Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

Ataribox

Atari came back , the Forgotten king is back at it with a whole new console, will this be the PS4 Or Xbox one Killer? Will Atari rule the gaming industry once again?

There's no information on it yet. Call me a skeptic or a hater, but I'm not sure Atari can get their snout in the trough outside of purchases from Youtubers to cover them. Atari has far more weight than the Ouya. I hope to be proven wrong.

I can only hope they have the Atari Jaguar port of Doom on there.

Oh yeah and speaking as someone who just bought the Atari Vault.... Atari is running low on famous IPs. I suppose they have Test Drive and Alone in the Dark. They do have the DragonBall Z license, so maybe an exclusive DragonBall Z game for the system?

Edited by geo

To think Atari is returning to the console market...

Ha, what's next, Sega?

Though there is literally no info on this thing other than the fact that it (probably) exists and it uses off-the shelf hardware. So watch it turn out to be an emulation box, I guess?

1 hour ago, Pencil of Doom said:

Lol, more like Woodbox.

Woodbox said by the boneman!

Atari proper hasn't existed for years, and even in its heyday it was actually multiple companies doing their own thing (the company that made the 2600 is not the same one that developed their home computer line, etc). Now, it's just Infogrames running around with their name, similar to how Leatherface wears the skin of his victims in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :P

I get the feeling this is going to be a Steam machine or something along those lines. Probably not a throwback emulation console or anything like that.

I feel this needs to be mentioned:

Atari these days is not the same Atari from back when Jack Tramiel was its chairman. Whatever is left of Atari was eventually purchased by Hasbro, who then sold it to Infogrames. Infogrames then changed their name to "Atari Inc.".

The reason why I like to address things like this is because a lot of people are very nostalgic about certain brands, when the current incarnation of that company has little to nothing in common with what they originally fell in love with. It's similar to id Software in that regard.

PS: Ever since the Infogrames buy-out Atari has been going down the drain, and their more recent stuff has been absolute garbage. Without trying to be a 'negative nancy', I can fairly say I'm not exactly hyped for their next product.

On 6/30/2017 at 7:37 PM, Maisth said:

will this be the PS4 Or Xbox one Killer?

Pfffffft, Highly doubt that. But we'll see.

1 hour ago, Agentbromsnor said:

The reason why I like to address things like this is because a lot of people are very nostalgic about certain brands, when the current incarnation of that company has little to nothing in common with what they originally fell in love with.

Likewise, here.

It's similar to id Software in that regard.

Not quite. id evolved, even with the sudden shifts. Donna Jackson, Tim Willits, etc. are all "classic era" people still at id AFAIK, it's just that they were not founding members. Atari, on the other hand, more so fell apart and the vultures came for the mask that remained.

PS: Ever since the Infogrames buy-out Atari has been going down the drain, and their more recent stuff has been absolute garbage. Without trying to be a 'negative nancy', I can fairly say I'm not exactly hyped for their next product.

Very true, but I don't think they're trying to be bad. This is probably a last ditch effort to get some cash rolling back in. We've never seen them do hardware before, and if this is what I think it is (a "PC console" with some form of status-quo standard hardware/setup, i.e. the Steam machine we've been waiting for), I wish them the best and hope that it's successful.

It's trying to really hard to appeal to both modern gamers, as well as people who have nostalgia for the Atari 2600. I don't see how this thing isn't going to fail. 

*Video were they talk about how great it's that atari is coming back and nothing else*
oh hai ouya 2

8 minutes ago, Ajora said:

It's trying to really hard to appeal to both modern gamers, as well as people who have nostalgia for the Atari 2600.

Yeah, even if it was based on the success of the 2600, most games there were really primitive. I can't see someone getting excited for a re-release of old atari games like people did with NES or SNES classic

Does actually look reasonable, be interesting to see what games make the cut. Tempest 2000 was a jaguar game that looked similar to the version being played. So who knows? 

You mean it's not vaporware???

Apparently it also serves as a Netflix box and will let you install whatever you want on it as long as it's Linux compatible. $299 and about the level of a mid-range PC, so I guess it runs Doom at least.

The new name is old news, but that's a stupid choice to name it that. Why? Well, the 2600 was originally called the VCS, an acronym for Video Computer System. I remember one guy on AtariAge suggesting that it should be called the VSX instead. That's the prototype name for the 5200.

God, this thing is gonna be a piece of shit. I could get a RetroPi box off of Ebay for less than that.

@Sgt Nate V I think its going to be more than just a retro box, its more of a all round entertainment system.

A launch price of $300 or £230 is reasonable and if it does compare to a mid-range PC then it could be a good bit of kit. It wont touch the PS4 sales but I'm sure it will do well enough if Atari actually market it well, unlike the Jaguar.

However I have a PC and the lad has a PS4, so in reality its unlikely that I will purchase one.

Shame it doesn't include a Blu-Ray player as then it could be a cool replacement for the lounge Blu-ray player/smart box.    

Looks like I already chimed in on this, but I'm happy they have a product now. It looks good from a visual standpoint. Atari was wood grain because that's what the era was... now its not, but its still wood grain because that's what Atari was I guess?

Uh boy. I have a PC. Everyone else has a PC. Even people with nostalgia for this have a PC.

You better have a lot of marketing dollars or games that modern players want to play to get millions of people to buy a specific box for the game. Steam has TF2 and DOTA 2. Playstation has Uncharted & God of War. Nintendo has everything its ever made. Microsoft has Halo, Gears of War and... whatever else.

I'm from the Atari era. I try to play Atari games now and really they're pretty bad to archaic. Indie games for $1 each blow away the old 2600 games. Its a struggle to find the nostalgia to even play the actual Atari games on the system or the Atari Vault in general.

Good luck making it useful a month after launch. Plus the Atari Vault is on PC and it has like 100+ Atari games and its incomplete and devoid of Frogger, River Raid, Pitfall, Pac Man and others. Breakout is near unplayable.

Edited by geo

The Activision developed Atari 2600 games are generally way better than the games Atari themselves developed. River Raid is always a lot of fun to play.

So it's a Steambox in an admittedly stylish case, with nostalgic branding.

Well, why not, but I can't see this getting much sales outside of a few hipsters.

I'm still failing to see the point of this thing. I can't think of literally a single device that doesn't already do what the VCS is advertised to do.

for some reason though it's raised nearly 2.5 million dollars on indiegogo so clearly someone's interested....

i don't get it either, I'll be completely honest. I honestly would have not expected this much money to have been poured into this thing by people. What do they see in it?

EDIT: to ask a side question, what is the deal with xbox-like controllers? I vaguely understand the analog stick placements, even if I'm a little more used to Dualshocks, but this insistence on the xbox-like d-pad bugs me quite a bit, as I've always found that sort of dpad where its just some big flat circle on a stick to be somewhat annoying to play with. From the indiegogo the controllers fall within this type. actually that's giving me some pretty big shades of the ouya, heh. It had this kind of controller, though in a package a lot less comfortable than the actual xbox controllers.