Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The Standard E1 Community Project... lives again! (On idgames!)

here, i have some fdas lying around: noisy_standard.zip

I like shotgun-vs-shotgun combat quite a lot.  As long as too many pinkies don't get in the way, then I don't think there's any way to mess up KDitD remakes.  For the first two maps here, it was like that.  Though it took turn, stylistically, at riderr3's map3; that one felt more Sandy Petersen like, and the high-tier monsters slowed the pacing down compared to the previous 2 maps.  On that note it was still a great map, but came out of left field.

The only one I didn't finish is Map08, but gave it a couple go's.

1 hour ago, NoisyVelvet said:

The only one I didn't finish is Map08, but gave it a couple go's.

Thanks for the demos! Yeah, map08 can definitely be tricky, especially going in blind with no saves. There should be a casual/walkthrough UV-Max demo included with the wad; if you want to see how I play it.

The implementation for a sequel is not started but we have already 4 person interested and a map slot claimed, cool!

Btw, I was thinking about these options on mapping progression a sequel:

• Keep a episodic progression with  9 levels, and after that is finished it being released on idgames for each episode (faster to finish)
  • Made episode 2 and 3 (18 levels) togheter and then release it packed with episode 1 when everything is finished (little slower, but more people will maybe join this). After this, a episode 4 will be on the rail. Yeah, a progression similar to original Doom
  • Going full 27 levels megawad! (even more slower and probably people will be afraid as a grand scale project, i've seen many, MANY times people going for a full megawad community project and then having nothing expect few maps, if the project isn't from a big name or a big saga like mayhem or 32 in 24)

Personally, i'm more inclined for the second option, but i'm also between this and the first option... What for you guys thinks fits better for this CP sequel?

I have also more ideas, but first let's take it down this "dilemma".

Option 1 pls, better safe than sorry :P

Edit: typed 2 instead of intended 1 XD

Edited by Catpho

Wait, darn typo, was option 1 :P

Option 2 sounds cool too, but i lean towards 1

Though I'm just a lowly music boi, I'll say 1 as well. Safer to go, easier for all of us to finish and release.

I'll echo what others have said, and think focusing on one episode at a time is the best option.

1 episode at a time is good for focus.

If E2 happens I might just crawl out my hole to donate a map, we'll see.

Been playing this WAD & gotta say, you guys put amazing work into this. Just wish it could get more recognized. haha

Really down for E2 once we'll get a chance. :)

Thanks!

I working on some rules modification and i'll do a level for showing people what this project is in the nearest future, with this fixed and started it will start the second session of this community project!

10 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

Been playing this WAD & gotta say, you guys put amazing work into this. Just wish it could get more recognized. haha

Really down for E2 once we'll get a chance. :)

Could do with a few more reviews really! We never got a lot of feedback tbf.

Between us, it was more bug fixes and tweaks.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:21 AM, Liberation said:

Could do with a few more reviews really! We never got a lot of feedback tbf.

Between us, it was more bug fixes and tweaks.

Well, unfortunately, this is not the type of project that attracts a lot of attention. From the various folks I've spoken to, a lot of them simply dismiss Doom 1 wads as being boring due to the limited enemy variety. Combine that with the fact that E1 tributes have been done to death, and you have people start to doze off once they read "Standard E1..."

(ominous applause) What a treat to play, well done everyone involved. I really enjoyed playing these maps, and well assembled with the added music.

I did find the levels too large but that is my personal tastes, E1M2 was problematic in finding both the keys and the doors. I am not great with huge spatial problems. The shape, detailing and textures of all the levels are of great quality, that is for sure.

*clapping continues*

I'd say d2twid and PRCP are close enough to "standard" replacements for D2 and Plutonia at least.

On 31/03/2018 at 9:32 PM, beast said:

E1M2 was problematic in finding both the keys and the doors. I am not great with huge spatial problems.

Pretty sure it's not E1M2 that you're talking about, there, since it only has one keyed door and both it and the key are in an area that all routes through the map will inevitably take you :)