inventory you just don't see the stats and you have to see it to get what I'm on about...so yeah, that's odd. There is a huge storage space you can dump all the extra stuff in and you can craft stuff but I found that not very interesting. I haven't finished the end boss yet but there's supposed to be content after the final battle and new monsters n stuff. I wish the game had more dungeons that aren't quest related places... the game could use those for sure.

Abrams Battle Tank for MS-DOS

The plot is about Word War 3, started by USSR against Germany. USA/NATO join the game, with their modified tanks which costs $1 000 000.

You play as team of one Abrams. Before missions you get what to do by tellings of black commander. Then you choose which ammo you would take and go in fight.

Maps are large, and funny, but in fact you only one who can stop everybody - there usually 10-30 enemies against you, while your allies don't do anything useful.

With it, don't feel myself like Rambo - ПТР-80 (PTR-80)(If not wrong) are just horrible, these men with rocket launchers almost impossible to hit until you get too close, while they gonna shoot in you. There also helicopters, tanks and other vehicles. And your stupid allies, which you still don't should to kill.

If one thing broken, everything can go wrong, especially if it related to fight. One time my visions for shooter were broken, so to see outdoors I was forced to play mostly as driver.

You have 3 types of ammo, machine gun, smoke gas, thermovision (I don't know how it works against tanks, since you see them fully...), zoom, and some other stuff like auto-aiming.

Indicators of other members can be useful. As commander you can use map, as driver - see more accurate speed and fuel.

There also enough of some other things - rivers, bridges, bases (every map include at least one your base, there you can heal tank and refresh ammunition)

Missions... Okey. Break bridge, free the base, defend your tanks. But always to do all this, you anyway need to shoot... some Ts, MiS and PTRs.

EDIT: ТМ-5 EVEN WORSE. THEY KILL YOU FASTER THAN ПТРs, THEY SHOOT FASTER THAN YOU, THEY SEEMS TO MOVE FASTER THAN YOU. ONE SUCH KILL ME WITH 4-5 SHOTS ON 6TH MISSION (OUT OF 8), AND NOW, I FORCED TO START WHOLE GAME FROM BEGINNING.

I hate ТМ-5 more now. Thanks, allies...

EDIT: I didn't read manual fully, so maybe I looks stupid. But maybe ПТР enemies aren't actually rocketers, since ПТР can means "ПротивоТанковое Ружьё" (AntiTank Rifle), just their projectiles looks like anything that vehicles shoot at you, and who wield such weapon in reality on shoulder and shoot with such pose?

I dunno, maybe that prank of translators, and they named enemy wrong, or ПТРs actually are riflemen, just developers were lazy to draw bullets... I dunno, I just player

Now I getting why some translations not really good.

maxresdefault (8).jpg

Edited by bobstremglav : 1.Buttheat; 2.What if...

Far Cry 4

far-cry-4-1280x720-21.jpg

I'm genuinely shocked at how much I've been enjoying it.

I was expecting it to just be some open world schlock (since that's kinda the reputation Far Cry games have garnered post-3) but it has a really refined combat loop, and it's easily one of the best looking games of its time. Story is surprisingly good, too. It got me to make some decisions that aren't totally black and white and even nudged me into making a call that goes against my typical morals- it's just a really solid game. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's kind of just a better Far Cry 3. Would recommend.

34 minutes ago, HQDefault said:

Far Cry 4

far-cry-4-1280x720-21.jpg

I'm genuinely shocked at how much I've been enjoying it.

I was expecting it to just be some open world schlock (since that's kinda the reputation Far Cry games have garnered post-3) but it has a really refined combat loop, and it's easily one of the best looking games of its time. Story is surprisingly good, too. It got me to make some decisions that aren't totally black and white and even nudged me into making a call that goes against my typical morals- it's just a really solid game. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's kind of just a better Far Cry 3. Would recommend.

Sadly, I played only first two games(

Far Cry 1 and Far Cry 2

@HQDefault FC3 pissed me off before I got far into the story because of the grindiness for having actual useful stuff, which makes me think I may not be a fan of the Ubisoft formula. I did enjoy what I played of FC2 however, and I think FC4's setting looks more interesting than FC3. FC5 being set out in the middle of nowhere in America is also more interesting to me, so maybe I'll try the other ones down the line.

Playing Red Faction 1 using Dash Faction patch and also trying my hand at modding it.

Maybe the weirdest entry here - Heroes Of Might And Magic IV, the extended DVD edition. This edition features both HOMM3 and HOMM4 with all expansions of course. Right now I'm almost at the end of A Pirate's Daughter. 

8 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Just wait til you find what they did to the hanging cocooned women lol. They figured since violence doesn't seem to be an issue, why not showcase the hypocrisy of that. It won't be until Dark Side tho.

Also wait, you can just play Duke 64 on PC now like the release of the PS1 version's exclusive fourth episode? Never tried Rednukem btw.

Perhaps, but honestly this censorship was mostly done right IMO, speaking as a very anti-censorship kind of person no less, and it actually changes the experience in a fun way for the most part. Not too fond of ALL the changes however - can't interact with strippers anymore? Really? I wonder what they did with the alien fetus in the abortion clinic too, but haven't gotten there yet. I've also noticed the more vulgar one-liners of Duke have gone missing - "I'm gonna put the smack dab on your ass" and "I'll rip your head off and shit down your neck" come to mind.

Yes, Rednukem added support for it a while ago, native support no less including its GL effect and renderer in general. You only need a Duke 64 ROM tossed into its directory to play, like the original Doom 64 EX used to work, and Calico.

I finished Dawn of War II last week at some point, and have split my time since then. I'm roughly halfway through the Doom Eternal DLC on UV, which was a hell of a challenge to reacclimatise to, but incredible otherwise. I did find myself raging rather hard at the left-hand trial in the Blood Swamps...

I also moved on to the Chaos Rising expansion for Dawn of War II! Finished that last night, which was a lot of fun, so I'll be continuing on with Retribution. I guess I'll play the campaign for every faction, but only if it doesn't take too long. I'm glad to report I got through on Sergeant difficulty with no real corruption and none of my team being the traitor (I gather that, canonically, that isn't the case, but never mind). I think I got all of the missions and got a pretty full experience. Only Jonah didn't make it to level 30, but then he started at a disadvantage, as I could carry over the rest of the team from my main game campaign.

The goal is also to get back to my Final Fantasy play through on my NES Classic Mini, with an eye to finishing that shortly.

As I feared might happen, NaNoWADMo has fallen by the wayside. I don't mind too much, though, as I'm having a lot of fun with the games.

2 hours ago, spd7693 said:

Maybe the weirdest entry here - Heroes Of Might And Magic IV, the extended DVD edition. This edition features both HOMM3 and HOMM4 with all expansions of course. Right now I'm almost at the end of A Pirate's Daughter. 

heroes of might and magic IV is a great game

Am playing “Conkers Bad Fur Day” on my laptop (best N64 game... ever!!!) and am playing through “The Ancient Gods Pt 1” on my PC :-) 

Recently I have started playing SWAT 4 which has quickly become my current newest obsession. I have played quite a few milsims in the past but have never touched the singleplayer ones such as Rainbow Six or Ghost Reacon. SWAT 4 is definitely making me consider trying those out since while the law enforcement angle in an fps is nice what isn't nice is worrying about your teammates shooting suspects after they surrender. The game awards less points for incapacitated/neutralized suspects than you would if they were arrested.

Edited by Denim Destroyer

I know I'm years behind, but recently I finished RDR2 and on impulse I picked up GTA V while it was on sale. Never touched a GTA game in my life before now and it's really been something else. I love how vast the world feels and the dialogue is so absurdly obscene sometimes that it warrants a giggle. So many colorful characters.

3 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

Recently I have started playing SWAT 4 which has quickly become my current newest obsession. I have played quite a few milsims in the past but have never touched the singleplayer ones such as Rainbow Six or Ghost Reacon. SWAT 4 is definitely making me consider trying those out since while the law enforcement angle in an fps is nice what isn't nice is worrying about your teammates shooting suspects after they surrender. The game awards get less points for incapacitated/neutralized suspects than you would if they were arrested.

SWAT 4 is amazing. If you haven't looked into mods for it yet, I highly recommend you check out SSF Realism. It improves the already impressive AI even more with a bunch of other really neat tweaks.

Actually I am using that mod at the moment, one of my friends heavily recommended I tried it out.

Edited by Denim Destroyer

I did indeed pick up Final Fantasy yesterday. Took me about 20 minutes to work out where I was, where I wanted to be, what I was doing and what to do next. I then spent all of my money and found out I needed 50 grand for a bottle with a fairy in it, from an unmarked shop in the overworld. Some grinding later, I got what I wanted... Then ground some more for some more wonga to go and buy a spell with. I've worked out that I probably need another 155 grand to finishing buying things I currently have access to and want. Not necessarily a terrible thing, though, as I'm about to take on the castle under the sea (accessed by submarine!) and happen to know there's a shit ton of treasure there to pillage. I suspect the enemies will be paying out pretty handsomely, too, and that I'll need to take a couple of passes to gather everything up, so I may be minted enough before I know it. Maybe before I even go take on the boss for the third orb, as well!

I've been mostly playing Left 4 Dead 2 and Elite Dangerous recently, and also a bit of Touhou Subterranean Animism whenever I have 30 minutes to myself.

The Old PixelJunk games like Pixeljunk Eden, Shooter and Monsters. Awesome games form my childhood that I played all the time on ps3, thankfully they're also on Steam :) too bad the old call of duty games still cost an arm and a leg.

Finally started playing "The Adventures of Square". Finished 2 levels so far, and ohmygosh is this game fun! It's fun, colorful, and full of character... I love me some cheesy puns and one-liners hahaha. 

The original Kotor, moved to it now and patched (hacked) widescreen in. The non-scaling interface is pretty crap but at least it doesn't render the game unplayable.

Playing... LS this time around since I know nothing about going DS in this game, regrettably, and supposedly the DS choice on Manaan kicks you out. Seems influence was a TSL idea so far, I'm yet to see any gain or losses, so I assume it doesn't exist here at all. It's rather fascinating to see how much content and assets were recycled for TSL though, it was built quite strongly on top of this game. Models, textures, graphics, animations, lots of them are re-used in the sequel, not to mention Dantooine so far, which was almost fully recycled. I think I have a good idea about which building gets re-used and becomes Khoonda in TSL.

But now, back to influence, well I'm glad it doesn't exist here if true, because I'd bring my influence down to 0 with Bastila in moments... Truly a textbook example of what I hate about Jedi and their filthy "Order" in general... this woman truly speaks like a brainwashed cultist...

Which brings me to my next point - overall, TSL definitely is the superior game in terms of writing, there is no doubt about it whatsoever. The plot, the characters, everything related to this and in-between is better in TSL, and although I like TSL's characters more, those don't seem too bad either, but the sequel was definitely the superior material - save for Bastila. Interesting who Revan bonded with, there's no point in any comparison here as that would be outright insulting. The Kreia & Exile duo is far better than Revan & Bastila, the former was a lot more dynamic and complex while this one is unlikely to have much depth to it, if at all. You can't have depth with a one-dimensional zombie who kisses the Order's ass and acts like a spoiled, arrogant brat nonstop...

Too bad I can't kill the Order here :D , it would've been a pleasure, especially Vrook. Cunty old man as always.

2 hours ago, seed said:

But now, back to influence, well I'm glad it doesn't exist here if true, because I'd bring my influence down to 0 with Bastila in moments... Truly a textbook example of what I hate about Jedi and their filthy "Order" in general... this woman truly speaks like a brainwashed cultist...

I sold my soul to the Dark Side and killed everybody I liked in my party... just so I could kill Bastila Shan.

I would do it again. I would do it every fucking time XD

Eh, actually, looking back, I definitely hated her but I also think part of why I did it was just a rebellion *ba dum tish* against what I saw as shitty bland writing in terms of where the story generally goes. I am completely certain you will be disappointed by the game's story because it does nothing that doesn't fall under the bland simplistic dichotomy that Star Wars is most known for. And I am generally someone who wants to be good and plays good in such games, like I don't see me ever committing to an evil playthrough in Baldur's Gate. But you can have nuance, you can have questions about just what is good and what is evil, you can have thoughtfully written, conflicted characters. None of those things are in KOTOR. 

1 hour ago, hybridial said:

I sold my soul to the Dark Side and killed everybody I liked in my party... just so I could kill Bastila Shan.

I would do it again. I would do it every fucking time XD

Eh, actually, looking back, I definitely hated her but I also think part of why I did it was just a rebellion *ba dum tish* against what I saw as shitty bland writing in terms of where the story generally goes. I am completely certain you will be disappointed by the game's story because it does nothing that doesn't fall under the bland simplistic dichotomy that Star Wars is most known for. And I am generally someone who wants to be good and plays good in such games, like I don't see me ever committing to an evil playthrough in Baldur's Gate. But you can have nuance, you can have questions about just what is good and what is evil, you can have thoughtfully written, conflicted characters. None of those things are in KOTOR. 

About time, I was waiting for you, you know 😉.

Well,yeah,the characters in this game are definitely not as well written as they are in TSL. Mechanically wise, it may not have been groundbreaking, and not even technologically, actually, I've already spotted some differences in terms of visual fidelity versus the original from the walkthrough videos I was and still am watching, specifically various reflections, worse lighting, and shaders. The biggest giveaway was probably Dantooine's lighting here, and HK has reflections that are completely missing in TSL.

But TSL was a step up from all the other points of view, that game was way better written than the first. So yeah, I guess I'll just play along this time around and turn my brain off, it's better that way since the one-dimensional nature of Bastila gives me creeps. It just amazes me what a huge downgrade she is from Kreia... and the other characters, while not particularly ultra complex in TSL, were at least way more interesting. These guys... well I guess they... exist, lol. At least we have Canderous around for his war stories, heh.

HK joins later on, on Tatooine, and Jolee on Kashyyk, at least him and the old man was more interesting than the others. As for me, well, it's not that I am not willing to be the "good guy" when I can, but, let's say I'm pretty neutral in general. Generally speaking I have a... quite flexible moral compass.

And in a SW context, I've said before that I am tired of the one-dimensional portrayal of the Sith and Jedi, so I will admit that my personal bias likely plays a role in this too.

23 minutes ago, seed said:

And in a SW context, I've said before that I am tired of the one-dimensional portrayal of the Sith and Jedi, so I will admit that my personal bias likely plays a role in this too.

You really should hate all the movies then. All of them. Only outside of the movies did some writers try exploring more nuanced approaches to morality in this universe but, even given that, it's a fairly limited universe. KOTOR II is built pretty much on critiquing those limitations, which is fine but then what is there to do that it hasn't?

A big problem with media properties in general is that most of them only have a finite amount of interesting things to say, that are often said in the very first iteration and if enough people liked that iteration, they desire more, but attempts to fulfil that desire just leads to worse versions of the same. 

Even as the big Devilman fanboy I am, I would acknowledge that the original manga & OVAs and the Devilman Lady anime are really the only ones that feel like they had a core idea that brings something new. Crybaby didn't really add much new but I suppose it does demonstrate that sometimes ideas do have to be reiterated to bring them to a new audience, and I guess it did that well because it did not feel like a horribly simplified version of it, and it hit the important points. 

But that felt like it came from a genuine place, when Disney are shitting out Star Wars movies we all know they don't care about saying anything other than "give us your fucking money." 

1 hour ago, hybridial said:

You really should hate all the movies then. All of them. Only outside of the movies did some writers try exploring more nuanced approaches to morality in this universe but, even given that, it's a fairly limited universe. KOTOR II is built pretty much on critiquing those limitations, which is fine but then what is there to do that it hasn't?

A big problem with media properties in general is that most of them only have a finite amount of interesting things to say, that are often said in the very first iteration and if enough people liked that iteration, they desire more, but attempts to fulfil that desire just leads to worse versions of the same. 

Even as the big Devilman fanboy I am, I would acknowledge that the original manga & OVAs and the Devilman Lady anime are really the only ones that feel like they had a core idea that brings something new. Crybaby didn't really add much new but I suppose it does demonstrate that sometimes ideas do have to be reiterated to bring them to a new audience, and I guess it did that well because it did not feel like a horribly simplified version of it, and it hit the important points. 

But that felt like it came from a genuine place, when Disney are shitting out Star Wars movies we all know they don't care about saying anything other than "give us your fucking money." 

Eh, that black/view view kinda bothers me in the movies nowadays, but then I watch those for something else entirely, not their story as they're all just simple metaphors :p .

I don't have a problem with repeating stuff as long as it's done right, if it exists just to exist, or because it worked once and creative bankruptcy hit hard in the meantime, then yes, that tends to suck, but it is what it is.

As for Disney and SW, well, that depends I guess. The new trilogy sure wasn't great, but then I'm not exactly sure I'm in a position to criticize them since I'm one of the few to enjoy the prequels in an unironic way in the first place, so whatever. But I'm hearing The Mandalorian is pretty good so far, and it's definitely on my watch list.