The DWmegawad Club plays: Slaughter Until Death & The Evil Unleashed & Obituary

MAP09: Nuclear Research Base
21:02 | 100% Kills | 88% Items | 100% Secrets

This one's pretty fun, for the most part. It kind of peters out, though, with the blue key reveal being all "That's it?" and then you just march around to the blue door and you're done. A high usage of vertically-out-of-range baddies that will just safely snipe away at you unless you use freelook. (And that arachnotron in the nuke pit: what even was the point?) Still, I like it. Missed an item, though; I assume it was like a dumb little armor bonus or something.

MAP10: The Stand
23:39 | 99% Kills | 100% Items | 100% Secrets

Yeah, it's a hub map, but it's mostly fun. Once again, the final key does nothing more than open the exit door. The first two spokes here are pretty fun. I especially liked the northern bit, except for one thing: why have all those revenants/sergeants spawn atop the yellow key like that if you're just gonna lock them in? I just spammed SSG through the bars, no fuss. Also, that BFG replacement is, uh. Something. Lotsa large cell packs laying around, as well as a metric crapload of zerk packs and supercharges. Geez. I marked 'em all down and picked them up later after clearing everything out. Unnecessary. The western blue key area I remember giving me fits the first time I played. Indeed, this time I took it carefully and had cleared out the northern half before getting pinned by a spectre horde and accidentally switching to my pistols instead of my chainsaw. Ded. After that I didn't move as carefully and was killed a couple more times. (Free-roaming revvie rockets. Pinned between a spider and a horde of lost souls. Etc.) There's a weird bit where you can work a raising/lowering elevator to get to the blue key door, which is hilarious because I'd already gotten there by straferunning from the window the green armor teleporter sends you too. Weird. Missed one monster somewhere. Your guess is as good as mine, even IDDT didn't show anything.

1 person likes this

MAP13: Not sure with this was called Pandemonium II tbh, except for the hellish theme of the map. From the start it was pretty interesting but after the blue key the things change for the bad and get boring. The little quest for the yellow was nice though. Worth of a mention is the tower with the cyberdemon, very impressive work, it would look cool even in a modern wad.

1 person likes this

Hey, everyone, I'm back again to play more Obituary. So this looks like we're at the final stretch, so to speak.

Map12: Biochemical Factory (Thomas Moeller)

101% kills, 100% items, 100% secrets

Time: 13:08

This is pretty much the last techbase map in the megawad as everything else onward is all hellish, bricks, and stone-themed. Like with every other techbase map, it's crampy with mostly boxy architecture. You have to be careful, though, because there's a lot of really lethal ambushes, even at the start as you have to start chaingun blazing at all the sniper zombies which includes a couple of bazooka men. Then there's the blue key where after you grab it, the walls open revealing a bunch of enemies, some of which teleport to block your only escape route. You'll doing some switch pressing to open up areas to progress further. Fortunately, you can use some of the barrels to help weaken or kill the enemies that come close to them. Sometimes, you can get the bazooka men to commit harakiri while inadventently damaging or killing other enemies among, which is hilarious by itself. In the area where you hit the switch to gain access to the red key room, I like to use the BFG before opening the door so that I can kill all the baddies inside without alerting anyone via sound tunnel as reaching for the switch lowers a teleporter they can use to teleport in any of the vats in the room, so that way I can sneak up on them and waste them with the BFG. There are more ambushes like when you try going for the red key and a wall closes in front of you while others open revealing more enemies. Then there's the fake exit trick, where hitting the switch lowers a lift and you're surrounded by cacodemons and shotgunners. Have the BFG ready before stepping on the teleporter as you can potentially die due being surrounded by pinkies and some bazooka men, probably the toughest secret to get because of that. The ending has you hitting more switches to find another way to reach the exit, and then one more ambush to take care of while you wait for the closed bar to open so you can hit the real exit switch. A fairly tough map.

Map13: Pandemonium II (Thomas Moeller)

100% kills, 100% items, 100% secrets

Time: 09:58

Although this map bares little to no resemblance to the original Pandemonium, E3M3 of Ultimate Doom, it's a pretty decent hellish map, but goodness is it such a tough cookie. The start has you immediately trying to kill the bazooka man and revenant, but there's a couple of chaingunners ready to strike and some super imps and shotgunners for good measure. BFG the demons in the fire pit before you dive in as that also clears an exploding barrel. Bit of good action while getting the blue key, and then when you gain accent past the blue skull bar, you'll have to face some pinkies that teleport into the red chamber past the green marble room with all the imps, where you'll be doing a bit of exploring to find the yellow key. When you can finally enter the yellow door, the tower opens up, and you'll engage in a rather tricky fight with the cyberdemon to get the red key. Thank goodness there's a soul sphere, but I wish it would have been a megasphere so I could have both max health and armor. Ah, whatever. The ending has you going up a lift, clearing off a platform full of barons, then waste the last chaingunners and super imps. This map isn't too bad, but some parts are quite hectic, especially the cyberdemon fight.

Gonna save it up to here now. I'll see you all again when we take on the last maps of Obituary. Take care and have fun.

1 person likes this

MAP13 Pandemonium II

Whatever this had with the first Pandemonium I don't know, but this map has some racing switches and a few other things in it. Combat actually is a lot more interesting which prevails with the theme. And yes, a courtyard full of pinkies! Some of which teleport to the room to the south, so the action migrates over there if you let it. The cyber is in an iconic-looking arena, but also the BFG replacement, which I first tried out doesn't even have a projectile, so it's a weird one. Fun level anyways, yah.

1 person likes this

LE1TrLLh.png

MAP13 - “Pandemonium II” by Thomas Möller

gzDoom - UV – pistol start/saves

I think the sky background really does this map and it’s design a bit of a disservice as right from the start I get a hell vibe and the rest of the map holds that feeling true. It’s funny that they spent so much time on new weapons but kept the same destroyed cityscape as the backdrop. I guess it is ‘95 and maybe that just wasn’t done yet, (wonder who did that first) but as much as I do love the new pistols, I’d trade ‘em in for a better overall look and feel. A good sky can really add or detract to a map’s aesthetic and presence.

Some of the damage floor spots were annoying but at least the falling floor one looked cool. Speaking of looking cool, not sure what that woodbox centerpiece is supposed to be but it stands out in a room of nothing. This room however looks VERY cool.

My favorite part of this map, besides hoping over the gap to steal a key out from underneath a deaf cyberdemon, was getting a zerk pack and just going off. I must have kicked at least 20 demons before I just kept kicking everyone and everything everywhere. It worked surprisingly well! I think it has to do with the higher attack rate maybe. Or at least it seems like it.

I only found one secret but it was probably the only one that mattered. Too bad it was at the end of the map. Yeeaaahh! I got something for that walking cow now! Suck it down! Now, who wants a cybersteak? How do you like your meat? Well done or bloody? Muwahaha!

1 person likes this

OBTIC MAP13

Easily the most hellish map we're seen yet from TiC, with plenty of marble and SPHOT, plus what looks like demi1_6 and rock3 both recoloured in red.

As others have noted, any similarity to the original Pandemonium seems pretty slight.  But maybe the name's just a reference to the rather chaotic action that can break out once you're on the path to the yellow key.  Easily the highlight section of the map.

Visually this is a nice level.  The cyberdemon chamber looks great, even if the fight itself isn't that exciting - I shotgunned the poor sap to death - and the chamber with the yellow door also looks very nice.  

I would have preferred the exit section to have more clear signposting as to which wall to hump to get a lift to descend - multiple sw1lion and s1garg walls, most of which aren't actually switches, was a tad disappointing.  I'd have replaced the sw1gargs and the northern sw1lion with plain metal, myself.

MAP11 - “Incubator of Chaos” by Thomas Möller

another doom2 base map, pretty generic, i mean it's telling that i had trouble remembering its details as i stopped 2 maps later to write my impressions. plenty of sergeants, loads of shells to use up close, which means door camping and corridor cleaning. there's still too much corridor-based architecture for my taste. i liked the jump through the window though and wished the map had more moments like that with a more open, free-flowing structure.

MAP12 - “Biochemical Factory” by Thomas Möller

a techbase with many blue walls, more detailed than earlier maps - i noticed the railings too. a somewhat hectic start, a few good ambushes where walls open releasing a mix of enemies, and then those dorky rocket troopers who keep blowing themselves up. these were the better parts of the game, mostly involving zombies, imps and barrels.

the worse part had the damn bridges that lower when you step on them, it's a sure way to slow down the game (same as the platform crap they did earlier). then the open door, shoot, move on wolf3 type play in the southeastern corner, and, to top it off, not realizing when you're beating a dead horse with the fake exits.

MAP13 - “Pandemonium II” by Thomas Möller

a refreshing change from the series of narrow corridor bases. this map more open and hellish, has some good looking parts like the fire-red pillar behind iron bars and the cyb's tower in demtor's pic.  but: too many pinkies. they're not mixed with some other monsters to block the player, they come at him in droves without any support. that's overdoing it like with the fake exits before.

OBTIC MAP14

My heart sank at the opening, but this map is actually pleasingly light on 64-wide action, with most areas allowing more movement.  It is a bit on square side, though, both in terms of many of the areas and the map as a whole.  I suspect that Thomas may have used grid paper to plan out a lot of his levels: their shape certainly feels like that's the case.

I liked the blood fountain in the vines area, with the slowish trickle of teleporting monsters.  It's a shame that wasn't introduced earlier, in an area of the map you'd have to revisit, as I think it could have been a neat repopulation mechanism.

TiC's baffling love affair with up/down moving platforms continues, with a couple of instances in this map, and yet another of those tedious checkerboard rooms we've seen several times before.  At least it's entirely optional this time.

Not a fan of the crate room either.  Partly because it just ends up being a rather bland brown area visually, but moreso because of the use of crates as non-secret lifts.  I've never cared for that: especially in a room where every stack of crates looks the same.

The jump to get to the blue door is a pretty neat bit of Doom parkour, though.  I'll give the map that.

After taking a quick look at it, I'm gonna go ahead and vote

+++ Moonblood

Always a fan of Scythe inspired bite-size levels.

1 person likes this

MAP14: Not a very good start with chainsaw-ing pinkies in 64-wide corridors, at least we can move on quickly from that and the map gets better. The green marble area is quite dangerous at first, but nothing too hard to deal. Then follows the western section with some cool bits of progression to get the blue key, my favourite part of the map. I really liked the crate room, and there's even a secret room made entirely of crates which looked strange in a good way. The area past the yellow key door was nice, shame that the teleport ambush isn't designed very well and it's easy to rush to the exit.