Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The Standard E1 Community Project... lives again! (On idgames!)

30 minutes ago, The_SloVinator said:

If any map slots become open, hit me up! Would love to participate.

Seems like there is one open :D

1 hour ago, SOSU said:

Seems like there is one open :D

It's been claimed by Liberation a few hours ago though

1 minute ago, NaZa said:

It's been claimed by Liberation a few hours ago though

Oh no D:

Walter mentioned in his last post that he may be freeing his slot. Not sure how his map is going at the moment.

14 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

If any map slots become open, hit me up! Would love to participate.

If you wanting to make a map still, then go for it!

I will make a back up level incase someone drops out!

33 minutes ago, Liberation said:

If you wanting to make a map still, then go for it!

I will make a back up level incase someone drops out!

As I said, if any map slot becomes free, I'll claim it. For now, I'll pass.

Thanks.

A couple of WIP pictures of my map, which I'm thinking of naming "No crates on Phobos" Unless I start adding crates.

Screenshot_Doom_20171228_185126.png.1a012f08e62ef1f924145da13b4e2392.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171228_185207.png.c5c61f5b14838196a2f5c5281f85843e.png

Still early days and sussing out texture combos still.

2 hours ago, Kyle2959 said:

If e1m4 slot is free i could try making a map for it 

@Liberation Was the first to claim that slot. It looks like @Walter confetti is MIA regarding this thread, so the OP wasn't updated. :( I would really like to see this project finished.

@Spectre01 By my count the project has 4 maps completed, 4 Wip and 1 status unknown. I don't think finishing the project is going to be an issue and I'm sure Mr confetti will be around at some point and if he's not, then we can cross that bridge when it comes.  

@Angry Saint Just played through, took me 17 mins on HMP with 88% kills. 

The map layout is excellent and nicely detailed, you have some great curves going on! Only 88% kills as one of the fights I had to run from, to many barons and I hadn't found the missile launcher so I scarpered! I was stuck getting the red key, until it dawned on me that the crates are a mini crate maze :-)

Only one issue after the red key the stairs didn't work properly (pic included).

Nice map, a bit tough not nearly as tough as Spectre01's map.

Good work.

Screenshot_Doom_20180102_180614.png.62ea15c66fbb27d04ffe13d230e860a2.png 

1 hour ago, Liberation said:

@Angry Saint Just played through, took me 17 mins on HMP with 88% kills. 

The map layout is excellent and nicely detailed, you have some great curves going on! Only 88% kills as one of the fights I had to run from, to many barons and I hadn't found the missile launcher so I scarpered! I was stuck getting the red key, until it dawned on me that the crates are a mini crate maze :-)

Only one issue after the red key the stairs didn't work properly (pic included).

Nice map, a bit tough not nearly as tough as Spectre01's map.

Good work.

Screenshot_Doom_20180102_180614.png.62ea15c66fbb27d04ffe13d230e860a2.png 

The "build stairs" is something I never get to work correctly. I think I will substitute it with something else.

It should be possible to defeat the three baron in the "flesh" section of the map only with the shotgun and chaingun, the rocket launcher is optional.

Nevertheless thank you so much for you comments!

@Angry Saint No problem! Happy to help. The stair builder I think is messing up due to the player being able to cross 2 lines at the same time, if you make it so the player can only grab the key from one direction then it should work fine.

I probably could kill the 3 barons in the flesh area with what I had, however it was everything else as well that made me run off, I'm not the best of players tbf.

@Angry Saint Here is a slow and thorough FDA + UV-Max of my playthrough: ELv01-S01FDA_MAX.zip

First of all, the visuals are excellent! Great curved design for both the techbase and corrupted flesh sections. Layout/progression was good too, with height variation and all that jazz. I noticed a HOM behind the raised stairs, as pictured above, and a couple misaligned textures.

I felt like the actual combat was the weakest part. Aside from groups of Shotgunners, the enemies don't pose much threat, and there really isn't anything to surprise the player. As you can see from my FDA, the only time I took any real damage was at the start when I dropped down next to some Shotgunners. The presence of ledges also creates situations where monsters can bunch up and infinite height block you. That was the case with the Shotgunners/Imps near the start and then some Pinkies later on. There is also not much health at the start, so if you get chunked by Shotgunners it will take a while to recover. I would suggest adding some Stimpacks and placing a Green Armour earlier in the map. 

Considering the classic E1 arsenal here, the Barons and Cacos mostly end up being time sinks as you slowly shotgun/chaingun them down. The 3 Barons mentioned above required some slight strafing while spending most of my 50 shells. I would suggest either being generous with rockets and adding plasma, or cutting some of the beefy dudes in exchange for Imps and Shotgunners. The combat is also nearly full-frontal; so you end up walking forward and slowly shooting enemies as they appear. The Mastermind at the end was cool for cinematic purposes, but there wasn't much tension with being able to hug the wall and only 2 Barons threatening you.

I'm not suggesting to make the map hard, but to change the monster placement in a way that puts some pressure on the player from several directions. Hope some of that was useful!

Progress is being made, my level is probably 80/90% complete layout wise. Both pictures are from the outside areas.

Screenshot_Doom_20180103_145421.png.b033d4bed1a235ac44dd88cb263ea6b3.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180103_145710.png.cda9fac961ee8ee7cff8ef992149865b.png

On 26/12/2017 at 1:04 PM, Liberation said:

I'll take the last slot!

Added! Sorry for missing!

Also, if someone is interested, you can take my slot.

I'm sorry about it, but I made only a room and have no ideas for this project.... But I still take the lead of this, somehow...

EDIT: @The_SloVinator, E1M7 is yours if you like!

Edited by Walter confetti

Playtesting my map at the moment, and will post a link no later than Jan 14.

It's called "Janus Complex".

My map is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a1n5HwOc9YlpCAe8_66R6zxgDwV42VYm

Things to note:

• it's in e1m6
  • it contains only monsters, weapons and power-ups that would be in the IWAD e1m6

Because of the second point, it may be worth moving the map to an earlier slot; probably to before any map that features the cell weapons (which may be all of the others?).  While I certainly don't think the map is easy from a pistol start, and should handle continuous play with e1 weapons OK, it certainly won't present much challenge to a continuous player with a plasma gun.

Cool map @Capellan ! Here is a ~17 minute FDA where I mash "use" on everything. Managed to find 5/7 of the secrets. e1m6_S01_FDA.zip

Very good E1-style map, which manages to be engaging and presents a fun challenge with only the basic enemies. Visuals are nice and the layout is interesting. Good amount of non-linearity and verticality. I did feel like health was at a premium, but then again I didn't take too much damage to need more.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Cool map @Capellan ! Here is a ~17 minute FDA where I mash "use" on everything. Managed to find 5/7 of the secrets. e1m6_S01_FDA.zip

Thanks for the LMP.  Noticed two small issues which I have now fixed.  Link updated.

@Capellan Just had a play through, very nice e1 style map. Didn't find any issues to mention so that's good, only thought being the specter at the end was kind of useless. Health was a bit tight, however had enough to get through ok in the end. Didn't use the rocket launcher as I was happy enough with shotgun and chaingun. Good work! A very enjoyable map.

I'm hoping to have my map ready for play testing either tonight or tomorrow, just on enemy placement atm. I've noticed that the maps so far have a rather large enemy content so I am trying to keep my level consistent, however its not really my style, so enemy placement might need tweaking/attention.   

No crates on Phobos is ready for testing!

Its on the m1 slot, doesn't use any rocket/cell weapons or ep2 monsters. Its rather short, takes around 10 mins to finish and is a shoot'em up style gameplay. 

Got a few things to tweak here and there but its basically complete.

lib-e1m4a.zip

EDIT: Stuck monster fix.

Edited by Liberation

ere's an FDA in 8:45. (Pace of play is fast but I gave a lot of that back getting lost for a few minutes. :P My mouse's sensor is not playing well with my mouse pad so there are some unintended 90-degree flips.)

+ Nice visuals and layout.

+ Ubiquity of low-tiers and barrels suits weak weaponry well.

- Cramped scale combined with lots of small changes in height variation sometimes makes maneuvering awkward in classic ports. ZDoom ports will smooth out movement on bumpy floors a lot so I imagine it's not an issue there, but that type of design isn't ideal in classic ports.

- Lots of stuck monsters.

Edited by rdwpa

@Liberation Here is a ~15 minute, casual UV-Max FDA: e1m4_S01_FDA.zip

As @rdwpa said, good visuals/layout/gameplay. I had no issues with the bumpy floors though, and really liked the craters outside. Gave a nice feel of the base being under attack. I did notice one stuck Zombieman to the right of the exit. It's at the very end of my demo, where I manage to find him due to infinite height. Didn't notice anything weird otherwise except...

4 hours ago, Liberation said:

Its on the m1 slot, doesn't use any rocket/cell weapons or ep2 monsters.

There was a surprise Baron in one of the rooms! This does seem like a good candidate for the e1m1 slot though; followed by @Capellan 's map which includes a Rocket Launcher.

But yeah, really nice map overall. Good stuff!

46 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

@LiberationThis does seem like a good candidate for the e1m1 slot though; followed by @Capellan 's map which includes a Rocket Launcher.

Do we move the current e1m1 to e1m4 and the current e1m2 to e1m6, then?  i.e.

- E1M1: No crates on Phobos by Liberation

- E1M2: Janus Complex by Capellan

- E1M3: Main Reckon Facility by riderr3

- E1M4: Inner Port by mrthejoshmon

- E1M5: third moon lab by CarpetolA

- E1M6: Eden Log by Angry Saint

- E1M7: (The_SloVinator)

- E1M8: obliterate anomalies by Spectre01

- E1M9: (Fonze)