Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Insertion ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

With the permission from Alfonzo to link this, here's the all-time Ironman Standings that I've made over the past few weeks! Obviously this will be separate from Alfonzo's spreadsheet but if you want to take a look at how would the 2016 look, or if just wanna check out the all-time standings, feel free to check it!

(it's in Excel)

ironman_alltime.zip

My run is done! Both recorded in demo and streamed for your enjoyment. Choose your means of inserting your way into my thrilling ride through this 1998 mapset! Click the spoiler if you just want to know the end result:

Dead on Map 08. Made it out of Map 07 in 1:14:33, which I'm hoping is a good time. It's literally one second faster than Alfonzo (suck it, fonz!) when he got to the same map, so I'm assuming I went at a good pace.

@an_mutt Pro tip!: set "hudadd_demoprogressbar" to 0 in the pr/glboom config file to hide the bar at the bottom of the screen. The video length can still betray the end result, I guess, but I'm probably going to get around that problem by pledging a continued play-through of the mapset, leaving off from where the demo kills me.

Cool idea, by the way. Will probably adopt it from here out.

An easier method is to go to: Options > Setup > Status Bar / HUD and it's on the 2nd page under 'Advanced HUD settings' :)

I always wondered why that was on by default.

Passed in 1:37:21.

Completely lost my focus in map10 for whatever reason which lead to some very tense moments near the end of the map, but I managed to pull through in the end. That final boss though... I think my heart skipped a beat there. Suffered only one blow but it took me from 200/200 down to 30/30 so another one would have been fatal...

I watched Alfonzo's demo the other day so I was ready, despite that I had never actually played this before. Cool wad though, I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before. Definitely very 90s.

DWIronman_Insertion_Veinen.zip

Well I died on map03. I survived all the other stuff yet I did not see that spectre in the water.

Lesson - Never doom on an empty stomach, though said demon is certainly not hungry any more.......

insrtioncb.zip

Edited by cannonball : Lets try again on that file

2 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

@cannonball I tried downloading your demo but you seem to have mistakenly uploaded a shortcut :c

Hmm, not sure how that happened, I have tried again, hopefully my laptop hasn't screwed it up again.

Here is my survival in 1:12:39

DWIronman_insrtion_BlooditeKrypto.zip

For the record I've played this 4 times in the past, x1 vanilla, x1 survival, x2 gameplay mods (An old version of Ceejay's Duke mod before it was 'Duke it out in Doom' and Immoral Conduct respectively.)

I'm intentionally aggressive and take a beating, but due to the abundance of health you can afford to play recklessly, it results in some tense moments which makes for interesting viewing. I had a shitty experience on 08 getting lost trying to get the yellow key and on 10 working out where to go after acquiring the red key. Thanks for selecting Insertion, it was a blast to re-visit :)

Mapset is totally new to me.  On a scouting run, I died in map 1 on HMP.  This is going to be a trainwreck isn't it?

Demo to come, I'll be going in without practice attempts for maximum failure and entertainment for the crowd.

OP Updated.

Twelve out of the twenty-five deaths so far have happened in map03, and an impressive half of those are due to [not Watson]. This includes one exceptional instance in which bzzrak runs around the offending structure to re-engage with it despite having already collected the key, and another in which infinitely tall actors prevent a knowing Sparky from escaping certain fate. Well done, guys; your performances are making this Ironman something to cherish.

Edited by Alfonzo

I'm bottom of the board for two months in a row.  I'm still trying to figure out if this is impressive or depressing, most likely it's a combination of both.  

I'm going to print these boards, frame them, and hang them on my walls with pride/shame.

I propose that you instead frame this combination by removing every last-placed performance you create from context and splicing them into a unique leaderboard featuring only loveless demos. What an elegant allegory for your circumstance!

Yeah, crushers don't have names.  Unless one zaps one with a magicgirlification ray and calls it Dominique.

I played through map 1 and part of 2 once with no other preparation before recording.  Find myself at single digit health less than 3 minutes in.  I feel the tension for sure, thinking it might end right there.

Here's my demo.  I don't make it very far.  Recorded with -complevel 9 because I failed reading comprehension, oops.  Looks like I'll be visiting the same watering hole loveless went to last month.

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

dwiron_insertion_cnr.zip

@Crusader No RegretColour me confused! You spend an incredible amount of time standing idly in front of zombies waiting for them to cram you full of bullets. Were you attempting to... "talk to the monsters?" Fascinating development.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/161657943 = died on map 5 to a lost soul.

Happy 1 year anniversary Ironman League! Here's to many more years of Ironman joy and frustration!

And here's to myself handing over the Britbowl lead (4-3 to an_mutt now...) in a brief moment of overconfident progression on the yellow key trap in map 5. "Infinite height wouldn't be too bad in this mapset" I said at the start; boy was I wrong! At least I avoided both the DNF spots and a couple of other small scares.

So now I strive to pull things back level for the first time in Britbowl history next month, having always been ahead previously....

Dammit. Christ's bleaching bones. Tarnation. Fuck.

DNF on map09 due to map breakage.*

The metal room with the marble floor that I end up floundering around in for a bit at the end has three switches in it. The one on the north wall opens the zig-zaggy south wall to show the mancubus + Barons on pillars. A pixel or three in front of the switch behind the manc, there's an invisible one-time use linedef involved in raising the lift up to the nearby platform with the third switch atop it (which opens the way deeper into intended progression). Apparently it's quite possible to use-flick through that invisible linedef fast enough to hit the actual switch proper behind it that you can bork the mechanism and keep the lift from ever raising, which locks you out of intended progression.

* HOWEVER.

It's quite possible to rocket-boost yourself to the red key from just inside one of the nooks with the little stairways. I tried it once, fucked it up, didn't have enough health for a second attempt since map 09's whole 'thing' is relative resource scarcity. You can also climb through the window from midway up the weird staircase to nothing near the player start point and hop over atop/past the stone plate which blocks the switch lowering the red key normally. You can apparently hit this switch from atop the plate if you stretch out just far enough, which of course represents a juicy skip, but it takes pixel-perfect positioning and if you screw it up you lose your whole run, like I did (no way to lower the plate from behind). I might've realized this myself, except I was, uh.....well....throwing just a wee bit of a hissy-fit at the time, TBH. Don't think I would've quite beat Krypto if I had been able to continue, but it would've been damn close.

* Damn you ninetieeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!*

As my parting gesture of defiance/contempt: I bring to anyone who still may have yet to attempt their run the secret of the BOSS CRUSHER:

Spoiler

After opening the blue bars, walk calmly past the gargoyle plates until you're right in front of the first crusher--different parts of the area activate on different walkover lines just past the bars, and if you screw around too much at the entrance you can totally bork the intended cycle timing. Provided you've done this, look at your automap, and identify the third square of the crusher-maze directly north of your position (it's the square directly across from the exit alcove, against the left wall). This square has a significantly longer crush cycle than any other square in the room, giving you time to stand under it for a few crucial moments while the squares nearby go through their cycles. All you have to do is make it to this square without getting crushed by one of the first two sections (which is the tricky part, you've got to wait for the right opening), and then wait there until the crusher one square east moves out of the way. Moving under it ASAP, you'll immediately be stopped again by the third square further to the east, but it's no biggy (this section is actually several squares which move in tandem); as soon as it moves you get a clean shot to the exit switch over the last three squares or so. Assuming you don't mess up the cycle timing when entering the room, you can consistently navigate the room with zero damage in this way.

I've played Insertion a fair few times in the past, incidentally, and I'd say I know it pretty well (though map 08 always manages to confuse me in one way or another). It's something of a 'forgotten gem' of its time, to use music marketing parlance, coming just a little too late to read like a coda to the vastly more well-known (and significantly dodgier, IMO) Requiem, which at the time was of course framed as something of a last hurrah for Doom mapping before everybody moved onto shinier, more modern engines. Little did they know we'd all still be here in 2017, eh?

Can't really pass up one of my favorite episodes. Here's my sloppy run at Insertion. Mostly recorded under the hot Manchego sun while everyone else was enjoying their siesta. Made it up to map07 before keeling over, but if the goal was to outlive Aquasa than I succeeded. It certainly is not a speedrun. Spectacle as near the end of map03 doomguy becomes braindead for an hour while I drive to the next town to grab groceries for dinner. Spectacle once more as a similar occurrence plays out in map06. I do so hope prboom has a function for skipping ahead some tics on demo playback. If not I probably recorded the most agonizing demo on the planet. And I'm proud.