Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

Is HDR possible?

I think HDR would be a nice addition, but is it actually possible with the sector-based nature of Doom? I mean, I guess there's a reason why this hasn't been implemented yet, right? Or is it just that no one has bothered to do it?

I don't see why it couldn't be done, technically speaking. That said, I don't think it'd add much, due to uniform brightness everywhere.

Maybe for stuff with more dynamic lights than good sense, but eh.

Just now, Linguica said:

Do you mean HDR as in, a port to be shown on a HDR screen? Or a port with tone mapping?

I was talking about tone mapping. Sorry for the lack of detail in the explanation.

1 hour ago, chungy said:

Strife: VE has it.

Oh, you're right! I've seen some gameplays of it. I guess it just isn't on anyone's priority list then.

I remember people used to use SweetFX on GZDoom, is that still working?

Strife: VE doesn't have any sort of HDR unless I am extremely misinformed. It *does* have optional bloom though.

Just now, Linguica said:

Strife: VE doesn't have any sort of HDR unless I am extremely misinformed. It *does* have optional bloom though.

Chances are that the extremely misinformed person here is me.

Doesn't HDR have something to do with the lighting and bloom in environments?

High Dynamic Range (HDR) means that the light calculations and textures are done with values beyond the 0-255 range. Tonemapping then maps the final light values back into the 0-255 range to be shown on the monitor.

Bloom is taking values above a certain threshold and blurring them over neighboring pixels. This creates an illusion that some light is so strong that it is blinding you. Bloom is possible both in LDR and HDR, but of course the higher range makes it easier to set a threshold that doesn't bloom things that wasn't meant to be.

So you can have bloom without HDR and visa versa.

On that note, with the advent of actual HDR screens, I'd love to see how Quake, Half-Life, etc would look in it. Why have "overbright" pixels when you can actually have them be really bright?

On 02.07.2017 at 0:58 AM, Blastfrog said:

Why have "overbright" pixels when you can actually have them be really bright?

Isn't that the same thing on practice?

7 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Isn't that the same thing on practice?

No, because non-HDR screens are only half as bright, therefore "overbright" pixels get capped off at the monitor's highest possible range per-channel, even if the "real" color is brighter than that.

"Overbright" in the Quake engine is basically the reverse of the normal fade-to-black colormap: instead, the overbright fades to white (or maybe just a more saturated version of the color, I dunno). If you wanted to show "overbright" on a HDR display properly, you would have to keep it the same perceptual color as the normal 100% bright version, but just make it actually a brighter version of that color.

14 minutes ago, Linguica said:

"Overbright" in the Quake engine is basically the reverse of the normal fade-to-black colormap: instead, the overbright fades to white (or maybe just a more saturated version of the color, I dunno).

Black will remain black. Mid-tones may reach white, eventually.