Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Doom-themed mods for games: Review them here

NAME: Duke Nukem meets Doom 2
DOWNLOAD: Here.
FOR: Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium (1.4)/Atomic (1.5)
GAMETYPES: SinglePlayer/DM

This mod has three single-player episodes, and one episode full of DM maps. Old Duke3d monsters have Doom2 art and sounds (Eg. Liztroop-Imp, Pigcop-Shotgun Guy, etc.) and as a result, you WILL believe Imps can fly. I can't properly review sound at the mo, as I'm having trouble getting Duke3d to accept that I WILL use Interrupt 9 for my soundcard, NOT 7, but searching through the groupfile reveals one thing: The voice acting is hideous. Whoever did the voice should be given lessons on how to read enthusiastically. Or shot, whatever's easier. Weapons effects kinda suck, and overall, better luck next-time guys.

RATING: 5/10.

NAME: Doom Deathmatch Pack
DOWNLOAD:Here
FOR: Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium (1.4)/Atomic (1.5)
GAMETYPES: DM

A four episode DM map pack. There are two Doom episodes, one Hexen episode, and a mix-n-match ep. Almost all maps are original (Except Phobos Anomaly Remix, Dead Simple, Grosse, and three Hexen/Heretic maps) and are built in the old Doom, Doom2 and Hexen/Heretic style. Some pallete problems (The heavier reds and blues glow), no weapon mods, yet still fairly cool. And it has one of the worst map name puns I've read. (Floored Mayhem... HAW HAW.)

RATING: 8/10. (Add 1 if you can actually Deathmatch with mates and not rely on the crappy Dukebots)

Wolfdoom
----------
Dunno where to download it...

Anyway, this is what Doom would have looked like in Wolfenstein 3d's engine. There is a pistol, a plasma gun of sorts and the chaingun. Fists too! There are Marines, Imps, Spectres (they look gay), and Lost Souls. The enemies are terrible. The graphics suck, the sound is shitty, but I fucking love it. Why? The levels and action are superb! Nothing like walking in an office only to see a Marine pop out and start blasting the hell out of you. Great fun man...

8.5/10

Your path of distruction.

Doom mod for quake 1. Cool title screen, Cheesey as hell story, full of bugs. Most of the demons have been transformed into MDLs. has some remakes of Doom and Doom2 maps. but the mod is far too Hard and far too buggy to enjoy for more then a few seconds.

you can get it at planetquake.com in the mods section.

3.5/10

Liero: Doom Edition

An admirable attempt at converting Doom to the freeware worm dueling game, Liero. The original worm graphics have been changed to worms wearing space marine helmets. All the player weapons from Doom have been converted (including berserker), as well as these additions: imp fire thrower, cacodemon fire thrower, arachnotron plasma, archvile fire (not much like the original), lost soul summoner, cacodemon summoner, and a grenade launcher. Like in real Doom, you are only allowed to start with pistol and fist, all other weapons must be found in the bonus packages that spawn into the level during play. It also includes some maps which are not all that pretty, but seem to play well. Other gameplay aspects are more or less the same as with unmodified Liero. A nice TC, maybe it could have been a bit better, but fans of Doom and Liero will probably want to pick this one up.

Draconio rates it: 7 of 10

You can download it from here: http://lierobattleground.tripod.com/tc.html

Not exactly Doom related, but hey, it's iD related!

NAME: Wolf2Duke
DOWNLOAD: Here
FOR: Duke Nukem 3D Atomic (1.5)
GAMETYPES: Singleplayer, DM

This mod has Duke travveling back in time to stop a sinister Nazi plot, for some reason that isn't entirely clear. The pistol noise is VERY irritating, enemies have some very shabby coding, and whilst some maps are just DOOM rip-offs, others (Like Berlin) are very cool.

8/10

There was some Quake 2 remake of Knee Deep in the Dead. Unfortunately, the textures looked like shite and the new levels made for it were pretty weak.

the_Danarchist said:

There was some Quake 2 remake of Knee Deep in the Dead. Unfortunately, the textures looked like shite and the new levels made for it were pretty weak.

Yeah it was pretty gay.

There was Generations Arena. Unfortunately it won't work on my machine (Damn PC Mag Demo Disc)

Some Old Game (SOG) for quake2. It had doom2 monsters, weapons, wolf3d weapons, wolf3d monsters, and quake weapons. They never finished it, but it had like 7 levels... you can also pick up their source to make your maps with their stuff (I recreated map 7 using mancubuses and arachnotrons! it was awesome!)

http://www.planetquake.com/sog/

I can't wait for someone to do original Doom in the Doom3 engine. E1M2, you're my only friend...

DC

Generations Arena is VERY cool. Broadband people should get it, like, right fucking now.

The day I see E2M2 in the Doom III engine, I'll die a happy man.

Lord FlatHead said:

Generations Arena is VERY cool. Broadband people should get it, like, right fucking now.

The day I see E2M2 in the Doom III engine, I'll die a happy man.

Damnit, the day I see E1M1 and Map 01 in Doom 3, I'll be ultra-excited.